The "Should I retake? What do my scores mean? Are my scores any good?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Well, it's that time of the year again when PCAT examinees rush to their mailboxes every day hoping to receive those elusive PCAT score reports.

To assist future PCAT test takers, it would be best if there was one thread where people can view or request other opinions on their own PCAT scores rather than having to search multiple threads with obscure titles. So, here goes (this is a work in progress:))! Please, please, please keep the score reports and "Yay! I got my scores!" to this thread.

Note: If you really know how the scoring works and just want an opinion on your scores, then just go to Section V in the second post in this thread.:)

Thread Outline
I. Your Score Report
II. Your Scores
III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.
IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question
V. The Final Verdict
VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

I. Your Score Report

You should receive a regular, letter-sized envelope with about a sheet or two of paper. One that them should be a plain sheet with your scores. Basically, this sheet lists each scaled score with the accompanying percentile score for each section followed by your composite score which is a percentile based on the averaged scale score from the five sections. You will see your writing score separate from the other sections. Rather self-explanatory to me......

II. Your Scores

You mostly want to focus on your percentile rank, most particularly the composite score. That is the number that adcoms focus on during the primary review that determines if you get an interview. Some schools may go in-depth into your scores, but that composite score is the first tell.

Just as a reminder, your percentile score distinguishes your performance from examinees from a 1998-2003 standard testing group. However, adcoms compare your score to everyone in their applicant pool. Simply put, a 70th percentile means that you performed better than about 70% of the examinees during the aforementioned 1998-2003 period. The higher the score, the better off you will be.

Addendum: There have been many questions on SDN inquiring about the nature of the three-digit scaled scores one finds on the score report and how that score is used to get one's percentile score. To be honest, nobody outside of relations with Harcourt understands the system or even the true number of questions needed to earn a 90th percentile or any other score. Perhaps this is best explained in a hypothetical situation. After each exam, Harcourt examines the pool of test takers and derives a scale that corresponds to a scaled score. One earns a certain scaled score based on the number of correct questions answered. This scale is different between examinations and between sections to account for the slight differences in difficulty across test dates and perhaps even test forms within the same testing date. Te scaled score one gets corresponds to the aforementioned 1998-2003 pool. Based on past research on this forum, it seems that a 400 in any section will result in a 50th percentile and a 430 is "worth" the same for every testing date for example. Therefore, one is being compared to that standard testing group but any changes in the exam now versus back then is accounted for through the derivation of a new scale that accounts for that. It's just that the number of correct questions needed to earn a certain scaled score fluctuates and is determined for each PCAT administration separately. So, nobody really knows how many questions need to be answered correctly in order to be in a certain percentile.

III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.

The most prevalent question that examinees have after receiving their scores is whether the scores are good enough for admission into pharmacy school. That leads to the corollary question to whether the examinee should retake the PCAT. Before we continue, it's best to establish some guidelines. The criteria I am about to present is not a strict rule. It is based on generalizations of PCAT worthiness at schools. This is just advice.

First of all, averages are just that = averages. Just because you don't make your school's PCAT average doesn't mean your application is doomed. People get in with low PCAT scores due to a number of reasons, like:
  • Having a high GPA with great pharmacy experience and LORs
  • Having a great interview
  • ..and...having great "contacts" in the adcom, like a dad or someone
If one looked at the PCAT score distribution at each school, it would probably resemble something like a grade distribution we often see after taking an exam. That is, a few students get As, many get around Bs to Ds with the peak at Cs or the average and/or median score, and a few fantastically bomb the exam. So for competitive PCAT scores, you do have to meet the average score for competitiveness, you want to literally be in the middle of the pack. Sure, you want your scores to stand out, but the answer to the question "Are my PCAT scores good enough" simply asks whether your scores are a liability on your application making a retake of the PCAT prudent and advisable.

So, I think a better gauge for "competitiveness" is through the competitive range. Simply put, this range represents the majority of the school's incoming class. Ideally, you want a score that is at least in the range occupied by the middle 50% of students that takes out the top 25% PCAT students that get in and the bottom 25% who get in due to the other factors I mentioned earlier. Since each school has different distributions, I roughly set a range of five percentiles plus or minus the school's PCAT average. So for a school with an average of 80, the competitive range is about 75-85. Your score is competitive in that range, but it doesn't stand out from other applications nor is it a blemish on your application. Remember, I am speaking in general.

IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question

You need to consider your whole package as it affects the answer to this question:
  • Your stats (GPA, pharmacy hours worked) and LORs
  • Your interpersonal ability needed for an effective interview
  • Your writing skills (PCAT writing score, school-specific essays, PS)
  • Your "contacts"
If you have greatness in the above, than having a lower than competitive PCAT won't hurt as much versus the average applicant. If you lack some of the above, then you probably need a higher PCAT to compensate. For the purposes of this thread, we'll just consider how the scores look without any influence from other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Composite 423/89
Chemistry 418/76
Quantitative Ability 413/72
Reading Comprehension 450/99
Biology 421/79
Verbal Ability 413/70
Writing 4.0

gpa: 3.17

should i retake? honestly I feel like if i studied more, i could have done better...especially on bio and chem. However, theres no way i'll get a 99 on reading comp again, that was a total fluke...I wanna have an very competitive PCAT score to make up for my bad gpa =/

You have a good shot at any accredited school... Look into top 10 schools with pcat. You'll do fine. Do you have solid pharmacy experience and extracurriculars?

Composite 423/89
Chemistry 418/76
Quantitative Ability 413/72
Reading Comprehension 450/99
Biology 421/79
Verbal Ability 413/70
Writing 4.0

gpa: 3.17

should i retake? honestly I feel like if i studied more, i could have done better...especially on bio and chem. However, theres no way i'll get a 99 on reading comp again, that was a total fluke...I wanna have an very competitive PCAT score to make up for my bad gpa =/

Your scores are sufficient. You should be invited to quite a few interviews. My GPA was around the same and I was invited to an interview to all schools I applied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input =) As for extracurriculars, I'm in a volunteer co-ed fraternity, prepharmacy club, did about a year of research, and 6 months of retail pharmacy volunteering. I also recently got into a student-run clinic aimed towards the underserved so I should be doing that for at least half a year.

Hi guys, what do you think about my chance
65 composite
Bachelor in Life Science
6 months research in marine species
1 year volunteer in hospital pharmacy setting
Lots of volunteer work
Pharm club member
Recently got a job as pharm tech
With my low PCAT , do you guys think I get a chance here?
Thank you in advance!!!

Sorry for dumb question, but I'm very new to the test( first time ever).
How long we can know our score after the test? Thanks!

Sorry for dumb question, but I'm very new to the test( first time ever).
How long we can know our score after the test? Thanks!
you will get your unofficial score right after you finish the test and that is usually what will be on the official score unless there was something weird with the questions. The writing part obviously won't be graded right away. I don't remember exactly how long it take to get your official score however...

you will get your unofficial score right after you finish the test and that is usually what will be on the official score unless there was something weird with the questions. The writing part obviously won't be graded right away. I don't remember exactly how long it take to get your official score however...

Thank you for the information!

Took PCAT today my 2nd time:

VA: 423/82
Bio: 435/92
RC: 403/56
QA: 434/93
Chem:438/93
Composite:427/92

The only one that decreased from my 1st pcat was RC but whatever!!!

I'd like to say just to work hard - I suck at chemistry and got C's in school but I increased my chem from 56 the first time to 93. With hard work and the right strategies it CAN WORK and you will be SO proud of yourself! :)

Good luck to everyone!!

Verbal 437/94
Biology 425/84
RC 431/94
QC 413/72
CHY 415/72
Composite 424/ 90

So I was SHOCKED by these scores today! I took a practice test and got a 65! I studied after that but total hours studied is only about 10 hours. The only thing I am concerned is that verbal and RC cushioned my score. I dont really want to retake because I could do worse, but I was just looking for interpretation/what you think I should do :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal 437/94
Biology 425/84
RC 431/94
QC 413/72
CHY 415/72
Composite 424/ 90

So I was SHOCKED by these scores today! I took a practice test and got a 65! I studied after that but total hours studied is only about 10 hours. The only thing I am concerned is that verbal and RC cushioned my score. I dont really want to retake because I could do worse, but I was just looking for interpretation/what you think I should do :luck:

Your really posting in this thread? No do not retake it. Good luck.

Took my PCAT for the first time...here's my preliminary score
VA 412/68
BIO 425/84
RC 398/47 :eek:
QA 423/85
Chem 422/81
Composite 416/79

Should I retake it?? I'm still going to try for early decision at VCU and hope for the best but it's looking pretty grim...

VA 412/68
BIO 425/84
QA 423/85
Chem 422/81
Composite 416/79

Should I retake it?? I'm still going to try for early decision at VCU and hope for the best but it's looking pretty grim...

No.

Verbal 30 :(
Biology 74
Reading 21 :(
Quant 85
Chem 95
Com 70

I really didn't do so hot as I wanted, which is just borderline for being competitive. I want to apply for the schools in Michigan and my college GPA is 3.58, but my major is microbiology. I was really let down to see how horrible I did in verbal and reading and was aware of the tips. It's just that reading for me I cant just skim and be able to get a lot of information.

My stats:
Va:432/91
Bio:425/84
RC:413/75
QA: 402/75
CH: 412/68
Composite: 417/81
B.S Chemistry 3.32 Gpa
I'm applying to Auburn and Samford
Anybody have insight into what my chances are?

My stats:
Va:432/91
Bio:425/84
RC:413/75
QA: 402/75
CH: 412/68
Composite: 417/81
B.S Chemistry 3.32 Gpa
I'm applying to Auburn and Samford
Anybody have insight into what my chances are?

If you are an in state applicant your chances are good.

I just want to know if my poor verbal/reading comprehension score will stop me from getting an interview at UIC. Thanks

I took pcat thursday. my scores where:
Verbal 18
R.C. 26
Q.A. 72
Bio 89
Chem 93

Comp 68

I volunteer year round at a YMCA in chicago, I volunteer as a summer camp teacher at salvation army every monday and tuesday from 8-1pm. I work as a sterilization assistant at an oral surgery clinic, Last summer I worked as a CNA at a nursing home. I have been a Chemistry/Biology Supplemental Instruction leader ( holds review lectures based off of the main lecture) at my school for the past two years. My current cumulative gpa is 3.68, prepharm gpa 3.74, math science gpa 3.69. I am the president of the Chemistry and physics club at purdue, I am also the VP of the Democratic club there. I have also shadowed a few pharmacist in my area.

I also recieved A in all science classes except physics 1 (B+)

I cant afford to retake pcat.

So am I doomed? :scared::scared:

I just want to know if my poor verbal/reading comprehension score will stop me from getting an interview at UIC. Thanks

I took pcat thursday. my scores where:
Verbal 18
R.C. 26
Q.A. 72
Bio 89
Chem 93

Comp 68

I volunteer year round at a YMCA in chicago, I volunteer as a summer camp teacher at salvation army every monday and tuesday from 8-1pm. I work as a sterilization assistant at an oral surgery clinic, Last summer I worked as a CNA at a nursing home. I have been a Chemistry/Biology Supplemental Instruction leader ( holds review lectures based off of the main lecture) at my school for the past two years. My current cumulative gpa is 3.68, prepharm gpa 3.74, math science gpa 3.69. I am the president of the Chemistry and physics club at purdue, I am also the VP of the Democratic club there. I have also shadowed a few pharmacist in my area.

I also recieved A in all science classes except physics 1 (B+)

I cant afford to retake pcat.

So am I doomed? :scared::scared:

Hmmm not sure. Write a good essay to show you can write.. What did you get in your English classes ?

I got 25 on reading and 67 on verbal but all 90s or higher on math chem and bio and I got into Maryland Iowa and Minnesota. I had a much lower GPA than you.

I would like to apply to University of Michigan, Wayne State, and a few others, but I'm afraid my scores aren't competitive enough:

VA - 52%
Biology - 69%
Chem - 93%
RC - 43%
QA - 82%
Composite - 76%

I have a cumulative GPA of 3.8 right now and a science GPA of around 3.6.

VA - 12%
Biology - 74%
Chem - 99%
RC - 10%
QA - 99%
Composite - 92%

I have a GPA of 3.94 and getting my B.S chemistry degree.

I don't know if my low VA and RC will stop me from getting interviews. I'm applying to UMN, Wisconsin and some other top schools. I have had a internship at a pharmaceutical company and some volunteer experience. English is not my first language so I don't know if i should retake it.

Verbal 437/94
Biology 425/84
RC 431/94
QC 413/72
CHY 415/72
Composite 424/ 90

If you want to show off better composite scores to pharmacy schools and friends, yes sure, retake it.

Verbal 30 :(
Biology 74
Reading 21 :(
Quant 85
Chem 95
Com 70

I really didn't do so hot as I wanted, which is just borderline for being competitive. I want to apply for the schools in Michigan and my college GPA is 3.58, but my major is microbiology. I was really let down to see how horrible I did in verbal and reading and was aware of the tips. It's just that reading for me I cant just skim and be able to get a lot of information.

If you think you can do better, of course retake it. However, if you have good experience and EC, you should be good with that score too (+PS and LORs)

VA - 12%
Biology - 74%
Chem - 99%
RC - 10%
QA - 99%
Composite - 92%

I have a GPA of 3.94 and getting my B.S chemistry degree.

I don't know if my low VA and RC will stop me from getting interviews. I'm applying to UMN, Wisconsin and some other top schools. I have had a internship at a pharmaceutical company and some volunteer experience. English is not my first language so I don't know if i should retake it.

unless your school is looking for minimum scores of each sub-tests, why would you retake it?

I would like to apply to University of Michigan, Wayne State, and a few others, but I'm afraid my scores aren't competitive enough:

VA - 52%
Biology - 69%
Chem - 93%
RC - 43%
QA - 82%
Composite - 76%

your situation seems pretty doable to me.

unless your school is looking for minimum scores of each sub-tests, why would you retake it?
I saw UMN has a average score of 68% in VA and 58% in RC. And washington also require a min 25% in all the sections... So I wonder if I should retake it or not...also I'm not sure if I can improve my VA and RC in a month...

VA 412/68
BIO 425/84
QA 423/85
Chem 422/81
Composite 416/79

VCU admission told me that they want at least 50 percentile in all the sections... but they take the best sub scores so no harm in retaking it :]

Composite: 78
VA: 82
BIO: 79
CHEM: 76
RC: 92
QA: 21 :confused:

only have a 2.7 GPA from undergrad but went back for my masters in bio which i'm finishing up this year and have a 3.5 GPA from it. trying to get into any accredited school with low GPA requirements. not sure what to do about my 21 in QA even though my composite is above average?? willing to retake in sept but not sure whether its worth the $$$? i have been part of a hospital internship for 2+ years and volunteering in the hospital pharmacy for 1.5 years

Hey SDN! First time taking PCAT...

Verbal: 58
Biology: 74
Reading: 43
Math: 55
Chem: 97
Composite: 78 :(

I have a 3.1 undergrad gpa, lots of extracurriculars (health fairs, volunteered at independent pharmacies etc), and have been working at a cvs pharmacy for a year as a tech. I don't know if I should retake the test in Sept. because I did alright in chem and bio. It's driving me nuts!

Don't retake.

Hi SDN this my first post, just took the PCAT on July 17th. As far as final scores go I am not sure if they change at all? but here is my preliminary scores. Opinions and assessments welcome :D
GPA of 3.3 last time I checked, could be different as i did fairly well this past semester and have not looked it up since.

Verbal Ability 419/78
Biology 414/69
Quantitative 396/39
Chemistry 405/56
Composite: 413/74

Opinions? Retake? Chances? I am applying to just about all the schools in MA as well as the one in Erie, PA, and possibly the two in CT.
I have 1 year of experience working as a pharmacy technician at CVS, have volunteered for the past 4 years in a row for a local church as a kid's camp counselor. Just started recently volunteering at the local Salvation Army, and the local homeless shelter/soup kitchen. LoR's should not be a problem as i have several pharmacists willing to write me one and and my inorganic 1 & II professor is willing to write me one.
As far as the pcat is concerned i felt that Biology should have been alot higher as in my practice tests i was acing it in the 90's. Chemistry I only briefly reviewed because I took Orgo 2 last semester and thought I would remember it (mistake). And math I only spent a week and a half on due to wanting to complete all my practice tests before the actual exam.

Verbal ability 401/49
Biology 421/79
RC 398/47
QA 413/72
Chemisty 411/65
Comp 401/66

So frusterated, did the PCAT last year and ended with a 65 comp and retried this year and only improved 1 precentile....I had applied to UBC this year and even got an interview however in the end did not get accepted....not sure if i should redo the PCAT once again or if i should just leave the score....

Please help..

VA= 82
Bio=79
RA = 21
QA = 77
Chem = 91
Comp= 78

I have a 3.373 cumulative GPA; no degree yet. The schools I'm applying to : UH (Top choice), TX A&M and TSU.

I have a lot of community volunteering, but little to no pharmacy experience. I am working to fix this and am in the process of getting pharm tech certified.

I'm really hoping for an acceptance in UH mainly..Unsure if I should retake :( Please give opinions.

VA - 52%
Biology - 69%
Chem - 93%
RC - 43%
QA - 82%
Composite - 76%

Hey I am also planning to apply to U of M ann arbor. I haven't taken my pcat yet but I don't know what the chances are for me. I think your score should be in the pool of "competitive students". Just write a good personal statement and sop and do lots of volunteering and try to nail the interview and you should be fine. These are some pointers I've gotten, so just passing them on.

Took PCAT today my 2nd time:

VA: 423/82
Bio: 435/92
RC: 403/56
QA: 434/93
Chem:438/93
Composite:427/92

The only one that decreased from my 1st pcat was RC but whatever!!!

I'd like to say just to work hard - I suck at chemistry and got C's in school but I increased my chem from 56 the first time to 93. With hard work and the right strategies it CAN WORK and you will be SO proud of yourself! :)

Good luck to everyone!!

What did you use to study? (if you dont mind me asking?) Great job btw!!! =)

Thanks!
I bought the newest Kaplan PCAT book. The practice test in the beginning is really similar to the real PCAT. However the biology and chemistry sections WAY overprepare you and go too much into detail. If you don't have much time before your PCAT, I recommend just focusing on the more important details like the main reactions you need to know. For example the chem section goes into detail about isomers and chair structures but you don't need to know that.

Also I haven't heard this at all but I also got the Peterson's PCAT book from the library. It was SO SO helpful so I def recommend it. The verbal section is great and so are the bio and chem sections and it has 3 practice tests in the back.

and DEFINATELY buy the online 3 pearson practice tests. I took one each week, starting 3 weeks from the test. After you finish one test, go through it, writing down any answers/topics you got wrong. Then go through that topic thoroughly again. After you go through all 3 tests, you know for sure what you are weak in and can study that material again and again. But give yourself ample time!

Hope this helped :)

BTW- I also got the MCAT Examkrackers Orgo book because I suck at orgo. and it really helped!

Hi everyone, i just took pcat for the first time in July and here is my score:
Verbal: 18:mad:
Reading: 8:bang:
Math: 78
Chem: 99
Bio: 89
Comp: 79
My GPA is 3.948 (it's from CC though). I have no experience in pharmacy nor having any volunteer work (except for one day event at my school that I volunteered to help middle school students doing some science experiments..) I feel ok with my composite score but for the verbal and reading subscores, they are way to low. I've already register to retake pcat in september but i'm not sure if i can improve my verbal and reading skills in only less than a month ( and English is not my first language). I want to apply to U of M, Wayne State, and Ferris State. Should I retake the pcat or not? Or what else should I do to make me more competitive?

hello! just got my official pcat score report, wondering about chances?

VA: 412/68
Bio: 484/99
RC: 418/82
QA: 460/99
Chem: 463/99
Composite: 447/99

GPA is quite low though :( should be around 3.1?

for me, doing the PCAT destroyer and dr. collins really helped :)

Dude you'll get into all the top schools that require pcat.

Do u mind sharing how did u studied for the PCAT? and how long? Thankss

Dude you'll get into all the top schools that require pcat.

just a little worried about the low verbal and my gpa :/ thanks for your input though :)

Do u mind sharing how did u studied for the PCAT? and how long? Thankss

did all the questions from the PCAT destroyer and dr. collins. i think i studied over the span of two months (doing research as well during the summer), but didn't really 'study' until the last two weeks before my test. buying the pearson tests really helps too!

did all the questions from the PCAT destroyer and dr. collins. i think i studied over the span of two months (doing research as well during the summer), but didn't really 'study' until the last two weeks before my test. buying the pearson tests really helps too![/QUOTE]

Thank you! with ur PCAT score, u will eventually get into UNC Chapel Hill. So no worries :)

Just took the PCAT today :mad:

VB: 18 :(
Bio: 46
RC: 14 :(
QA:93
Chem:76

Cummulative GPA is 3.76, Science GPA is 3.74. 100+ hours of volunteer during high school, volunteered teaching English back at home, in pharmacy club at my CC.

I'm looking at Midwestern-IL, Roosevelt U, and Chicago State, should I retake it in October?

Just took the PCAT today :mad:

VB: 18 :(
Bio: 46
RC: 14 :(
QA:93
Chem:76

Cummulative GPA is 3.76, Science GPA is 3.74. 100+ hours of volunteer during high school, volunteered teaching English back at home, in pharmacy club at my CC.

I'm looking at Midwestern-IL, Roosevelt U, and Chicago State, should I retake it in October?

In my opinion, you do not need to retake. Your stats will get you at least a couple of interviews.