The Super-Official Hopkins vs Stanford Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAreject

Registered "User"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you choose and why???

Members don't see this ad.

Don't you love how we can make things "official" just by adding it to the title, as if we were the official "official thread" makers?

Gettos of Baltimore vs the nice campus in Palo Alto?
Potentially getting killed vs safety?
East vs West

But I'll forever be a bluejay, and always bitter at stanford so Hopkins it is. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Please see current thread, "SDN is addicting but totally NOT helpful". If you're considering either school, you should be smart enough to figure out that you don't need our help. 0+ posts? Please sign in under your real name.

Lol yeah, but thats why this one is super-official, just so people don't mistake it with "official" threads that aren't nearly as SDN-worthy. Anyways, which would you choose?

Im sorry to disappoint you patzan100+, this is my real name. This is somewhat meant to be a serious thread in that I want to really assess which school people prefer.

Also, if you are gonna take the time to write something here, even if you're just advertising another thread, at least answer the question, Stanford or JH, thanks.

I think one of the biggest differences in the student experience would be Stanford being much less stressful than Hopkins due to disparate grading systems...

personally, i'd say stanford cuz it's cali and not baltimore.

UCLAreject said:
Which would you choose and why???

I don't know anything about Stanford, but I'll give you my two cents on Hopkins. I went to Hop for undergrad, and spent a good deal of time at the med campus...volunteering, doing research, taking classes at the public health , etc. That said, I would have to say the biggest negative about Hopkins med is the campus and surrounding area. The school is in the worst part of Baltimore, and that is saying a lot. Depending on where you grew up and where you went for undergrad, the atmosphere may take a litte getting used to. Overall, Baltimore is a decent city. It certainly has its charm, although that may be difficult to see at times. Aside from that, Hopkins can't be beat. The academics are top notch, faculty are superb, and I can't imagine gettin better clinical exposure anywhere else.

But the crappy part of Baltimore makes hopkins stand out in terms of having good ER case loads and good public health research projects, no? When you come out, you'd probably be ready for anything..........

...especially how to kick some ass when you're about to get mugged.

CrzyDoc451 said:
But the crappy part of Baltimore makes hopkins stand out in terms of having good ER case loads and good public health research projects, no? When you come out, you'd probably be ready for anything..........

The lion's share of seriously injured victims from Baltimore's violent crime areas go to University of Maryland Shock Trauma. Hopkins specializes in Kiddie Trauma, & Bayview is the area's major burn center.

I go to Stanford for undergrad (obviously), and I have to say that I am not impressed with many of the medical students here. Many of whom I met in the last 3 years seem very nerdy and socially awkward, which is strange because it's P/F all 4 years and I would've thought they'd be more fun. Granted I don't hang out with them a lot (because I'm an undergrad), I still don't see myself having much fun with them if I decided to chill with them. I suppose Hopkins is not going to be much different, but at least the medical school has a better reputation. California's definitely nicer without question, especially this area. So in the end, I don't know - it's a tossup - but I wouldn't go to either school.

What is behind Curtain #3 Stanford_Haytah???

I'm not hating, did I come off like that? I'm probably just critical of the medical school. Without a doubt, I like the undergrad way more than the medical school here. I have a ton of friends who just got their rejections from the medical school, so if you talk to them right now you'll get the sense that not all undergrads love the medical school.

I don't think you were hating that much.....so your point was that if someone does attend Stanford, they should live where the undergrads are?