The Suit Thread (for dudes)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have no black shoes/black belts that aren't scuffed and decrepit. Are nice brown shoes (~$100) and brown belt ok to wear instead?

I have no black shoes/black belts that aren't scuffed and decrepit. Are nice brown shoes (~$100) and brown belt ok to wear instead?

You mean you don't have a nice black belt? OMG what ever should you do? Here's an idea, go down to old navy/gap/insert whatever other store you can think of and spend $20 on a new black belt. I'm sure you'll be able to find something. Need new shoes? Go out and buy a new pair, trust me it's money well spent. How many interviews do you have? How much are you spending on flights and hotels? Spend an extra couple of bucks on a new pair of shoes and a belt. For more helpful tips please see my earlier post. Just use common sense

I wanted to resurrect this thread - interview season is coming up and we all have to wear suits. Unfortunately there ain't much on SDN. I did a lot of research, and here's my two cents:

Residency interviews are job interviews, and medicine is a very conservative profession. So you should dress the part. Probably charcoal or navy suit, conservative shirts and conservative ties.

The next question is how much to spend. I see a lot of people talking about Men's Wearhouse and $200 suits, which I think most professionals, even just starting out in the business world, would scoff at. To me, that shows how little doctors know about the business world and professional dress. However, the person interviewing you will likely be just as misguided fashion-wise, so maybe it's a wash. Nonetheless, decent wool suits start in the $600 range and can obviously go to many thousands of dollars if you're talking about Italian designer stuff. But, if you're already in the hole tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, can't you afford to spend a grand or so to dress appropriately to start your professional career?

I highly recommend this site: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum

I also depends on what you're interviewing for.

Plastic surgeons and Dermatologists have an image to uphold and likely know the difference between a poly blend suit from Men's Wearhouse and a Paul Smith or Armani. If you don't look the part, you won't fit in.

Then again, many academic physicians are at a loss when it comes to clothes. I am still haunted by the short sleeve shirts, tight and short poly pants and yellow ties a neurologist I worked for wore.

For most, a well cut nice suit will last you until its time to interview for a job or fellowship, so it pays to invest in something of good quality.

From what I observed on residency interviews (anesthesia), if you have a suit that fits you well, and transport it without creases, you're well ahead of the curve...

Something other than black, and you're 90th percentile.

...if you're already in the hole tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, can't you afford to spend a grand or so to dress appropriately to start your professional career?...
Uh, not really, no. Appropriateness of dress has nothing to do with price. What's "appropriate" is to dress professionally and conservatively, whatever your budget is. Of course, you should purchase the best clothes you can reasonably afford, but I don't really see any point in spending a month's rent on a single fabulous suit unless you have an image problem.

seriously, what's with all the ragging on black suits? have none of you ever seen a well-dressed man in a black suit outside of a funeral home? christ.

anyway, being poor as i am, i will likely bide my time for one of those S&K/Mens Warehouse 2 for $x00 sales. my main interview suit is a navy blue, and I've been itching to add a nice charcoal number to my rotation. and ditto on the no-iron shirts--they're awesome. i also agree with the sentiment that the ones who stand out on interview days aren't necessarily the ones with no fashion sense, but those who are wearing something that doesn't fit right. talk about looking awkward. people, do NOT borrow suits from brothers/friends. we're all adults here, and everybody should own a suit or two.

Think different.

I plan on buying one of those life-sized cutouts of famous stars and taping it to my face, anterior chest, tummy, and thighs.

Behind the suave visage, I could wear whatever I want. Scrubs. My birthday suit. You know, as long as it covers my tushy.

danielpc5.jpg

Think different.

I plan on buying one of those life-sized cutouts of famous stars and taping it to my face, anterior chest, tummy, and thighs.

Behind the suave visage, I could wear whatever I want. Scrubs. My birthday suit. You know, as long as it covers my tushy.

danielpc5.jpg

Hmmm...he's not wearing a tie. You might get dinged for that. ;)

Hmmm...he's not wearing a tie. You might get dinged for that. ;)

True, true.

That and I don't want to show up to all my interviews with the same cardboard cutout. I'd be labelled as formulaic. Gotta mix it up.

Plan B:

orville1.JPG

what. we need a suit?
i thought we could go in without a jacket. Is that disrespectful?
I thought i looked awkward with a black suit during my med school interviews.

maybe a pink one instead....
pink.gif

Here's a cut and paste reply I wrote in another thread about men's fashion...

Fashion is one of my biggest hobbies (no, I'm not gay) so I'll chime in. THIS MAYBE A BIT LONG SO BARE WITH ME:

I generally prefer European designers over American ones b/c the former tend to make clothes that actually FIT people and usually very well. Believe it or not, most Americans wear their clothes TOO BIG. The philosophy here is "comfort" vs actually looking good. Which is fine if that's what floats your boat.

If you want to look good and not like you bought an $89 suit from Target then listen up:

1) Try your BEST not to wear a solid black suit. If you do, that's totally fine as most other interviewees will be wearing their funeral suits as well. It's the path of least resistance for some reason. However, I'd recommend you go for charcoal grey suit instead (as someone else pointed out earlier). If you get stripes just make sure they're subtle stripes and not bling bling mafioso stripes!

When looking for suits, look at the back of the blazer and see what kind of vent it has. Most American suits make their suit blazers with what I call "The Butt Crack Vent" (aka single-vent). Those are fine but the European DOUBLE VENTS (one on each side of the blazer) looks 1000x better and is more functional. How you ask? B/c when you put your hands in your pockets the single (or even worse, no vent) blazer bunches up and looks very very akward.

It will be close to IMPOSSIBLE for you to find a double-vented suit at places like Brookes Brothers (American designer) and Men's Warehouse. I mean no insult to the poster that works there but most European designers blow the socks off American suit designers. If money is tight (which I expect since we're all students) I recommend you try out discount/outlet stores. Check out Nordstorm Rack, Off Saks, Filenes Basement, etc. You will often find an $800 European suit on sale for $200.

2) White shirt is fine, especially b/c interviews are during the day (stay away from wearing white shirts at evening events, unless you're wearing a tux!). A nice blue shirt is actually what I'd recommend. It would look GREAT with a nice yellow/gold, red, or even pink tie (it has to be the right shade of pink...subtle yet powerful).

Unless you're overweight (these shirts look best on slender people), I'd recommend you try to buy a shirt with a SPREAD COLLAR. Again, most European designers make nothing but spread collar shirts. What's the difference you ask? It allows more room to tie a full windsor knot with your tie giving you a more confident look! If you don't know how tie a full windsor knot, google it. There are TONS of websites that show you how. It's a piece of cake actually.

However, if money is not object (you lucky bastard), then go to your nearest Thomas Pink store and buy a nice white or light blue shirt for ~$150-$200. If you're trying to keep your cost down, again, check out the discount/outlet stores for nice spread collar shirts. Often you can get a $200 shirt for ~$40-$60. If they're FRENCH CUFF, even better. Just keep the cuff-links subtle to avoid looking like a baller on med school interviews. Just make sure the collars FITS you. Nothing looks worse than someone who looks like they're wearing their dad's dress shirt. Size 15.5 neck but they're wearing a 17.5!

3) The most simple rule when it comes to ties is to try to match your tie with your shirt and/or suit (as one of the poster eluded to above). I agree. You can't go wrong using that approach. However, don't underestimate the POWER of your tie. Don't be afraid to buy a really nice RED or GOLD tie. Show your confidence WITH confidence! This would especially look good with a nice light blue shirt. If you feel like you're trying to be like someone you're not then don't sweat it. Buy something more subtle that you're more comfortable with. Again, discount/outlet stores all the way for ties. Brookes Brothers, though, does have a very wide selection of ties. So there, I'm not all against American designers!

4) Shoes- 2 rules. #1) Don't wear the same cluncky shoes you wear with your denim. #2) Make sure they're clean and shiny. If you want a new pair, Aldo has some decent dress shoes for ~$80-$130. Of course there are some Italian designers but neither you nor I can probably afford them right now!

Remember, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. Flip through some fashion magazines when you get a chance or look around when you're at the mall next time. You'll see many of the concepts I talked about.

Guys, one more thing. Here's some Fashion 101 rules that I commonly see broken by the general public:

1) Blazer rules- When wearing a 3-button blazer NEVER button the top button. Only the MIDDLE button should be buttoned. Never the top and NEVER EVER the bottom one!!! You want to look comfortable and smooth in your suit (think of James Bond), like you wear a suit everyday, even on Sundays.

2) Pants rules - unless you have a huge belly try to buy flat front dress pants. Luckily most suits these days come with flat front pants. Even better is LOW-RISE flat-front pants. The crotch doesn't ride low so it gives your legs a longer and leaner look. Trust me when I tell you this, there is NOTHING worse than a sagging crotch! It looks like you took a dump in your pants.

When wearing pants, get the length tailored. No it's not okay if it's a few inches long. IT'S NEVER OK. You look like a dweeb (sp?) when your dress pants are all curled up and scraping under the heel of your shoes!

3) Shirt rules - never, EVER wear a short-sleeve dress shirt with a tie. You look like a child molester. Nuff said.

4) Tie rules - wear the appropiate collar with the appropriate tie knot. What do I mean? If you want to tie a full windsor you are 100% obligated to have a SPREAD collar shirt. Full windsor on a "regular" collar will cause your collar to stick out and forward b/c their isn't enough room for the big *** knot under a "regular" collar.

I've seen this mistake a few times. It's a futile attempt at being stylish at best. Not good! Similarily, wearing a spread collar shirt with a "regular" knot is not the preferred approach in fashion. Your knot will look even smaller b/c you have so much "space" b/c of the spread nature of your collar. Moral of the story: regular knot with regular collar. Full windsor with spread collar.

5) Socks rules - match your socks with your PANTS. Not your shoes. (I won't lie, I've broken this rule a few times. I have a pair of light grey dress pants. For the life of me I can't find nice light grey socks to match my pants. So I wear black socks with black dress shoes. Hope no one noticed! haha).

That's it for now guys. I'm sick of typing.

3) Shirt rules - never, EVER wear a short-sleeve dress shirt with a tie. You look like a child molester. Nuff said.

Truer words have never been uttered.

Marc%20Jacobs%20short-sleeve%20shirt.jpg

The defense rests.

amazon shows a lot of clean fitting suits. Those are the looks I'd go for.

31Xbt6UrarL._SS500_.jpg

31yhWXJcDxL._SS500_.jpg

31aeA80Li0L._AA280_.jpg

Last edited:
Or did you think I was too stupid to know what a eugoogooly was?

zoolander6.jpg

Oh and if you guys want to buy some badass dress shirts I'd HIGHLY recommend a British designer named Charles Tyrwhitt (esp if Thomas Pink is a bit pricey for you):

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/

His shirts are nothing short of amazing! The designs and attention to detail will add so much more to your outfit. And the customer service is Neiman Marcus level if not better.

I've ordered several already (including a spread collar white shirt with my initials monogrammed on the cuff. I get lots of "oh wows" with that shirt). Take my word, you will NOT be disappointed nor will you ever find a nicer shirt for ~$30 (current sale price).

His clearance sale is almost over so if you're going to make a move, DO IT NOW. Keep in mind that it takes around 2-3 weeks (longer with monogramming) to receive your order in the mail b/c comes from the U.K.

Guys, keep this btw me and you (and SDN) please..:laugh:

it's hard to find shirts that fit your torso exactly.

usually they're puffy and scrunched up at the armpits & arms:
hn214Olv-large.gif

i want that plastered look:
7245.jpg

am i supposed to look for "slim cut"?
i seem to never find these at dept stores

You will find slimmer cuts at stores that sell more European designers but also bear in mind that what you see a model wearing is not necessarily the way the item is shipped to stores. It may be tailored, or just pinned to accentuate the positive. This is VERY common with women's clothes...they never look the same in the stores off the mannequins or off the runway (and I'm not talking about because its on me).

As Clinton and Stacey on "What Not to Wear" suggest, all clothes need to be tailored, so I'm sure you could get this look (provided you look like the 2nd model and not the first).

WTH is that chubby guy who's blushing wearing a pocket square in his SHIRT pocket? (shakes his head in disbelief)

Ha Ha...I missed the pocket square.

You see, men in America have come to see the suit jacket as optional. Much as they have decided that undershirts aren't required (I noticed you didn't mention this one, but its really a must under dress shirts. Especially if you are dark and hairy and especially if you will be sweating, say on an interview. And PLEASE get a white one, and not one with some Senor Frog's logo on it. :rolleyes:).

Ha Ha...I missed the pocket square.

You see, men in America have come to see the suit jacket as optional. Much as they have decided that undershirts aren't required (I noticed you didn't mention this one, but its really a must under dress shirts. Especially if you are dark and hairy and especially if you will be sweating, say on an interview. And PLEASE get a white one, and not one with some Senor Frog's logo on it. :rolleyes:).

Oh snap! Yes, undershirts are KEY. I wear them all the time. They help with sweat, excessive chest hair and from preventing your areolas from showing (mostly with white shirts). Trust me, nobody wants to see your manipples.

Hanes makes a line of really nice undershirts called -- Hanes Premium. They cost a few dollars more than the regular Hanes undershirts but the "V" in the v-neck undershirts is really low. Why is this helpful? If you're wearing an undershirt and you leave the top 2 buttons of your shirt open (not on interview day, obviously), you don't want your undershirt to show! Esp if you're wearing it with a nice blazer to dress it up. If no blazer, then not as big of a deal.

WS, I'm impressed with your men's fashion knowledge base!

Well, I clearly don't know as much as you, but you know that men's clothes are often purchased for them by the women in their life.

I actually got my ex into it when we started shopping for suits for fellowship and then, job interviews. I directed him to Paul Smith, which I fancied as fun, but not too outre and he started really enjoying finer clothes. Ermenegildo Zegna has some nice stuff, but it just didn't fit him as well (too Italian slim cut) as the English designers did.

I sure hope his current GF appreciates all my hard work on that front!:p

I wore a (nice) brown sport coat and slacks to all my interviews and received universally positive feedback from interviewers. While the charcoal or navy would be a less drastic way to avoid black, it can be done if done well. My point is that they definitely do notice that everyone wears black and you really do stand out (in a positive way IMHO) if you don't.

Well, I clearly don't know as much as you, but you know that men's clothes are often purchased for them by the women in their life.

I actually got my ex into it when we started shopping for suits for fellowship and then, job interviews. I directed him to Paul Smith, which I fancied as fun, but not too outre and he started really enjoying finer clothes. Ermenegildo Zegna has some nice stuff, but it just didn't fit him as well (too Italian slim cut) as the English designers did.

I sure hope his current GF appreciates all my hard work on that front!:p

Very true!

Zegna suits are very nice but you're right, you have to be tall and lean to look good in one of those.

If your shoulder are really broad and you have a big upper body (working out, fat, natural, etc) I'd actually recommend double-breasted suits. That's right, DOUBLE-breasted. Not the ones from the 80's where the top button went only as high as your naval. Man, those looked TERRIBLE come to think of it but time appropriate I guess. Anyways, I'm talking about the newer, higher cut Italian double-breast. Here's a good example:

here

Here's a cut and paste reply I wrote in another thread about men's fashion...

Fashion is one of my biggest hobbies (no, I'm not gay) so I'll chime in. THIS MAYBE A BIT LONG SO BARE WITH ME:

I generally prefer European designers over American ones b/c the former tend to make clothes that actually FIT people and usually very well. Believe it or not, most Americans wear their clothes TOO BIG. The philosophy here is "comfort" vs actually looking good. Which is fine if that's what floats your boat.

If you want to look good and not like you bought an $89 suit from Target then listen up:

1) Try your BEST not to wear a solid black suit. If you do, that's totally fine as most other interviewees will be wearing their funeral suits as well. It's the path of least resistance for some reason. However, I'd recommend you go for charcoal grey suit instead (as someone else pointed out earlier). If you get stripes just make sure they're subtle stripes and not bling bling mafioso stripes!

When looking for suits, look at the back of the blazer and see what kind of vent it has. Most American suits make their suit blazers with what I call "The Butt Crack Vent" (aka single-vent). Those are fine but the European DOUBLE VENTS (one on each side of the blazer) looks 1000x better and is more functional. How you ask? B/c when you put your hands in your pockets the single (or even worse, no vent) blazer bunches up and looks very very akward.

It will be close to IMPOSSIBLE for you to find a double-vented suit at places like Brookes Brothers (American designer) and Men's Warehouse. I mean no insult to the poster that works there but most European designers blow the socks off American suit designers. If money is tight (which I expect since we're all students) I recommend you try out discount/outlet stores. Check out Nordstorm Rack, Off Saks, Filenes Basement, etc. You will often find an $800 European suit on sale for $200.

2) White shirt is fine, especially b/c interviews are during the day (stay away from wearing white shirts at evening events, unless you're wearing a tux!). A nice blue shirt is actually what I'd recommend. It would look GREAT with a nice yellow/gold, red, or even pink tie (it has to be the right shade of pink...subtle yet powerful).

Unless you're overweight (these shirts look best on slender people), I'd recommend you try to buy a shirt with a SPREAD COLLAR. Again, most European designers make nothing but spread collar shirts. What's the difference you ask? It allows more room to tie a full windsor knot with your tie giving you a more confident look! If you don't know how tie a full windsor knot, google it. There are TONS of websites that show you how. It's a piece of cake actually.

However, if money is not object (you lucky bastard), then go to your nearest Thomas Pink store and buy a nice white or light blue shirt for ~$150-$200. If you're trying to keep your cost down, again, check out the discount/outlet stores for nice spread collar shirts. Often you can get a $200 shirt for ~$40-$60. If they're FRENCH CUFF, even better. Just keep the cuff-links subtle to avoid looking like a baller on med school interviews. Just make sure the collars FITS you. Nothing looks worse than someone who looks like they're wearing their dad's dress shirt. Size 15.5 neck but they're wearing a 17.5!

3) The most simple rule when it comes to ties is to try to match your tie with your shirt and/or suit (as one of the poster eluded to above). I agree. You can't go wrong using that approach. However, don't underestimate the POWER of your tie. Don't be afraid to buy a really nice RED or GOLD tie. Show your confidence WITH confidence! This would especially look good with a nice light blue shirt. If you feel like you're trying to be like someone you're not then don't sweat it. Buy something more subtle that you're more comfortable with. Again, discount/outlet stores all the way for ties. Brookes Brothers, though, does have a very wide selection of ties. So there, I'm not all against American designers!

4) Shoes- 2 rules. #1) Don't wear the same cluncky shoes you wear with your denim. #2) Make sure they're clean and shiny. If you want a new pair, Aldo has some decent dress shoes for ~$80-$130. Of course there are some Italian designers but neither you nor I can probably afford them right now!

Remember, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. Flip through some fashion magazines when you get a chance or look around when you're at the mall next time. You'll see many of the concepts I talked about.

DOCTORSAIB...I'm not saying you're gay, but you should definitely try to get your own show on Bravo...:cool:

DOCTORSAIB...I'm not saying you're gay, but you should definitely try to get your own show on Bravo...:cool:

Yeah, how about "Straight Eye for the Straight Guy." :laugh:

Although it probably wouldn't catch on as much since most fashionable straight guys are just not flamboyant enough (I certainly am not).

Myth #1 - All gay men dress well. This is DEFINITELY not true. I've seen some "light in the loafers" guys on the streets/mall who are dressed like cartoon characters -- walking fashion faux pas. What's worse is that they THINK they're stylish.

Want to know what a bad combination of qualities is when it comes to fashion? False sense of confidence with a bad sense of style = very resistant to change. Bad bad combo man. I find these people fairly annoying actually.

If you're clueless you're much more open to ideas which is what most guys are like. Hence, why our gf's end up choosing our outfits and we put them on with little resistance!

A couple of questions. Should I wear glasses or contacts (I've heard glasses make me look older, and for me this is probably a good thing)? And is the black Timex Ironman watch I wear everywhere ok, or is it better to wear no watch at all? I don't have a fancy watch.

A couple of questions. Should I wear glasses or contacts (I've heard glasses make me look older, and for me this is probably a good thing)? And is the black Timex Ironman watch I wear everywhere ok, or is it better to wear no watch at all? I don't have a fancy watch.

Since we're talking about residency interviews, I'd say it doesn't really matter. Remember the people interviewing you -- dorky PDs, dorky faculty or slightly less dorky residents (with some cool ones in the mix). They're not going to be paying that much attention to detail.

However, if you're looking for a nice looking watch without dropping a fortune, I really like Kenneth Cole watches (the silver ones). They cost around $100-$120+ but look a lot more expensive.

If you want something a bit more flashy, Fossil has a line of those over-sized watches that I discovered a few months ago (kinda like the ones rap stars have but minus all the bling-bling diamonds, etc). I bought one recently -- round faced silver with black background. Very stylish and appropriately flashy for our profession.

There's a newer one out -- round faced silver with SILVER background. Around $120. It's so freakin nice. So worth it for the price. Check it out next time you hit the mall.

it's hard to find shirts that fit your torso exactly.

am i supposed to look for "slim cut"?
i seem to never find these at dept stores

That's because dept stores cater to the average, overweight slob American.

Brooks Brothers has some pretty nice slim-cut, non-iron shirts for something like $80. I very much regret having a closet full of crappy $30-40 shirts bought at Macy's and Express and the like when I coulda had a handful of quality shirts from BB.

While we're on the topic of interviews...what is the general consensus regarding facial hair? Is it ok to have a little hair on the chin or is the clean shaven look pretty much necessary?

False sense of confidence with a bad sense of style = very resistant to change.

Put this in a medical context rather than a fashion one, and you've defined a problem resident. Perhaps I should pay more attention to fashion on interview day...

Remember the people interviewing you -- dorky PDs, dorky faculty or slightly less dorky residents

Now wait a second there... well, OK, I'm pretty dorky and have the fashion sense of a rock. But, I did score 41% on the Geek Test.

Now I'm curious as to what latest fashions the candidates will be modeling this season.

Yeah, we academic types are usually fashion inept. But we have jobs already.:D

Put this in a medical context rather than a fashion one, and you've defined a problem resident. Perhaps I should pay more attention to fashion on interview day...

Now wait a second there... well, OK, I'm pretty dorky and have the fashion sense of a rock. But, I did score 41% on the Geek Test.

40.43393%

I rest my case...:laugh:

aPD, I'm willing to bet that most well-dressed men are very detailed oriented in life. So if that's a quality you're looking for in a resident, fashion sense may not be a bad barometer!

2.16963% - Poser

damn. I thought i looked the part too.
I guess i'm not good enough for residency

just wanted to let everyone know that Joseph A Banks and Mens Wearhouse have sales that are pretty good, they are clearing out their summer suits for their fall suits, whatever that means.

I just picked up a traditional black suit for ~$200. not a bad deal if you ask me.

2.16963% - Poser

damn. I thought i looked the part too.
I guess i'm not good enough for residency

I'm a poser as well, so you have company. 4%.

There are two anesthesiology attendings at my school that I would *LOVE* to see the results for on this Geek Test. If there was a way to go over 100%, they might be able to do it.

dc

Hey guys! I was really curious if you menfolk actually needed a "support group" for this topic, or what on earth this thread was.

Seeing as I am married and have been known to tell my husband he has to go back and change something about his outfit or I'm not leaving the house with him, I guess it come naturally for me to give obnoxious clothing advice to men, so I thought I'd add in my 2-cents worth.

Actually, I'm just going to repeat advice my old boss gave me back when I was shopping for a med school interview suit. (She was super knowledgeable about fashion - she'd even been to a consultant to "have her colors done" and stuff like that...)

(Oh - but before I begin: a disclaimer: I think as long as you are clean, and neat, and professional-looking, it does not really matter so if you already have your interview suit don't go out & buy a different one just based on my advice!)

ANYWAY, according to fashion guru ex-boss, BLACK is OUT because it is too harsh/too stark/too "POWERFUL". You can actually come off intimidating your interviewer (on a subconscious level, of course), and then they are not going to like you, although they might not know why... BROWN/TAN are considered NOT POWERFUL ENOUGH (ie - spineless pushover). That bascially leaves grey and navy blue. If your suit has some very subtle stripes or a subtle texture as part of the weave, that is fine.

In my case I originally bought a dark charcoal grey suit & a slightly lighter suit. The charcoal grey one just looked best on my with my coloring so I took the lighter one back. The charcoal one was so close to black that my boss thought that she might have advised against in for *some people* but seeing as the lighter one made me look like a pale, washed-out corpse, she thought it was the better choice in my case.

As far as your suit trousers: NO PLEATS PLEASE, FLAT FRONT ONLY. (Unless you REALLY ARE cursed with such a figure that only pleats will do. And personally I can't think of even 1 guy at *my* med school who have a figure like that...) (The overall effect of front pleats has already been discussed here in an earlier post.)

I saw someone mention red for a tie. I also remember my boss saying red was bad. Again, it is too powerful & may intimidate the interview. Having said that, I really like red personally. (At least it has a little personality!) So if you're set on a red tie maybe have some females in your life give you their opinion on it. I am thinking a maroon/burgundy color would be a safer alternative that would allow you to dress in the "red" color family but not be so intimidating. Or maybe a patterned tie that only subtly incorporates red. WHATEVER you do don't wear anything that is that horrible orangey-red color.

(And despite the fact all of these strong colors are considered taboo - I wore a magenta blouse for my med school interviews. Again, I have such a tendency to look pale & sickly, I had to do SOMETHING to inject a little "life" into my appearance.) Of course, I don't think magenta would work for you gentlemen so well. (Except maybe that ONE GUY pictured above who seems to be able to pull it off...) :laugh:

Finally (more advice from the fashion guru boss) there are all of these wierd psychological rules about colors that I don't really remember now, but they are probably out there on the web somewhere if you want to look into them. (These would be rules for your "accent items" like your shirt or tie, NOT for your overall suit color.) But I think there is some rule like wearing your eye color makes you seem honest, sincere, genuine, and believable to people. There is some other color that is supposed to make you seem vibrant & energetic, but I kind of forget what it is. (The complimentary color to the colors underlying your skin tone, or something like that...) So, depending on whether you want to come across as "sincere" or "vibrant" you might be able to pick colors that help support that. (Again - these will be unconscious associations on the part of the interviewer - they're not going to say "gee, he's wearing his eye color, he must be trustworthy".)

Oh yes, and finally for the person who asked about navy blue jacket with tan pants, NO, NO, NO. Your suit pieces for your interview should be all one color. I *have* seen this color combo done well *on occasion* & it *might* be ok for one of the more informal settings you've been discussing (like night before the interview). But too often I notice people wearing this color combo because they just DON'T GO together, AT ALL. (There are still a variety of color shades that fall under the blanet terms of "navy" and "tan".) (Plus, often the tan pants are too light, and often they have front pleats & are all baggy looking.) EEWW...)

Ah yes, and whoever asked - black shoes & belt for black/charcoal suit. Brown shoes & belt for brown/tan suit...