The Road to Dental School (Undergrad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moongoat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll try to make as concise as possible.

I'm currently an art major who is now interested in the possibility of becoming a dentist. I've always wanted a career where I'd be able to help people directly and before I considered art as a major (because I enjoy being creative), I was set to be a psychologist. For several reasons, that track no longer appeals to me.

I think I'd enjoy dentistry because I love working with my hands, helping others, and although I've never proclaimed to love science, I did enjoy biology in high school (I was in honors.) Of course, I still plan on shadowing a dentist to really see if this is something I'd like to pursue but in the meantime, I'd like to set up a plan for myself. With that said...

1) A major reason why I'm even considering this track is because as long as I attend a CSU or UC, my tuition will be paid for. So, that leaves UCSF or UCLA open for dental schools. However, I am aware that it is difficult to get into these schools (or at least I've read, UCSF.)

2) I'm currently attending SJSU and previously attended a CC (where I got my associates degree.) From what I have read, my chances of getting into UCSF from a CSU are slim and I'd be better off doing my undergrad at a UC.

- Would you say UC Davis or UC Berkeley would be a better choice?​

3) I have not done any of the lower division science courses. Does it matter where I do these courses? Because of the difficulty of transferring from a CSU up to a UC, I was considering going back to my CC to do my lower division courses then transferring to a UC.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Correct, UCLA (more calculated, high GPA/high DAT would be beneficial) and UCSF (more random and unpredictable) are two of the "top" schools in the nation. Not really a question in #1?
2. Either is fine, but higher GPA > school name and Berkeley is notoriously harder academically so Davis would likely give you the better GPA. Your decision.
3. If your goal is UCLA/UCSF then you should take your prerequisites at a 4-year university.

I have said this time and time again on here and can't emphasize it enough - GO TO A CSU ! It will not hold you back at all - I went to a CSU and was accepted to both UCLA and UCSF. The reason people think you have slim chance of getting accepted to dental school from a CSU is just because not a lot of CSU students apply to dental school as compared with UC students. In all honesty, a CSU will prepare you extremely well for dental school because most (if not all) of your science courses will be taught be full-time faculty that are focused on teaching and not on their research. You will never have grad students teaching your courses (at least I didn't) and if you study hard you will have no issues getting accepted anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can check my profile i ask the same question almost ten times and you will be shocked from the number of the people who told me it doesn't make difference if you attend a CSU/UC but if you see dental school tuition you need to don't have a debt of dental school csu is more cheaper than uc and at UC Davis or UC Berkeley you will have a lot of competition to have straight A's not like SJSU and your grades and DAT will be the important one
btw i will attend CSUB next fall as a freshman to take pre-request to attend dental school

1. Correct, UCLA (more calculated, high GPA/high DAT would be beneficial) and UCSF (more random and unpredictable) are two of the "top" schools in the nation. Not really a question in #1?
2. Either is fine, but higher GPA > school name and Berkeley is notoriously harder academically so Davis would likely give you the better GPA. Your decision.
3. If your goal is UCLA/UCSF then you should take your prerequisites at a 4-year university.

Nope, #1 wasn't a question. Thanks for the response!

I have said this time and time again on here and can't emphasize it enough - GO TO A CSU ! It will not hold you back at all - I went to a CSU and was accepted to both UCLA and UCSF. The reason people think you have slim chance of getting accepted to dental school from a CSU is just because not a lot of CSU students apply to dental school as compared with UC students. In all honesty, a CSU will prepare you extremely well for dental school because most (if not all) of your science courses will be taught be full-time faculty that are focused on teaching and not on their research. You will never have grad students teaching your courses (at least I didn't) and if you study hard you will have no issues getting accepted anywhere.

May I ask what CSU you went to? Although I'm at SJSU currently, I was thinking of trying to transfer to SFSU (they seem to have all the classes I'd need, their extra fees are much cheaper, and it's much closer to where I live.) Would you say any CSU would be okay?

you can check my profile i ask the same question almost ten times and you will be shocked from the number of the people who told me it doesn't make difference if you attend a CSU/UC but if you see dental school tuition you need to don't have a debt of dental school csu is more cheaper than uc and at UC Davis or UC Berkeley you will have a lot of competition to have straight A's not like SJSU and your grades and DAT will be the important one
btw i will attend CSUB next fall as a freshman to take pre-request to attend dental school

I've heard the same and was set on sticking with my CSU until I read a few threads last night that stated if you plan on attending UCSF, you had better attend a UC. But it does seem like it'll be less competition to get that high GPA at a CSU and that's what matters in the end.

Best of luck to you in your freshman year!

Nope, #1 wasn't a question. Thanks for the response!

May I ask what CSU you went to? Although I'm at SJSU currently, I was thinking of trying to transfer to SFSU (they seem to have all the classes I'd need, their extra fees are much cheaper, and it's much closer to where I live.) Would you say any CSU would be okay?

I've heard the same and was set on sticking with my CSU until I read a few threads last night that stated if you plan on attending UCSF, you had better attend a UC. But it does seem like it'll be less competition to get that high GPA at a CSU and that's what matters in the end.

Best of luck to you in your freshman year!
check the stats pf UCSF http://dentistry.ucsf.edu/admissions/dentistry-dds/admissions-cycle-statistics and you can make you final decision let's speak seriously UC's are so competitive to get the high grades that dental school and to transfer from a CSU to UC is hard you can transfer to CSULB or SDSU they are the top CSU that you can attend!! but if you are planning to transfer to UC can you give some information on how to transfer ?