The role of the interviewer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the role of the interviewer differ b/w school's?

I mean, if you left a bad impression on the person who interviewed you - is their voice the final one amongst a committee of 20-30 people?

Conversely, if you left a really good impression - can interviewers root for you, and how influential would this "rooting" be?

The dilemma I face, is that I just found out that the person who interviewed me will no longer be involved in the admissions process - so when the committee comes to my file, there's no one there to speak on my behalf, just some notes that was written down during the interview...

Is there something I can even do about this? I felt that I really connected with this person, and it was my best interview I felt - but all the committee will get is some notes - rather than an enthusiatic description of how pleasant and humble I am...b/c there's only so much you can express on paper, you can't express "tone" unless you're writing a novel....what a bizzare situation.

Members don't see this ad.

what a bizzare situation.

Not really bizarre, I think it is fairly common for an interviewer to simply write a review of the applicant, or even sometimes just grade the applicant and provide a numerical score.

Some schools just have the interviewer write a review, some places have the interviewer present your file in person to the committee, and at other schools the interviewer will present and have a vote.

This is what I have found out at my interviews, at least.

You're right, that is a bizarre situation (and I was actually thinking those exact words before I read that part of your post!) I don't really know what to say. The way I understand it, all admissions committees are different - in some the interview plays a major part while in others it is about equal to the scores. If you really felt that you connected well with the interview and had good answers to his/her questions, then I would think that they probably wrote good notes about you. I'm sure that the rest of the committee is going to consider the fact that there is no one speaking in your behalf - there are probably others in this situation as well.

In the end, I really don't think that this will affect you too much in the overall process, so I just wouldn't worry about it. If it's one of your top choices (or your top choice), why not send a letter of interest (or intent, if it applies) to the admissions office and try to develop a relationship with someone else who might speak for your behalf. Good luck!

Not really bizarre, I think it is fairly common for an interviewer to simply write a review of the applicant, or even sometimes just grade the applicant and provide a numerical score.

Some schools just have the interviewer write a review, some places have the interviewer present your file in person to the committee, and at other schools the interviewer will present and have a vote.

This is what I have found out at my interviews, at least.

That's what I thought - it differs for different schools.

Here's the greatest part - my interviewer told me that his/her purpose is to be at the meeting so when any member asks about something questionable about my file, he/she is there to explain it.

Well, now it looks like all I have is a sheet of notes.