The "scene" at UChicago????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MGoBlue13

Grizzled Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at a few schools right now, and the program at UChicago looks awesome. But one question.... is it possible to have fun and be a student there? I've heard that students there don't seem to have much of a social life.... and that the ladies in the general student body aren't exactly what most would call dateable.....

If anyone knows that it is not true, please help me!

Members don't see this ad.

Any UChicago students out there????

I'm not a UChicago med student...but i do know a couple of people who go there....two md/phd and a couple of M-1s.....

they seem to like it all right.....U of C has a lot of class time, but you don't have to go....my general impression of the student body, when I visit my friends, is that they are all a little bit...um...eccentric. Everyone there was different. I'm not sure how to explain it, but they all have that "different" personality. Not that I'm bashing U of C students in any way ( I would kill to go there!) Anyways, they definately do have time to have a social life...the only downside is that you definately need a car to travel to Chicago...public transportation from Hyde Park is a little dangerous!

The girls there seem nice...but being a girl, I don't really have a boy's prespective on things.
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything to do in Hyde Park? I'm trying to order the Chicago schools, so I know NU has a great location.

But I've heard that the residencies that students get from U of C are better than those of the NU students.... is this true, or am I grossly misinformed?

i don't have any hard facts or numbers concerning residency placement but i'm sure the general opinion is NWU and UChicago being the top two, followed by Rush,UIC,Loyola, and at the end SIU and ChicagoMed.

NWU and UChicago are COMPLETELY different in terms of class size and the amount of time spent in classes. NWU has something like no more than 4 hours a day, a much bigger student body,etc. So picking between the two shouldn't be hard...just whichever one suits your learning style the best
Anywyas, both are top 20 schools so there shouldn't be that big of a difference in placement

In my opinion, I would then put UIC, Rush, Loyola in that order....just because UIC is relatively cheap if your an IL resident..and the people at Rush are super nice so that comes in second :)

hyde park is known for its artsy stuff and its a cute place. There are some bars and book stores to hang out in over there...but i believe most people travel up to Chicago to have fun....

Hello all-

I'm a Pritzker graduate, class of '02. PM me with some specific questions and I'd be happy to answer them.

By the way, Hyde Park is not a suburb of Chicago - it is a South Side neighborhood well within city limits. Public transportation (bus/train) are perfectly safe - I have taken both all too many times. Yes, a car is helpful.

To me, Hyde Park is a dull residential neighborhood. I moved to the much more happening North Side during medical school.

Good luck to you all during this process.

Originally posted by keptium
i don't have any hard facts or numbers concerning residency placement but i'm sure the general opinion is NWU and UChicago being the top two, followed by Rush,UIC,Loyola, and at the end SIU and ChicagoMed.

In my opinion, I would then put UIC, Rush, Loyola in that order....just because UIC is relatively cheap if your an IL resident..and the people at Rush are super nice so that comes in second :)

Rush higher than Loyola?...I interviewed at both and was really much more impressed by the program at Loyola. People were very nice at both schools, but both me and another interviewer I was talking to both thought Loyola was the better school...

Of course my personal opinion probably conflicts with that of the residency directors...

I PM'd you, Ratty

Hey everyone-

Northwestern has a great name, sure...but my parents have a lot of contacts on the academic side of a lot of Chicago places, and they claim that last year, UIC actually had better matches than Northwestern...UChicago is the undisputed #1...in everything in Illinois.

But I've met a lot of NWU students lately, and they all love it there, I believe both their 1st and 2nd years are Pass/Fail.

To MGoBlue13-
I am interviewing at UChicago tomorrow and have spent the day hanging around the medical school main building. I am not sure what you meant by "undateable" but no one I have seen is hideously disfigured or even all that bad looking. NOt to mention the totally obvious fact that your position is sort of reductive, ie there is more to the dateability of people than their looks. People seems really nice here. The student i am staying with likes to party and she sugested we go to a pub tonight. Seems pretty social. I don't know what your supermodel looks are like but I think unless you're brad pitt you could find someone here to date.