The SMARTEST DO school in the nation!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You prove my point exactly--you may possibly have done very well on the USMLE, had you chosen to take it, since you did so well on the COMLEX. Your high score may have offest a lower score. You apparently did not choose to forego the USMLE because of risk of failure, so others may have also. My only point was that the numbers ARE skewed, but that we cannot fathom in which direction. Those who may have done better may well offset those who may have done worse. Clearly, the numbers on the USMLE are worthless for determining the value of a school's training.

P.S.--I am about as chilled out as i get, so take it or leave it :)

Members don't see this ad.

JohnDO,

While I agree that the logic does not follow that USMLE scores are artifically higher for DO schools based on what you've said, I do think that on a strictly pass/fail basis, you can make that broad generalization. Here's why:

Even if it is the wannabe-MDs who just didnt have the grades to make it to an MD school...

(Let's be honest here, based strictly on scores, MD schools are more difficult to get into. Otherwise, wannabe-MDs wouldn't exist at DO schools.)

...no one is going to take the exam if they feel they will fail. It hurts their chances of any residency overall. It wouldn't be smart.

So the pass rate is artifically higher. The mean score could be higher or lower, I suppose based on your viewpoint.

sorry, i thought we were talking about pass rates, not scores.

yeah, i would agree that scores could be skewed either direction, due to "smart" people not taking the USMLE. But for pass rates, those high scorers would pass the USMLE anyway-- again the people who wouldn't pass it don't take it, so the stellar pass rates could be artificially high. Yes, a 99% or whatever pass rate be artifically low, as you argue, but the chances of this are pretty damn slim. :)

anyway, we agre on the main point, that being that you can't use the optional USMLE to evaluate a school's quality.

as for the chill out comment-- i'm sorry if i took your post accusing me of operating under wrong assumptions, not seeing things being more complicated than i thought, and lacking logical thought as being a little on the aggressive side. The rolling eyes was a cute touch, too, lol.

take it easy

homonculus

Members don't see this ad :)
Best school hands down UHS-COM Kansas City MO.
Why? New curicuulum genesis program case based learning. State of the art research facilities being built. Good foundation for OMT incorporated into case analysis. Also almost all our graduates get accepted in top choice residency slots. In an allopathic world this is HUGE.

Well just my 2 cents.

Actually ALL 20 and counting are great schools (perhaps 1/yr anticipated growth from AOA president at Maryland Conference 2002).

Good luck to all and thanks to all MD's and DO's posting on this forum.

Thanks, Aviator, for getting my point.

Homonculus, if you will read a little further back, you will see that I never bought in to that 99% pass rate claim. Spend more time reading and less arguing. . . (yes I am a little more aggressive now)

Your scores, grades, etc do not matter when residency programs decide to choose people for residency. You scores in the 1st two years of med school rnaked last among things that residency directors looked at to decide if they wanted you.

Most important are your board scores, personality, critical thinking skills, human relations skills, etc etc etc....
not grades.

Although TUCOM was ranked second for MCAT, it was ranked first for grades. I think it's pretty clear that TUCOM is superior. I knew a guy who applied to TUCOM and wasn't even considered but KCOM snatched him right up. He was a complete idiot!!! That pretty much helped me to decide that TUCOM is where it's at. The funny thing is, a lot of these other schools have been operating for many years(>100) and they are still not producing the high quality physicians that TUCOM produces(after only operating for 5 years). Sorry KCOM, PCOM, OSUCOM, etc.

I thought I was done with this post, but I just have to knock Kcav off of his high horse. My opinion on what the best DO school is can be read in my previous post--basically, it's not the school that makes the physician, but the heart and the mind of the individual. I was told by physicians dear to my family not to even apply to TUCOM because their rotations are lousy. This is not a shot to the school, it is just a new school and from what I've been told, their progress in establishing themselves in the bay area has not gone as quickly or smoothly as they would have liked. I'm sure it's a great school with a bright future, but to say that it is superior based on one schmuck who didn't get in, but got in at KCOM is a very weak argument. I gurantee there are a couple people in your class like that... every single school has them... possibly one in your class who didn't get into KCOM, but was "snatched up" by TUCOM. Your post was just sad... If you keep up with that attitude, TUCOM will still be producing quality physicians... you just won't be one of them. Again, the best school is the school that, given your psychological past, present, and future tendencies will allow you to succeed. That is what I based my med school decision on last year when I had the fortune of deciding between several of our great profession's institutions.

The funny thing is, a lot of these other schools have been operating for many years(>100) and they are still not producing the high quality physicians that TUCOM produces(after only operating for 5 years). Sorry KCOM, PCOM, OSUCOM, etc.

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum. I am so happy that I decided not to send my secondary back to TUCOM, I really don't want to be at the same school as this guy.

hyper :p

Hper_74 and Rockandrolldoc,
Don't be mad. It's not your fault that your schools SUCK. Oh, wait, yes it is!! It's touchy feely idiots like you that bring down your school's stats. Instead of studying you're probably heading up some "How to deal with the stresses of Med. School" club. Quit whining and start studying!!!!!
It's true that we're a newer school, however our rotations couldn't be better. In fact we have many students from KCOM, Kansas, PCOM, COMP, etc. that rotate here because of the excellent opportunities. And FYI, many of the attendings at these hospitals have said that TUCOM's students out perform all other schools including some of the MD schools in the Bay Area. No wonder we have students that have matched at Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, etc. etc. etc. Top students = Top programs

dude, i just cant resist getting in on this one.

kcav, i love your dedication and school spirit bro!

reality check......touro is a solid program education wise. i am a fourth year there right now. its fine and dandy they have raised the bar as far as admission grades and scores etc..way to go to the administration for trying to improve our reputation. comlex pass rates actually went down last cycle-too bad. but, when you say we are putting out such high quality docs i must ask where ya purchased the crack your free-basing in your bong??? down on sonoma blvd in vallejo i presume! only two classes have graduated, mine will make three. what do you base those assumptions on? ya people matched to great programs, but lots more matched to normal programs. that really only speaks to say that many programs are open to accept our graduates based on their performance and personality, not school reputation. my class has some pathetic losers in it who will graduate as "high quality physicians" like you said. so does every class md or do.

rockandroll was dead on with the rotations. its been a tough road for the school to get good 'bay area' rotations set up, and i can say from experience that the majority are still lackluster to be kind. main point-not many teaching hospitals around where we are incorporated into the programs currently. lots of small, outpatient based rotations if that your gig. have no fear!......the school is very flexible where you do your rotations so all you do is choose rotations at good programs and hospitals. my best learning months have been at programs that i have set up my self all across the state and country. its really the way to go. if you cream over a month at ucsf or uc davis or wherever then go do rotations there at the end of third yr or during fourth year! but when you show up having only seen the cushy touro core rotations there will be a steep learning curve, so beware.

the program here is solid, i am happy with it. its a means to an end-graduation. living is this area is awesome. but to think we are putting out docs better than the other schools is just wrong. we are as good as most md and do graduates are when we finish. if you want to graduate education and experience wise more on the level of the higher tier md programs then rotate with those students in those hospitals and you most definitely will get the the education they get, but you will bust your ass much harder getting it. its there if you want it dude.

tucom 2003

Come on dude, you're spoiling my fun. I'm just trying to see how angry these people will get over discussing the "BEST" DO school. I mean do you really think that one school is better than another? I think the majority of students could care less but there's always those gunners that are out to prove that they're the best. At least let me have some fun with them!!!

FYI to Kcav...KCOM doesn't send students anywhere near TUCOM for rotations. I just wanted to get that straightened out lest I or any of my classmates become further embarrassed by that notion.

Ryan

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously, there are some admissions committees that are lying to us. At least 3 schools are claiming that their pass rates are the highest. This can't be true. So I've done a LITTLE research, and I've found at least one link that contains some data:

This comes from a newsletter put out by TCOM regarding COMLEX 2000, I believe.

This was compiled from the March 2001 COSGP meeting. Some adminstrations did not release their data. Of those who did, here is the rank order:

KCOM 99.6
AZCOM 99.2
OSU-COM 98.9
TCOM 97.8
WesternU/COMP 97
DMU 97
UNECOM 95
CCOM 93
MSUCOM 92

I realize that this is old data. Anybody have more recent?

(source: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/organizations/msga/documents/Maylink.pdf)

According to our office of admissions, the COMLEX Level I pass rate for all students at osteopathic schools in June '01 (average, n=2477) was 93.7%. For CCOM, the pass rate was 97.3%.

Kcav wrote:
It's touchy feely idiots like you that bring down your school's stats. Instead of studying you're probably heading up some "How to deal with the stresses of Med. School" club. Quit whining and start studying!!!!!

YEAH!!! It's so refreshing to hear someone talk about REALITY and stop being sickeningly politicall correct. I'm so sick of all those LIBERAL WHACK JOBS who think that their big hearts will heal patients!!! COMPETENCY is #1. BIG HEARTS#2. Without competency, you might as well be a priest because religion, pets, moral support, disney world, jokes and laughter, etc, WHILE THERAPEUTIC AND IMPORTANT, can only do so much. Dapsone will cure a leper, not a hug! We're scientists for crying out loud. And don't give me all that "oh every graduate from every schoo. is equally competent" BULL****! Affirmative Action forces our schools to accept *****s, who aren't intellectually capable of becoming brilliant docs, and even brilliant people who go to med school may be slackers and will end up incompetent- but they all squeeze through the proccess and become "doctors." I want the smartes doc with the highest board scores to take care of my child when he's sick, not the Pope. Thank you Kcav

ribcrackindoc,
it sounds like someone hurt your feelings. Do you want to talk about it? We could make a support group for you.

:D

hey rib-"cracker".... I know you must be busy getting on your robe for the next Klan meeting, but let me just tell you that the biggest so-called *****s here are ignorant white people like you, not the acceptees through affirmative action. How's that for PC?

More UHS numbers:
5th out of 19 DO schools in terms of pass rates.
Unknown in terms of average score comparisons
UHS average COMLEX 520
UHS high: 776/100
88% Usmle pass rates n= 100
All numbers confirmed by administration

When I interviewed at UHS last year, the administration told me their USMLE Step I pass rate for the previous year was 50%. No joke.

Originally posted by Nic_machiavelli
Hate to pee on people's parades, but I'm a bit annoyed today about grades.

If grades were all that important you wouldn't have to worry about internships or residencies. You could ace a test and then treat a patient. Fortunately, grades have little to do with how good a doctor you become. Go ahead and argue this as an intellectual exercise, but honestly, you may want to keep grades in perspective. I'd rather my children visit a pediatrician with 10 years of experience after middling scores than someone fresh out of a top-rated school with blazing scores.

Good point. You all are too # hungry
Seriously guys do the volunteer work be a class officer these hold almost as much weight as your grades do in residency interviews
Diane

Originally posted by shindog
When I interviewed at UHS last year, the administration told me their USMLE Step I pass rate for the previous year was 50%. No joke.

I know for a fact this is NOT TRUE.

Call them they will tell you.
1-800-234-4uhs
last 4 years on file range from 82%-88%
different n's of course

I have no personal stake in this UHS matter, but perhaps there's a 50% pass rate for first-time test takers and a higher pass rate overall?

Originally posted by RockandRolldoc
hey rib-"cracker".... I know you must be busy getting on your robe for the next Klan meeting, but let me just tell you that the biggest so-called *****s here are ignorant white people like you, not the acceptees through affirmative action. How's that for PC?

I'm Asian, not white. Affirmative action keeps more Asians out of med schools than whites. I have a dear friend on the admissions committee at my school, and when he viewed that shameful stats of the next interviewee, he asked the head of admissions "why are we interviewing this person?" Her reply was simply "because she's black." Does that not say it all?????

Originally posted by hyper_74
The funny thing is, a lot of these other schools have been operating for many years(>100) and they are still not producing the high quality physicians that TUCOM produces(after only operating for 5 years). Sorry KCOM, PCOM, OSUCOM, etc.

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum. I am so happy that I decided not to send my secondary back to TUCOM, I really don't want to be at the same school as this guy.

hyper :p

I agree with hyper. This post is just plain funny.

Originally posted by Kcav

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not sure how I missed this post earlier.

Umm, by the way, OSUCOM has only been around for 30 years, which isn't really all that long.

KCOM. Period. Nobody can make a case against it. Good luck at other schools.

"I have no personal stake in this UHS matter, but perhaps there's a 50% pass rate for first-time test takers and a higher pass rate overall?"

No, it is first time takers. Again UHS is proud of its pass rates and invite you or anyone to call and inquire.
As for the best school, I don't know enough about other schools to make that call, however if you are basing it on pass rates there were four higher than UHS, that is what I know. I don't see enough info posted to even evaluate KCOM, MSU, or PCOM as a contender for the "best " in terms of board scores. However, the NBME, who also visited UHS last year along with KCOM and I'm sure other DO schools, won't post pass rates for the schools, but most schools will release that info if proud of them.

Hi,
Being a student at UHS, I would like to jump in and make a statement regarding their pass rates for the boards. They had a 96-97% pass rate on the COMLEX this past year and around 84% pass rate first time test takers for the USMLE Step I. This is what I was told by numerous individuals at school and by Kaplan workers. Maybe this can solve the turmoil about the numbers at UHS.

PS: This thread is a joke! Who cares which is the best medical school as long as you work hard to do your best to learn medicine. Come on, none of us Osteopathic students and even most Allopathic students, aren't graduating from John's Hopkins, Duke, or Harvard. So What does it really matter? Learn medicine and be a Good Doc!

Have a nice Day!

I agree with the above poster. I don't think that Board scores determine how great the school is, but it is still fun to compare hard numbers.

Just to add my two cents....

My mom and I were talking about my decision between two schools and we were talking about the board scores, placement rates, reputation of the school, blah, blah, blah. And we both decided that none of this really matters - Anyone who graduates from any medical school is going to be a doctor - And anywhere you go, you will become the best doctor you can be if you work hard enough - When you are out in the real world practicing medicine, nobody asks you where you went to undergrad or medical school. Medical school is what you make of it. And no matter what, we're all going to be doctors.