The things people do to get high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

green lantern

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year medical student and recently had a lecture on drugs, alcohol, and things kids do to get high. Learned about String parties, butt bombs, skittle parties, vodka balls, inhalants, Robo Tirring, as well as many others. This got me thinking about what stupid things kids do everywhere else. What is the craziest thing you seen in the ED that people have done or what kids have done to get high?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

About 15 years ago, there was a rumor of "dipping", which was a joint dipped in embalming fluid. People here dismissed it as myth, but, then, life imitated at when people began smoking it in Jersey City NJ. There ain't nothing good that comes from smoked formaldehyde.

Reactions: 1 users
It just blows my mind what people would even try or the things they come up with to get high.

Sent from my SM-G386T using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all didn't party hard enough before med school

Reactions: 2 users
Had a guy the other night snorting crushed lyrica... started hallucinating that someone was trying to shoot him and ran face first into a brick wall

I don't understand 60% of the words in this thread
Am I out of touch?

About 15 years ago, there was a rumor of "dipping", which was a joint dipped in embalming fluid. People here dismissed it as myth, but, then, life imitated at when people began smoking it in Jersey City NJ. There ain't nothing good that comes from smoked formaldehyde.

We called it "sherm" or "wet" in Little Rock. I was a fairly new EMT and ran on a kid one night that hade smoked it. Total Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. One minute he'd be completely calm, then he'd warn us, and go completely nuts. Took 4 fire guys, a couple of cops, and us to hold him down. He was the 1st patient to get Haldol under our protocols then.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

High schoolers. Soak tampons in vodka. Shove it up their a**. Leave it there and get completely s***faced. Forgot the slang term for it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Nobody actually does this. You know how alcohol burns your mouth? Your other mucus membranes work the same way. It's an urban legend. Sure, people might try it, but it hurts so much they don't do it routinely. It's like rainbow parties and everything else the pearl clutchers worry about with teenagers.

I've heard of people taking large amounts of nutmeg to get high

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody actually does this. You know how alcohol burns your mouth? Your other mucus membranes work the same way. It's an urban legend. Sure, people might try it, but it hurts so much they don't do it routinely. It's like rainbow parties and everything else the pearl clutchers worry about with teenagers.
Damn, now you tell me! I guess I should have read the whole thread first.....

It is called a Sherman.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine works in EMS, in the Oklahoma area. He claims kids use cow patties placed in an empty bottel with a small amount of water and left in the sun with the cap on. The water dissolves the patty a bit and then they huff the gas let off by the mixture.

Idk about tampons, but I've met people that have done anal beer bongs. Never doubt the extent college kids will go to in order to get drunk...

Pancakes and syrup: xanax tabs mixed with liquid tylenol with codeine.

That's PCP that they were actually smoking. Called "boat" in Trenton.

Idk about tampons, but I've met people that have done anal beer bongs. Never doubt the extent college kids will go to in order to get drunk...
Yes, buttchugging does exist sadly. But not regularly.
Dr. Aaron White of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism said:
people shouldn't get the impression that it's a widespread phenomenon.
And certainly the tampon thing isn't real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pancakes and syrup: xanax tabs mixed with liquid tylenol with codeine.

That's PCP that they were actually smoking. Called "boat" in Trenton.
And here it is, like I didn't even read your post! My excuse is I'm at "Rock The Arena II" here in Toledo. @RustedFox , you listening??

And here it is, like I didn't even read your post! My excuse is I'm at "Rock The Arena II" here in Toledo. @RustedFox , you listening??

Flippin' sweet !

I haven't been back to T-Town since 2012.
Saw Cheap Trick this past February opening for HEART and Joan Jett. They still "had it".

The best story I've personally seen was an overdose on keyboard cleaner...

Didn't know that was a thing.

The General Sherman, back in the ancient 70s, was a joint dipped in PCP!

So a PCP-laced joint would make pharmacologic sense in that it would cause hallucinations. But there are 2 things I've never understood about "wicky sticks":
1 - Let's say that "wicky sticks" really are weed + embalming fluid. How does formaldehyde produce these effects? I must've missed something in Pharmacology.
2 - A more Pharmacologically satisfactory explanation is that there's some PCP in those "wicky sticks". If it is PCP, why are drug dealers giving away free PCP? Cutting cocaine with baby powder makes sense - baby powder is cheap, cocaine is expensive. But adding PCP to weed? How does a drug dealer benefit from that?
3 - Why would anyone waste perfectly good weed by adding PCP? Never having tried PCP, I must admit that I'm making some assumptions here, but I'm guessing that the average weed consumer who sits down with a bong, a bag of Cheetos, and a Game of Thrones DVD is not pursuing the effects of PCP.

One last thing - let's not allow this thread to turn into something 15 year olds find on a Google search and then say "Damn! I didn't know that you could get high by taking 20 ibuprofen." (spoiler - you can't)

I don't understand 60% of the words in this thread
Am I out of touch?
888.jpg

I have a friend from new mexico says that hair spray consumption is rampant there by native americans. He once saw a guy down an entire can during break at a fast food place in the bushes outside. They do it because it's cheap alcohol..even though it's methanol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I have a friend from new mexico says that hair spray consumption is rampant there by native americans. He once saw a guy down an entire can during break at a fast food place in the bushes outside. They do it because it's cheap alcohol..even though it's methanol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
It's not methanol. Methanol would kill them (or make them blind), so they wouldn't do it a second time. It's mostly denatured alcohol. And this isn't new. Acute ethanol intoxication after consumption of hairspray. - PubMed - NCBI
Mouthwash works the same. Some of it is ethyl, some is combined methyl and ethyl. Most drunks know which one to get. If you're drunk enough, you can drink wood alcohol and not go blind. It makes you WAY drunker though. Again, most drunks aren't that savvy.
Also, since nobody seems to want to actually read anything about tampons.
In Which I Debunk the Vodka-Soaked Tampon Myth
Your vagina cannot get you drunk
A Letter to Parents About the Fake 'Teen Crazes' on the News
Bartender, a Dirty Martini With a Tampon!
Or, you know, actual snopes.
Vodka Tampons

Perpetuating myths does nothing. Fighting ignorance since 2011. It's taking longer than I though.
(and you guys thought we had a bad sense of humor)

From the ED:
We had a guy who smoked some "bad" synthetic weed and jumped off the 4th floor of his hotel balcony. Miraculously he was ok and found by police wandering around in the street, covered in broken glass alerting the public that the aliens were coming for his Penis.

From college EMS:
Phenibut - a soviet era anti-depressant/anxiolytic that's unregulated in the US...apparently if you take enough you get some kind of high. Or you pass out on the lawn of a sorority house at scare the crap out of some girls.

Kava - some weird kind of tea that's got anxiolytic effects and is totally legal in the US. More people passing out in weird places...

We also had someone who researched henbane/nightshade (the plant atropine is derived from), went out into the woods around the campus and actually found some and took it. It took 3 big guys to take him down.

Oh yea last one "herbal male enhancement pills" can cause some craaaaaazy hallucinating

It amazes me wha people will d o just for a high. Granted I am still young.

Sent from my SM-G386T using SDN mobile

Kava - some weird kind of tea that's got anxiolytic effects and is totally legal in the US. More people passing out in weird places...
It has benzo like effects. But it tastes like dirt. I'm not sure tea is the right word for it.
Came from the south pacific.

There is heroin out here has calcium channel blockers mixed in it. not sure what they are calling it. almost as dumb as the people who eat like 200 immodium to get a buzz.

There is heroin out here has calcium channel blockers mixed in it. not sure what they are calling it. almost as dumb as the people who eat like 200 immodium to get a buzz.

Well hey, nothing gets you higher than a systolic BP of 5!

....or should I say, lower!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend of mine works in EMS, in the Oklahoma area. He claims kids use cow patties placed in an empty bottel with a small amount of water and left in the sun with the cap on. The water dissolves the patty a bit and then they huff the gas let off by the mixture.

who hasn't done a little jenkum in college?

Someone recently chugged most of the hand sanitizer from the dispenser in their room

has anyone else seen N-ethylhexedron? readily available online. similar to amphetamine. Known as Hexen colloquially.