The Sanders Tax Plan...the end of physician life as we know it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys have brought some amazing points and this thread has caused me to think a lot about how I would feel in each scenario presented. In regards to being a one-issue voter for a paycheck regardless of what else that candidate may spewing, that can present a challenge for some; particularly those people who have been targeted or have loved ones who have been targeted, either directly or indirectly, by the same bigotry that a candidate outwardly supports. If I were even close to being an attending, it wouldn't be such a no-brainer decision. In a way, voting for that person could prove an anathema to my experience. I certainly don't disagree with some of the points you've made because as a physician you've worked your ass to get to where you are and you should be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor but sometimes the answer isn't so cut and dry.
Voting has always been a choice of the "lesser of evils" for me. I wish it wasn't that way, but it seems it usually is.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to point out something. I'm a self-avowed Liberal. I practically throw up in my mouth when I think about the Republican party and Conservative thinking in general. I read Jacobin mag for chrissakes. But it's incredible how quickly residency can make you start to sympathize with posts like above.

I guess my point is, any liberal-minded medical students on here who are reading the above... reserve judgement until you're out in 'the real world'.

I always say it: I'm a Green Party liberal but every day my patients push me to become right wing Republican.

I mean, the rampant abuse we see is just amazing. I'm telling you: the guy said he was on disability for having an asthma attack. One asthma attack. Once. Wtf. Mind blowing.

This line of work gives you a very low opinion of people and how lazy/pathetic they are.

Personally, I'm voting for Frank Underwood and his Jobs for America program. If you have four limbs and no major disability, you should work to get aid. I don't care if it's complete BS work moving boxes back and forth, but you should be forced to do some form of work to get aid.

My wife calls me Ted Cruz for saying this, but alas, my patients are pushing me to this view. I'm all about helping the poor and I absolutely believe in giving taxes and charity to those less blessed. But, there is an ethic of work that should be encouraged.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I always say it: I'm a Green Party liberal but every day my patients push me to become right wing Republican.

I mean, the rampant abuse we see is just amazing. I'm telling you: the guy said he was on disability for having an asthma attack. One asthma attack. Once. Wtf. Mind blowing.

This line of work gives you a very low opinion of people and how lazy/pathetic they are.

Personally, I'm voting for Frank Underwood and his Jobs for America program. If you have four limbs and no major disability, you should work to get aid. I don't care if it's complete BS work moving boxes back and forth, but you should be forced to do some form of work to get aid.

My wife calls me Ted Cruz for saying this, but alas, my patients are pushing me to this view. I'm all about helping the poor and I absolutely believe in giving taxes and charity to those less blessed. But, there is an ethic of work that should be encouraged.
I always wondered how anyone could work more than 6 weeks in a busy ED and not be mercilessly pushed to the right, politically. There's no better window to the real world, the irreparable imperfections of humanity and the futility of the systems designed to fix what's unfixable, in a fallen world.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I always wondered how anyone could work more than 6 weeks in a busy ED and not be mercilessly pushed to the right, politically. There's no better window to the real world, the irreparable imperfections of humanity and the futility of the systems designed to fix what's unfixable, in a fallen world.

Hopefully I'll switch into academics within the next two years and then I can go back to being a smug liberal elitist. Looking forward to it. That's where I'm most comfortable lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully I'll switch into academics within the next two years and then I can go back to being a smug liberal elitist. Looking forward to it. That's where I'm most comfortable lol.
It's definitely much easier to do that while protected in academia and dealing with academic models of how humanity is supposed to act and respond, than on the front lines of dealing with actual humanity in practice. They are two very different things, with little in common, as you clearly seem to understand. The latter is highly overrated, as you've noted.

Before you get too high and mighty about "stupid yanks" please understand a few things. The US healthcare system has some major problems (mainly spending too much on futile care, unwillingness to ration care in a meaningful way and administrative bloat) for various cultural and historical reasons. Unfortunately, "progressive" taxes and how much doctors "care" about helping people here has almost nothing to do with that.

In addition, before you throw rocks think about how much money your country spends (in relation to gdp and the usa) on
1) medical education
2) military defense of other countries
3) drug and medical research
4) supporting immigrant populations

Healthcare outcome comparisons wont be fair until US citizens aren't subsidizing other countries by paying 100k for a hepatitis C drug that is then sold in another country for 100 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Oh by military defines of other countries you mean israel. So what you mean to say is "oh look at how much war and terror we supply".

Oh yes, public health initiatives.
Give me a break.
If all you have is cheap, low nutrient, caloric dense foods available on the cheap at every corner do you think most poor folks with their iPhones supplied by the gov't is going to pay extra for good quality, healthy food options? No. There's a BK, McDs at every corner, name your favorite cheap TV dinner readily available at the local Walmart. The poor food choices in this country is what has led to the epidemic we now have. It wasn't the case 40-50 years ago. European and Asian countries buying into the Western diet have shown a similar rise in obesity and similar comorbid diseases.
Did our Public Health initiatives suddenly disappear? Hell no. If anything, it's become more prominent.

Don't kid yourself. All our issues would mostly disappear if we had better food options that were cheaper or if individuals below the poverty line would quit having multiple kids from multiple individuals and try to live a healthier life. Instead, it's how many kids can we have, when can we light up our next cig, and which McD's menu do we want to buy dinner from all the while collecting welfare checks.

So the culture of poverty is what is driving the **** food industry's sales through the roof? Great insight!

Spoken like a true redneck.

You know your country was built on the remains of a penal colony, right? Not so sure you guys are the ones to be throwing the redneck barb around.

I'm pretty sure that you get my point. Its not hard to grasp.

Capitalism is alive and well down under; great. So, why are you so vocal about the glorious benefits of your state-run social/communist healthcare system?

Your last sentence; spoken like a true medical student.
I still actually don't. So anything that is state-run is now communist?

You know your country was built on the remains of a penal colony, right? Not so sure you guys are the ones to be throwing the redneck barb around.
You'd think yeah? but look where we're at...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh by military defines of other countries you mean israel. So what you mean to say is "oh look at how much war and terror we supply".

Yeah, Israel but also all of EU/NATO, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan. The US has about 150,000 troops stationed for the defense of these countries, which is several times larger than the Australian Army, Navy and Air Force combined. This helps ensure that neither the US nor it's allies will ever lose a war to any large, flightless birds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

Yeah, Israel but also all of EU/NATO, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan. The US has about 150,000 troops stationed for the defense of these countries, which is several times larger than the Australian Army, Navy and Air Force combined. This helps ensure that neither the US nor it's allies will ever lose a war to any large, flightless birds.

...and Kazaki was never heard from again.

It's definitely much easier to do that while protected in academia and dealing with academic models of how humanity is supposed to act and respond, than on the front lines of dealing with actual humanity in practice. They are two very different things, with little in common, as you clearly seem to understand. The latter is highly overrated, as you've noted.

Having worked in community and academic shops I'd say that my dextrophilia has been more acutely stimulated by academic environments - not only are such EDs magnets for the most "entitled" members of society, I also got a much better view of the problems of government intervention while working for the State.

Unless your claim is that, by getting a lower salary I'm less inclined to vote against higher incremental taxes - in that case you might have a point.

...wait, why am I jumping on a thread that ran off the rails 2 pages ago? I should know better.

Having worked in community and academic shops I'd say that my dextrophilia has been more acutely stimulated by academic environments - not only are such EDs magnets for the most "entitled" members of society, I also got a much better view of the problems of government intervention while working for the State.

Unless your claim is that, by getting a lower salary I'm less inclined to vote against higher incremental taxes - in that case you might have a point.

...wait, why am I jumping on a thread that ran off the rails 2 pages ago? I should know better.
I have no idea what my point was. Does there need to be one?

Lol

Yeah for the defence of these countries. That wouldn't need defending if it weren't for your government's constant creation of terror and war globally.

A progressively obnoxious medical student.

...and Kazaki was never heard from again.
Now I agree with the "myth" that Americans are stupid.

Kazaki: I'm very strongly pro-peace/anti-war and a strong opponent of U.S. foreign policy. But, do you think you really are reaching any hearts or minds in the way you are approaching this?

I assure you that Americans are *not* stupid. In fact, the United States leads the world in research, both in the humanities and sciences. The reason that this myth exists--of American "stupidity"--is that American television/movies dominate around the globe, so people see our average Joe's and Jane's, many of whom aren't the smartest or most educated folks. However, these sorts of people exist in every country.

Even in our own specialty--of Emergency Medicine--the United States leads the rest of the world. Clearly, Americans are *not* stupid.

This thread should just be closed. And burned.

Reactions: 1 users
Locked as the discussion stopped being civil or relevant to EM.

Status
Not open for further replies.