The Suit Thread (for women)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hello all
great thread! where can i get (cute) wrinkle free dress shirts? they seem to be quite plentiful for the men, but i haven't been able to find them for women. any success?

Brooks Brothers sells no-iron wrinkle free dress shirts in classic fit and fitted stretch, although I personally do not have one yet...I have been meaning to go to the store to check them out. My brother swears by their no-iron shirts for men!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Ladies,

I interviewed last year (IM) and I wore a dark green suit. I saw plenty of females interviewing with different colored suits. Color is a good thing. Still be semi-conservative, but whatever you wear, make sure it's comfortable and that includes the shoes (my shoes were not the most comfortable and by the end of interview season I was cursing them).

Also, I carried a small shoulder purse (black) to put my keys, ID, etc in. A lot of other people also had purses, so it's really not that big of an issue. I had a leather covered notebook and most places will give you folders (I even got a tote bag at one place.

I interviewed on both coasts, and the dress and accessories were similar on both sides.

Hope this helps, and BEST OF LUCK! :D If you have other questions, feel free to PM me!

Thanks SJ - by the way - great signature quote!

Lands End also has wrinkle free/no iron dress shirts. They are made from the same material as the ones my husband has - which are awesome! He can wear the sleeves up all day and they won't be wrinkly at dinner that night.

Brooks Brothers sells no-iron wrinkle free dress shirts in classic fit and fitted stretch, although I personally do not have one yet...I have been meaning to go to the store to check them out. My brother swears by their no-iron shirts for men!

I have one of the Brooks Brothers' women's no-iron fitted dress shirts and I love it. The shape is feminine and flattering, with darts so it's not so boxy or too big at the waist. It really is wrinkle-free straight out of the dryer and it stays that way all day. I think the sizes run big, though. I also have two of their no-iron classic fit dress shirts (bought them on sale) and I don't like those as much, the fit is much looser and I look like I'm swimming in them. I'd think about buying the smaller size if you're between sizes if you're getting the fitted cut and at least 1 or maybe 2 sizes down from your usual size if you're getting the classic cut.

Also I can't believe the only option to wear with a suit is a white button-down...surely a blue, pink, lavender or pale yellow button-down with the top two buttons undone would be appropriate as well? Or even a nice silk or cashmere shell or short-sleeve sweater with a conservative neckline? I think as long as the suit is conservative you can probably get away with a little bit of color or pattern in what you wear under it. Agree?

I have one of the Brooks Brothers' women's no-iron fitted dress shirts and I love it. The shape is feminine and flattering, with darts so it's not so boxy or too big at the waist. It really is wrinkle-free straight out of the dryer and it stays that way all day. I think the sizes run big, though. I also have two of their no-iron classic fit dress shirts (bought them on sale) and I don't like those as much, the fit is much looser and I look like I'm swimming in them. I'd think about buying the smaller size if you're between sizes if you're getting the fitted cut and at least 1 or maybe 2 sizes down from your usual size if you're getting the classic cut.

Also I can't believe the only option to wear with a suit is a white button-down...surely a blue, pink, lavender or pale yellow button-down with the top two buttons undone would be appropriate as well? Or even a nice silk or cashmere shell or short-sleeve sweater with a conservative neckline? I think as long as the suit is conservative you can probably get away with a little bit of color or pattern in what you wear under it. Agree?

I have two wrinkle-resistant shirts from Eddie Bauer and they ROCK! FYI if they do get wrinkled in your bag, turn on the hot shower, close the bathroom door and in minutes it looks as though they came off the ironing board.

Definately agree. I'm not wearing a button down - I really dislike the way they feel/look. I'm going to go with a shell/camisole for my more southern interviews, and look for a blouse to go for my colder climate ones. No buttons for me - I had a shell that buttoned in the back during my med school interviews that would come unbuttoned at the drop of a hat - needless to say, while I was getting frisked before getting on the airplane, people got an eyeful!!!!:eek:

just wondering...do ppl change into something more casual for the dinner after the interview? What would be the appropriate attire for that?

just wondering...do ppl change into something more casual for the dinner after the interview? What would be the appropriate attire for that?

i wore khakis and a sweater. something nice you would usually go out to dinner in.

Anyone else find that your hair color doesn't match some suits? My hair is the exact color of most chocolate brown suits, and the red tones are brought out by black suits, which wouldn't be so bad except that my hair is curly and the frizz is much more prominent when the red tones are highlighted by my outfit. I'm pale, so gray and beige wash me out big-time, and once again, the hair stands out and becomes an issue.

If you know any good sites with directions on simple, professional up-does or ways to wear the hair or calm the frizz, please post!! On rotations, I mostly went for the bun, which doesn't flatter my face and makes me look like I'm twelve, but at least it was neat and easy. I'm wearing my black suit, so hair is the big issue with me right now. Anyone else conquer their wild hair?

i'm looking for low rise pants/skirt... i'm so used to wearing everything low rise these days, the last thing i want is to be uncomfortable becuase the bottoms are riding up - it drives me nuts!

i liked the pants at the limited, but they were super itchy:(

any good tips on where to find non-itchy, petite size, low rise skirts/pants? (no, i'm not picky :p )

i'm looking for low rise pants/skirt... i'm so used to wearing everything low rise these days, the last thing i want is to be uncomfortable becuase the bottoms are riding up - it drives me nuts!

i liked the pants at the limited, but they were super itchy:(

any good tips on where to find non-itchy, petite size, low rise skirts/pants? (no, i'm not picky :p )

Ann Taylor!! I also need petite size, prefer a more modern style (ie. lower rise), and hate polyester suits. I found what I was looking for at AT. I think the ones there are a little better quality than Limited and might not be so itchy.

Anyone else conquer their wild hair?

I wish I had curls to conquer...sigh.....

But my curly headed friends tell me Kiehl's makes a great de-frizzing product.

What if you went short to tame it? I love the look of short curly hair. Very striking. And just think how easy your life will be in residency with low maintenance hair.

I wish I had curls to conquer...sigh.....

But my curly headed friends tell me Kiehl's makes a great de-frizzing product.

What if you went short to tame it? I love the look of short curly hair. Very striking. And just think how easy your life will be in residency with low maintenance hair.

I'll try that product, thanks for the suggestion. As for hair length, I already have short hair (just about shoulder length). Unfortunately, I dont' think I'll ever have "wash-and-wear" hair, but if Kiehl's works then my complaining is done :)

To the poster who wants low-rise pants/skirt: I dont' know about petite, but my suit has low-rise pants that sit on my hips. You can't tell with the coat on (ie, it doesn't look like I'm trying to be trendy with the cut of my pants or anything), and they are so comfortable. I bought my suit at Von Maur, this weird shiny store in the mall by my dad's house. The brand is called "Garfield Marks" or something like that. I bought it two years ago. It was too expensive, but I'll wear it nine times before next year so I think its worth it. I had it tailored after I bought it, I think it cost $20 or so.

Okay, I got my second suit... it's plum!!!! I love the color, it looks good with my dark, crazy curly hair. The jacket is a 4 button shorter style with a bit of a curve to the coat, so it looks feminine and really cute! It's a long skirt, that hits about 3 inches above my ankle. And my black shoes and bag for the suit #1 will go, so I don't have to double up on all the accessories!
I really wanted the chocolate brown/blue combo, but couldn't find a chocolate brown suit that didn't look frumpy or have shiny silver buttons which I really thought tacky!

Finally bought some shoes that can go with a skirt or pants. They're these super cute mary jane's in black calf leather with a bit of a heel. I feel like such a lady in them! It's definitely a change from my usual Dansko's.

Are most of you planning to wear a pantsuit or a skirt? I prefer pants since they're more comfortable (plus winter is coming...) but don't want to be the only female that's not wearing a skirt!

Are most of you planning to wear a pantsuit or a skirt? I prefer pants since they're more comfortable (plus winter is coming...) but don't want to be the only female that's not wearing a skirt!

Skirt for me. The whole suit look is de-feminizing enough--I don't want to look like one of the guys...

But, there are some elegant and ladylike pant suits out there too. Just depends on what you find I guess.

Being comfortable is important, I think. You certainly don't want to be sitting there thinking about your skirt while they are asking you questions.

pants for me. all my interviews are in nov/dec. plus i'm more comfortable in pants. i'm pretty sure either way is fine

i like looking at this thread, so i thought i'd try in my thoughts now that i have my first interview invite!

i bought a real nice ann klein suit at tj maxx last year... down from $250 to $60... and it was the only suit in the whole store that was my size (it's hard to find nice suits when you're petite, from my experience). black pants suit, real faint pink pinstripes, looks great with a medium pink shirt under it... i know black and pink is so "trendy" or whatever, but i always feel best in pink. also found real comfy and nice black shoes at... payless - only $15.

for med school interviews, my suit was from a "juniors" section at a department store - looked great and only cost $35. and i got in wherever i interviewed. just goes to show you don't have to spend a ton of money to get what you want.

i was thinking about going to ann taylor or the other awesome outlets by me... i really want a chocolate brown suit that would look great with pink underneath. but if i get that, then i guess you need brown shoes, brown purse, etc. which means, more money....

i know isersons thinks "solid" suits... but if the pinstripes are light and work as an accent, that would work, right?

this is great... it's tough figuring out all this stuff. good luck to everyone on interviews!!!

i know isersons thinks "solid" suits... but if the pinstripes are light and work as an accent, that would work, right?
tasteful, thin pinstripes should be fine. Last year, I had one black skirt suit and two blouses (lt blue and cream) that went with it. You really only need one suit.

thanks for the great rec! i looked online and saw brooks brothers has an outlet (kind of) near me. will go test drive for myself.

i agree that button downs are not necessary, but i am looking to offset the "modern" (read: a little tight) cut of my suit pants. i also look like i could be 17 years old.

Don't feel like you need to wear the ultra-conservative dark suit--- and don't believe a word on the clothing section of iserson's book--purses are common on the interview trail and a leather portfolio is not needed. I wore a dark navy skirt suit alternating with a dark brown pants suit for interviews last year--prelim medicine/tx and ophtho. A few of my interviewers asked where we all learned to dress alike :-<. I hated both suits by the end of 20+ interviews--- so find something that is flattering (pretty people do better in this world) and has some personal style. Really interviews are about sitting with someone for 30 minutes and having a casual conversation about yourself so comfort is key. Good luck.

This is a great thread..really helpful! :) a lot of people have mentioned comfortable shoes and no heels and that makes perfect sense..what im wondering is that i have some nice black shoes with reasonable heels but im not sure how comfortable they will be for a whole day of walking..has anyone used those in-soles like dr. scholls, etc which are supposed to make shoes more comfortable? Could i make do with those or should i spend some money on new shoes too??

ok. time to vent.

i went shopping today - i found NOTHING. argh!!

it's like they dont have my size anywhere! and then they'll have my size in the jacket but not the skirt or vice versa! this is so frustrating!!!
and talk about limited selection - black black black black!!!

and what's with these one button jackets?! i dont want one button!!!

tomorrow i'm going to the even bigger mall in hopes of finding something! if i cant find something there, then it's clearly hopeless.

at least i found some shoes. totally not comfortable, but boy do they look good.

all i want is a cute charcol grey suit, is that so much to ask?!

sigh...

You might try some department stores too. I was walking through JC Penny's to get to the mall and swung by the area with the suits. That's where I found my second suit. They had some really cute/trendy cuts on suits (some were really bad though, so spend a few minutes and walk around to wade through the ugly, matronly stuff). There was a really cute gray skirt suit there. Department stores tend to have a wider variety of sizes than places like JCrew. Plus they're having a 70% off sale this week!

Well, I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant so don't have that many suit options. :( I found one grey suit at Motherhood maternity, so I'm wearing grey. I still need to find a shirt for underneath. I didn't even think of a bag, so I'm glad I read this thread!:)

silly, but i have not used a suit in years... if the undershirt has a collar, should it be tucked in the jacket or out of the jacket?
many thanks!

i was thinking charcoal gray or pinstripes, but shopping for a suit took me directly to ann taylor and overspending on a brown and offwhite tweed suit. my concern is that it shouts "hi, it's cold and i'm oh so comfortable" instead of that polished professional look we're all aiming for. so what's the consensus? is tweed stylin' or should i start looking for an alternative?

what a great thread!

so i found 3 suits yesterday at ZARA (1 charcoal grey , 1 dark brown, and 1 black and white combo pattern--it's more professional-looking than it sounds!). I wasn't even expecting to find anything since I've usually thought of them as more of a trendy place but what a great surprise! Unfortunately the store is only in a few cities in the US (it's a spanish transplant) but they have a great line of suits at around $80 less than Ann Taylor prices. They feel great on and have really flattering cuts. so check them out if you haven't already!

ok. time to vent.

i went shopping today - i found NOTHING. argh!!

it's like they dont have my size anywhere! and then they'll have my size in the jacket but not the skirt or vice versa! this is so frustrating!!!
and talk about limited selection - black black black black!!!

and what's with these one button jackets?! i dont want one button!!!

tomorrow i'm going to the even bigger mall in hopes of finding something! if i cant find something there, then it's clearly hopeless.

at least i found some shoes. totally not comfortable, but boy do they look good.

all i want is a cute charcol grey suit, is that so much to ask?!

sigh...

Both Banana Republic and J. Crew have gray suits and if they don't have your size in the store the store will order it for you, or you could just go online and order it yourself (but you would have to pay shipping which the store would not charge you). Plus both carry a wide variety of sizes from petite to tall. They are not cheap suits, but they are good quality, will withstand the 10+ interviews many of us will be going on.

i was thinking charcoal gray or pinstripes, but shopping for a suit took me directly to ann taylor and overspending on a brown and offwhite tweed suit. my concern is that it shouts "hi, it's cold and i'm oh so comfortable" instead of that polished professional look we're all aiming for. so what's the consensus? is tweed stylin' or should i start looking for an alternative?

My suit is also tweed (black, gray, beige) and I love it. I think it will help set me apart from the crowd, and it is quite light weight for tweed so it's not hot or uncomfortable.

i already bought my suit..but i went to anne klein today and saw they had some really nice ones in case anyone is still looking!

I've gotta give credit to Bennetton which never ceases to fail me. I looked endlessly for a non-black suit, but none fit right. I tried Ann Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Tahari, Banana Republic, Macys, Brooks Brothers, Limited etc, etc, etc (we don't have H&M or Zara although I wish we did) but nothing fit well except Bennetton. And although I wanted something that wasn't black, I ended up with black because they didn't have the skirt size I needed for the pinstripe. Bennetton is great if you have a smaller frame though. There stuff is just narrower in the shoulders and shorter in the sleeves. I don't even have to get this skirt hemmed.

I'm not wearing a blouse. They're uncomfortable and even the supposed non-wrinkle variety still doesn't look good once it's been stuffed in a suitcase for a while. I'm wearing a light purple shell with amethyst earrings and a purplish necklace. My purse that I use everyday is already purplish. Shoes will be classic, shiny leather black high heels.

silly, but i have not used a suit in years... if the undershirt has a collar, should it be tucked in the jacket or out of the jacket?
many thanks!

i wore mine inside, but try it both ways and see what looks best.

ok, i am relieved now.
i just gave in and bought a suit from ann taylor. they didnt have my size, so hopefully it will be shipped to my house soon!

i went to benneton and i really liked what they had - great fabrics!! but the skirt was kinda too form fitting. i felt kinda hoochie. i wish they had something a little less hugging because the prices there are great and i really think that the fabrics they use are fabulous.

so now i can relax. i think that this suit will be good. it's grey with pinstripes. but not too dark charcol grey, but just dark grey. i hope it looks good when i finally get it!!

i too am not wearing a collared shirt; i'm going to wear a shell instead. i think it will be much more comfortable. and i have black pointy toe pumps. i figure that unless i wear fuzzy slippers, my feet are going to hurt, so they can at least look pretty while they hurt :p

and my bag is in the mail too!

now i just need some more interviews;)

I've gotta give credit to Bennetton which never ceases to fail me. I looked endlessly for a non-black suit, but none fit right. I tried Ann Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Tahari, Banana Republic, Macys, Brooks Brothers, Limited etc, etc, etc (we don't have H&M or Zara although I wish we did) but nothing fit well except Bennetton. And although I wanted something that wasn't black, I ended up with black because they didn't have the skirt size I needed for the pinstripe. Bennetton is great if you have a smaller frame though. There stuff is just narrower in the shoulders and shorter in the sleeves. I don't even have to get this skirt hemmed.

I'm not wearing a blouse. They're uncomfortable and even the supposed non-wrinkle variety still doesn't look good once it's been stuffed in a suitcase for a while. I'm wearing a light purple shell with amethyst earrings and a purplish necklace. My purse that I use everyday is already purplish. Shoes will be classic, shiny leather black high heels.

I found a really cute tahari suit at marshall's for $80, regularly $280. It is black, but the jacket is tailored and the skirt has pleats at the bottom for a little flair. I was open to the nonblack suit, but I have yet to see one that doesn't look cheap/cheesy. Macy's also has a bunch of suits (calvin klein, tahari, etc.) on clearance right now for those of you still looking. I'm still searching for the perfect bag...

I also bought a black and white tweed from macy's on sale for $100. My problem now is what kind of shirt should I wear under it? Should I go with a black or white shirt, or maybe try to put some color in?

i think it will be much more comfortable. and i have black pointy toe pumps. i figure that unless i wear fuzzy slippers, my feet are going to hurt, so they can at least look pretty while they hurt

That's exactly how I feel about it too. I just went on my first interview last week and this other interviewee was wearing some unattractive chunky loafers. I felt pretty happy in my black pointy toed shoes. Surely you can stand a few days of mild pain for the sake of looking really polished and put together. [Besides, these are the shoes everyone wears out at bars and clubs! You've had practice :) ]

See - maybe that's my problem. I don't have any of those pointy toed shoes because they are uncomfortable, and my two kids don't really like the bar scene (JK) so I really am spoiled with my comfy, ugly shoes. This is going to be hard! I also can't balance in a heel more than 2 inches for any length of time unless it's a wedge... I don't want to be the applicant that breaks an ankle that gets talked about every year!

That's exactly how I feel about it too. I just went on my first interview last week and this other interviewee was wearing some unattractive chunky loafers. I felt pretty happy in my black pointy toed shoes. Surely you can stand a few days of mild pain for the sake of looking really polished and put together. [Besides, these are the shoes everyone wears out at bars and clubs! You've had practice :) ]

But there are super cute low-heel or wedge shoes!

See here, and here, and here.

I'm not, uh, obsessed with shoes or anything.

I love this thread...it's like we're planning our wedding attire...! ;)

But actually, that's not too far off. Finding the right residency fit is kind of like finding a husband...and the stakes are nearly as high. Might as well look fabulous--it certainly can't hurt!

For skirts, do they have to be straight? Or can you wear the newer more flared skirts? They look more casual but are super cute.

For skirts, do they have to be straight? Or can you wear the newer more flared skirts? They look more casual but are super cute.

I don't know. I think a flared skirt doesn't really send the "I can't wait to be a medical professional that takes care of patients" image. They look kind of young. Although I agree they're cute, just not for residency interviews.

On another note--there is no reason to wear ugly clunky shoes just because you want to be comfortable. I will be suffering in quite high heels because I just look better in heels, but honestly, there are so many nice looking flats and wedges these days.

Just got my J Crew wool crepe suit in the mail and love it. Pants have a nice wide leg and the jacket is fairly fitted. It's been sitting in the box for 2 days since I got it (that plus whatever time it spent on route) and no wrinkles. Total price about $330 + tax. Shipping is free if you order it at the store (it is shipped to your address).

i'm waring a black pant suit (jcrew-i found the quality to be fairly good, esp if you're gonna drop that much cash). black because it is most flattering to the figure as well as my complexion. pants because it's going to be cold and i don't want to deal with pantyhose.

i am having my suit tailored to fit perfectly because i think that tailoring is the essence of looking polished. in fact, it doesn't matter what color or fabric if your suit does not fit/flatter your figure.

i'm wearing an ivory camisole with a concervative neck line because i absolutely deplore collared dress shirts...unless they're really fitted i think they can look masculine. i figure a camisole is an opportunity to remind them i'm 100% female. also, it looks more modern/contemporary to me.

my shoes are black leather pointy-toed 2 1/2 inch pumps from bcbg (so you know they're cute and stylish-if i'm gonna drop the money i want to be able to wear them out)

i have a black leather tote with thin staps...i wanted my bag to match my shoes.

in total, i think this outfit will look professional and well-put-together but still reflect my femininity and personal style.

i am a huge fan of dressing to flatter one's figure, regardless of trends or rules.

the most important thing (other than tailoring) is to be comfortable and confident in your outfit...you wear the suit, not the other way around.

i have a fashion designer friend that has informed me that confidence is what makes an outfit. i think that this is entirely true.

i'll probably wear my hair in a low, loose pony tail (i have curly hair).

good luck to you all!!!!!!!

Ladies, how about pantyhose? I will have a navy blue suit with white blouse and black shoes. What color should be my pantyhose: nude, white or black? I know that pantyhose “of color” were out of fashion during recent years, but I’ve heard and saw in fashion magazines they are popular again. Still kind of wobbly about black ones….

As for bags, I ordered this model:

http://www.ebags.com/kenneth_cole_r...r_tote/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=71961

but I was disappointed because of the size. I am 5`3``petit and it is way TOO BIG for me. Besides, it is made in China and the seams are not perfect at all. I need to return it.

Definitely nude pantyhose.