The scoop on EV VCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, here goes nothing. I still have to go fill out the interview feedback but thought maybe writing some would jog my mem a bit.

First, if you are invited to VCOM I HIGHLY suggest showing up a day early to make sure you find the correct building for the interview. Second, I highly recommend the Hampton Inn in Christensburg/Blacksburg, the accomodations are excellent, internet access in the lobby (they have a comp setup) and data connections for modem in room, an excellent breakfast and its only $8 more than the comfort Inn if you get the cheapest rates for both and compare online. Also drive around, blacksburg and christenburg have malls, shops, stores and a nice selection of restaurants, CHEAP GAS PRICES TOO! V tech is an unbelieveable campus, its beautiful and HUGE. Buildings going up EVERYWHERE!

ok now to the stuff that really matters, the school. As I have said, the main medical building is incomplete. Projected completion is sometime in April 2003. From the floor plans I saw it looks like the building will house two lecture halls of 160 seats (for class size 150), one 80-computer computer lab, huge anatomy lab, case study rooms, and separate OMM rooms. Dr. Rawlins stated that she did not like the commotion of a single big room OMM class so there are about 5-6 OMM rooms for teaching divided off.

Turns out the 5 of us (me and four others) were the first students ever to interview at VCOM and everyone was excited to see us as we were to be there. Dean Rawlins is awesome, very nice, down to early and knows exactly what she wants her college to be like. The dean of the college was the person who started the day with a powerpt presentation about the school, its curriculum, goals and a bunch of slides about what osteopathic medicine is (I think I know why those were included). If anyone in my group was listening to her, she stated that they had just gotten back from UVA for a presentation on Osteopathic medicine and VCOM so I suspect there was a little recycling of powerpt presentations. Either way it was a good refresher. After the hour presentation we were hauled off to three separate, half-hour interviews with faculty. I interviewed with two DO's and a Ph.D. prof that is going to be teaching physio. Fairly standard interview questions with some outliers. SO, after interviews were finished they took the 5 of us out to lunch at a nice sandwich restaurant that was excellent. They drove us around Blacksburg and Christensburg showing us the type of (*AMAZING*) apts avail for living possibilites. Came back to campus had a very short meeting with the financial aid woman and another with the registrar (bless Nann's little heart), and the day was done by 3ish.

Some things to note:
-Dean Rawlin's came from KCOM
-She wants VCOM to do a lot of clinical research on patient care in the US.
-She is so confident in the curriculum and her faculty that all VCOM students are required to take both USMLE and COMLEX.
-VCOM was the first DO school to make it through the 5-step accreditation process flawlessly.
-dress code consists of nice pants and collared shirts (ties not required).
-VCOM wants to try and graduate ~50% of its graduates to rural medical practices, be prepared for those questions
-deposit is $1000, time of response from acceptance is unknown
-We will be finding out within two weeks about the interview.

my impression:
This school has its S*** together. They're aiming to compete for the position of top DO school in the US and are doing everything in their power to build an extremely strong program. The faculty and staff are ambitious and friendly. I went in with apprehension and came out with excitement and enthusiasm. This is the kind of school you have to see for yourself. I can not possibly convey the feeling in the air the dean put, but you know when the day is over there's something special being built in Blacksburg.

suggestion:
if you can afford the trip don't pass this up

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

I'll post more as I remember more.

Members don't see this ad.

sweet, sounds like an awesome place. I hope I get a call from them...

Ouch, sounds like I missed out on a great opportunity! Unfortunately my credit card balance is approaching the lead ceiling, and I couldn't afford anything else on it unless it was a deposit! I'm sorry, though, to have turned down the interview offer.

WannabeDO

Members don't see this ad :)
H0mer,

Did you meet at the VCOM building to start out the day?

no, find building 1700 I think it is, if you read the signs along that road you'll find where you should be...

hehe... You owe the fact that it is the only school to make it through acceditation flawlessly to Pikeville baby. That's right, you guys are in our OPTI, so anyway.... Welcome to the Osteopathic Family. We are glad to help a bother out. :)

By the time the first class graduates, there will be plenty of intern and residency opportunites available...at least for FP.

Originally posted by H0mersimps0n

-She is so confident in the curriculum and her faculty that all VCOM students are required to take both USMLE and COMLEX.

This is bullcrap. How can they expect that? Are they going to pay? Are they going to study for you? Completely ridiculous and assanine expectation.

Here we go. Don't they see the complaints from students at other schools with similar expectations?

-VCOM wants to try and graduate ~50% of its graduates to rural medical practices, be prepared for those questions

Good luck.

My opinion. Other than that, good for them. I wish them, and all attending, the best of luck. And the best of luck on the USMLEs.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by JPHazelton
Originally posted by H0mersimps0n

This is bullcrap. How can they expect that? Are they going to pay? Are they going to study for you? Completely ridiculous and assanine expectation.

Here we go. Don't they see the complaints from students at other schools with similar expectations?

Good luck.

My opinion. Other than that, good for them. I wish them, and all attending, the best of luck. And the best of luck on the USMLEs.

:rolleyes:

Well I don't think having to take both boards is assanine, it may be a little harsh but I think you have to put yourself in their shoes and realize that as a new medical school you are in the limelight and having to prove your worth to everyone and anyone possible. If that means graduating a high percentage of students that pass both, I'd say that's fairly impressive.

The dress code is nothing more than respectable clothing. UNECOM has the same exact policy and in both cases for both schools it is because patients often roam the medical buildings. I guess if your hypersensitive about what you wear day in and day out schools like this aren't for you.

Dean Rawlins stated some literature about projected number of physicians over the next 5-10 years and said that projection studies from 10 years ago were grossly off and that we are heading into a massive physician shortage. The first to suffer is the rural areas, hence the focus on the southern virginia areas and rural appliachian areas.

Sure is easy to critize when you're top dog isn't it?

Homer,

Thanks so much for all the info on your experience at VCOM. Since the interview feedback section doesnt have VCOM yet, I was wondering if you could please post the interview questions that you had.

Thanks!

h4am;)

I hope the best for VCOM. In my personal opinion, coming from another DO school, i think in the next 5-10 years, VCOM will be at the top of the list in terms of reputation. Off course, thats just my opinion. The fact that they are more research oriented attracts better professors that are at the cutting edge of medicine, and are able to teach that to their students. On top of that, having the resources of VT doesn't hurt either. Right now, they are private, but sooner or later, they are bound to merge with VT permanantly, with is good for the DO profession in general. Good luck and welcome future VCOMer's

Just my two cents, but I think making osteopathic students take the USMLE in addtion to the COMLEX is insulting. This is telling me that the dean of the medical school doesn't think that passing the COMLEX is truly representative of a competent physician-in-training. I don't know why some people are impressed by this... it screams "we're just as good as those M.D.s!"

If the two branches, M.D. and D.O., are truly equivalent, then their licensing examinations must likewise be equivalent. VCOM is somehow suggesting that it isn't.

That's embarassing, folks.

on the contrary, I think it's making a powerful statement toward exactly that. Shouting "we're just as good" isn't all that bad. I also think the idea is to eventually be able to shout "we're better" lol... just kidding

It's a bold move, IMO its not insulting and in reality it gives graduates a greater selection of residency choices post-grad. That seems to be a great thing if what I've heard is true and there are only 30% DO residencies avail and the rest 70% have to do MD... an excellent move.

I think it's putting a big burden on the school in only its first year.

What if they have a 65% pass rate on the USMLE?

Will people say "Well, the school is brand new."

Or will they say "See, look at those DOs...they dont know anything."

On the other hand, they could kick ass on the USMLE. That would look very good for the school.

I still think it's a terrible idea. I agree with the comment that it's insulting.

Easy to stand up for a school that has yet to prove itself.

Time will tell I suppose.

By *LAW* "We're Just as Good" as M.D.s. The matter was settled legally, so it is over. We need to stop trying to prove it by constantly comparing ourselves with them. We won the war over 40 years ago... let's stop trying to re-enact battles.

I just hope ole VCOM is ready to pick up the tab, because the boards may soon be costing you guys over $1200 for part 2 -- if they implement the practical component like they are planning. Both the COMLEX and USMLE are planning to do this. It may require students to travel to a central testing center (sorry, rooming accomodations not provided) for standardized testing conditions. If you have to do this for both tests, you're talking $2400 for part 2. I had to borrow, beg, and steal to come up with the $300 I had to pay for part II of the COMLEX (only).