The status of IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Podolsking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an Australian medical student currently in his third year studying in Turkey. As most of you would know European medical schools are six years (5 + 1 Year Internship). I grew up in Australia but as my family had to move to Turkey right after I finished high school I moved with them and started medical school here.

I've been researching the pathway I'd have to take If I were to come back and I am confused and worried. Would I have to redo one year of internship after passing the AMC despite doing it here. It says 12 years of supervised practice which some claim to be a fancy word for internship.

If I do have to do one year like this whats the likelihood of me finding a position. I've read that IMGs are last on the list of priorities and even domestic students are having a hard time finding a spot.

Also during this 12 months supervised practice would I be getting paid, because Australia is a fairly expensive country.

Thanks for your responses in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an Australian medical student currently in his third year studying in Turkey. As most of you would know European medical schools are six years (5 + 1 Year Internship). I grew up in Australia but as my family had to move to Turkey right after I finished high school I moved with them and started medical school here.

I've been researching the pathway I'd have to take If I were to come back and I am confused and worried. Would I have to redo one year of internship after passing the AMC despite doing it here. It says 12 years of supervised practice which some claim to be a fancy word for internship.

If I do have to do one year like this whats the likelihood of me finding a position. I've read that IMGs are last on the list of priorities and even domestic students are having a hard time finding a spot.

Also during this 12 months supervised practice would I be getting paid, because Australia is a fairly expensive country.

Thanks for your responses in advance

I'm an Australian medical student at UQ but I am completely ignorant about such matters. I would suggest heading over to Paging Doctor (Australian forum) to ask this question - there are plenty of practicing doctors on there who will be in a much better position to answer questions about the Australian system.

http://pagingdr.net/