The secondary count

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loki

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my 37th secondary (Stanford...it took three months to get this one)

Vote status

Overall easiest: Boston U

Overall toughest: The University of Kansas

Overall tougest essays: Duke, Pritzker

Time to relax a bit...Oh crap...Homework...Nevermind

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity...

How much did it cost to send out 37 secondaries?

Originally posted by JPHazelton:
•Just out of curiosity...

How much did it cost to send out 37 secondaries?•

How much could I afford to get into medical school an fufill my dreams?

I would give everything I have.

I could not have afforded to miss any opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Loki:

How much could I afford to get into medical school an fufill my dreams?

I would give everything I have.

I could not have afforded to miss any opportunity.•

Shoot, props on the dedication. I wish I could afford to send that many out! I think 5 to 10 schools will be my max per try. Lets hope it only takes one try!

Loki, very impressive! Way to go!!! :D

Just finished nos. 17 and 18 (Tufts and Pittsburgh. Don't ask me why I procrastinated so long on Tufts -- it was ridiculously easy).

Still on my desk -- Keck and UWSOM.

Still waiting on Albany and Wake Forest.

My votes for easiest: Columbia, Boston and Mayo. Actually, the award goes to Columbia -- they don't even ask for more money, the primary app is it. But it would have to be Tufts if we're talking schools that actually
have a secondary to fill out.

Toughest: Pittsburgh's moral/ethical dilemma essay and Case Western's essay on anything (probably did my best writing here, though).

Thank God I've graduated. :) Now just have to get those last two out and get a job. And keep my lawyer on AMCAS to verify my app which I submitted over 10 weeks ago! :mad:

Still waiiting on one letter of rec to send out my first. 37...geeze.

My vote for the easiest: Cincinatti. They basically duplicated the AMCAS app online, and I think its much more user friendly. AMCAS could learn something from them. And they're not asking for more money :) .

My vote for the hardest: Probably Keck, since they've got what, 7 essay questions?

Oh yeah, that's out of the 17 I've received so far from the 25 schools I applied to.

Originally posted by none:
•Still waiiting on one letter of rec to send out my first. 37...geeze.•

Why are you waiting on a LOR to send out secondaries? :confused: I've been sending them out for a couple of months, and I just last week got my last letter writer to get his letter to my school letter service.

Because I don't trust this letter writer. His letter is very, very important...but it's been 2 and a half months. I'm leery of putting his name down on the apps as much as I remind him and he guarantees me it'll get done.

I had done 21 and thought that was an abusrd amount of applications---and quite expensive may I add. But 37????? I am impressed with your dedication!

The only one I have left is Stanford, which doesn't seem interested in giving you a secondary unless the AMCAS goons have granted you the totally random prize of being verified. Needless to say, after three months I am still waiting to be verified. Go AMCAS... :p

Wow...37 secondaries?! That's pretty impressive. :eek: I just finished my 17th today after having it sit on my desk for like a month.

Not to offend anyone, but do adcoms really look favorably on applying to 30+ med schools? Does it hurt your chances?

They don't look at all. They don't get that info and you don't volunteer it.

the Primary: $150 + $30 addt'l [$540]
the Secondary: $20-95 [$655]
the Suit: borrowed some, bought some [$200]
a couple flights: $400
the chance to fulfill the dream of being a Doctor: priceless

some things money can't buy, for the rest, it's AMCAS

Excellent post, USef! Loki, I only applied to Chicago schools, have secondaries for all except Finch and Loyola. Found them all easy, but Pritzker's a pain. Still have not finished it.