The Surgical Morbidity and Mortality Conf.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drleog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Department of Surgery has implemented an exciting and innovative program called the M+M Matrix. This program transforms the weekly surgical morbidity and mortality conference in a complication-oriented year-long curriculum. It does it by codifying and distributing the lessons of the conference as a "matrix", i.e. a framework for building surgical knowledge. It has become a popular part of the surgical educational program.
How to medical students and residents across the globe feel about the traditional surgical M+M conference?
The M+M Matrix, based on feedback from many students, has become a powerful recruitment tool for surgery.
Please forward any thoughts or questions to me as this program is adopted by other departments

Members don't see this ad.

Our M&M is pretty much a present and pimp session and then the attendings go around and argue on how things should be done or what's the better way... blah blah blah. I would love to hear ideas on how to make it a little more valuable for we residents.

I am always interested in more educational options. Our M&M is a fairly standard, present the case (by the operating resident), directed discussion with the moderator and the presenting resident, and discussion by the other attendings and residents present. Cases are selected from the weekly list of submitted complications and deaths. Any autopsies are presented by the pathologist as well.

Please post the details or a sample of the matrix, or pm them to me if you'd rather not post them.

I think the content of an m&m conference would have been pretty low on my list of criteria to differentiate b/w programs as an applicant

Echoing other's thoughts...I'd like to hear more about it, but cannot imagine it being relevant as a recruitment tool. Surely, UCLA and Cedars have many other valuable resources to draw candidates/ ;)

At any rate, anything that increases the educational value sounds good to me.