The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fromthebox

In the Box
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hokay, here goes:
There seem to be several others out there in a similar situation to me. So far two of the six schools I applied to have sent the majority of their invites and I have not received one. I find myself refreshing my e-mail multiple times per hour, the same for SDN. While I am happy for those getting invites, I also feel pangs of jealousy at those with multiple invites or acceptances already. I must face the facts:
THE APP PROCESS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY:bang:

The process is far from over, so in an attempt to not burn out or turn into a jealous cranky old pain in the butt I am reaching out to the others I know are out there. Hopefully in a couple weeks or months we will be looking back on this and laughing, secure in our interview offers. But until then, if you need to say it, let it out and we can commiserate and plan world domination...

Members don't see this ad.

I feel equally crazy. :bang:I think all my friends and family are starting to believe I am as well lol. If it makes you feel better, I have been checking SDN and my email insane amounts of times as well... but I think that just makes BOTH of us crazy :p. After all the KSU interview invites I saw, I was getting stressed, and then I saw the third wave being sent through yesterday and I thought I still had hope... now I'm pretty sure KSU is out of the running :( I don't expect an email throughout the Thanksgiving holiday and have a feeling the only thing I will see is a rejection letter. Oh well... 11 to go! Best of luck!

:laugh: the title of this thread makes me laugh... makes me feel like I need to go to therapy for all my anxiety or something :rolleyes:

I think the way we are feeling is perfectly normal.. although it sucks! I check my email constantly... call my moms house to see if she checked the mail 2-3x a day (she's going to kill me soon).. check SDN non stop... I can't sleep because I lie awake in bed at night wondering what my future holds. The great unknown is really killin' me.

BUT then I look at a lot of the C/O 2015 threads and I feel a lot (somewhat) better. People make these exact same posts every year and then a month later they have 3 interviews! I just keep telling myself that feeling like this is all part of the process, and good things (GREAT THINGS) will come in due time!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, at least you three do not know if you will get interviews or not.
The only way I am getting an interview is if I rock the GRE in January. Based on my previous two performances, that likely will not happen.
I already have several back-up plans in place and am already planning my approach to get an interview for CO 2016 and CO 2017.

Damn you, chemistry! If it were not for you kicking me butt, I would have the average to get an interview. :laugh:.

I might not be welcome here since I already interviewed :), but thought I'd post to say that it doesn't end at the interview. Far from it, I am way more anxious and nervous about admissions now then before my interview. After the interview and some others that were with you that same day interviewing start getting their acceptances, it is like a million times worse :scared:. You mull over all the things you should have said or could have added and wonder why in the world they wouldn't want to call you and accept you too. I have come to terms with the fact that I have done all I can and that things will turn out the way they should, which I hope will be an acceptance. But if not, I did everything I could and am at peace with it. You guys too have done everything you could do. All that is left is to wait patiently and see how things turn out. Worrying and getting nervous about it is unavoidable, it just shows that it is important to you, but don't let it take over your life. Go hang out with friends, study for classes, do everything you would normally do. Checking your email 20X a day and your phone all the time (I don't know of anyone that calls for interview invites so it should be in your email) isn't gonna get you anywhere but anxious and freaked out. I have limitted myself to checking the OSU page to see if my status has changed to just one time a day in the evening after 5. I doubt it will change before I get a phone call, but I check nonetheless. I think it's important to find a balance so the anxiety doesn't take over your life! I will admit it ruled me for about 4 days after the interview, but I have let it go now.

I might not be welcome here since I already interviewed :), but thought I'd post to say that it doesn't end at the interview. Far from it, I am way more anxious and nervous about admissions now then before my interview. After the interview and some others that were with you that same day interviewing start getting their acceptances, it is like a million times worse :scared:. You mull over all the things you should have said or could have added and wonder why in the world they wouldn't want to call you and accept you too. I have come to terms with the fact that I have done all I can and that things will turn out the way they should, which I hope will be an acceptance. But if not, I did everything I could and am at peace with it. You guys too have done everything you could do. All that is left is to wait patiently and see how things turn out. Worrying and getting nervous about it is unavoidable, it just shows that it is important to you, but don't let it take over your life. Go hang out with friends, study for classes, do everything you would normally do. Checking your email 20X a day and your phone all the time (I don't know of anyone that calls for interview invites so it should be in your email) isn't gonna get you anywhere but anxious and freaked out. I have limitted myself to checking the OSU page to see if my status has changed to just one time a day in the evening after 5. I doubt it will change before I get a phone call, but I check nonetheless. I think it's important to find a balance so the anxiety doesn't take over your life! I will admit it ruled me for about 4 days after the interview, but I have let it go now.

Of course you're still welcome! It's an admissions related rant/worry! And I definitely agree with you that doesn't end after an interview. I haven't interviewed yet this year, but I remember being extremely anxious last year and kept checking for my phone to see if any of the schools had called.

I'm currently stressing myself out cause I unrealistically hoped that maybe I would get earlier interviews this time around or just get accepted to the schools I got wait listed at last year. I know it doesn't work that way, but a tiny little part of me hoped it would...although I would probably need a miracle. Now I'm just trying to let go of all expectations, which is hard when I will receive an admission/rejection notice next month. =/

I am right there with all of you. I applied to 7 schools and 3 of them have already started sending out interview invites. It is driving me crazy, even more so because this is my third year applying and I know this is only the beginning. It gets much worse after the interview waiting for an acceptance. It gets a billion times worse when you are waitlisted and sitting on pins and needles hoping each day that you will get a call/email saying they are accepting you. I just hope that this is my year. I keep trying to tell myself, "Third time is the charm," "It isn't over until you have a rejection letter," etc, etc. But it doesn't help much when I see everyone else getting their interview invites and I am still sitting here empty handed, refreshing my email every 2.5 seconds and refreshing SDN every 5 seconds. I am trying not to get too discouraged, but some days are harder than others. Good Luck to everyone else sitting in the dark with me, hoping and wishing for the best. :luck:

Does OSU have open or closed interviews? I have been stressing out so much. It doesn't help having email on my phone. I am constantly refreshing (which doesn't help poor phones battery life). I just want to hear back from all my schools soon, either interview or rejections. Last year I got the news that I was rejected from Illinois two days before Christmas.... Merry Christmas :rolleyes: Needless to say it sucked. I only applied to 2 schools last year.

Does OSU have open or closed interviews? I have been stressing out so much. It doesn't help having email on my phone. I am constantly refreshing (which doesn't help poor phones battery life). I just want to hear back from all my schools soon, either interview or rejections. Last year I got the news that I was rejected from Illinois two days before Christmas.... Merry Christmas :rolleyes: Needless to say it sucked. I only applied to 2 schools last year.

I applied to Michigan (they don't interview) and I noticed someone on the board already got their acceptance letter from them! I keep telling myself I can still get an acceptance but it's so hard to stay positive!

Alright guys, reality check:

By this time last year, at least four or five of the TEN schools I applied to had sent me rejections. This included Ohio, Auburn, Miss, LSU, and maybe Kansas.

It's okay. Don't freak out until the fat lady sings (and hands you a thin envelope).

Alright guys, reality check:

By this time last year, at least four or five of the TEN schools I applied to had sent me rejections. This included Ohio, Auburn, Miss, LSU, and maybe Kansas.

It's okay. Don't freak out until the fat lady sings (and hands you a thin envelope).

I HAVE NIGHTMARES ABOUT THE THIN ENVELOPE! :scared:

Anyways, I've been unrealistic enough for one day. Time to go stuff my face with turkey :D

I didnt get my first interview invite until Dec 3rd. And had spent most of the month of November watching the interview invite list grow and being upset that I wasn't on there. I recieved a KSU invite on Dec 3rd- they had started sending invites out in the beginning of November. I got an interview invite from Iowa TWO MONTHS after they started sending out invites.
I know it seems like forever ago that apps were due, but it's still early in the game!

Open file. Their interview isn't bad at all. You just chat with them about yourself and try not to get too worked up or nervous :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just gotta say that these next few months will be some of the slowest days of my life.

Thin envelops are the scariest.

Yes, yes, they are. I have already gotten one from Auburn. I am a 2nd timer and nontrad so I feel especially antsy.

I only have KSU to hear from and that isn't looking great either.:(

FWIW, I have 10 yrs in the vet med field. I know what I am getting into and what I want. My GPA is what is biting me in the #%$. So ya'll make sure to do your best in classes.

Happy thanksgiving to all!

Trematode and I are applying to the same school (the one and only school we can apply to without leaving the country). Interview invites are sent out around March 10. I'm so stressed out and I have no idea how I'm going to make it until then. Even if I get an interview, acceptance letters are mailed around mid-June. It is such a long haul :(

Unfortunately I am not as organized or as motivated as Trematode. I have yet to formulate any back up plans. I'm going through some personal/family issues now so that adds to the difficulties, plus impending final exams and work.

It will be worth it in the end, but getting there is super difficult.

Interview invites are sent out around March 10. I'm so stressed out and I have no idea how I'm going to make it until then.

Repeat after me: There's nothing I can do about it now, so no point in worrying.

I know for the Americans who are getting invites now it can be mind-numbing, but ky (and I'm saying this as a friend ;)) there's no point in you worrying now because you KNOW nothing will be decided until March. And I say this as someone who's been there, done that, gotten the t-shirt. Your mental health will be much better if you can let it go until March. By all means, then you can start obssessing. :laugh: (And I will be obssessively checking SDN to see who got invites!)

Your mental health will be much better if you can let it go until March.

Thanks for the reality check, Coquette. I'm just having a really bad week so worrying about this (as pointless as it is to worry) seems better than worrying about other things. I need Christmas break to come soon so I can relax a little :thumbup:

Hopefully in a couple weeks or months we will be looking back on this and laughing, secure in our interview offers.

You'd like to think that, but in reality here is what will happen: You will either get no interviews, in which case you will obsess over what to do in the next 9-10 months before applications are due again, or you will get an interview, in which case you will start obsessing over how to prepare for it. You probably will have a day or so of laughing and enjoying the 'getting an interview' part, but it won't last long before you start the anxiety process again.

:)

Repeat after me: There's nothing I can do about it now, so no point in worrying.

There are two things you can do, and I heartily recommend them. The first is: Enjoy life. I know it sounds trite, but really - enjoy it. Spend time with friends. Exercise. Travel if you have money and time. You will lose the time to do many of those things once you get in school. The second thing is: Start preparing for the next application cycle. If you don't get in, do not be one of the people that quit building experience and being involved in the vet community until March when they got the last rejection. Get even MORE active now in the vet field - the experience will either help you once you're in school, or it will show the applications folks next year just how serious you are about getting in. It's a no-lose proposition.

Not trying to contradict Coquette. I know what she meant, and I agree. But my point is: Don't stop your life just to wait for the schools. As a bonus: If you keep moving forward, the time will fly by and you'll hear back before you know it.

Last edited:
:clap: Yup, this is why we keep you 2015s around ;) I can only agree and re-enforce/encourage the words of my once fellow yearmates. I was about consumed now with stress and worry one year ago. And don't even get me started how I was in January when life really started to hit the fan (waitlisted at UFL, hadn't heard hide or hair from my IS, stopped panicking about my lost interview invite/started panicking about my Tufts interview:rolleyes:, was accepted into Oregon randomly and my ex-bf decided to increase his abuse and displeasure about my acceptance...)...... and then there was February/March where I almost ended up hospitalized (and was accepted at Tufts!)....oh, and then August when I was ready to withdraw from vet school and spent a good deal of time hating on vet school in general and incapable of leaving my house....:oops: But my story has a happy ending: I managed to stop panicking and follow through with a one year deferment. I ended up calming down and returning to where my true passion lies: veterinary medicine. Now I'm just patiently (or not) waiting for ya'll to start interviewing for Tufts so I can meet my NEW classmates:cool:

Really though, 2016s, my fellows, take the time to breathe and prep yourself mentally for the whole process. Deep breathing!!! I am trying to spend my year deferment as peaceful as possible (and, even though I'm guaranteed my spot in 2016, I might be as nervous as some of you anyways.....).....but I'll admit, today was the first day I really wanted to get my hands on an anatomy textbook cause I miss my comparative anatomy class from last fall. I told SJB to remind me of my love for anatomy next year when I'm freaking about my grade in anatomy.....

So, in short: count your blessings!!!:D:biglove: And hope things work themselves out for the best:)
I think the emails might be more cruel to our nervous systems.....

----> Why I love the Canadians <3

There are two things you can do, and I heartily recommend them. The first is: Enjoy life. I know it sounds trite, but really - enjoy it. Spend time with friends. Exercise. Travel if you have money and time. You will lose the time to do many of those things once you get in school. The second thing is: Start preparing for the next application cycle. If you don't get in, do not be one of the people that quit building experience and being involved in the vet community until March when they got the last rejection. Get even MORE active now in the vet field - the experience will either help you once you're in school, or it will show the applications folks next year just how serious you are about getting in. It's a no-lose proposition.

Not trying to contradict Coquette. I know what she meant, and I agree. But my point is: Don't stop your life just to wait for the schools. As a bonus: If you keep moving forward, the time will fly by and you'll hear back before you know it.
:thumbup::thumbup:You tell 'em, LIS!

You're not contradicting me at all, LIS! I should have been more specific - there's nothing you can do about this year's app. By all means, keep working on next year's! If nothing else, it might ease some anxiety about this year because you know that in the worst case scenario of the thin envelope, you're improving for next year. :)

Thin envelops are the scariest.
Not really....interview invites come in thin envelopes.
Personally, I found e-mails so annoying. Getting many e-mails from schools that have nothing to do with interviews or admission. Tufts was the worst offender for me (e-mails with links to TV programs, financial aid information, unrelated programs to attend etc).

I am right there with all of you. I applied to 7 schools and 3 of them have already started sending out interview invites. It is driving me crazy, even more so because this is my third year applying and I know this is only the beginning. It gets much worse after the interview waiting for an acceptance. It gets a billion times worse when you are waitlisted and sitting on pins and needles hoping each day that you will get a call/email saying they are accepting you. I just hope that this is my year. I keep trying to tell myself, "Third time is the charm," "It isn't over until you have a rejection letter," etc, etc. But it doesn't help much when I see everyone else getting their interview invites and I am still sitting here empty handed, refreshing my email every 2.5 seconds and refreshing SDN every 5 seconds. I am trying not to get too discouraged, but some days are harder than others. Good Luck to everyone else sitting in the dark with me, hoping and wishing for the best. :luck:

Emphasis mine, because I am totally in the same boat. I was waitlisted at TWO schools last year, and one the year before that. Screw waitlists.

This year, as a third timer, I am feeling much more complacent about the whole process. "Here's my sh**, just let me in already, wtfever." Not that I'm not a seething mass of anxiety on the inside. I'm just doing a better job of not letting it get to me.

Personally, I found e-mails so annoying. Getting many e-mails from schools that have nothing to do with interviews or admission. Tufts was the worst offender for me (e-mails with links to TV programs, financial aid information, unrelated programs to attend etc).

YES. They'd send all these emails promoting their combined programs that you apply to after you've been accepted... but it's like... why not just send those after you get accepted???? Don't freaking tease people with these emails even before they're in, ESP when they're waiting for emails about interviews/acceptances!

Don't freaking tease people with these emails even before they're in, ESP when they're waiting for emails about interviews/acceptances!

I may have told this story, but.... it's true, I can often overthink things a bit.

First year I applied, the rejection came in email with the subject 'Application Update'.

Last year my interview offer came with the email subject 'Offer for Interview' (or something). So I knew immediately when I saw the email subject what was what.

Then, the final acceptance came with the subject 'Application Update'. I darn near didn't open the email because I was so certain - just from the subject - that it was another rejection like the year before.

Okay, I figure I'll stop lurking (mostly) and pitch in my two cents. Non-trad applicant here, which I think probably helps a lot in being able not to worry too much about applications. At this stage, no news is good news, right?

This is sort of off-topic, but several years ago, I found myself in a horrible employment situation, where I truly hated going to work each day. Long story, but I was kind of trapped there for a while. I hate to be melodramatic and say that a movie changed my life (particularly this movie!), but a friend and I watched "Groundhog Day" one night, and I do remember thinking that the philosophy of the movie is sound: if you're going to be stuck in a situation, you might as well try to make the most of it.

So, now I try not to worry so much about the future, and just focus on what I can do every day. I figure my worrying won't change anything at this stage. And in the worst case, I figure I can use a year or so to improve my stats etc, so I might as well start now. Not that I don't spend a bunch of time on SDN seeing whether people are interviewing... And yes, it's comforting that others are also waiting to hear.

Good luck to everyone, hope you hear something soon from your chosen schools, and thank you to those current students who are so supportive of all of us applicants. You guys are awesome.

Not really....interview invites come in thin envelopes.

TRUE!! EVERY TIME I check my email and I have something from a school my heart goes into my throat and I get all nervous then I read the title "Tufts in the news!"... awesome. cool. thanks. :mad:

I may have told this story, but.... it's true, I can often overthink things a bit.

First year I applied, the rejection came in email with the subject 'Application Update'.

Last year my interview offer came with the email subject 'Offer for Interview' (or something). So I knew immediately when I saw the email subject what was what.

Then, the final acceptance came with the subject 'Application Update'. I darn near didn't open the email because I was so certain - just from the subject - that it was another rejection like the year before.

Thank goodness you did tell this story because if this happened to me I probably would have never read that final acceptance email!!

To cope: I've been training my dogs obsessively, redecorated and cleaned my house. Baked a lot of things that I thought I would give away to people. I didn't give them away. I ate them. Started running a lot more....and my normal scholastic and research endeavors.
Also, my school email system is down (And isn't forwarding to my gmail).....oh well, it will just be a week? I am at peace with this today. :cool:
As for getting more experience, I have to start figuring that out....I think I may try to work at a another lab and get some vet er experience.
I think the rest of my semester is so busy, that I *should* only have time to worry about school and my research project...I don't think rest exists anymore.

It sounds like most people are frustrated with the non-related emails that they are getting from schools, but at this point I would be happy to even get one of those. I haven't even gotten an acknowledgment email saying that they have received my application (only applied to one school) :confused:. It makes me very nervous!

The Thanksgiving dinner definitely helped to take things off my mind though :)

It sounds like most people are frustrated with the non-related emails that they are getting from schools, but at this point I would be happy to even get one of those. I haven't even gotten an acknowledgment email saying that they have received my application (only applied to one school) :confused:. It makes me very nervous!

The Thanksgiving dinner definitely helped to take things off my mind though :)

Where did you apply? Maybe they havn't sent anything out yet!

That's what I am hoping! I applied to Oregon State (my IS).

I'm pretty sure Oregon took a bit of time (they only have one admissions person, I think). I found out my status of app in December/late-ish and was OOS. Received acceptance late January but the interviews for IS were well underway!

Don't panic!!!!!:)

Since I'm unable to hold 'group' on the web, here's a little something to help everyone in this time of :scared:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5uPFMTs3I4[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5uPFMTs3I4

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Oregon took a bit of time (they only have one admissions person, I think). I found out my status of app in December/late-ish and was OOS. Received acceptance late January but the interviews for IS were well underway!

Don't panic!!!!!:)

Thanks for the information. It definitely relieves some stress :). I just don't understand why they have to be so slow :confused:.

Just so they can watch you squirm and writhe in agony :smuggrin:

Mwahahahahaha this is it.

No, but seriously, admissions is a TON of work. We've been working on it here at Ohio State since the summer and we're still not completely done. I know the wait is agonizing, but just keep in mind the tremendous amount of work that goes into the admissions process. I'm sure everyone is doing the best they can :)

Mwahahahahaha this is it.

No, but seriously, admissions is a TON of work. We've been working on it here at Ohio State since the summer and we're still not completely done. I know the wait is agonizing, but just keep in mind the tremendous amount of work that goes into the admissions process. I'm sure everyone is doing the best they can :)

I can only imagine!
The amount of work / the number of staff dedicated to it full time = some idea of when you'll be getting an answer. Not that we know how many staff are assigned. Add to that that some schools do not begin processing apps until the beginning of term junk is taken care of, or that some schools must utilize staff on a part time basis rather than dedicate them to admin... Yeah it's a crapshoot for timing.
Though I do think Davis waits till Feb on purpose, they have the staff equivalent to other schools that notify more than a month earlier. I think they would prefer to interview after their applicants have heard from most other schools. But that's all speculation.

I can only imagine!
Though I do think Davis waits till Feb on purpose, they have the staff equivalent to other schools that notify more than a month earlier. I think they would prefer to interview after their applicants have heard from most other schools. But that's all speculation.

It's probably because of their process. Applicants in the top 25% tier for GPA/GRE are looked at first and many are shuffled on to interviews. The rest go to a committee of alumni (I know a Doc who did this) who are trained to go through the rest of the pile for "special applicants". I assume this is for people with varied backgrounds and career goals. Each of these files is looked at by 3 members of the committee and each member gets approximately 50 applicants to look at.

IMO, it's nice to know if you are in the lower GPA/GRE crowd that at least you're looked at more than once. I dunno, it's a school that relies heavily on academic factors when it comes to admissions.

It's probably because of their process. Applicants in the top 25% tier for GPA/GRE are looked at first and many are shuffled on to interviews. The rest go to a committee of alumni (I know a Doc who did this) who are trained to go through the rest of the pile for "special applicants". I assume this is for people with varied backgrounds and career goals. Each of these files is looked at by 3 members of the committee and each member gets approximately 50 applicants to look at.

IMO, it's nice to know if you are in the lower GPA/GRE crowd that at least you're looked at more than once. I dunno, it's a school that relies heavily on academic factors when it comes to admissions.

Well, here's hoping we're both "Special" enough :laugh:

I totally did not realize that Ky and Coquette were having a side conversation with me in it. Sadface.

Hang in there Ky. I made like six backup plans before one worked. Then I had to formulate a much more drastic one once my first backup plan got rolling (and sort of failed). Plan two? Gain residency where the vet school is!*dun dun dun*

I cannot wait for Christmas break. It has been an emotional roller coaster on my end too. It sounds like a soap opera: girl moves in with boyfriend. Boyfriend plays XBox 24/7. Girl wants to break up with boyfriend. A guy the girl has liked for 7 years has come back into her life. Guy lives 15 hours away! Girl breaks up with boyfriend, but is stuck sharing a one bedroom apartment with him until April because boy and girl are poor. Girl is counting down the days until Christmas break so she can see the guy and see if they are ment to be. :love:.

Then there is schoolwork, presentations, exams and conferences. I am more worried about writing the GRE than admissions right now. I guess that comes with getting a rejection and knowing that with my stats, I will likely receive another one. *dun dun dun*

I am wired. I have not gotten much sleep all week. I wanted to ace my Dirofilaria immitis presentation for Med and Vet Entomology (which I aced.) :sleep:.

I cannot wait for Christmas break. It has been an emotional roller coaster on my end too. It sounds like a soap opera: girl moves in with boyfriend. Boyfriend plays XBox 24/7. Girl wants to break up with boyfriend.

Are we living the same life? Except in my case it is PlayStation and football pools :rolleyes:

Thanks for the support everyone. Sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind but this forum keeps me grounded and sane. Especially when I'm trying to studying and the sounds of Skyrim are slowly driving me mad.

Are we living the same life? Except in my case it is PlayStation and football pools :rolleyes:

Thanks for the support everyone. Sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind but this forum keeps me grounded and sane. Especially when I'm trying to studying and the sounds of Skyrim are slowly driving me mad.
I got to know my boyfriend before we started dating because of video games, so I can't let it bother me that he likes them. In fact, I got so obsessed with this one computer game that it drove him crazy. :p When I stay with my boyfriend over breaks, it drives me crazy that he is on a computer 24/7, but that's what I get for dating a computer science major. ;) On the plus side, I can have any computer problem fixed quickly and for free.

Learn to play along and have fun when not studying. He'll appreciate it, and you'll get to spend time together. Plus, video games relieve stress....sometimes.

Skyrim. Oh my. Everyone's obsessed with it... My friend barely getsnto see her bf lately because of that game.

Is it a bad thing that we've been dating for almost 4 years and I still don't know what he plays?! I know he plays Runescape on the CPU, and some fighting games on the XBox. How sad is that?

He is a computer science major. He is useless at fixing computers. He can install ram, but he cannot tell me how to get rid of a virus or why my screen is suddenly sideways or recommend me a good DVD burning program.
Before we moved in together, he had a LIFE. He had a job and friends! Now he has no job, no friends, no challenging coursework. Just an Xbox, a TV and a computer. It has made sleeping arrangements difficult. He goes to bed after I do. I get up a lot earlier than he does. I do not mind sleeping on the futon. He minds because his precious games are not in the bedroom. But if he sleeps on the futon, I am constantly waking him up between 6 and 7:30am and he does not like that! We have to come up with some kind of working plan by new years. Even though it is like I am sleeping with a crash-test dummy, I do not feel comfortable sleeping in a bed with him while I am currently dreaming about somebody else. It is just weird.

The whole thing makes me laugh. :laugh:. I cannot believe I got myself into such a mess, yet things are going quite well. I could not be happier right now. :D.

I am beyond overtired. :laugh:.

Nice to know that I have a lot in common with some of you out there.
Is anyone dating an engineer?! What is that like? :p.

Is it a bad thing that we've been dating for almost 4 years and I still don't know what he plays?! I know he plays Runescape on the CPU, and some fighting games on the XBox. How sad is that?

He is a computer science major. He is useless at fixing computers. He can install ram, but he cannot tell me how to get rid of a virus or why my screen is suddenly sideways or recommend me a good DVD burning program.
Before we moved in together, he had a LIFE. He had a job and friends! Now he has no job, no friends, no challenging coursework. Just an Xbox, a TV and a computer. It has made sleeping arrangements difficult. He goes to bed after I do. I get up a lot earlier than he does. I do not mind sleeping on the futon. He minds because his precious games are not in the bedroom. But if he sleeps on the futon, I am constantly waking him up between 6 and 7:30am and he does not like that! We have to come up with some kind of working plan by new years. Even though it is like I am sleeping with a crash-test dummy, I do not feel comfortable sleeping in a bed with him while I am currently dreaming about somebody else. It is just weird.

The whole thing makes me laugh. :laugh:. I cannot believe I got myself into such a mess, yet things are going quite well. I could not be happier right now. :D.

Haha, I just started dating a civil engineer actually. I don't think I'll be running into any issues like yours because I live at home and he's currently in his 5th year of school at PSU and is from Pittsburgh, so we have that whole long distance thing kinda going on. So far it's good though. He's not obsessed with video games, but I do have to deal with his obsession with sports, which I'm okay with since I like them as well but don't follow teams as religiously as he does. Hopefully going to a Pen's game in December though when I go to visit (this is all assuming I get off the days I requested), so I'm kinda excited about that.

Wow!!! I guess if you are not into video games, then it's hard to keep up with what they are into. :p There are occasions when I don't even know what my boyfriend is playing. And Runescape is old....... Also, sounds to me like your guy needs to study more about computers if he plans to do well in the field of computer science.

I don't actually live with my boyfriend because we are in a long distance relationship, but I'm sure we would have our disagreements if we did. It drives him crazy when I stay over because I usually go to bed around 2am, and he likes to go to bed at 11pm. During those times, we usually compromise, but we only see each other for a very short time. If I were you, I'd make him move his games into the bedroom and then you could sleep on the futon. You're working hard for your future while he plays video games all day, so don't let him drag you down.

I'm glad things are going well. I'm worried about what will happen in the Spring if I get into vet school. I don't know how a long distance relationship for another 4-7 years would work. :/

My boyfriend (of 3ish years) is a software engineer. Not sure exactly how it's different than dating anyone else outside of the animal field - I tune out his computer mumbo jumbo about the same way he tunes out my gushing about puppies or something. :laugh: We're both relatively computer geeky, but he definitely goes more into the tech-y sides of things than I do, while I range further into artsy stuff.

Wow!!! I guess if you are not into video games, then it's hard to keep up with what they are into. There are occasions when I don't even know what my boyfriend is playing. And Runescape is old....... Also, sounds to me like your guy needs to study more about computers if he plans to do well in the field of computer science.

Most of academic learning within computer science has nothing to do with suggesting a good virus program or building computers - it's a lot of math, data management and programming courses. The building and generally geekery just usually comes with the people haha.