The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Time for the daughter to help dad with his homework. I like it.
:thumbup: Kids need to help their parents more often rather than the old "gimme, gimme, gimme...and I'll take everything else you have too";)

:idea:Random insight for defense of procrastination: According to a scientific study (....I heard this via my first prevetawan), daydreaming for a mere 5 minutes actually helps your brain to focus better. :idea:

So, I think all of us who are disregarded as profoundly awesome individuals because of our unfathomable ability to procrastinate are contrarily ahead of the curve. Take that naysayers!:thumbup: :hungover:

:thumbup: Kids need to help their parents more often rather than the old "gimme, gimme, gimme...and I'll take everything else you have too";)

:idea:Random insight for defense of procrastination: According to a scientific study (....I heard this via my first prevetawan), daydreaming for a mere 5 minutes actually helps your brain to focus better. :idea:

So, I think all of us who are disregarded as profoundly awesome individuals because of our unfathomable ability to procrastinate are contrarily ahead of the curve. Take that naysayers!:thumbup: :hungover:

And by that logic, those of us who daydream/procrastinate for far more than 5 minutes are WAY ahead of the game ;) I actually find that I need distractions in order to focus, not sure how that one works...

Members don't see this ad :)
Youngster. I am 45 now.
There is someone in c/o 2015 here in their 50s (mid-to -late I believe) apparently? Haven't met them, but heard it through the grapevine.

I've got a classmate who is....53 I think? He seems to be doing great.

It's good to hear that the older students are doing well. It should also made those who think they're old (and are not...like those in their late 20's/early 30's) stop worrying about it. To us older folks it feels like when a skinny person complains about getting fat (and they're still skinnier than anyone else in the room).

And by that logic, those of us who daydream/procrastinate for far more than 5 minutes are WAY ahead of the game ;) I actually find that I need distractions in order to focus, not sure how that one works...

I HAVE to listen to music. Otherwise I will find stuff to distract me. With music, I can sing while studying and it works much better than finding another distraction. I HAVE to do something else besides studying. lol

I HAVE to listen to music. Otherwise I will find stuff to distract me. With music, I can sing while studying and it works much better than finding another distraction. I HAVE to do something else besides studying. lol

My problem with music is I start singing the songs, and then I start writing the lyrics down instead of writing down whatever I'm SUPPOSED to be writing haha, so I usually stick to movies and tv shows

My problem with music is I start singing the songs, and then I start writing the lyrics down instead of writing down whatever I'm SUPPOSED to be writing haha, so I usually stick to movies and tv shows

I have an entire playlist of instrumental music (not necessarily classical, but whenever I find a track without lyrics on it, I add it) on my iPod just for this purpose. I cannot work without background noise, but get super distracted by lyrics. (Also, I can only listen through speakers--if I have headphones in, doesn't matter what I'm listening to, I focus on that more.) I say TV doesn't distract me, but I've found that I can get work done a lot quicker when it's off, so that's obviously not true for me.
I think it's actually really interesting how certain people can focus with different amounts of distraction or different types of distraction where others can't. Kind of like those people who can fall asleep anywhere, anytime!

I do so much better with music with words. The stuff without words is often way too expressive... it distracts me more. Start playing music from the Harry Potter films and I'm off in la-la land with the flick of a wand.

I do so much better with music with words. The stuff without words is often way too expressive... it distracts me more. Start playing music from the Harry Potter films and I'm off in la-la land with the flick of a wand.

Same here. There need to be words. Otherwise it's not enough distraction. lol

I actually associate some material with different songs and learn it that way. If I hear that song, I think about whatever I studied when I listened to it. That doesn't always work, but sometimes it is helpful to listen to the same playlist right before a test so that I get those songs stuck in my head and remember the material. hahaha

My compromise is usually foreign music. Or something like Lady Gaga where there are lyrics, but they don't really mean anything or tell a coherent story - my biggest failure of study music was a Loreena McKennitt Pandora station.

"Ooh I wonder what this song's lyrics are from."
"The highwayman did WHAT?!"
"This is just so preettttyyyy *listen*"
etc.

Kind of like those people who can fall asleep anywhere, anytime!
I'm one of those people usually! Any awkward position, bright light, constant noise and movement... no problemo for my brain. Seriously useful sometimes but I've also fallen dramatically asleep on my notes studying more often than I want to admit.

Music makes everyone come together and is so universal :D People who "hate" music frighten me as much as psycho serial killers and poachers:eek: I created Pandora stations simply for instrumental, Lady Gaga, Harry Potter/movie soundtracks and all of my other assorted stations. I send gratitude to the creator(s) of Pandora. :clap:

Honestly, when I can't focus, silence is awful. I usually hear my heart beating in my ears or feel the pulse in my....[ah man, I forget the right artery]...mid-lower abdomen/"stomach" region. 20 points from Gryffindor for this serious discretion. I'll try to avoid the temptation to hang upside down in the dungeon as punishment....

On a small, sour side note: I missed the premiere of HP6 on ABCfamily. I tried hard not to let it bother me.....:rolleyes:

I'm one of those people usually! Any awkward position, bright light, constant noise and movement... no problemo for my brain. Seriously useful sometimes but I've also fallen dramatically asleep on my notes studying more often than I want to admit.

Me too!!! But, I have an impressive (or dangerous) talent. In addition to sleepwalking (don't do that anymore), sleep-talking and other things I choose not to mention that I can do in a sleep state, I can take notes. As long as I don't write over my writing, I can take adequate notes.

I try not to let my mad student skillz go to my head:cool:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, right now, I'm listening to all Christmas music cuz that's the way I roll but I've gotten into the habit of listening to Kesha type stuff while studying. Really good beat that keeps you moving and such simple lyrics that you aren't trying to figure them out. Only problem is then walking into the test with a strange urge to throw glitter everywhere. :oops:

ANYWAY. Sorry for continuing this thread's downward spiral. Back to your regularly scheduled programing.

If you are looking for amusement check out ANY post of mine between Oct 2009 and April 2010. I was a freakish ball of anxiety/frustration/fear/sadness. Sometimes the very best thing is to MAKE yourself not read SDN for an entire day. Then it's fun to come back and read everything but your brain doesn't start seizuring from hitting the refresh page on both your e-mail and SDN.

;l'''''o0-p <----------my doberman came and sat her head on the keyboard to let me know it's time to feed the horses. lol. I have been summoned.

I'm sitting here wishing that TAMU would just send out their rejections already and not make me wait till the 22nd...

(Yeah, I'm pessimistic when it comes to TAMU.)

But isn't it your in-state? Then you should have the best chance there, right? Stay optimiistic!

I've developed a serious love/hate relationship with my mailman..

My mom keeps saying, "No news is good news! You're not rejected yet!" I don't know if my nerves can handle it, nor my iPhone who keeps dying earlier each day from my excessant checking of ze email.

EDIT: I just used the term who instead of which for my iPhone. Maybe I should give it a name. Like Sherry.

But isn't it your in-state? Then you should have the best chance there, right? Stay optimiistic!

Yeeaahhhh.....the lower my expectations, the less I'll be disappointed. :cool:

And, back on topic. Anyone hear from KSU yet? I'm starting to dread checking my snail mail for fear of thin envelopes.

Nope. :(

Going off of last year's schedule, we should receive an email next Monday stating that we're either on the interview wait-list or rejected....I guess I'm just going to try and forget about it until then. :scared:

And, back on topic. Anyone hear from KSU yet? I'm starting to dread checking my snail mail for fear of thin envelopes.

I got really excited today because I saw a big envelope in the mail.... but it was for my roommate :(

I haven't heard from KSU, Mizzou, or Minnesota

*I$%&#$@#!#%!!!!! The midterm for my online class timed out while I was writing it. And the timer kept running, so I thought I was ok. Only to discover that nope, when it timed out everything I typed after that point, including most of the definitions and the two essays disappeared into the ether when the time ran out and it auto submitted. I have 12.5 points of 95 possible. There goes my A, and a lot of other things that I needed the A for.

ETA: yes, I know this rant is in two threads. Also, I e-mailed the prof to see if anything can be done but I'm guessing the answer is "no" as it usually is when the course page fails us/questions are wrong/broken links etc.

fromthebox, you make me giggle. (In a good way!) You guide the thread back to panicking about admissions in general but then divert again.;)

Balance, balance, balance, my darling 2016s (and SDN pre-vet in general). If you can't stop hyperventilating, just recall: in a short time (no more than a year) we will be freaking out about being in our first semesters and ripping off bodily appendages (like hair...and skin....). Also, in a few short weeks, we will be at Christmas. Remember to be grateful for the beauty of the holiday and spending time with people you love (even if you happen to celebrate it alone with your assorted animales). Most importantly, TAKE A BREATHER! Everyone will be celebrating on Christmas - even adcoms. Don't hope for an email to affect your holiday spirit.

In short, there's always something to look forward to. Unless you give up. But I don't support that kind of thing :p

I am sure all the vet schools have some kind of conditional acceptance but does anyone know what they are?
I interviewed at FL and hope to get in but my GPA took a hit this semester and I am wondering if any acceptance I receive is just going to be taken away. I am freaking out!!!!!!!

Is anyone else sick of people telling you, "you're going to get in, don't even worry about it?" I appreciate the support, but it just puts more pressure on me, like if I don't get in I blew what everyone seems to think is a sure thing.

Yes I am so sick of this. I feel so preassured. My GPA has taken a huge hit this semester and I am afraid that even if I get accepted they'll change their mind once they see it. I mean FL did early admissions to I quote "get the best applicants" and I don't think they'll want to include me in that anymore!!!!!
(yes I am freaking out!)

I am sure all the vet schools have some kind of conditional acceptance but does anyone know what they are?
I interviewed at FL and hope to get in but my GPA took a hit this semester and I am wondering if any acceptance I receive is just going to be taken away. I am freaking out!!!!!!!

I think I've read on other schools' websites that if you are still taking prereqs when you are admitted (ie, you get accepted but are still finishing a prereq during your spring semester), you just need to pass that prereq. That be really not cool if they took away your acceptance because of one bad semester (unless you didn't pass a prereq). If you've been accepted, it shouldn't be an issue. If you haven't been accepted and they request a copy of your fall grades, then they might look at it with more scrutiny

I think as long as you pass all your prereqs and also pass any classes your university requires you to have to graduate after you get accepted, you're good. The only way I can see this semester's GPA mattering is if you don't get in right away (they told me that they would tell some people they got in on Dec 12, and then the rest would find out later) and then they get this semesters' grades before making their decision on you. However, I think if this is just one semester and the rest have been exceptional I wouldn't worry too much. Everyone has rough semesters.

I'm in the opposite situation. When I started taking organic, my GPA took a big dip even though I was making great grades in everything else. This semester, I had a very difficult course-load and have an A in organic 2 going into the final and the rest of my classes are mostly A's or could be A's if I do well on the final, but one of the schools I applied to does not include fall transcripts in their decisions. I'm really depressed over it. :(

I agree with everyone else. I think as long as you pass the prereqs and meet their minimum GPA requirement, you should be fine, and they shouldn't revoke any acceptance you received.

I'm in the opposite situation. When I started taking organic, my GPA took a big dip even though I was making great grades in everything else. This semester, I had a very difficult course-load and have an A in organic 2 going into the final and the rest of my classes are mostly A's or could be A's if I do well on the final, but one of the schools I applied to does not include fall transcripts in their decisions. I'm really depressed over it. :(

I agree with everyone else. I think as long as you pass the prereqs and meet their minimum GPA requirement, you should be fine, and they shouldn't revoke any acceptance you received.

The only school I've noticed that doesn't require fall transcripts is Cornell... any others?? I'm in the same boat as you!

Don't be depressed over really great grades!! You have to always be thinking about how you are strengthening as a student and as an applicant - worse comes to worse you don't get in this year - you've put yourself in a really great position to show them what you're made of next cycle.

And when you get interviews this year (always thinking positive!!) you can go in and say - "hey I've kicked some serious ass recently, I just keep getting better and better, so you better accept me now so I can kick ass in your program" :)

The only school I've noticed that doesn't require fall transcripts is Cornell... any others?? I'm in the same boat as you!

Colorado State doesn't require fall transcripts. In fact, they don't require transcripts at all unless you are accepted. They just take you at your word and make acceptances conditional on honesty.

Thanks everyone!!! Sadly, the school I was talking about was Cornell. :( It's also always been in my top two choices for veterinary school, but I'm sure my organic grades messed up my chances of getting in even though the rest of my grades are really good. I don't regret applying, though. Their newsletter just said they don't require fall transcripts, so I wonder if they will accept them at least. It is probably going to be too late anyway since admission decisions are made in early January. I'm not so worried about the schools that do interviews because I know they will see my fall transcript, but I am worried about my competition. Many of my friends that applied are stronger in one part of their application than me whether it be experience hours, research, or a really high GPA. I am somewhat well-rounded in my application, and I am very unique, but I am a little discouraged from seeing the accomplishments of applicants from my university and here on SDN. There is always next year if I can't make it this year. ;)

Last edited:
Not to be such a realist but: eye on the prize, darlings. We work hard (sometimes impossibly so) and at the end of the day, if you start to regret it, think this: was it worth it? yes/no. Would I have settled for less? Or am I proud that I did more?

If you can give simple affirmatives or negations, hey, you're ahead of the curve (or at least under the bell....);)

Thanks guys that makes me feel much better. I also found out today that I passed the class I was so worried about. I am really glad that I found this place everyone is so helpful!

Round two of freaking out is about to commence :mad:. Trying to resist, so far it's successful :). I interviewed November 12th at OSU and that round everyone else from here that was there got an acceptance, but not me :(. Now, I see this last round has at least one that got a call, but again, not me. Why oh why OSU won't you just call! Pretty please with sugar on top!

Only a couple more weeks and I should find out, though, I will survive! :thumbup: So glad to have a job I am enjoying now and busy at so that takes my mind off it a lot.

Ugh, every day my freak outs get more and more intense. Three of the schools I applied to have begun sending out interview invites and I haven't heard a thing, still waiting to get all of my application complete confirmations, feeling really pessimistic about this cycle in general, and I have finals next week that I just can't bring myself to study for and a final paper for the worst class I've ever taken that I can't bring myself to work on. This semester needs to be over! NOW!

Ugh, every day my freak outs get more and more intense. Three of the schools I applied to have begun sending out interview invites and I haven't heard a thing, still waiting to get all of my application complete confirmations, feeling really pessimistic about this cycle in general, and I have finals next week that I just can't bring myself to study for and a final paper for the worst class I've ever taken that I can't bring myself to work on. This semester needs to be over! NOW!

I am almost in the exact same boat as you :( 4/10 schools I applied to have started sending out invites - and I have yet to get one! I procrastinated on ALL my final papers (wrote each one the night before). Thankfully, I only have 3 final exams left... but my study process is going something like this:

*study study study* (10 minutes later) "Oh, I should check my email. Hm, no news :(. Well, maybe I'll just browse SDN for a bit (3 hours later - checked email 20 times since). Hm.. I guess I'll go back to studying..." Cycle repeats.

Sometimes I like to through in a nap or two just to switch it up :rolleyes:

I'm joining the club of those who see others getting the interview invites at the schools I applied to. I know...it's still early. But why not me?

Same here :(. It's nice to know I'm not alone! I just can't stand people asking me if I've heard anything back yet. Oh, they'll know when I get an interview because I'll be dancing everywhere I go.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my misery! And spoondiggity-for my it's 3/7 schools that I applied to. It's torture! Meanwhile, one of my classmates has already gotten an interview and an acceptance, granted, to international schools that I didn't apply to but still, at least he knows something!