GoGatorsDMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Status
Having taken and passed the Florida boards, I can say that taking SRTA was vastly different and much more easygoing. I am 2 years away from general dentistry doing an OMFS residency in Louisville, KY.

The people at the SRTA office (Crystal) were very helpful, courteous, and took my concerns seriously.

The floor examiners and general mood of the exam were very laid back and not adversarial. I did not feel like I was in a concentration camp.

The criteria for acceptable lesions is much more lenient.

The perio / pros really do test important concepts, on the whole.

Results are posted promptly following the exam.

If you have to do a patient based exam (ask your neurosurgeon how he/she was evaluated...... NOT with a patient) I would recommend SRTA if you have a choice. I passed, btw.

omaralt

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Status
Dentist
Lol ya I'm sure anything would be easier than that monstracity known as thr Florida boards. Congrats on passing, however your advice to take the SRTA doesn't make much sense, since most people take the exam that will be accepted where they want to work. I'm pretty sure people don't base where they're going to live based on how easy/hard an exam is?

GoGatorsDMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Status
There are some places where you have a choice as a dental student, such as in KY where you can take SRTA or WREB. If you plan on practicing in a state where both are accepted, pick the "easier" one.

My situation is that I've got FL already and I just wanted any regional board to go with it, not sure where I'm going to end up when I'm done with oral surg.

omaralt

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Status
Dentist
There are some places where you have a choice as a dental student, such as in KY where you can take SRTA or WREB. If you plan on practicing in a state where both are accepted, pick the "easier" one.

My situation is that I've got FL already and I just wanted any regional board to go with it, not sure where I'm going to end up when I'm done with oral surg.
that makes sense.. my situation is that i may want to go outside of florida, but i am not willing to take any other licensing exam (the FL boards will do that to you :)). so i'm just going to wait out for the 5 yr licensing by credentials and then i can pretty much go anywhere. i love how other states accept us after 5 yrs yet FL will not accept anybody unless they take our boards :)

omar

sdent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Hi,

I am planning to take SRTA in a few months time and would like to know about the Computer based exam. I am practicing in PA for 2 years and took NERB's at that time. How is the grading system in SRTA as I heard the seem quite strict. What does one need to study for the computer based exam? Is there some studying material that helps you prepare for the exam?

Any feed back will be appreciated

Thanks
Sdent

Newgoalsdentdoc

7+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2010
Status
Dentist
Excellent post. I am thinking of taking the SRTA soon. I have heard a lot of positive comments from other dentists who have taken it as well. This post is a confirmation. I truly believe that certain exams influence where you choose to practice and because I have heard good things about the SRTA, it has helped me choose a future place to practice. I can see why you made these points and this post will be helpful to others.