The "Should I retake? What do my scores mean? Are my scores any good?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Well, it's that time of the year again when PCAT examinees rush to their mailboxes every day hoping to receive those elusive PCAT score reports.

To assist future PCAT test takers, it would be best if there was one thread where people can view or request other opinions on their own PCAT scores rather than having to search multiple threads with obscure titles. So, here goes (this is a work in progress:))! Please, please, please keep the score reports and "Yay! I got my scores!" to this thread.

Note: If you really know how the scoring works and just want an opinion on your scores, then just go to Section V in the second post in this thread.:)

Thread Outline
I. Your Score Report
II. Your Scores
III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.
IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question
V. The Final Verdict
VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

I. Your Score Report

You should receive a regular, letter-sized envelope with about a sheet or two of paper. One that them should be a plain sheet with your scores. Basically, this sheet lists each scaled score with the accompanying percentile score for each section followed by your composite score which is a percentile based on the averaged scale score from the five sections. You will see your writing score separate from the other sections. Rather self-explanatory to me......

II. Your Scores

You mostly want to focus on your percentile rank, most particularly the composite score. That is the number that adcoms focus on during the primary review that determines if you get an interview. Some schools may go in-depth into your scores, but that composite score is the first tell.

Just as a reminder, your percentile score distinguishes your performance from examinees from a 1998-2003 standard testing group. However, adcoms compare your score to everyone in their applicant pool. Simply put, a 70th percentile means that you performed better than about 70% of the examinees during the aforementioned 1998-2003 period. The higher the score, the better off you will be.

Addendum: There have been many questions on SDN inquiring about the nature of the three-digit scaled scores one finds on the score report and how that score is used to get one's percentile score. To be honest, nobody outside of relations with Harcourt understands the system or even the true number of questions needed to earn a 90th percentile or any other score. Perhaps this is best explained in a hypothetical situation. After each exam, Harcourt examines the pool of test takers and derives a scale that corresponds to a scaled score. One earns a certain scaled score based on the number of correct questions answered. This scale is different between examinations and between sections to account for the slight differences in difficulty across test dates and perhaps even test forms within the same testing date. Te scaled score one gets corresponds to the aforementioned 1998-2003 pool. Based on past research on this forum, it seems that a 400 in any section will result in a 50th percentile and a 430 is "worth" the same for every testing date for example. Therefore, one is being compared to that standard testing group but any changes in the exam now versus back then is accounted for through the derivation of a new scale that accounts for that. It's just that the number of correct questions needed to earn a certain scaled score fluctuates and is determined for each PCAT administration separately. So, nobody really knows how many questions need to be answered correctly in order to be in a certain percentile.

III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.

The most prevalent question that examinees have after receiving their scores is whether the scores are good enough for admission into pharmacy school. That leads to the corollary question to whether the examinee should retake the PCAT. Before we continue, it's best to establish some guidelines. The criteria I am about to present is not a strict rule. It is based on generalizations of PCAT worthiness at schools. This is just advice.

First of all, averages are just that = averages. Just because you don't make your school's PCAT average doesn't mean your application is doomed. People get in with low PCAT scores due to a number of reasons, like:
  • Having a high GPA with great pharmacy experience and LORs
  • Having a great interview
  • ..and...having great "contacts" in the adcom, like a dad or someone
If one looked at the PCAT score distribution at each school, it would probably resemble something like a grade distribution we often see after taking an exam. That is, a few students get As, many get around Bs to Ds with the peak at Cs or the average and/or median score, and a few fantastically bomb the exam. So for competitive PCAT scores, you do have to meet the average score for competitiveness, you want to literally be in the middle of the pack. Sure, you want your scores to stand out, but the answer to the question "Are my PCAT scores good enough" simply asks whether your scores are a liability on your application making a retake of the PCAT prudent and advisable.

So, I think a better gauge for "competitiveness" is through the competitive range. Simply put, this range represents the majority of the school's incoming class. Ideally, you want a score that is at least in the range occupied by the middle 50% of students that takes out the top 25% PCAT students that get in and the bottom 25% who get in due to the other factors I mentioned earlier. Since each school has different distributions, I roughly set a range of five percentiles plus or minus the school's PCAT average. So for a school with an average of 80, the competitive range is about 75-85. Your score is competitive in that range, but it doesn't stand out from other applications nor is it a blemish on your application. Remember, I am speaking in general.

IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question

You need to consider your whole package as it affects the answer to this question:
  • Your stats (GPA, pharmacy hours worked) and LORs
  • Your interpersonal ability needed for an effective interview
  • Your writing skills (PCAT writing score, school-specific essays, PS)
  • Your "contacts"
If you have greatness in the above, than having a lower than competitive PCAT won't hurt as much versus the average applicant. If you lack some of the above, then you probably need a higher PCAT to compensate. For the purposes of this thread, we'll just consider how the scores look without any influence from other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My January 2011 scores are as follows
VA 416/73
Bio 418/76
RC 416/71
QA 424/79
Chem 449/95
Comp 425/86
Writing: 3.5/3.5

I got an interview to University of Toronto Pharmacy last year with lesser scores (and got on the waiting list), so I was hoping this would improve my chances. I'm currently a junior at U of T, and prefer staying in town for convenience purposes. Toronto is the only school I applied for this year, and if I don't get in this year, I might get discouraged and apply to out of town, or American schools. Or should I re-take the test and try again? Any suggestions?

Hi guys:
I just got my Jan test score back. I am wondering if I should retake, since I sucked both VA and RC

Verbal Ability 406 58%
Biology 430 88%
Reading Comprehension 397 40%
Quantitative Ability 435 89%
Chemistry 505 99%
Composite 435 94%

So, I did quite well in Chem, but my VA and RC sucked so bad. I don't know if I should retake with a 94 composite though. I am an International Student, and English is not my native language. Depend on my green card application, I may need to take TOEFL (Test of English for Foreign Language speakers).

Thaks

I think you should be fine. Your composite is higher than mine (I scored in the high 80th percentile) and your math, chem, and bio sections are great so I don't think they'll look TOO closely at your VA and RC. My math and chem scores were not anywhere near as close as yours (they kinda sucked) and I still got interviews to most of my schools. If you have a great gpa, solid letters of rec, volunteer and/or work experience, those will definitely help. It also depends on where you apply...look at the school's typically accepted stats. Some schools weigh components differently but if you're worried only about your pcat, you're in good shape. Hope that helps and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I am currently new to this forum but it would be extremely helpful if i get any advice or thoughts on my chance of getting to pharmacy school. Here is my case:

I just got my pcat score report today, and you know how nerve wrecking it feels to check your score. I paid 20 dollars to request the personal score report online because i can't stand my anxiety waiting for it to be mailed. Anyway, I got the composite percentile of 54 (this is my first time ever taking the pcat---english is not my first language, and the RC and VA pulled my score down). I know this is not a good score and I don't even know how i feel about it. My academic GPA is in the range of 3.95. I volunteer a lot in pharmacy-related areas, officer of pre-pharmacy club; and I have numerous awards in Chemistry. I am planning on applying to my college school of pharmacy that I am currently attending for undergrad. What do you think my chance of getting in? I'm really worrying and anxious inside, but I just try to be like I m fine. I don't know what i should be feeling. is it good/bad? should i retake the PCAT again? the problem is i m applying for this coming Fall 2o11 term and it would be late for me to retake the pcat on Jan. Should I just send in my pharmcas application and pcat to my school and wait for them to decide?
Thanks alot for your time reading my story.

I was in the same boat with you few months ago. I scored a composite of 53 with VA and RC lower than 20....plus no degree, no pharmacy experience, but i got accepted to the third best pharmacy school in the nation (U of Minnesota)..I got interview to both schools i applied and got accepted to both..so Hold up your head and trust your own self.. Go ahead and send your application ASAP.. Prepare for interview..
Goodluck

Hi everyone,

I signed up for Kaplan's PCAT course and am planning on taking the PCAT for the first time this July.

I took the Diagnostic exam and got these scores:

VA: 379
RC:363
BIO: 340
QA: 378
CHEM:373

I've been studying for a few weeks and it's been going kind of slow. I have a little over a month left to study. Should I be worried about these scores? Or are these typical of a diagnostic.

I'm hoping to get 80th percentile so that I can get into the 1 school I'm applying to which is Wayne State.

If someone can give me feedback, I'll really appreciate it. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I signed up for Kaplan's PCAT course and am planning on taking the PCAT for the first time this July.

I took the Diagnostic exam and got these scores:

VA: 379
RC:363
BIO: 340
QA: 378
CHEM:373

I've been studying for a few weeks and it's been going kind of slow. I have a little over a month left to study. Should I be worried about these scores? Or are these typical of a diagnostic.

I'm hoping to get 80th percentile so that I can get into the 1 school I'm applying to which is Wayne State.

If someone can give me feedback, I'll really appreciate it. Thank you!
Comparing your score to the scaled scores of people in this thread might make it seem liek you're going to bomb the exam. Not true though. Most people would agree that the Kaplan tests are much harder than the actual PCAT exam.

Thanks for the feed back!

Yeah I've honestly been thinking the same thing about Kaplan. That is why I'm going to start focusing more on Dr. Collin's material, they seem to be more in line with the actual PCAT. Kaplan goes way too in-depth with some of their material.

Ok, seriously anyone that says you absolutely have to get in the ranges of 85-99 percentile to be accepted is completely wrong. You need to AIM for a high PCAT. But if you don't get an 85 or higher it's not the end of the world. Schools look at how well rounded you are not just PCAT or academics.

I got a 43 the first time and a 47 the second and was accepted to UIC College of Pharmacy for fall 2011. However, I was an accounting major as an undergrad and worked at a pharmacy clinic.

My advice to anyone who really wants to get in is this: MAKE YOURSELF STAND OUT. Do things in undergrad that will impress the adcomm. about 75 percent of all applicants are science majors with degrees in bio or chem and a pcat of 85 or above...that's boring. Do something else; study abroad, have a different major, work in an area you are interested in other than pharmacy.

By the way, you do not have to graduate with a science degree to get in. Its frustrating to hear people always saying "it looks better to be a bio major." just do what you like.

Pharm313, stick to dr. Collins, PCAT destroyer and cliff notes. Kaplan is a piece of crap lol

Hope this helps! :)
If anyone has any questions PM me.

January 2011 PCAT scores:
VA: 423/82%
Bio: 435/91%
RC: 412/65%
QA: 424/79%
Chem: 415/68%
Comp: 422/83%

I just feel like my PCAT scores are pretty mediocre, especially with that glaring chem score. It's actually embarrassing because I'm a chem major, but I feel like I didn't study organic enough before I took the exam because it had been a year since I had taken that class.

My GPA is a 3.78 and my pre-req GPA is a 3.89. I'm getting my BA in chemistry with a minor in Spanish, and I will be pretty well spoken in Spanish by the time I graduate in May 2012.

I've worked at a pharmacy as a pharmacy tech for two years now, and the pharmacist that I work for is an alum of my dream school. I know I can get a good recommendation from him as well as one of my chem profs and one of my Spanish profs. I also participate in a number of extracurricular activities. I was an orientation leader for my university, and I started my own philanthropic event that raises over $1,000 for Breast Cancer Research.

The only thing I've hesitant about besides my PCAT score is my interviewing skills. I'm a very social person and easy to talk to, but the thought of interviewing for pharmacy school makes me extremely nervous. I'm hoping that nervousness doesn't interfere with my ability to give good answers because I really am passionate about getting in.

So with that little about me, does anyone think that I should take the PCAT again, or should I just settle with what I've got?

January 2011 PCAT scores:
VA: 423/82%
Bio: 435/91%
RC: 412/65%
QA: 424/79%
Chem: 415/68%
Comp: 422/83%

I just feel like my PCAT scores are pretty mediocre, especially with that glaring chem score. It's actually embarrassing because I'm a chem major, but I feel like I didn't study organic enough before I took the exam because it had been a year since I had taken that class.

My GPA is a 3.78 and my pre-req GPA is a 3.89. I'm getting my BA in chemistry with a minor in Spanish, and I will be pretty well spoken in Spanish by the time I graduate in May 2012.

I've worked at a pharmacy as a pharmacy tech for two years now, and the pharmacist that I work for is an alum of my dream school. I know I can get a good recommendation from him as well as one of my chem profs and one of my Spanish profs. I also participate in a number of extracurricular activities. I was an orientation leader for my university, and I started my own philanthropic event that raises over $1,000 for Breast Cancer Research.

The only thing I've hesitant about besides my PCAT score is my interviewing skills. I'm a very social person and easy to talk to, but the thought of interviewing for pharmacy school makes me extremely nervous. I'm hoping that nervousness doesn't interfere with my ability to give good answers because I really am passionate about getting in.

So with that little about me, does anyone think that I should take the PCAT again, or should I just settle with what I've got?

I think you're fine. I'd actually be more concerned about the RC score than your chemistry score, unless English isn't your first language (in which case, a 65th percentile is pretty darn good, for a second or third language).

Your grades are solid and it sounds like your experience is, as well. Practice interviewing; most colleges have career centers for mock interviews. Honestly, it's a skill you must practice, especially if you're nervous. Practice, practice, practice...you will thank me later!

Should I retake the exam?
this is my first post and I just got back from today's exam, my scores are the following:
Verbal ability 53 =/
Bio 88
Reading Comp 76
Quant 86
Chem 96 =)
Composite 89

I'm thinking of applying to UF, NOVA, and other FL schools but I don't know how my scores compare.
Thanks.

Should I retake the exam?
this is my first post and I just got back from today's exam, my scores are the following:
Verbal ability 53 =/
Bio 88
Reading Comp 76
Quant 86
Chem 96 =)
Composite 89

I'm thinking of applying to UF, NOVA, and other FL schools but I don't know how my scores compare.
Thanks.

Do not retake.

my score were:

VA:58
Bio:66
RC:52
QA:62
Chem:72
Comp:64

just wondering if i should retake applying to wingate and campbell and have a 3.4gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
wondering whether to retake it or not..

VA:73
Bio-80
RC-94
QA-54--yikes ran out of time..work as a math tutor so this score is quite sad
chem 90
comp 86

have overall gpa 3.91

VA: 68%
Bio: 94%
RC: 52%
QA: 47%
Chem: 72%
Comp: 73%

Do you guys think these scores could give me a competing chance at UT or should I consider retaking? I'm extremely disappointed in myself :(
I know if I was to have a second chance I would perform much better but is it worth spending another $200 for a retake?

Here are my scores

VA-58
BIO-84
RC -35 Uggh :(
QA-90
Chem -99 :)
Composite - 88.

Do you guys think i should retake it?

progress.gif

I wouldn't. I don't think colleges put much stock in VA and RC. Your impressive chem and QA score should be able to carry you to interview.

Hey Folks, great thread - It's really nice to have a place to find information like this - the whole application process is just so nervewracking!!

So I have a question regarding my PCAT scores in conjunction with my GPA:

My PCAT preliminary scores were:

VA - 95%
Bio - 51%!!
Chem - 72%
Math - 71%
Reading - 89%

My current GPA is 3.8 overall, 4.0 Sciences. I have 3 more elective courses to take prior to matriculating (should I be accepted) into the 2012 class. I have two choices:

1 - Use transfer credits from a prior college, however this brings my overall GPA down to a 3.5
2 - Take the courses and maintain a high GPA

So my questions are, should I plan to retake based on the low Bio (assuming the actual scores end up being similar) and should I take the lower GPA or retake the courses? (Does that .3 difference in my overall GPA really matter? My 4.0 sciences would be unchanged)

Bear in mind that I work full time supporting my family while going to school at night - meaning I have no pharmacy or extracarricular experience to bring to the table. I am, however, a Veteran, which I think would be a leg up.

Any advice from experience would be awesome!

Hey Folks, great thread - It's really nice to have a place to find information like this - the whole application process is just so nervewracking!!

So I have a question regarding my PCAT scores in conjunction with my GPA:

My PCAT preliminary scores were:

VA - 95%
Bio - 51%!!
Chem - 72%
Math - 71%
Reading - 89%

My current GPA is 3.8 overall, 4.0 Sciences. I have 3 more elective courses to take prior to matriculating (should I be accepted) into the 2012 class. I have two choices:

1 - Use transfer credits from a prior college, however this brings my overall GPA down to a 3.5
2 - Take the courses and maintain a high GPA

So my questions are, should I plan to retake based on the low Bio (assuming the actual scores end up being similar) and should I take the lower GPA or retake the courses? (Does that .3 difference in my overall GPA really matter? My 4.0 sciences would be unchanged)

Bear in mind that I work full time supporting my family while going to school at night - meaning I have no pharmacy or extracarricular experience to bring to the table. I am, however, a Veteran, which I think would be a leg up.

Any advice from experience would be awesome!

It wouldnt matter if you retook the courses. You HAVE to report ALL undergrad courses on your PharmCAS. Regardless if you received transfer credits for them. So your GPA is a 3.5. Retaking the courses may raise the GPA but your GPA will not be a 3.8.

It sucks but im in the same situation.. i have a 3.8 at my university but when I was in high school I took a class at community college. I have to report the grade on pharmcas and it lowers my GPA to a 3.7.

Took 20 July 2011 exam. First time. Prepped w/ Kaplan.

VA 478 (99)
Bio 484 (99)
RC 442 (94)
QA 426 (81)
Chem 418 (72)

COMPOSITE: 450 (99)

Other facts:
-Older applicant (40+).
-Honors English major at Ivy-League college.
-GPA: 3.2 (overall undergrad), 2.9 (sci undergrad).
-BC calc AP (4 or 5, can't recall) after HS jr yr - no math since.
-C's both semesters Orgo - worst sci grades (rest A's & B's) except for D in bio elective.
-Left med school (UMDNJ) b/c of severe burnout.
-Rutgers MBA 2005 w/ pending (1 course left) post-MBA certificate in Pharm Mgt. - interned one summer @ Novartis.
-Applying to pharm sch to max career options & job security.
-Applying to NJ schools (Rutgers & Medco/Fairleigh-Dickinson).

Questions:
(1) Will weak(er) Chem & QA scores pose a problem?
(2) Is being an older applicant or a non-sci maj a handicap?
(3) Are 2 schools too few? (Started to look at NY & Philly.)

VA 478 (99)
Bio 484 (99)
RC 442 (94)
QA 426 (81)
Chem 418 (72)

Other facts:
-Older applicant (40+).
-C's both semesters Orgo - worst sci grades (rest A's & B's) except for D in bio elective.
-Rutgers MBA 2005 w/ pending (1 course left) post-MBA certificate in Pharm Mgt. - interned one summer @ Novartis.

Questions:
your composite is a lil low but its up to you if you want to retake

Took my second PCAT on July 20th.

My preliminary scores are:

VA: 68
Bio: 99
Reading Comprehension: 58
QA: 59
Chem: 93

Composite: 89

I am very concerned since there is a large gap between my science scores and QA/Reading/VA scores. Should I go ahead and retake in September?

My cGPA is 3.67 and sGPA is 3.55.

Help please!

Took my second PCAT on July 20th.

My preliminary scores are:

Bio: 99
Reading Comprehension: 58
QA: 59
Chem: 93

Composite: 89

I am very concerned since there is a large gap between my science scores and QA/Reading/VA scores. Should I go ahead and retake in September?

My cGPA is 3.67 and sGPA is 3.55.

Help please!

Absolutely! Because being 1 point short of a 90 will prevent you from getting the nod into pharmacy school...SMH.

VA 478 (99)
Bio 484 (99)
RC 442 (94)
QA 426 (81)
Chem 418 (72)

Other facts:
-Older applicant (40+).

Questions:

Comp 99? I would surely retake lol I would throw a party if I get those scores in September

Just took it today.
I just want to know whether my verbal would affect anything...
Do most schools look at all of these or just at Bio, Chem and Comp?

VA 48% - fail
Bio 98%
RC 78%
Chem 95%
QA 94%

Composite 93%

English is my second language though. I went to college in the US but before that I lived in another country where the first lang is not English.
GPA overall 3.85, GPA science 3.97
Chem major.

Just took it.

VA: 86
Bio: 98
RC: 60 :confused: [Surprised I did that bad]
QA: 45 :( [Was expected]
Chem: 85

Composite: 86

Math has always and will always be my Achilles heel; I am math illiterate to be honest. I do not feel like retaking it, is my score competitive enough?

I just took my first PCAT 2 hours ago and here are my scores
VA: 86
BIO: 99
RC: 24...........wtf?
QA: 85
CHEM: 99
Comp.: 96

I tanked my reading comprehension because I choked hard on that section. All my other scores and composite are great, but the RA score is really bothering me because I know I can do better. What are your thoughts on this? Should I retake?

I used Kaplan to prepare and just took the PCAT today.
My prelim scores are:
Verbal: 403 | 53
Bio: 418 | 76
Reading: 401 | 47
QA: 413 | 64
Chem: 411 | 62
* Composite: 409 | 62

I rushed a lot on the Chem and Math sections. But what shocked me the most was the Reading Comprehension score--honestly I didn't find the passages or questions difficult; I felt pretty confident while taking it, but the result... how could it be? :( Now I start to wonder what the trick of this session is...

I want to go to Buffalo or St. John Fisher.
My question is, should I retake in late September???

Last edited by a moderator:
Should you choose to decide to retake it, what are you going to do differently to prepare in the next 2 months?

So I just took the july 27th PCAT and this is my preliminary score:
Reading: 15
verbal: 35
bio: 71
Quant: 77
Chem: 88
comp: 60
I prepared for this test for two months using Dr. C and Kaplan online course, and I still did bad. English is not native language, this is why my verbal and reading is so low. I'm scared of PCAT now and don't want to retake it again.
Next fall I will be a Junior with with a GPA around 3.3, I'm done alot of activities at school including being a president of pre-pharmacy club, circle-K, chinese club, volunteer Luau, Ambassador for Freshman, and volunteer whenever there are things at my school. I also have volunteer at a local drug store for a little bit, and volunteer at a hospital for almost two years now.
The PCAT score makes me so depressed that I'm really thinking of give up everything I have worked so hard on. I don't know what I should do next and I need help??:(

Well, some good news. Your chem score rocked. And I know some colleges, that's all they care about. You still might be fine!

I prepared for this test for two months using Dr. C and Kaplan online course, and I still did bad. English is not native language, this is why my verbal and reading is so low. I'm scared of PCAT now and don't want to retake it again.
Next fall I will be a Junior with with a GPA around 3.3, I'm done alot of activities at school including being a president of pre-pharmacy club, circle-K, chinese club, volunteer Luau, Ambassador for Freshman, and volunteer whenever there are things at my school. I also have volunteer at a local drug store for a little bit, and volunteer at a hospital for almost two years now.
The PCAT score makes me so depressed that I'm really thinking of give up everything I have worked so hard on. I don't know what I should do next and I need help??:(

I used Kaplan to prepare and just took the PCAT today.
My prelim scores are:
Verbal: 403 | 53
Bio: 418 | 76
Reading: 401 | 47
QA: 413 | 64
Chem: 411 | 62
* Composite: 409 | 62

I rushed a lot on the Chem and Math sections. But what shocked me the most was the Reading Comprehension score--honestly I didn't find the passages or questions difficult; I felt pretty confident while taking it, but the result... how could it be? :( Now I start to wonder what the trick of this session is...

My question is, should I retake in late September???

Moved to the appropriate thread in the appropriate forum.

To the OP:
Yes you should retake it. But make sure you buy the Dr Collins study guide. I got a 98 composite (today) and it REALLY helped. Also buy the Pearson practice exams if you haven't already. I don't think there's a concrete way to study for the RC. From what I hear, and from my own experience, either you have it or you don't. I think if you are a good reader and read a lot then you shouldn't have problems with it. And I don't know if this is the case with you, but it seems like a lot of people on here who don't do well in verbal in reading aren't native speakers of English. Even though I'm Nigerian, I am. Gotta thank my parents lol

Should I retake because of RC

VA 427/86
Bio 430/88
RC 386/24 ....don't know where that came from
QA 428/83
Chem 439/91
Composite 422/83

I feel all my other scores are really good and I don't know how I did so bad on the reading comprehension. What do you think I should do?

Applying to Midwestern, Arizona, Univ. Washington, UCSD, Univ. Utah, Univ. South. Nevada, and Univ. Colorado ....anyone know any of their requirements?

Bio: 91
RC: 35 =(
QA: 69
Chem: 98

Comp: 85

My GPA: ~3.6

I'm applying to Uni. of Pitt, Uni of Maryland, Temple, Thomas Jefferson

Should I retake it?

Thanks in advance

Posted these in another thread, thought I'd repost em' here as well for some extra insight.

Verbal - 92

Biology - 94

Chemistry - 91

Quantitative Ability - 64

Reading Comprehension - 20

Composite - 83

Obviously my reading score is quite abysmal, but im hoping my high verbal and essay scores along with high science scores will offset that...thoughts?

My application is otherwise pretty good. I am currently volunteering in a hospital and my overall GPA is around 3.4, slightly lower for math/science.

I'll probably apply for the next cycle (after this next year of undergrad) and if I don't get in I'll try and improve my scores. Does this sound like a good plan?

Last edited:
VA- 73
Bio- 51
RC- 71
QA- 67
Chem-43!?! (best subject lol)
Composite- 64

Definitely retaking in September, more looking for tips on how people scored so high on bio and chem. I glanced through my Kaplan book and used 1 Pearson practice exam. Obviously compared to the people on here who got 90+ I didn't study enough but I wasn't expecting a score in the 60's by any means. I scored 75-95 percentile on the practice with 80-99 range on Chem and QA. Then I turn around and BOMB the chem section?! Kind of confused, but anyways. I have a 3.7 GPA through 90ish credit hours and a 3.4 science GPA. 2 years experience in a retail pharmacy and great LOR's. I know my PCAT is really on the low side but the schools I'm applying to don't have the greatest scores.

Applying to- Nova SE, Belmont, Midwestern-Glendale, Midwestern-Chicago, PCOM- Atlanta, MCPHS-Worcester, and Creighton in that order.

Thanks for any advice!

Hey everyone!

If you want a complete critique of your chances to get into pharm school, please post in the WAMC thread! It will definitely help the mods out by not having to move posts to their appropriate thread. We are all willing to give helpful and honest advice if you post there!

-Armorking

For those of you that scored in the upper 70 to 90 composite, you can rest easy and free yourself from the panic. Bombing one or even two subsections will not kill your chances, many pharmacy students before you still get in with scores similar to yours or even slightly worse. Relax, take a booze cruise!

do you know which colleges will accept my score???

Well, I've been looking hard at University of Arizona. I am a member of the pre-pharm club, and Theodore Tong, PharmD, the Dean of the college, is ALWAYS talking about how the PCAT is important, but they look at more than just that. He has mentioned a few times and has been echoed by others that the chem part is the portion the board focuses on most.

That is a really high chem score. If English is not your primary language, I could definitely see the board taking lower scores in verbal into consideration at Arizona. Can't promise anything, obviously- but it does run in line with what I've been told.

I wouldn't give up hope just yet. My comp is 69. Bio 84 Chem 85 Quant 71 but RC and Verbal brought down my score. I called the schools that I am applying to and asked about my score and most of them all said it is a competitive score with a decent GPA (>3.5). Another thing they all mentioned was how they look at individual scores. They said i'll be fine as long as my science scores are high they'll consider me.
So my advise to you is to call each schools and make sure you know what they're looking for since all schools treat pcat scores differently.

Hey all, I hope everything went well for everyone today. I am somewhat depressed over my score. Not what I was expecting.

VA - 73
BIO- 80
RC- 71
QA- 81
CHEM- 68 ( wtf :( ) Obviously it's low, but i 4.0'd all my chem classes.

COMP - 79

GPA - 3.75
-One year of pharmacy tech experience
-Student government executive board.
- LOR's from the CEO Sav-Mor Pharmacy in Michigan and My Supervising Pharmacist.

Applying to Wayne State, South Carolina, and North Carolina.

SOMEONE PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK.
Don't retake. I'd say retake if you bombed a few, but since the subtests are so close together, I feel a retake will do little help. Only thing I'd say to strengthen your application is to have an LOR from a professor you have taken, even if schools only require two LOR's, have one from a professor, one from the CEO.

Bio: 91
RC: 35 =(
QA: 69
Chem: 98

Comp: 85

My GPA: ~3.6

I'm applying to Uni. of Pitt, Uni of Maryland, Temple, Thomas Jefferson

Should I retake it?

Thanks in advance
DO NOT RETAKE. 85 is pretty competitive. RC will be low for almost everyone applying this cycle I guarantee you. If they adjust the RC section (which I think they might) your composite will go up anyway. If you do your research of these schools, the mean is below that I'm sure. GPA is pretty solid too. You should do fine given you do well in your interviews.

Should I retake because of RC

VA 427/86
Bio 430/88
RC 386/24 ....don't know where that came from
QA 428/83
Chem 439/91
Composite 422/83

I feel all my other scores are really good and I don't know how I did so bad on the reading comprehension. What do you think I should do?

Applying to Midwestern, Arizona, Univ. Washington, UCSD, Univ. Utah, Univ. South. Nevada, and Univ. Colorado ....anyone know any of their requirements?
Once again another case of the low RC jitters. RC was obviously a little flawed. It doesn't matter if someone scored a 99 on it, it was still incredibly difficult, even for the avid reader. 83 is competitive, especially for some of the schools you listed but I'm not here to post minimum PCAT requirements per school you listed, just google them! 91 chem, 88 bio, 83 QA? Great scores for those subtests, you should be PROUD and not worried.

Hey everyone!

If you want a complete critique of your chances to get into pharm school, please post in the WAMC thread! It will definitely help the mods out by not having to move posts to their appropriate thread. We are all willing to give helpful and honest advice if you post there!

-Armorking

It was you! I wondered why we had an explosion of posts. :smuggrin:

Good Luck everyone! :luck:

Comparing your score to the scaled scores of people in this thread might make it seem liek you're going to bomb the exam. Not true though. Most people would agree that the Kaplan tests are much harder than the actual PCAT exam.

Actually, I would have to disagree. I took the Kaplan tests and aced all the sections. I thought I was golden. I even studied every lecture note on every subject tested too. I ended up doing so poorly on it. Bummed! Most of the stuff I reviewed on the Kaplan was not even tested. I felt like I wasted my time. I spent 3 months studying too.

I took my PCAT on July 27th as well and I did good in some areas and not so good in some areas. Here's my percentiles:

VA: 50%
BIO: 99%
CHEM: 95%
RC: 19% <---:scared:
QA: 93%

Should I retake? Aside from PCAT, I have great leadership skills at my univeristy (historian, vice president, and now currently president of pre-pharmacy association), 200+ volunteer hours in a hospital pharmacy, and by the time I apply I will have +1.5 years of pharmacy technician job experience. And my overall GPA is currently 3.78. I'll be graduating with a degree in Biology. While I was in high school I was active in HOSA (as secretary) and was in the clinical rotation program (shadowed a lot of MDs).

I will be applying to all Texas and Oklahoma pharmacy schools.

What should I do? I'm so confused. Someone please evaluate me!!