The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I told my doctor that I was a vet student. I do not recommend this.

The rest of my lady exam was spent with her talking about how her cat got cytauxzoon and asking questions about disease transmission by ticks. Speculum + pop quiz = pretty awkward.

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I was at the doctor's office and mentioned it, and the doc actually said that I wouldn't get in unless I knew a senator or donated money. In the Rant thread I posted about a stranger who overheard my husband and I talking about it last night and interrupted our conversation to tell me that I wouldn't get in. I met my mom's boss over the holidays (he's a radiologist), and he said there's no way I'd get in because - wait for it - I'm TOO OLD.

You should show your Mom's boss the following:

http://www.nola.com/pets/index.ssf/2011/11/manhattan_surgeon_takes_long_r.html

;)

I am also an "old" applicant, so I loved that story (in the link). Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were a guy, I'd probably wear a suit.
....so since you're a girl, you won't wear a suit?? I wore a suit....and I'm a girl! (And, if more guys interviewed at vet school....sigh, they know how to wear that suit!)

Soooo not what I was meant to be doing with my life. I was absolutely, 100% miserable. Every. Single. Day.
:thumbup: Best of luck!!! Glad you are on a better track to finding what makes you happy.:luck::xf:

Props to you for having the guts to walk away to pursue something you love! :clap:
Seconded! Kudos! MAZELTOV :biglove: Maybe, we don't need "somebody" to love, but something? Merr??:confused: ;)

I told my doctor that I was a vet student. I do not recommend this.

The rest of my lady exam was spent with her talking about how her cat got cytauxzoon and asking questions about disease transmission by ticks. Speculum + pop quiz = pretty awkward.
:rofl: Shows that we need to be in charge of the conversation - rather than let the conversation take charge :laugh:

I haven't seen an eye doc at all except for one time I got a bit of metal stuck under my eyelid (from reading a book while on my back - fell out of pages into my eye). No glasses. But maybe someday, if I spend some time behind a microscope...
Gosh, TT, I love you, man ;) I would do something like this....and continue reading like this even if I had to wear a patch permanently on my eye. Pirates are always in!:thumbup:

Gosh, TT, I love you, man ;) I would do something like this....and continue reading like this even if I had to wear a patch permanently on my eye. Pirates are always in!:thumbup:
I don't recommend this.... Last year I scratched my cornea and it hurt like hell for a week (i heal slowly apparently.... should only have bothered me a few days).

How did I scratch it you ask? No not reading a book lying down, I was taking off my id badge and the elastic band stretched and recoiled the plastic cover into my eye. :smuggrin:

I carry my id in my wallet now!

I don't recommend this.... Last year I scratched my cornea and it hurt like hell for a week (i heal slowly apparently.... should only have bothered me a few days).

How did I scratch it you ask? No not reading a book lying down, I was taking off my id badge and the elastic band stretched and recoiled the plastic cover into my eye. :smuggrin:

I carry my id in my wallet now!

Good save! I've heard having a cornea scratch is like your eyeballs are on fire. I kinda experienced something similar this past January when I wore glasses for AN ENTIRE MONTH because my eyes ignited when I put contacts in (and then my glasses broke so I went back to lenses 24/7).:laugh: <-----Lesson = EPICFAIL

Last edited:
Dear junk mail,

Go away. You are making me twitchy every time I see a new email in my inbox. Don't you know it's interview invite time and I already have ulcers from the last two application cycles?

Love,
Whyevernot.

And yes, I get those incessant updates from vet schools about totally unrelated things. :mad:

I got a lot of that last year from other pre-vet students. There were two guys working at a vet clinic that I volunteered at that had applied and been rejected 5 and 6 years in a row respectively. They both were like "You had better have a back-up plan because you're not getting in this year".

Yeah, I got that a lot when I was applying. It was pretty annoying, especially when it came from techs who didn't know my credentials and just assumed I sucked. They figured that surely they were much more qualified because they worked in a vet clinic, and I didn't. Like, obviously if I'm not good enough to get a tech job, then I'm certainly not good enough for vet school. They never even asked me about my occupation or previous experiences. This mean attitude was very obvious, and quite pervasive given that all 3 techs at the clinic were applying for vet school (for two of them it was round number 2-3). When I got the condescending talk about vet school from the vet and techs, like "haha, good luck with that," I just acted all dumb. Like derrrr, I dunno noffin but I sure would like to become a vet one day!

Apparently, my friend went into the clinic with some cats in the spring, and of course the vet snidely asked how I'd fared, with the tech on that day listening in. Both of their jaws dropped when my friend listed off where I'd gotten accepted. Vet explained that none of the techs had gotten in anywhere, and that in fact, "even I didn't get in stateside, and had to go abroad" (still condescending, but whatever). Seems like he had asked just so that they can all laugh at my expense and feel better about their own rejections. Karma's a b**** suckers!

So yeah, let the bitter dum dums keep saying stupid sh**. It might make them feel better in the short term at your expense, but chances are, it won't last.

Good save! I've heard having a cornea scratch is like your eyeballs are on fire. I kinda experienced something similar this past January when I wore glasses for AN ENTIRE MONTH because my eyes ignited when I put contacts in (and then my glasses broke so I went back to lenses 24/7).:laugh: <-----Lesson = EPICFAIL

When I was a teenager, I completely blasted my bathroom with raid because of a fruit fly problem.... with my contact case open on the counter. Took my contacts out for the night and put them in the case, then in the morning put them back on...

oh my god. It took maybe two minutes for intense pain to hit, and then I spent the next hour or so rinsing my eyes out with water, then the next couple hours with a wet cloth resting on them. I was sensitive to any light for the rest of the day - remember trying to play my game boy and the backlight being too bright for me. I cringe thinking about it.

Now I just never take my contacts out...

Somewhat admissions-related rant: I am really sick of this stats class urrghhh.

Yeah, I got that a lot when I was applying. It was pretty annoying, especially when it came from techs who didn't know my credentials and just assumed I sucked. They figured that surely they were much more qualified because they worked in a vet clinic, and I didn't. Like, obviously if I'm not good enough to get a tech job, then I'm certainly not good enough for vet school. They never even asked me about my occupation or previous experiences. This mean attitude was very obvious, and quite pervasive given that all 3 techs at the clinic were applying for vet school (for two of them it was round number 2-3). When I got the condescending talk about vet school from the vet and techs, like "haha, good luck with that," I just acted all dumb. Like derrrr, I dunno noffin but I sure would like to become a vet one day!

Apparently, my friend went into the clinic with some cats in the spring, and of course the vet snidely asked how I'd fared, with the tech on that day listening in. Both of their jaws dropped when my friend listed off where I'd gotten accepted. Vet explained that none of the techs had gotten in anywhere, and that in fact, "even I didn't get in stateside, and had to go abroad" (still condescending, but whatever). Seems like he had asked just so that they can all laugh at my expense and feel better about their own rejections. Karma's a b**** suckers!

So yeah, let the bitter dum dums keep saying stupid sh**. It might make them feel better in the short term at your expense, but chances are, it won't last.

I think that's super lame that the techs and vet you worked with were so unsupportive - I guess I'm lucky that the people I've worked with have been unconditionally supportive of my efforts even through my rejections. I hate how vet school admissions can bring out some of the worst in people.....

I think that's super lame that the techs and vet you worked with were so unsupportive - I guess I'm lucky that the people I've worked with have been unconditionally supportive of my efforts even through my rejections. I hate how vet school admissions can bring out some of the worst in people.....

Oh I wasn't working with them. I was a client of theirs (or rather the cat rescue I was with was). How rude right?
Everyone at my work place was really really supportive!

So here's my admissions rant....kinda goes along with the "Oh of course you'll get in" rants...and this may sound petty, so forgive me.

This was my second time to apply and I decided to bite the bullet and apply to Ross. I did so because my bosses and a two former coworkers (who got accepted there) insisted that's what I needed to do. "You just need to apply to Ross if you're serious about wanting to be a vet." My grades aren't the highest, my science GPA is lower than my overall, and I felt like I was running out of time, so I took their advice. And lo and behold, I got accepted, much to my surprise.

Is anyone excited? No. "Well of course you got in. I knew you would." I always envisioned a vet school acceptance being greeted with smiles and "good job!" "congratulations!", etc. Honestly, it's hard for me to even be excited for myself. Granted, I'm waiting to hear from 3 stateside schools and Ross was supposed to be my Plan D. But holy crap, I'm going to vet school even if the three US schools reject me! I'm finally going to live out my dream! And the people who's approval, assistance, and encouragement that I sought the most....don't even give a ****. They're so blase about it....

(It doesn't help that my fiancee isn't all that jazzed either. He won't make the move to the island with me if that's the only place that accepts me.)

Carry on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's great you got into Ross...congratulations! You are going to be a vet! I'm sorry your fiance won't move down there with you, though. It will make life harder down there for you. Maybe there's a job down there for him? But...of course you still have U.S. schools you're waiting to hear from, so it may be a moot point. Anyway, congrats and best of luck with the rest of your apps.

so this is probably a really stupid question, but I am relatively new here...

when people respond to the interview/acceptance/rejection threads and say it was via status change... what does that meaaaaan? :confused:

when people respond to the interview/acceptance/rejection threads and say it was via status change... what does that meaaaaan? :confused:

Some schools set up an admissions portal online wher eyou can check your status whenever you want to (whether all your materials got there or not, if they're in the process of evaluating you, or if there's been a decision made)

On-line notification vs an e-mail vs snail mail.
A few schools, you can check their websites to see what your status thus....status change.

Does anyone know of any good links or sites that have (or previous experience) with interview questions? Types to be prepared for, etc etc?

Does anyone know of any good links or sites that have (or previous experience) with interview questions? Types to be prepared for, etc etc?

If you go to the tab at the top of the sdn page that says "admissions and interviews" you can click on the link to interview feedback. From there, select veterinary and then find the school that you want to know more about!

Jalyndani- I totally empathize. I haven't applied to SGU yet, but I plan to, and I am still unsure if I will get in there. If I do... well, holy crap, I am going to be WICKED EXCITED!!! People act like Ross and SGU are just free for all schools that any delinquent reject can get into and that is simply not true. You worked your butt off and you are going to vet school, which is a freakin awesome accomplishment. Whatever. As long as you're happy that's all that matters. To hell with idiots that aren't proud of you... :mad:

Speaking to the significant other note- my boyfriend is not happy about the possibility of me moving to Grenada either. There is no way he can come because he won't be able to find work. He wants to further his career too. I understand that he won't be able to go but he should also understand why I WILL go. It works both ways...;)

Keep breathing, girl!

I would check out the interview feedback threads here on SDN - for most schools there are a list of questions that were asked most - that's what I've done so far - also if you google interview practice questions you find quite a bit of info - this is actually how I found SDN - I was looking for interview information and google linked me to SDN

So here's my admissions rant....kinda goes along with the "Oh of course you'll get in" rants...and this may sound petty, so forgive me.

This was my second time to apply and I decided to bite the bullet and apply to Ross. I did so because my bosses and a two former coworkers (who got accepted there) insisted that's what I needed to do. "You just need to apply to Ross if you're serious about wanting to be a vet." My grades aren't the highest, my science GPA is lower than my overall, and I felt like I was running out of time, so I took their advice. And lo and behold, I got accepted, much to my surprise.

Is anyone excited? No. "Well of course you got in. I knew you would." I always envisioned a vet school acceptance being greeted with smiles and "good job!" "congratulations!", etc. Honestly, it's hard for me to even be excited for myself. Granted, I'm waiting to hear from 3 stateside schools and Ross was supposed to be my Plan D. But holy crap, I'm going to vet school even if the three US schools reject me! I'm finally going to live out my dream! And the people who's approval, assistance, and encouragement that I sought the most....don't even give a ****. They're so blase about it....

(It doesn't help that my fiancee isn't all that jazzed either. He won't make the move to the island with me if that's the only place that accepts me.)

Carry on.

All the vets I work for say that the vets that have survived Ross (high attrition rate) are most excellent and better than a lot of the vets that come from the US. I think being accepted anywhere is a blessing. Congratulations!! I also think Ross is going to be harder to get into in the future because it's accredited. Just my 2 cents.

So I'm working at our satellite clinic today, which hasn't been open long and is slow. Think 1 Dr and 1 tech who also does reception. Guess how many appointments I have today?
Zero. :eek: Until 7pm.

I do, however, have a 3lb box of chocolates that the crematory dropped off with a holiday card this morning. And I couldn't decide if that belonged in the rant or rave thread.

Om nom nom, I'm going to eat my feelings now!

So I'm working at our satellite clinic today, which hasn't been open long and is slow. Think 1 Dr and 1 tech who also does reception. Guess how many appointments I have today?

I do, however, have a 3lb box of chocolates that the crematory dropped off with a holiday card this morning. And I couldn't decide if that belonged in the rant or rave thread.

That is really a temporal question.
It is a rave before and during the eating.
It is a rant when the eating is done.

Always happy to help out with these crucial questions.

All the vets I work for say that the vets that have survived Ross (high attrition rate) are most excellent and better than a lot of the vets that come from the US. I think being accepted anywhere is a blessing. Congratulations!! I also think Ross is going to be harder to get into in the future because it's accredited. Just my 2 cents.

I work for a vet that went to Ross and he is amazing. Sometimes I feel like he knows more than what alot of In-state graduates know. So don't let others' perceptions bring you down. An acceptance is amazing regardless of where it's from. So many pre-vets would kill for one. Congrats again! :thumbup:

I noticed you're in MA, you must use Angelview right? We have the same box of chocolates at the moment. Everyone has complained about how they aren't very good, but hell, chocolate is chocolate in my opinion! I don't complain.

Dear junk mail,

Go away. You are making me twitchy every time I see a new email in my inbox. Don't you know it's interview invite time and I already have ulcers from the last two application cycles?

Love,
Whyevernot.

Breathe, love!!! Do something to destress (like dance, sing, do yoga, daydream!)Maybe you're just low on caffeine.......oh wait, that causes twitches....
:oops: You need a GOOD spam filter!!! (switch to gmail ;) )

Today is not your day :( I agree with SOV. Be careful you don't regret eating them all later.....moderation moderation moderation will lead to conservation of your sanity & self-loathing later (if acne and weight gain are issues for you. Cause they are for me....and as a [former] chocoholic, I'm trying to cut the habit. eat one extra for me!) :biglove:^+infinity

oh my god. It took maybe two minutes for intense pain to hit, and then I spent the next hour or so rinsing my eyes out with water, then the next couple hours with a wet cloth resting on them. I was sensitive to any light for the rest of the day - remember trying to play my game boy and the backlight being too bright for me. I cringe thinking about it.

Now I just never take my contacts out...
OWIEEEEEE My eyes burn in sympathy/empathy for yours. :( I was doing a lot of LA stuff at the time (and I have some allergies....) so, that might have been what my issue was. My eye doctor told me I had "chronic dry eye" and had me use 24 hr contacts for awhile.....and after that failed within a few days, I resorted to glasses. And, since I'm an avid glasses hater (I get more clumsy when I have to wear them.....:smuggrin:) it was major self-sacrifice. Irony: my glasses broke (the screw fell out) within a few weeks. I tend to fall asleep with my eyewear on....a lot.

Biggest tragedy: not being able to game :( That's enough to make me tear up!!!! Also: STATS SUX:p (I have a story about a biostats class where the teacher screwed my GPA like a jerkface....but that's for another day :))

Ugh........you're surrounded by LAMEOSSSSS (don't take the insult to those surrounding you too personally!) I can relate. Beside the fact that I had an (ex) bf who was a total asshat about vet school in general (You mean, I met you years after you decided to do this and you're not going to change your life WTF!), when I got accepted into Oregon at the end of January, he told me we should just break up and it would be entirely my fault cause I had a career interest prior to him meeting me. FML
And, since I'm such a goshdarn (former) perfectionist and all-around overachiever, everyone was all "you'll get in, you're smart, you succeed at everything blahblahblah" and my cousin (a 2013 at UPenn) said, "I know you're awesome. but if you don't get in this year, don't take it personal." She kept me grounded about the whole thing :D

CONGRATS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE!!!!!:love: I'll :xf: that you get accepted state-side as well. And Ross is accredited now, man. BONUS: it's on an island. In the tropics. Dangggggg - I be jealous a bit :)

I am also an "old" applicant, so I loved that story (in the link). Thank you.

You are very welcome. Someone sent the link to me in support of my seemingly geriatric applicant status. (I probably make SOV look like a spring chicken :D ) When I tell people I'm thinking of applying to vet school, they are either very supportive, or they look at me with incredulity and ask me why on earth I'd even consider something so frivolous.

I have to admit, half way through studying for a pre-req final, I find myself wondering...

Good luck, Bisbee!

If I recall, SOV and I are either the same age, or he's younger. So...... how old ARE you? :)

Well... younger than Jim Grillo, apparently. How about you tell me how old you are, and I'll tell you if I'm older? :)

Bah. I've never understood why people are sensitive about age. With it comes .. you know .. all sorts of great things.

I'm 42.

After 40, the years sort of run into each other. I'm slightly older, but not much. But since we're on the subject, did you find it difficult to go back to school? Probably my biggest fear is the risk of giving up a relatively stable job to go back to school.

Love your avatar, by the way.

After 40, the years sort of run into each other. I'm slightly older, but not much. But since we're on the subject, did you find it difficult to go back to school? Probably my biggest fear is the risk of giving up a relatively stable job to go back to school.

Love your avatar, by the way.

That picture is of a cub who decided to honk the horn of the squad car up in northern Alaska.

There is a tremendous amount of risk (and thus, stress) associated with what I'm doing, yeah. And it's been noticeable to me: I snap at people more easily than my normal self (even here on SDN). I had a comfortable 6-figure salary (not high 6 figures, but comfy) and I was the only income in our family (3 kids). It was a good job in today's climate: lots of vacation, completely flexible schedule, no dress requirement, pretty good benefits. Now we have no significant income for four years (that may change - my wife is going to back school next fall for a master's degree and will likely start working when I'm in fourth year).

Many of your classmates won't understand that. They'll talk about how hard vet school is and you'll sit there quietly thinking "you have zero responsibility in life other than school......." At least for me, I have to concentrate to not let that get under my skin. Most days I'm able to keep perspective that it IS tough for them just because it's more stress than they're accustomed to. They're good people, they just are in a different place in life. But every once in a while it gets hard.

As far as academic difficulty, I don't think age is a big problem. Yes, the younger folks think quicker and memorize better than me. And I'm doing middle-of-the-road grade wise. But who cares? I'm passing and my degree will be the same as their degree: at my age I wasn't planning on a residency anyway. I could do a lot better academically if I didn't have a family, but so what?

That balance has been the most significant challenge for me, and I haven't really solved it yet. Part of it is that I need to be more disciplined but I am so. damned. tired. at the end of the day..... Really, being tired 100% of the time is the worst part of vet school for me. Chronic fatigue finally has a face. I laugh at my old pre-vet school self that occasionally thought I was 'tired'.

On the flip side stress-wise, we had been having repeated layoffs for the last ... decade as our business declined. I survived quite well, but in my mind it was always a matter of time. So that was its own kind of stress. At least doing things this way I know that I took control of my life and made the decision about when to leave. That's a big emotional plus, as opposed to getting booted.

So near the end of my first semester I'd say this: It's harder than I imagined, but it is in the realm of doable. I would not go back and change my decision: I love that I'm doing what I love. :)

One of the things I love about life is how sometimes changes that are out of your control really work out the best. We had been home-schooling our oldest. With me back in school, we (reluctantly) decided to put him in a brand-new charter school opening up nearby, to free up my wife to go back to school next fall. Turns out he loves it and is really thriving in that environment; doing better than he did in Basement Elementary, as we called it.

Ironically enough, his second-grade class had a GI system test the very same day I had an ungulate anatomy test that included GI. He was sitting at home going through his material (which was surprisingly detailed: things like "the liver produces bile that's stored in the gall bladder and released into the small intestine to digest fatty acids" - in second grade!!) while I was sitting there going through my material.

Wow did I ever ramble. Apologies. You always know when I have a major exam coming up because I post more on SDN. ;)

Also, relating to LIS's post......I was really shocked 1st semester 1st year how grumpy I became. I was not happy about that. A bit too much stress at once... moving.. fixing up a house... starting school...getting sick... not doing well. I could have handled it a bit better. But, I was able to get myself on track before the end of the year.

It is doable, but I still question whether it is worth some of the sacrifices it requires at this point in life, especially after I had to take medical leave. Life can be short, but I am not sure worrying about it is all that helpful

Thank you for this detailed response, LIS -- I really appreciate your insight. It sounds as though there are some parallels in our situations, in terms of careers at least. I balance my fear of giving up this "stable" job by reasoning that in fact it's becoming a less stable field, and in 5 years I may not have a job at all. And as stable as it is just now, it's a source of a lot of frustration.

I've noticed in taking prerequisites that likewise, I don't memorize things as easily as I used to, but on the other hand, I have more context to a lot of what I'm doing, and that helps a lot.

It's great to hear that your son is doing well. That must be a big relief. Yeah, strange how life turns out sometimes.

Good luck with the exam, and sorry to make you procrastinate. I'll stop procrastinating myself and get back to work. But thank you, thank you, thank you for your input. It helps a lot to know that there are others with similar stresses, and who are doing okay in the process. Best of luck with everything :)

sorry to make you procrastinate.

I'm doing that ALLLLLLLLL on my own. ;) (Seriously though, I do really well studying in 15-30 minute increments, so I tend to take a lot of short "go for a 5-minute walk" type of breaks. People in anatomy lab laugh at me because I'll go over 10 terms .. over and over and over .. for 20 minutes. Touch and name, touch and name. And then take a break to walk upstairs. It may seem robotic/monotonous, but my lab scores have all been 95%+.)

Thanks, SOV. Hope you're on the mend now. :)

I'm doing that ALLLLLLLLL on my own. ;) (Seriously though, I do really well studying in 15-30 minute increments, so I tend to take a lot of short "go for a 5-minute walk" type of breaks.

Um, yeah... clearly that's how I'm doing things just now too ;)

Oh good, I've been looking for a place to vent!

So as a domestic applicant to Sydney University, apart from filling in some online admissions forms, we have to collect up all of our references and supporting docs as well as our hand-written commitment statement and post it to the admissions office by November 30.

No problem! Got it all sent in (registered post, of course!) on November 22nd.

IT GOT LOST IN THE MAIL.

I re-wrote my entire application and got my references copied and certified again, and sent an second emergency application a couple of days before the due date.

It got there a day late.

24 months of work demolished. And I have no idea if I can re-apply next year (to begin first year in 2013) because USyd is moving to a post-grad DVM (as opposed to the BVSc to which I am applying) and has made no indication as to its new entry requirements - if they require an undergraduate degree in the sciences I am screwed, because my undergrad is a BMus!

Devastated doesn't even begin to describe it.

No problem! Got it all sent in (registered post, of course!) on November 22nd.

IT GOT LOST IN THE MAIL.

If it's registered mail, wouldn't you have a receipt showing the delivery address that you could show the school in requesting an exception to the deadline?

I can understand them saying "tough luck" if you just try and TELL them you sent it... but if you can actually demonstrate it I'd think they might cut you some slack. Did you ask?

Yes, I do have a receipt. I spoke to someone in the admissions office when I first found out that my app had gotten lost in transit and offered to show them my receipt but they told me that they were too inundated with applications to offer special consideration to individuals. I'm going to ring again on Monday morning - maybe see if I can speak to someone different - but I don't think much of my luck. I'll let you all know how it goes though.

Yes, I do have a receipt. I spoke to someone in the admissions office when I first found out that my app had gotten lost in transit and offered to show them my receipt but they told me that they were too inundated with applications to offer special consideration to individuals.

I don't know how schools there work compared to here, but if it was me I would politely ask to speak to the director of admissions. I wouldn't mess around with someone who doesn't have the authority to give you anything but the standard spiel. And in the meantime I'd be ready to overnight (or drive, if yer close enough) a copy of the entire application to them. You did make copies, right?

Youngster. I am 45 now.
There is someone in c/o 2015 here in their 50s (mid-to -late I believe) apparently? Haven't met them, but heard it through the grapevine.

I have a classmate in his mid 50s. He's a pulmonologist (human) and is now a first year vet student. His daughter is in the class a year ahead of us.