SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

The Sleep Article in Time Magazine

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ploy, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ploy

ploy 2+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Did anyone read the sleep article in Time Magazine called How Much Sleep Do You Really Need? Its pretty interesting. The article was basically saying that people only need about 6.5 hours of sleep a night, not 8 and that getting more than 8.5 hours of sleep could actually be worse than sleeping for only 5 hours. I found this encouraging since I know I will most definately be sacrificing sleep time for study time in dental school. Just thought I would share!,8599,1812420,00.html?xid=feed-yahoo-full-healthsci
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. usernametaken

usernametaken 5+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I'll stay with my 9 hours personally.:sleep:
  4. cherr1pop

cherr1pop 5+ Year Member

May 24, 2007
    me too. i really believe that it's different from person to person... cause i'd probably crash on 6.5 hours of sleep/day after like a week... but this is coming from a person who slept 7.5 hours the nights before her ochem finals (8 hours/day for the week before)... i do envy people who can pull off all-nighters and function on lack of sleep cause i never have/can..
    i'm currently on 10 hours/day since it's summer :sleep:
  5. eldirty

eldirty 7+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2008
    interesting article ... nice post
  6. firecracked

firecracked 2+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2007
    It's different for everyone. I wish I could last on about 5.5 - 6 hours of sleep because that's all I usually get on weekdays. My body needs 9 hours, though, so I get pretty deprived.

We learned in bio that a person who averages 6 hours of sleep or less over a period of time functions at the same level as a person who hasn't slept in 88 straight hours (~3.5 days). I believe it considering how crappy I feel at the end of a tough week.
  7. PooyaH

PooyaH 2+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2008
    I think it really depends on each person as well! Personally, if I get up at 6am every day for over 2 weeks, I automatically wake up at 6 everyday and feel fresh no matter how late I go to bed lol and if I sleep in everyday for over 2 weeks, getting up at 6 is absolutely positively impossible! :D
  8. thebozz1975

thebozz1975 5+ Year Member

Oct 5, 2007
    These studies are notoriously worthless. Absolutely zero control for the variable they are studying. I prefer the studies showing impaired judgment when people don't get enough sleep from one day to the next. At least those are somewhat controlled.
  9. ploy

ploy 2+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2007
    haha. wasn't trying to start a debate. just thought it was an interesting article. i understand that everyone has a different amount of sleep that works for them.
  10. mddang

mddang 5+ Year Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Whether I go to bed at 11 or 2, I wake up between 6 and 7am. I feel like crap unless I get about 7-8hr of sleep. If I get about 6 hr of sleep, I can't concentrate when studying.
  11. Contach

Contach 7+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2008
    What's wrong with a debate? Why are you unhappy that a debate came out of your post?
  12. bennijai

bennijai 5+ Year Member

May 23, 2006
    New York
    wasn't there also a study that people who sleep within 6-8 hours live longer than people who sleep less than 6 or more than 8?
  13. rollredroll

rollredroll 5+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2007
    I usually take articles like these with a heap of salt because they almost always fail to address variables other than sleep that go into how long you live (eg. stress, health, etc.)

But, sleep debt is a fact and can build up for each night you get less sleep than needed. that said, each of us is different and requires different amounts of sleep.

I spent all of last year in two sleep classes and it's a very interesting subject. highly recommended.