The Seven People You'll Meet on SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Seven People You'll meet on SDN

All is not bright sunshine on your journey through the SDN wonderland, but then those of you who are smart enough to realize that will probably have good careers as doctors. A few folks you'll run into, though, will act as a guide for you. You'll model yourself after them, and you'll either succeed or fail-- just as they do. If you're lucky, you'll choose the successful ones. Others you'll meet but say little to. A few...well you just won't get along, but it isn't because either of you is innately evil....it'll just be a personality thing.

Maybe the worst person you'll ever run into is probably the supportive troll. Who is that again you might ask? He's the fellow who starts out really good and seems to have good intentions. He rarely crosses the line of being really bad....but he's an instigator. He loves to provoke the others then sit back and watch the mayhem. Oh, he really thrives on the attention you give him. Finally, though, he'll cross the line a time or two and get himself banned...except it isn't over then. He's like any monster from any horror movie you've ever seen. He will re-incarnate himself soon enough. If you make him mad, he'll do it ten times a day...then you won't see him for a while. He'll innocently sneak back into your life and, before you know it, he'll be sitting back laughing at you and reveling in your attention.

Who's next? There's the multiple personality troll. He's the guy who has two to three accounts at one time. He actually talks to himself to fan the fires when nobody else is around. If he's especially devious, he'll open accounts months in advance...just so he can say he's been around for awhile. Later, he'll begin his mission of evil and destruction. He might even play the “good coop, bad cop” routine amongst his own personalities.

What would life be like without the opinionated troll. He doesn't really cause a lot of mayhem, but his opinion is written in stone like SDN dogma. There is no quantity of “proof” which can convince this troll otherwise.

While were at it, we should probably look at the “show me a study” troll, whose main thrill in life is to demand a study that proves everything. Water doesn't run downhill; Abe Lincoln wasn't president; computers don't require electricity...none of it is true without a study to “prove” it.

OK. So, what's next. There's the newb troll. The newb troll just can't be bothered to look things up for himself. Yes, there was a thread there yesterday, but the newb troll claims ignorance in all matters because he hasn't been here very long. Note that some newb trolls now have thousands of posts. We aren't buying it anymore.

OK....that's five people already and we haven't come to the good ones yet. Is it time for them? Nope. Not yet. There is also the undefined troll. He appears when you least expect it, does his dirty work and is gone before you know it. You won't remember him next year....but he left a long-lasting influence on you. Some time in the future you may be at the psychiatrist's office having regression therapy done...and you'll remember.

Hmmmm....well that doesn't leave many people that are good does it? I mean we already have six SDN types and only one to go, right? Fortunately, this is the good news. There are many more of these type seven people than any other on SDN. In fact, probably 95% of SDN users are the final type. The final type doesn't even have a name. Why? Because we realize that there really is nothing special about us. We're just common folk, working our way through college or medical school on a limited budget, with a little free time to spare and a willingness to share our ideas, thoughts, and recollections with each other. We make up the bulk of the users on SDN-- the good ones. Yes, sometimes we may cross the line when we meet one of the trolls who frequent our lives, but we're good people at heart.

Why can't everyone be good? Why do there have to be those awful trolls? Well... that;s just a part of life. You spend all your energy trying to defeat them...but eventually they come back, like the undead. Is there any hope? Yes, there is always hope. The nasty ones feed off of your bitterness and anger. They wallow in your hate. They live only because you give them the power to survive. They cannot survive without being fed. Do not give them your anger, or your bitterness, or your hate. Do not give them the time of the day. Give them nothing! When you feed them...in a small way you become a part of them. Do not let them become a part of your life.

This has been a paid political advertisement by the People for a Better SDN Committee.

Members don't see this ad.

That was freakin' awesome scpod!! :clap: You even brought a tear to my eye. :cry:

good writing. How about another thread about the seven people you'll meet at DO school?

Members don't see this ad :)
good writing. How about another thread about the seven people you'll meet at DO school?

Oooh that would be great too! We will be eagerly anticipating the next installment. :D

Very nice Scpod. :love:

Why can't everyone be good? Why do there have to be those awful trolls? Well... .

Allow me to answer this

When God made the world....
GodSprinklesJerks.jpg

great thread lol. I haven't seen too many trolls about lately, but together we can put an end to trolling :thumbup:

anyway i happened to come across this in my perusal of "teh interwebs"

http://www.theunderweardrawer.org/twelvemedstudents.html

enjoy.

okay i have to say, i LOVE this girl's blog. she's been doing it for years and every bit of it is hilarious, all through med school and residency. quite honestly, it's my favorite procrastination, and even though she's an alumnae of my school, i like to think that i mostly identify with her writing because it's interesting and true and funny instead of just envisioning myself as living her life.:D

i actually saw her on the med center campus a couple of months ago and it was such a celebrity moment for me...i never thought i was that kind of person until i had to hold back a squeak because i was so excited that it was REALLY HER!!! haha but for real (wow i feel like a promoter) take a look - i find it to be way more entertaining than facebook or perezhilton :laugh: and maybe you'll get some medical trivia out of it as well!

Hilarious. Now I can study for my finals and do so happily.. well, as happily as st udying can be.

All is not bright sunshine on your journey through the SDN wonderland, but then those of you who are smart enough to realize that will probably have good careers as doctors. A few folks you'll run into, though, will act as a guide for you. You'll model yourself after them, and you'll either succeed or fail-- just as they do. If you're lucky, you'll choose the successful ones. Others you'll meet but say little to. A few...well you just won't get along, but it isn't because either of you is innately evil....it'll just be a personality thing.

Maybe the worst person you'll ever run into is probably the supportive troll. Who is that again you might ask? He's the fellow who starts out really good and seems to have good intentions. He rarely crosses the line of being really bad....but he's an instigator. He loves to provoke the others then sit back and watch the mayhem. Oh, he really thrives on the attention you give him. Finally, though, he'll cross the line a time or two and get himself banned...except it isn't over then. He's like any monster from any horror movie you've ever seen. He will re-incarnate himself soon enough. If you make him mad, he'll do it ten times a day...then you won't see him for a while. He'll innocently sneak back into your life and, before you know it, he'll be sitting back laughing at you and reveling in your attention.

Who's next? There's the multiple personality troll. He's the guy who has two to three accounts at one time. He actually talks to himself to fan the fires when nobody else is around. If he's especially devious, he'll open accounts months in advance...just so he can say he's been around for awhile. Later, he'll begin his mission of evil and destruction. He might even play the “good coop, bad cop” routine amongst his own personalities.

What would life be like without the opinionated troll. He doesn't really cause a lot of mayhem, but his opinion is written in stone like SDN dogma. There is no quantity of “proof” which can convince this troll otherwise.

While were at it, we should probably look at the “show me a study” troll, whose main thrill in life is to demand a study that proves everything. Water doesn't run downhill; Abe Lincoln wasn't president; computers don't require electricity...none of it is true without a study to “prove” it.

OK. So, what's next. There's the newb troll. The newb troll just can't be bothered to look things up for himself. Yes, there was a thread there yesterday, but the newb troll claims ignorance in all matters because he hasn't been here very long. Note that some newb trolls now have thousands of posts. We aren't buying it anymore.

OK....that's five people already and we haven't come to the good ones yet. Is it time for them? Nope. Not yet. There is also the undefined troll. He appears when you least expect it, does his dirty work and is gone before you know it. You won't remember him next year....but he left a long-lasting influence on you. Some time in the future you may be at the psychiatrist's office having regression therapy done...and you'll remember.

Hmmmm....well that doesn't leave many people that are good does it? I mean we already have six SDN types and only one to go, right? Fortunately, this is the good news. There are many more of these type seven people than any other on SDN. In fact, probably 95% of SDN users are the final type. The final type doesn't even have a name. Why? Because we realize that there really is nothing special about us. We're just common folk, working our way through college or medical school on a limited budget, with a little free time to spare and a willingness to share our ideas, thoughts, and recollections with each other. We make up the bulk of the users on SDN-- the good ones. Yes, sometimes we may cross the line when we meet one of the trolls who frequent our lives, but we're good people at heart.

Why can't everyone be good? Why do there have to be those awful trolls? Well... that;s just a part of life. You spend all your energy trying to defeat them...but eventually they come back, like the undead. Is there any hope? Yes, there is always hope. The nasty ones feed off of your bitterness and anger. They wallow in your hate. They live only because you give them the power to survive. They cannot survive without being fed. Do not give them your anger, or your bitterness, or your hate. Do not give them the time of the day. Give them nothing! When you feed them...in a small way you become a part of them. Do not let them become a part of your life.

This has been a paid political advertisement by the People for a Better SDN Committee.

I'm at least 3 of these people.

I had you in mind for 4 of them actually-- don't forget, you are an occassional nice guy too :).

True. Depends on the day I had.

Not six! Seven! Who works out in six minutes? That's not enough to get your heart going! Not even a mouse on a wheel. Seven's the key number here. 7 doors. 7-11. 7 chipmunks twirling on a branch, eating lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea! Its like you're dreaming of gorganzola cheese when its clearly brie time, baby! Step into my office....

Not six! Seven! Who works out in six minutes? That's not enough to get your heart going! Not even a mouse on a wheel. Seven's the key number here. 7 doors. 7-11. 7 chipmunks twirling on a branch, eating lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea! Its like you're dreaming of gorganzola cheese when its clearly brie time, baby! Step into my office....
I want some of whatever you're taking. Its not that Adderall that the Thunderdome kids are peddling is it?

Gotta love Harlon's randomness!