The summer before medical school--paying for the lst rent

DNALadder2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2001
    If you start your lst year in medical school and loans don't start until your first day of class, how do you pay for your first month's rent? I guess my question to you is: how much do you think one would need to save before loans kick in...meaning, paying for lst month rent, downpayment on tuition, books, etc. I'll be going to GW this August and there's $2900 prepayment in tuition. Off-Campus Housing is left to students. How do you afford all this before loans kick in?

Cobragirl

Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Aug 18, 2000
    In residency HELL
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Oh, and be prepared NOT to get your loans until WELL AFTER the first week of classes. Our school didn't "officialy" release checks until the 2nd or 3rd week (depending on where you fell alphabetically)...then you have to wait for them to be mailed or direct deposited into your account! Most schools WILL give you "credit" at the bookstore, so you can at least get your books, so at least that is taken care of. In any case, I had to pay TWO months of rent/bills out-of-pocket!

And we won't even go into what happens if you're late filing your financial aid...or if you have "problems" with it!

MSN1

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 16, 2001
        The tuition should not be a problem because the school knows you have not gotten your loans yet. In the case of getting the loan checks my school was much better and we got the checks during orientation.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.