The Suit Thread (for dudes)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rook16

Neophyte
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suits are neat...am I right or am I right?

Members don't see this ad.

Most guys don't own a suit?? Chances are most guys had a suit for med school interviews... but that is a good question: black? gray? i dunno! I haven't even worn a tie on rotations since my first rotation of 3rd year! Gotta love CA!

I've got 4 I'm going to rotate through; black, light grey pinstripe, charcoal grey check, and navy blue; all thanks to an awesome sale a Jos A Bank a few mo ago

Most guys don't own a suit?? Chances are most guys had a suit for med school interviews... but that is a good question: black? gray? i dunno! I haven't even worn a tie on rotations since my first rotation of 3rd year! Gotta love CA!

Why would they? Especially with the freshmen 15 (or 30 in med school)?

They are barely visible pinstripes; not the 2in wide pinstripes suits that Dr. 90210 wears

I've got two solids, charcoal and black. The black looks a little stuffy (IMHO), so I'm not sure how much I will wear this one. On a side note, recently I picked up these "iron free" shirts and man, they kick serious ass. They are a bit more expensive, but you just pull it out of the dryer and voila! No ironing needed. Makes those mornings I am running late that much better.

When I opened this thread I did not think it would actually devolve into guys discussing the merits of the thin pinstripe. Have you no shame....

p.s. just kidding.

When I opened this thread I did not think it would actually devolve into guys discussing the merits of the thin pinstripe. Have you no shame....

p.s. just kidding.

:) :) :)

I've got two solids, charcoal and black. The black looks a little stuffy (IMHO), so I'm not sure how much I will wear this one. On a side note, recently I picked up these "iron free" shirts and man, they kick serious ass. They are a bit more expensive, but you just pull it out of the dryer and voila! No ironing needed. Makes those mornings I am running late that much better.

Jos A Bank has awesome wrinkle free shirts, called the Traveler collection. They don't fade/wear much if you wash with good detergent on cold/delicate. They are ~$50, but no need for dry cleaning makes it cheaper in long run if you figure dry cleaning (w/ collection of ~10shirts) every other week x ~$2 per, you pay for the shirt again in just dry cleaning cost.

Oh my, I've now reduced the conversation to laundering shirts...

Keep it coming fellas. How much should I be looking to pay for a good suit (not a Dr. 90210 suit) - not including shoes, socks, shirt, tie? Also, how much is tailoring a suit?

Keep it coming fellas. How much should I be looking to pay for a good suit (not a Dr. 90210 suit) - not including shoes, socks, shirt, tie? Also, how much is tailoring a suit?

I think a decent suit will run you around $300. Granted I am from Nevada, so things are slightly cheaper than if you purchase them here than in say, Manhattan or Los Angeles. Tailoring depends on where you buy. Some places will include it in the cost, some will charge a fee of like $20-$25 or thereabouts. You are not schmoozing clients or giving presentations to big investors, so I would not pay more than $300-$400 for a suit. You will not be using it that often after interviews (unless you are at the Mayo :laugh:), IMO, so stick with something that looks good, fits right, and is relatively inexpensive.

Rule of Thumb (according to the big bad Iserson's) is to wear a suit that will not make you look better than those interviewing you... whatever the hell that means! I'm pretty sure I would look better than ANYONE interviewing me! lol! JUST KIDDING

2 buttons (big opening for shirt/tie) or 3 buttons (resembles the top of a white coat)?

2 buttons (big opening for shirt/tie) or 3 buttons (resembles the top of a white coat)?

I have both...supposedly 3 buttons are "in" right now, but 2 buttons are more "classic," and may be better longterm...I personally like the 3 button more b/c it gives a longer center line, making me look thinner...haha, this thread cracks me up

Go to a K & G fashion store. You can score a nice suit (Jones, DKNY, Ralph Lauren) for a good price (< 200 bucks). They have a huge selection, pretty much every size including sport cuts, and all the accessories you'll need. Then take the suit to a taylor, pay around 30 bucks. Viola.

http://www.kgmens.com/

I prefer the Stafford Traveler Plus suits because they are very wrinkle resistant. I have four of them - brown, olive, navy and charcoal. I'll use the navy and charcoal for my interviews. You can't go wrong with a classic color in a classic design. Don't let your non-traditional suit be the only thing they remember from your interview.

I think a decent suit will run you around $300. Granted I am from Nevada, so things are slightly cheaper than if you purchase them here than in say, Manhattan or Los Angeles. Tailoring depends on where you buy. Some places will include it in the cost, some will charge a fee of like $20-$25 or thereabouts. You are not schmoozing clients or giving presentations to big investors, so I would not pay more than $300-$400 for a suit. You will not be using it that often after interviews (unless you are at the Mayo :laugh:), IMO, so stick with something that looks good, fits right, and is relatively inexpensive.

Fits right is the most important. Don't plan on buying one and wearing it off the rack, find a good tailor and take it there to be fitted.

You should be able to raise your arms parallel to the ground in front of you and not have the buttoned jacket rise up. The sleeves should show about 1/4" of shirt cuff (unless french cuffs, and don't wear those on an interview unless its plastics). Trousers should just slightly break in front, hitting your shoe, and drop down to almost the heel in back.

And for G-D's sake, learn how to tie a necktie. If you have a big honking thick tie, use a thin knot -- nobody looks good with a fist sized necktie knot.

I have the standard grey suit, but am wondering if the blue blazer and tan or grey slacks would do to 'break it up':

230M_th.jpg

I have the standard grey suit, but am wondering if the blue blazer and tan or grey slacks would do to 'break it up'

I'd stick with a suit for interviews.

For those of you thinking about a truly black suit...don't. Black suits are for funerals. Go with charcoal or navy.

I have the issue of being an unusual size. I'm short (about 5'2") but I'm also quite thin. The very few suits I've found that fit me lengthwise are way too wide for even a tailor to fix so that it would look right. Apparently, suit-makers think all short guys are fat. I'm also hoping that a close-fitting suit would accentuate my thinness and make me look taller.

My question is : Would it be worth the expense to have a custom suit made so that I could be sure it would actually fit?

Does anyone have any experience with how much are we looking at? Any recommendations for tailors?

Thanks to anyone that would be willing to offer advice.

I have the issue of being an unusual size...Would it be worth the expense to have a custom suit made so that I could be sure it would actually fit?

You don't have go custom. You can get what's called "made-to-measure," which is basically where they take a standard pattern and adjust it to fit you. It's not the same as buying off the rack and having it altered, as the whole suit is made to order. It's a lot cheaper than custom (probably half). Any upscale mens' shop should be able to accommodate you. It's a good investment, IMO. Having a suit that fits properly makes a huge difference not only in the way you look, but also the way you feel.

Geeze, so what's the consensus for guys?

Dark? light? Gray? Black? Pinstripes? No Pinstripes?

I tried to use the search for things like:

"interview attire"
"black suits"
"interview suits"

Not much help.

I got a great deal on this suit. Is it ok for interviews? It's blacker than it looks in the pics?

full-suit.jpg

close-up-1.jpg

Geeze, so what's the consensus for guys?

Dark? light? Gray? Black? Pinstripes? No Pinstripes?

I tried to use the search for things like:

"interview attire"
"black suits"
"interview suits"

Not much help.

I got a great deal on this suit. Is it ok for interviews? It's blacker than it looks in the pics?

NICE!

I have the standard grey suit, but am wondering if the blue blazer and tan or grey slacks would do to 'break it up':

230M_th.jpg

I have the same question.
I think I will get my momma to dress me.

is that sarcasm?

anyone else?

I think that suit is pretty sharp...just as long as you compliment it well with nice shirt and tie. I wouldn't try stripes on stripes on stripes as few people can pull it off.

nah, solids under that one all the way... have a really nice solid light blue & tie that'd be great...

Screw the suit, I'm wearin scrubs. :) It's the only thing that looks good on me anyway. Besides, I think just MAYBE we have all reached a new point of OCD with this thread. Look professional and that's fine. I don't think most of the interviewers will have degrees in fashion to give a damn what we look like, unless, of course, you're trying to look seductive?!?!? :eek:

what about panty lines? boxers, briefs, or man thong?

Hi all, what do you guys think about the dinner the nite b4 the interview, casual or formal? is it OK to wear jeans? one of my interviews, they want me to go the day b4 for a tour in the hospital followed by a dinner, that one should be formal, right?

Thanks a lot

Hi all, what do you guys think about the dinner the nite b4 the interview, casual or formal? is it OK to wear jeans? one of my interviews, they want me to go the day b4 for a tour in the hospital followed by a dinner, that one should be formal, right?

Thanks a lot

One program coordinator answered this question before I asked...She said business casual (shirt and tie) at dinner the night before...

so I gotta get a new suit (medium grey or most likely a navy suit). I have a charcoal grey suit I probably need let out since I last had it altered (damn study butt!).

Anyways, I'm probably gonna get a sports coat as well for the night prior stuff. never owned one. Any recommendations?

I saw a brownish one that didn't look too bad. Not sure what kind or color slacks I'd pair it with though.

p.s. - i feel fruity talking about clothign with men ...

Wait, what are you guys saying you're suppose to wear the night prior to your interview? I was under the impression this was khakis or (gasp!) even jeans!

Does everyone forget how to dress during interview season? We all interviewed for medical school, some of us have gone job hunting, and most of us have enough common sense to get by. We're men, figuring out what to wear should be easy. Dinner at a restaurant the night before? Shirt + slacks. Keep a tie on at the beginning if and take it off if it doesn't fit the restaurant's style. Interview day? Simple. Suite should be black, navy, or grey. Stick to the basic colors and you can't go wrong. Black shoes, nice tie, shaved face, common sense people. It doesn't have to be tailor made as long as it fits fine. Have you seen the way a lot of Drs dress? Do they really look they have degrees in fashion? Faking it is easy, especially for men.

Does everyone forget how to dress during interview season? We all interviewed for medical school, some of us have gone job hunting, and most of us have enough common sense to get by. We're men, figuring out what to wear should be easy. Dinner at a restaurant the night before? Shirt + slacks. Keep a tie on at the beginning if and take it off if it doesn't fit the restaurant's style. Interview day? Simple. Suite should be black, navy, or grey. Stick to the basic colors and you can't go wrong. Black shoes, nice tie, shaved face, common sense people. It doesn't have to be tailor made as long as it fits fine. Have you seen the way a lot of Drs dress? Do they really look they have degrees in fashion? Faking it is easy, especially for men.

Amen bro!