the score on my first DAT diagnostic test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwantmydds2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got 17 on the academics part, and 17 on PAT.
I did not have any prior preparation for the diagnostic test when I took the test. Do you think that is a good start and that I might be able to get a flying score? Or does that only mean I will have less score increase potential?
Thank you guys for helping.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a fine start, no worries. With a little effort, you should be good to go. Try to bring your numbers to above 20.

What exam did you take? Some exams are harder than others.

That is about where I started and I got a 22 AA after about six weeks of studying. Just remember to study hard and do a lot of practice problems and practice tests.

Yeah, Barrons = easy, Kaplan = not too difficult Topscore = more accurate\

I had pretty high averages on Barrons and Kaplan and I received an 18 on my DAT and PAT. 18 was what I scored on Topscore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Kaplan's.
The thing is I ran out of time on the reading section and PAT section.
Or is that normal for the "first-timer"?

I took Kaplan's.
The thing is I ran out of time on the reading section and PAT section.
Or is that normal for the "first-timer"?

dude you're fine...most people score like 14-15's on the kaplan diag, and then many turn around and get 20+ on the real deal. its all about how much studying you put into it...don't read into the diag too much and don't stress about it.

dude you're fine...most people score like 14-15's on the kaplan diag, and then many turn around and get 20+ on the real deal. its all about how much studying you put into it...don't read into the diag too much and don't stress about it.

The stress can get intense when you see scores on the diag. saying Chem 11! and PAT 16, QR 15, RC 15 ... Scary! Specially when you need 20 and higher on the DAT.

I been putting in almost 10hrs aday for a month now and I don't see much of a change is my stats. Worried. :scared: I have been using all the materials and advise given and seems like a brain break down. Any advise in "Studying Hard."

Working on practice tests is key; focus on the sections where you are weak; time yourself; flashcards helped me a lot on the bio section; for QR, go through practice problems until you can't take it anymore, and come up with little strategies for arriving at the answer w/o doing all the work the problem asks for (ie: estimating and plugging in numbers). I did horrible on my diagnostic, though I took it hungover on a saturday morning.

I would do a practice test once a week or once every two weeks until the last month before you take the test, then i would take a practice test every other day. Note that I am speaking of full length tests AND subject tests. Taking a 6 hour test every other day can burn you out. It is good practice though to lock the doors and do at least 5 real time DAT's before the actual one.

Good luck!

I wouldn't worry about it. I started below that and got a 24 AA. Just stick with it studying and you'll do well.

Memorize Kaplan and get ahold of their practice tests and you will do well.

I wouldn't worry about it. I started below that and got a 24 AA. Just stick with it studying and you'll do well.

Memorize Kaplan and get ahold of their practice tests and you will do well.

Where would I get Kaplan practice tests?

don't worry a bit...I scored 14-15 across the board on the diagnostic and got a 26 AA on the real thing...

i've been lightly studying for two weeks and i've only taken the natural science section and i got 16/14/12
i've never felt so tense taking a test before and it was only half of it!
i'm praying things improve in two months:scared:

If its any consolation, I went up 8 points from my Kaplan diagnostic to the real thing. With not so crazy studying,either.

What was your format of studying to raise your points?

What was your format of studying to raise your points?

I saw your PM--sorry I havent replied.

During the Kaplan class I just sort of followed along with the schedule they gave,with minimal extra studying. This was mid June-July. Class ended mid July,so I got Schaums for Chem,Bio, and Orgo, and Topscore and Achiever. I made a packet of notes for the Bio for each topic using Kap Review Notes and the Schaums wherever the Kaplan was lacking, and then just used Kaplan for Chem and Orgo(the schaums for these two subjects was overkill IMO). I did Topscore first(which was on the easy side), and then bought Destroyer about 2 weeks before my test. I went through that in a few days, and referred back to my notes for things I was consistently getting wrong. I did Achiever during this time as well, and although it was nitpicky and tough, Destroyer(and Dr.Romano) helped immensely. The last few days before my test I was wired enough to not sleep(DONT DO THIS,THEY TRIED TO FINGERPRINT ME LIKE THREE TIMES AND MY HANDS WERE SHAKING SO BADLY I ENDED UP WITH INK EVERYWHERE!) and just did Destroyer problems over and over and over and over. I took my test on 9/11---ended up with 99.X% AA.

Although it looks like I studied alot, I actually REALLY studied only six weeks, the bulk of studying got done in the last three. The concepts on the test are far more basic than the details you will see on some of the practice tests out there, and if youre going to buy Destroyer, make sure you've been through Kaplan first and know your basic sci stuff,otherwise it'll be useless.

SDN search this forum for the "amsies dat destroyer review" thread. A bunch of us posted bio and some orgo questions back and forth in there that helped when we were studying. Any other questions, PM me and I'll get back to you.

Good luck:luck:

During the Kaplan class I just sort of followed along with the schedule they gave,with minimal extra studying. This was mid June-July. Class ended mid July,so I got Schaums for Chem,Bio, and Orgo, and Topscore and Achiever. I made a packet of notes for the Bio for each topic using Kap Review Notes and the Schaums wherever the Kaplan was lacking, and then just used Kaplan for Chem and Orgo(the schaums for these two subjects was overkill IMO). I did Topscore first(which was on the easy side), and then bought Destroyer about 2 weeks before my test. I went through that in a few days, and referred back to my notes for things I was consistently getting wrong. I did Achiever during this time as well, and although it was nitpicky and tough, Destroyer(and Dr.Romano) helped immensely. The last few days before my test I was wired enough to not sleep(DONT DO THIS,THEY TRIED TO FINGERPRINT ME LIKE THREE TIMES AND MY HANDS WERE SHAKING SO BADLY I ENDED UP WITH INK EVERYWHERE!) and just did Destroyer problems over and over and over and over. I took my test on 9/11---ended up with 99.X% AA.

Although it looks like I studied alot, I actually REALLY studied only six weeks, the bulk of studying got done in the last three. The concepts on the test are far more basic than the details you will see on some of the practice tests out there, and if youre going to buy Destroyer, make sure you've been through Kaplan first and know your basic sci stuff,otherwise it'll be useless.

SDN search this forum for the "amsies dat destroyer review" thread. A bunch of us posted bio and some orgo questions back and forth in there that helped when we were studying. Any other questions, PM me and I'll get back to you.

Hi amsie, it might seem wierd to ask,but do you remember roughly how many words are there per LINE on the reading comp. passsages on the actual DAT. 10? 15? 20? Lines are really long in Kaplan tests( about 23 words per line).Please respond. thank you.

Dont even worry about it my first diagnostic i also got a 17 and on the real DAT after intense studying i pulled off a 22 so dont worry just study a lot and dont put yourself down.

those are good scores on the practice tests. the practice tests tend to be harder than the real test.... so with some studying you should do well.
good luck.

Thank you, I did find the bio thread it was great! I printed it up and re-typed the Q/A's. I haven't found the Orgo thread yet but have picked up a few here and there. I did buy the "Destroyer" but, I am not ready for it yet. I read the Kaplan and then, try some destroyer questions. Practice test with Topscore mostly.

Listen to Amsie. She's knows what she's talking about...Actually Amsie, I never really read your dat destroyer review, but after reading this post it seems that we did everything similarly...Kaplan --> Schaums --> Topscore --> Destroyer and Achiever --> Freak out --> Take DAT --> Sigh a lot and smile.

- Dudewhensmydat