The Suit Thread (for women)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nude hose is the conservative choice. apparently leggings are in, but you don't want to be talked about as the flashdance applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

I've gotta give credit to Bennetton which never ceases to fail me. I looked endlessly for a non-black suit, but none fit right. I tried Ann Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Tahari, Banana Republic, Macys, Brooks Brothers, Limited etc, etc, etc (we don't have H&M or Zara although I wish we did) but nothing fit well except Bennetton. And although I wanted something that wasn't black, I ended up with black because they didn't have the skirt size I needed for the pinstripe. Bennetton is great if you have a smaller frame though. There stuff is just narrower in the shoulders and shorter in the sleeves. I don't even have to get this skirt hemmed.

I'm not wearing a blouse. They're uncomfortable and even the supposed non-wrinkle variety still doesn't look good once it's been stuffed in a suitcase for a while. I'm wearing a light purple shell with amethyst earrings and a purplish necklace. My purse that I use everyday is already purplish. Shoes will be classic, shiny leather black high heels.

When you said, "I'm not wearing a blouse", for some reason I immediately got this picture of Mariah Carey wearing just the suit coat and pants in my head and started cracking up. It's late. I think I need to go to bed :)

I am in my 8th month of pregnancy, I will be interviewing pre- and post- baby. Anyone have any suggestions about where to buy a nice maternity suit? And what type of blouses are most of you ladies wearing? I don't want to get a button down, but at the same time I think they look more professional.

I think the stuff from Pea in the Pod or Mimi looks nice. Pea in the Pod is pretty expensive - similar cost to the JCrew suits others on this thread have mentioned, since you'll be buying a second, post-baby suit. The website - www.destinationmaternity.com has links to both companies. I used Motherhood tops for nursing, but not while I was pregnant. I think Target had some maternity suits in very limited selection when I walked by the other day - they were cute enough to catch my eye!
Good luck & congrats on the baby!

I am in my 8th month of pregnancy, I will be interviewing pre- and post- baby. Anyone have any suggestions about where to buy a nice maternity suit? And what type of blouses are most of you ladies wearing? I don't want to get a button down, but at the same time I think they look more professional.

If any of you are lucky enough to live in a city with a large Chinatown or other area where you can get Gucci and Prada knockoff bags, you should check it out. (Sure, they're not really legit...but so cute and so affordable!)

My sister lives in NYC--she sent me a great looking black leather "Gucci" tote that she paid $35 for. :)

I saw a PA interviewing for a position here where I am doing a research fellowship. She had on a lighter grey suit (not charcoal) and was wearing a cute brown shirt with matching shoes and bag. To hear myself describe it it sounds bad, but it looked great on her. I don't think it would work for traditional type specialties (unless you are super confident when standing out in a crowd of black), but I liked it.

I am in my 7th month right now, and just purchased a suit at Motherhood maternity. I wanted to be able to try it on first and this is the only maternity store in my area. I will also be interviewing both pre- and post- baby, but I bought a suit when I was 5 months pregnant, figuring if it fit me then it will fit after the baby. Now I just have to figure out how to discretly carry a breast pump with me for my interviews post-baby. :)

I am in my 7th month right now, and just purchased a suit at Motherhood maternity. I wanted to be able to try it on first and this is the only maternity store in my area. I will also be interviewing both pre- and post- baby, but I bought a suit when I was 5 months pregnant, figuring if it fit me then it will fit after the baby. Now I just have to figure out how to discretly carry a breast pump with me for my interviews post-baby. :)

Just dont forget the nursing pads and bring back ups in case you get engorged!!!! how embarrassing would that be, leaking through your shirt...

ok so i was a little worried about the 'hoochie' look of the form fitting pants and skirts but i could find nothing else and im not one that packs junk in the trunk (ha ha)...anyway, my friend who is ~30 and a high powered attorney in manhattan told me that the form fitting style is what everyone is wearing, it is not seen as not conservative at all. she also mentioned that everyone wears black. apparently gray (lighter or heather i guess) is just not in this season and that is why it is so hard to find. she recommends for young, professional women who dont want to look frumpy: tehari, theory, j crew, dkny (altho too stylish for medicine) and some european companies.

thats my input, she helped me out a lot altho i dont care as much about whats in, more so what looks good on me!
:luck:

What do you wear? Im not a khaki and sweater set kind of girl. I was hoping to wear super nice jeans and dress it up but friends gave me the ix nay.
how fashionable or casual can you be??

What do you wear? Im not a khaki and sweater set kind of girl. I was hoping to wear super nice jeans and dress it up but friends gave me the ix nay.
how fashionable or casual can you be??

go nicer than jeans, they're taking you out for a recruitment dinner. a skirt would be good. wear what you would wear for a nice night out.

Just dont forget the nursing pads and bring back ups in case you get engorged!!!! how embarrassing would that be, leaking through your shirt...

No kidding! :laugh:

Medela has a nice double electric breast pump that is cased in a black, leather (or leather like) case with a strap on it. Granted - I last pumped 5 years ago - but I had folks ask me where I got my neat briefcase! It had a fold over flap, so it wasn't distinguishable as a breast pump unless you happened to notice the small power plug in site on the side.
Here is a link to their website: http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/pumps_personalUseElectric.html#pumpinstyle_Original

The one I used was the Original. Never gave me a problem and I breastfed for a year. If you'll be working while breastfeeding, an electric, double pump is essential, otherwise it just takes too long. I could take a 10-15 minute break and be done.

Definately don't forget the nursing pads!

Ladies, how about pantyhose? I will have a navy blue suit with white blouse and black shoes. What color should be my pantyhose: nude, white or black? I know that pantyhose “of color” were out of fashion during recent years, but I’ve heard and saw in fashion magazines they are popular again. Still kind of wobbly about black ones….

As for bags, I ordered this model:

http://www.ebags.com/kenneth_cole_r...r_tote/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=71961

but I was disappointed because of the size. I am 5`3``petit and it is way TOO BIG for me. Besides, it is made in China and the seams are not perfect at all. I need to return it.

If navy suit, please, please, please do NOT wear black shoes or bag with it. It clashes.

I'm not trying to be mean - I'm just looking out for your best interest. Get a pair of brown (preferably medium brown - these, for instance would be adorable with a navy skirt suit: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/15794756/c/216.html or navy shoes, although I favor the medium brown. And then, get yourself a medium brown bag to match the shoes - it doesn't have to be a perfect match, but it does have to flow well. This is a nice style of bag: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/12843190/c/6.html, although your bag o' choice is kind of nice too.

DO NOT, under any circumstances, attempt black pantyhose with a navy suit. NUDE pantyhose, although personally I veto them altogether, but again, we have to play by the rules of interviewing and I think it looks a little trashy to show up without pantyhose on an interview.

If any of you are lucky enough to live in a city with a large Chinatown or other area where you can get Gucci and Prada knockoff bags, you should check it out. (Sure, they're not really legit...but so cute and so affordable!)

My sister lives in NYC--she sent me a great looking black leather "Gucci" tote that she paid $35 for. :)

You can definitely get goods like that in big cities, but I also have heard that you might want to avoid labels...you may not want to be known as the girl who carried the LV or Gucci bag around.

go nicer than jeans, they're taking you out for a recruitment dinner. a skirt would be good. wear what you would wear for a nice night out.

Maybe a nice pair of slacks with a dressy sweater - try going the business casual look...that might be a good place to start...

Ladies, how about pantyhose? I will have a navy blue suit with white blouse and black shoes. What color should be my pantyhose: nude, white or black? I know that pantyhose “of color” were out of fashion during recent years, but I’ve heard and saw in fashion magazines they are popular again. Still kind of wobbly about black ones….

As for bags, I ordered this model:

http://www.ebags.com/kenneth_cole_r...r_tote/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=71961

but I was disappointed because of the size. I am 5`3``petit and it is way TOO BIG for me. Besides, it is made in China and the seams are not perfect at all. I need to return it.

i actually got that same bag... and i really really like it! i wonder if you got a lemon? mine looks very very professional and is fabulous! i'm also 5 3 and petite, but i like the size it is... probably becuase the bag i carry now is the same size about.

anyways, here's a weird question... i haven't bought hose in a long time (i HATE them)... and the only ones have from like 5 years ago are so super high in the waist... but obviosly my skirt isnt THAT high... do they make lower rise hose these days? i know, i'm such a dork:p... but hey, it's a valid question... i think :cool:

Medela has a nice double electric breast pump that is cased in a black, leather (or leather like) case with a strap on it. Granted - I last pumped 5 years ago - but I had folks ask me where I got my neat briefcase! It had a fold over flap, so it wasn't distinguishable as a breast pump unless you happened to notice the small power plug in site on the side.
Here is a link to their website: http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/pumps_personalUseElectric.html#pumpinstyle_Original

The one I used was the Original. Never gave me a problem and I breastfed for a year. If you'll be working while breastfeeding, an electric, double pump is essential, otherwise it just takes too long. I could take a 10-15 minute break and be done.

Definately don't forget the nursing pads!

Is anyone else going to be still nursing when they interview? My son will be about 6 months old and I rarely leak anymore but I don't think I could make it a whole day without pumping at all. I have a Medela Pump in Style which I love generally but I'm not sure I want to haul it around all day. Plus, then you have to find somewhere with an electric outlet to pump and surprisingly many bathrooms don't have one! I have a hand pump that would fit in my handbag that I think I'll probably use. Anyone else having to worry about this?!

Is anyone else going to be still nursing when they interview? My son will be about 6 months old and I rarely leak anymore but I don't think I could make it a whole day without pumping at all. I have a Medela Pump in Style which I love generally but I'm not sure I want to haul it around all day. Plus, then you have to find somewhere with an electric outlet to pump and surprisingly many bathrooms don't have one! I have a hand pump that would fit in my handbag that I think I'll probably use. Anyone else having to worry about this?!

My baby is due on Christmas day, and I am interviewing in November and January. So, the baby will only be weeks old when I interview in January. I have a Medela PIS that I used with my daughter, and it came with a battery pack, maybe you can get a battery pack for yours? I have also looked into the Whisper wear pump http://www.whisperwear.com/ because it is hands free and doesn't have as many parts to worry about like the PIS. The only thing I'm worried about is having a long enough break to squeeze in a pumping session!

I have a Medela Pump in Style which I love generally but I'm not sure I want to haul it around all day. Plus, then you have to find somewhere with an electric outlet to pump and surprisingly many bathrooms don't have one!

You can usually talk to the residency coordinator early in the day and she usually will let you keep it in her office. She may also have suggestions for places to pump. Funny, all of the bathrooms in the ob/gyn departments have plugs (and several have couches) at my school.

i actually got that same bag... and i really really like it! i wonder if you got a lemon? mine looks very very professional and is fabulous! i'm also 5 3 and petite, but i like the size it is... probably becuase the bag i carry now is the same size about.

anyways, here's a weird question... i haven't bought hose in a long time (i HATE them)... and the only ones have from like 5 years ago are so super high in the waist... but obviosly my skirt isnt THAT high... do they make lower rise hose these days? i know, i'm such a dork:p... but hey, it's a valid question... i think :cool:

Yes!! I was sooooo excited when I saw them at Target last year. Hanes makes them and I have gotten them at Target, but other places may carry them too. They were only like $4-5, so not outrageous and not only are they lower rise, but the waistband is less elastic so it does not cut into your skin and cause, ummmm, rolls (don't know if you have that problem, but I did). Anyway, you should check out Target.

Hi,
I am new to SDN. What type of dress will be appropriate for dinner on the day before the interview? Suggestions anyone? Thanks.

Victoria's Secret makes low rise hose too. I love their Almost Black color. And they last long and have been very comfy. A little more pricey at $8, but to me, it's worth it! I'll have to check out those Hanes' too.

I know someone already asked this, but it didn't get much response and I'm still curious, so just wondering who else is planning to wear a pants-suit. I know that tradition says women should wear skirt suits, but I figured the times had changed and I really hadn't given it much thought, until an administrator at my school doing a pre-interview Q&A session specifically said women should def. wear skirts:eek: ! Now I am a little freaked out. Just hoping some of you all can put my fears to rest and reassure me that I will still match if I wear pants.

ok about the whole interviewing right before and after baby, more power to you but having gone thru it, i do not think that would have been possible for me. esp after the baby was born, it was hard just to leave the house after 4 mo! esp with the breast feeding, the lack of sleep and all of the psychological and physical trauma that comes with it. if it were me, i would try to arrange all of my interviews either early as possible or as far after the baby has been born. maybe youve been thru it before so you know...but that is just my two cents. remember baby will have to be willing to take a bottle too (of pumped milk) if youre not there to breast feed her and sometimes they are picky who they will even take the bottle from! :luck:

I'm going to be wearing pants for most, if not all, of my interviews. Reason being they're all in the dead of winter and I want to be comfortable. Also, my suit pants fit very well, and I don't feel de-feminized in them at all. I might mix it up with a skirt now and then at some prelim interviews, but I personally think that pants are just fine. :)

I know someone already asked this, but it didn't get much response and I'm still curious, so just wondering who else is planning to wear a pants-suit. I know that tradition says women should wear skirt suits, but I figured the times had changed and I really hadn't given it much thought, until an administrator at my school doing a pre-interview Q&A session specifically said women should def. wear skirts:eek: ! Now I am a little freaked out. Just hoping some of you all can put my fears to rest and reassure me that I will still match if I wear pants.

Hmmm... I must be breaking all the rules. I'm wearing a grey pants suit (with a feminine cut) with a black silk blouse, black shoes, black bag. I feel comfortable, attractive, and confident in it... which hopefully will make the suit look good even if I don't blend in ;)
I have my first interview next week. I'll let you know if they run me out of town with torches and pitchforks for my grey pants-suit :D

i'm wearing a charcoal pants suit

ok about the whole interviewing right before and after baby, more power to you but having gone thru it, i do not think that would have been possible for me. esp after the baby was born, it was hard just to leave the house after 4 mo! esp with the breast feeding, the lack of sleep and all of the psychological and physical trauma that comes with it. if it were me, i would try to arrange all of my interviews either early as possible or as far after the baby has been born. maybe youve been thru it before so you know...but that is just my two cents. remember baby will have to be willing to take a bottle too (of pumped milk) if youre not there to breast feed her and sometimes they are picky who they will even take the bottle from! :luck:

I have a 3 year-old daughter, so I remember what it was like after she was born. The thing is, I don't really have a choice but to interview right after the baby because of when I am due (December 25th). You are not supposed to travel after your 36th week of pregnancy, which knocks out the entire month of December for me. That leaves only November and January. It is not possible to go on 10-12 interviews in one month, so that leaves me having to do some in January. It is not ideal, but it's what I have to do. :)

I've got 2 suits, one with pants and one with a skirt. I'm planning on alternating since I'll be doing several interviews on a long trip. I don't think women have to wear a skirt any longer... at least it's not mandatory (and I'm going into the most girly specialty). Someone asked at the meeting with the advisors for the ob program, and they responded that pants and skirts are equal, as long as everything fits and is put together.

PS - Finally got my shoes http://www.shoes.com/stores/lifestr...mens|Dress&sc=LIFE_DRESS&variant_id=EC1027291

I know, they are loaferish, but the heel is higher than I usually wear, and the toe looks longer than in the photo. Plus, they are really comfortable.

I have a 3 year-old daughter, so I remember what it was like after she was born. The thing is, I don't really have a choice but to interview right after the baby because of when I am due (December 25th). You are not supposed to travel after your 36th week of pregnancy, which knocks out the entire month of December for me. That leaves only November and January. It is not possible to go on 10-12 interviews in one month, so that leaves me having to do some in January. It is not ideal, but it's what I have to do. :)

Hi there, nice to know someone is sharing my experience! I am interviewing in late October, first part of November, and December. My baby is due in late November, so I am doing all the local/ regional interviews early and the ones I have to fly to in December. I am applying for peds and peds neuro (which is an early match specialty) so that pretty much eliminates January. I am lucky enough to have my mother coming to stay with me for a few months after the baby is born. This is my first baby, so the whole breast pumping thing is going to be new to me! The worst part is that a lot of my interviews are 2 days long--I know I'll be tired, but I am excited and will have to make it work. I need to get a suit first, my first interview is in 2 weeks! I'll try Motherhood and Maternity since you had luck there. Good luck with everything!

I think the stuff from Pea in the Pod or Mimi looks nice. Pea in the Pod is pretty expensive - similar cost to the JCrew suits others on this thread have mentioned, since you'll be buying a second, post-baby suit. The website - www.destinationmaternity.com has links to both companies. I used Motherhood tops for nursing, but not while I was pregnant. I think Target had some maternity suits in very limited selection when I walked by the other day - they were cute enough to catch my eye!
Good luck & congrats on the baby!

If you're like most women, the pre-baby maternity suit will probably still fit post-baby, especially in the first month or two:D

Unless you're like my best friend Angie, who wore her size zero genes two weeks after having her son when she came to visit me:rolleyes:

you will be fine. . . pants suits are fine. . . i just wore a skirt suit last year because it was more flattering on me. be yourself. there may be a few old men attendings who like to see women in skirts, but i would guess they are few and far between. and really, would you want to match there anyways?

I think times HAVE changed.

When I interviewed for residency 7 years ago, we ALL wore skirt suits.

Then I noticed the female applicants were starting to wear pant suits. And general surgery is pretty conservative.

For fellowship interviews, most of us wore pant suits and those who didn't, looked a little dowdy, IMHO. Not because skirt suits are inherently dowdy but because I think those applicants tended to be less fashion conscious types anyway and many may have worn suits from years ago (ie, med school).

So, in surgery at least, which tends to be more conservative than many fields, especially those with more female applicants, pant suits are welcome. I never heard anyone comment negatively about a female applicant wearing pants nor do I think it was an issue at all. Please wear whatever you feel comfortable in and look best in - whether it be pants or skirts.

On another note... hoisery is still de riguer. I know in the fashion world, naked legs are ok, but medicine is still conservative and if you're wearing a skirt suit you need to cover your legs. With pant suits, knee highs are fine, obviously. I personally hate tan colored pantyhose and prefer sheer black, but it depends on your suit.

Your bag should be large enough to fit a portfolio/envelope in. So I would recommend a more shoulder-strap case style rather than a purse. I have found several nice ones at Liz Clairborne outlets and Burlington Coat Factory, quite reasonable. And of all places, yesterday at Payless found a nice bag, for $14.99, not leather of course, but it could pass, if you're trying to save.

Re: the blouse question. I found sleeveless sweater or silk shells look nice - especially if you want to wear a scarf. The buttons kind of detract and if you're full busted like me, you don't have to worry about popping one open!:laugh:

Inka, thank you very much – but I do not like brown with navy. Besides, my "navy" has a little bit more purple, than blue, so my black accessories go well with it. I think it is much more difficult to match navy with right brown than navy with black color. Than please, look at these pictures – I think it look nice…

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2904496...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2377668&P=1

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2899969...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2377668&P=6

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...te_refer=360i+G&bmUID=1160676762650&ev19=1:12

http://www.spiegel.com/shop/product..._cat_id=5002&nav_cat_id=9645&category_id=9649

You can find some navy + black combination in this collection:
http://www.bcbg.com/fall2006/index.htm

So, I guess, there are no strict standards about it. :)

I ordered mine from ebag....com. I really like the idea of this tote, but I think it is way too big. Besides, I am not going to take my lap top on my iv`s anyway... so I got this one in Dillards:
http://www.francosarto.com/product_...It Swagger&id=Belt_It-f2855n-black&c=handbags
It is very comfortable, classy and does have space for a big folder + all I need for an interview.:)

i got all worried after reading this thread about the black and navy combo. from what i read on the internet, the consensus was that black shoes with a navy suit are fine. apparently it used to be a big fasion no no, but that is not the case anymore.

I am wearing a suit and black pointy toed shoes would go so well but is it too mod? what kind of shoes still pull off the polished look in medicine without looking frumpy?:confused:

i dont think pointy toes will be a problem if they are comfortable for you. i'd be careful with heel height though

I am wearing a suit and black pointy toed shoes would go so well but is it too mod? what kind of shoes still pull off the polished look in medicine without looking frumpy?:confused:

I am def. wearing pointy toed shoes. I am very short and the pointy toe elongates the leg and makes me look taller, which makes me feel more confident. But the heel will be mid-height, about 2". A really high stiletto might be pushing it.

yeah i definately would not go high. i am going about 1" if i ever find a pair. i also am very tall. the important thing is that you can walk in them comfortably.

yeah i definately would not go high. i am going about 1" if i ever find a pair. i also am very tall. the important thing is that you can walk in them comfortably.

one inch?!?! really?? eep. all my shoes are >2 inches! i'm a shortie though.

oh! and thanks for the info on the low rise hose... silly question i know:)

Ladies,

i still haven't found a black bag/portfolio/purse/whatever for the interview trail... and i'm not sure where to look. would people post links to bags they bought? Thank you!!

Ladies,

i still haven't found a black bag/portfolio/purse/whatever for the interview trail... and i'm not sure where to look. would people post links to bags they bought? Thank you!!

Samsonite has a couple of leather portfolios around $50. Check them out they available in most malls.

I'm really girly but I'm going very conservative for interviews. The way I've resolved this is a SLIGHTLY fun bag. I found tons of bags on ebay; I got this cute Furla tote in "pommegranate" for like $125, which was less than half the price. This way, I could wear it with a suit of basically any color (I have black and brown ones). Hope that helps anyone who's still looking!

i have a nice black leather bag from a liz claiborne outlet for like $30-40 that i use for business-like stuff (conferences, etc)... if you're trying to save money, try a liz claiborne outlet (they always have a ton of bags) or a place like ross or marshall's.

but i'm wondering... is it necessary to carry a huge bag that would fit papers and folders in it, or just a regular purse to fit keys/glasses/gum, etc? i'd much rather carry a small purse rather than a bigger bag to lug around all day.

My two cents:
-I have both black and grey suits, the black is a skirt suit by Tahari and the grey is a jcrew pants suit. I think the black one is going to be my primary just because I feel better in it. Most of the time I am planning on wearing some sort of shell underneath because I have a big chest and would flat out DIE if a button popped or it began to pull throughout the day.

-Hair in chignon....when down goes down to my mid back and tends to make me look like the southern girl that I am.

-Nude hose

- Black round toe pumps that yes, have a three inch heel, (which I know will raise some eyebrows on this forum) but I walk well in heels and to be honest, I am always impressed when I see women in heels at the hospital. I am not one of them normally (my merrels ruined me for hot stilettos), but I can stick it out for an interview day.

-Definitely lighter makeup than for a date or the club/bar, but more than I wear to the hospital (which is virtually none). I normally wear liquid black liner, which I am going to lay off of for interviews.

-Bag??? Still looking. I'm leaving all logos at home...the odds favor the person interviewing you doesn't own a louis or a gucci, so then the odds favor they won't be particularly impressed if you are carrying one. Still trying to find the perfect bag, though, and they all seem so expensive to me right now. :rolleyes:

- read some of the earlier posts, and call me old fashioned, but I think anything outside of a suit is unprofessional for interviews of this nature.

Thats just me....curious to hear what you all think about heels on the interview trail. Look forward to meeting all you other women in medicine.
:)