the summer before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nazz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
as a current senior planning to attend med school right after graduating, i.e. this fall, i'm so very unsure what plans to pursue this summer. i have received several for paid internships, some medically related, some not. would it be hasty to turn all down and just be lazy this summer? what have med students done during the summer before med school and what are others planning? any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely don't waste it doing an internship. Have fun! This is one of the last times you'll have with virtually no responsibility. I'm taking a trip somewhere... though I'm not exactly sure where yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Enjoy your time off! Vacation, friends, family, hobbies etc. Get it in while you can!

Yeah, just take it easy! If I didn't have to work fulltime, I would just be having fun and living life because when August hits its time for game faces!

as a current senior planning to attend med school right after graduating, i.e. this fall, i'm so very unsure what plans to pursue this summer. i have received several for paid internships, some medically related, some not. would it be hasty to turn all down and just be lazy this summer? what have med students done during the summer before med school and what are others planning? any advice?

Im in the same boat, got a paid research position for the summer and really hate to pass up that opportunity but basically everyone says.... dude no relax do nothing. I would like to hear other opinions too.

Im in the same boat, got a paid research position for the summer and really hate to pass up that opportunity but basically everyone says.... dude no relax do nothing. I would like to hear other opinions too.

Everyone says doing nothing is better than pre-studying because that's just a waste of time. Doing research and getting paid is better than doing nothing because you'll be productive.

Everyone says doing nothing is better than pre-studying because that's just a waste of time. Doing research and getting paid is better than doing nothing because you'll be productive.

Work can be good. I quit my job about three weeks before starting school. I kind of wish I had more time to do nothing.

I had originally planned on pre-studying during this upcoming summer, but after reading SDN comments about that I've decided to enjoy my last few months of freedom.

Even if you try to pre-study, it will be nothing compared to the material you will face in medical school. It's unlike anything you've ever had before, especially with classes like Anatomy. If you studied like crazy this summer, maybe you can get a one or two day advantage. Totally not worth it considering that you'll never get this time back ever again.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't have plans to travel or anything, I'd go with the paid internship, as you'll be productive and making money instead of just sitting around all summer. Last summer I had a time-intensive job as a counselor for the 2nd half of the summer, the 1st half was just spent bumming around my hometown, which got old and boring VERY quickly. I'd rather be working or traveling, sadly one of those things costs a lot of money.

What would your schedule be if you do one of the internships? If it's like a M-F 9-5 job, that's perfect, because you still have the whole evening/night/weekends to have fun and enjoy yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
I got all of my partying and hanging around done in my earlier years; I'm currently in spring break and going crazy with all the free time that I have. It's kinda hard for a person that has a family to sit around a whole summer or go travel somewhere-these things just aren't feasible unless you come from a wealthy family or have a spouse that makes a good amount of money. I was able to find a great opportunity doing research this summer and I'm extremely excited to start. I feel as if I have to work even harder to be able to keep up with you whipper snappers!

I studied First Aid for 3 months, going through the material at least 5 times over that summer. I also began working on research publications for NEJM and JAMA. All of this has helped me achieve 290+ on Step 1 and stellar LORs.

But seriously, don't do anything. I spent the summer watching movies, playing video games, traveling, and reading books for funsies. Even if you do the paid internship, while you are getting a little bit of money, you're also wasting valuable dick-around time.

I wouldn't do anything too drastic. If you have the ability to do some odd jobs or something might be worth it just to make yourself not feel totally worthless. Otherwise just max and relax with Summertime by Will Smith on repeat.

Survivor DO

Don't do something medically related--but do learn something that will be useful in your life.

I have friends who are taking out loans and buying big screen TVs--all against my advice.

I would STRONGLY recommend to learn finance and its applications to your life.

Don't do something medically related--but do learn something that will be useful in your life.

I have friends who are taking out loans and buying big screen TVs--all against my advice.

+1. I'm sure many people have read Rich Dad Poor Dad. I'm reading Dr. Stiglitz The Price of Inequality right now, but that's a bit different. I think having a current financial plan and learning about modern techniques would be useful, considering that most books out there are outdated within 10-15 years; especially in our current economy.

They are actually very cheap these days. We've come a long way from those rear projection TVs that cost thousands.

They are actually very cheap these days. We've come a long way from those rear projection TVs that cost thousands.

Any tv is too expensive if you have to take out loans/ use a credit card you don't pay off immediately.

I am backpacking/couchsurfing my way through Europe. Last chance before the real world!

It's the last chunk of free time in your 20's
Spend it wisely :naughty:

I am working a part-time job and will just travel/play music/exercise a ton/enjoy being outside. There is no point in stressing yourself out and working hard the summer before med school. You will probably regret it if you don't take advantage of that time to do whatever you want.

Take time off, enjoy life

I'm on the "work and make money" team. If money isn't a problem for you, do it at least to keep yourself active. I like feeling financially secure, and sometimes loans just don't do that for you. Having extra cash in the bank is pretty awesome, in my opinion.

But then again, I enjoy being busy. When I'm not busy, I try to find things to do.

Definitely don't waste it doing an internship. Have fun! This is one of the last times you'll have with virtually no responsibility. I'm taking a trip somewhere... though I'm not exactly sure where yet.

+1

My job ends mid-June...and the day after I'm shipping off to Europe for a month. Eurail pass here I come. When I get back I have to drive cross-country with all my belongings and then my fam is going on a family vacation the week before med school starts. Stoked for summer yall.

I disagree with what everyone here has said. I think you should hit the books and review your organic chem (which is very necessary for medical school), buy a copy of First Aid and memorize it, do research and make connections, and watch as many anatomy lectures online. Take summer courses at your local med school. Why will residencies pick you if there are so many other kids who did all those things?

The summer before medical school i got together with a buddy to ride our bicycles from Portland, OR to NYC.. Stayed as far away from any prestudy material as I possibly could. First year academics did not suffer, to say the least.. Do something you have always wanted to do, but never thought you would, is my advice..

I have a kind of unique situation so I need some good direction on what to do. I have spent the last year traveling the us driving over 10,000 miles. I had a blast and it was probably the best time of my life. I have enjoyed life to say the least. I even quit my job so I could keep enjoying life until I start med school this fall. Then I broke my leg. So I am stuck at home most of the day dying of boredom. One can only enjoy the pool so many days in a leg brace before looking sun damaged. I have taken up knitting, read an entire library, and pretty much feel like my brain is turning to mush. Yesterday, I even started reading over my mcat study book because I missed science. I am so bored I yearn to study. Since I have not taken biochem or anat/phys...what do you recommend I do? Should I start reading over first aid?

I have a kind of unique situation so I need some good direction on what to do. I have spent the last year traveling the us driving over 10,000 miles. I had a blast and it was probably the best time of my life. I have enjoyed life to say the least. I even quit my job so I could keep enjoying life until I start med school this fall. Then I broke my leg. So I am stuck at home most of the day dying of boredom. One can only enjoy the pool so many days in a leg brace before looking sun damaged. I have taken up knitting, read an entire library, and pretty much feel like my brain is turning to mush. Yesterday, I even started reading over my mcat study book because I missed science. I am so bored I yearn to study. Since I have not taken biochem or anat/phys...what do you recommend I do? Should I start reading over first aid?

Learn some stuff from Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/
Read some books: http://www.reddit.com/r/raerth/comments/cpxkq/reddits_favourite_books/
Immerse yourself in nostalgia with classic games: http://www.playr.org/games

First Aid won't help you much since you won't have the foundation for it. You don't want to look at study books anyway. You'll do more studying than you ever wanted soon enough.

No. Don't touch First Aid until you start classes, then annotate/familiarize as you go. First Aid is meant to organize info you already learned/know. It's not a book to learn from. Get healthy, read some lit and take it easy.

Learn some stuff from Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/
Read some books: http://www.reddit.com/r/raerth/comments/cpxkq/reddits_favourite_books/
Immerse yourself in nostalgia with classic games: http://www.playr.org/games

First Aid won't help you much since you won't have the foundation for it. You don't want to look at study books anyway. You'll do more studying than you ever wanted soon enough.

Thank you for your input! I think I'm going to just read until I cannot read anymore! Thanks for the links!

the summer before med school I rode my motorcycle 5,000 miles, went to the beach a lot, and had a steady stream of alcohol running through my veins.... if I could go back I would do the same thing
again

my recommendation (and i think i will follow my own advice once i'm done writing this) is to get off SDN and go live life. look for things on groupon. i'll be learning how to surf, taking flight lessons, going rock-climbing, working out, learning every song i've ever wanted to play on guitar...and on piano, learning how to weld, how to make pottery, going kayaking, going fishing, gardening, TRAVELING, seeing some national parks, going to shows and concerts and museums and all kinds of local events, going out and meeting people and learning a little about who i am...
i like to think i'll be a better doctor because of all this.

I quit my job about 2 weeks before school started, and then spent a week getting things together, and then 3 days driving to the new town I was living in.

Do whatever you want to do. If that means sitting around and doing nothing, go for it. If you have an internship that you really want to do, do that.

I would just be having fun and living life because when August hits its time for game faces!
2a6.jpg

Is it more difficult to jump into med school if you've been lazy the whole summer before?

Is it more difficult to jump into med school if you've been lazy the whole summer before?

no
just keep up with the material and remember that med school starts on day 1. if you start out from behind, it'll be hard to catch up

Finally have a plan for a trip this summer. I'm going to Asia. Does anyone know how the visa system works?

Um...where in Asia? Each country has different visa requirements, prices, etc.

Google "[country name] visa application" Boom.

I am looking at the state department’s website right now. I was just looking for any general tips anyone might have. I'm thinking Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing. Does anyone have a favorite place in Asia?

the summer before med school I rode my motorcycle 5,000 miles, went to the beach a lot, and had a steady stream of alcohol running through my veins.... if I could go back I would do the same thing
again
Nice, drinking and driving!

Status
Not open for further replies.