The Three Virginia Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHopeless

The Monkey is In
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the three? I am not just talking about their ranking, I am talking more about the general pictures.

* Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS)
* Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (MCV)
* University of Virginia School of Medicine (UVA)

Members don't see this ad.

Fermata said:
All are good in their own ways.

Personlly......I'd rather live in beautiful Charlottesville, VA(UVA). :D

I'm at UVa undergrad. Believe me, the trees and grass get old very quick.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Remix said:
I'm at UVa undergrad. Believe me, the trees and grass get old very quick.
I need to study up on UVa if I get an interview, but... What do you do for patients among the trees and grass? I wondered the same thing about Penn State, but no longer. Huge hospital.

I went to UVA for the interview. The hospital serves a fairly large area and much of it is rural outside of charlottesville (real rural). So you probably get a mix of patients. The area right outside of the hospital is fairly poor and might lend itself to supplying more interesting patients (gunshot wounds, etc). However, you're probably going to see a lot of deer vs. car accidents and the occasional grain silo mishap. The people are extremely nice and the students love it though.

Yeah I guess it all come down to area. I know that MCV has a gigantic hospital, which would be a very good training ground for doctors (Also classes are from 8-12 :D Normal Life haha I can dream), but UVA is higher rank. Honestly still don?t know. I will try for both places I guess. Thanks guys.

i don't know enough about the others, but i can say that MCV is great if you want lots of clinical exposure. for the first two years, they have a course called Foundations of Clinical Medicine where you alternate between spending time at an outpatient clinic (IM, pediatrics, or family practice) and small group (where you learn clinical skills which you later apply once in the clinic)... this is weekly on top of the basic science courses, so you can be sure to get a lot of exposure to real world medicine. the variety of departments and sheer size of the hospital also mean that you get to see and do a lot during your 3rd and 4th year of rotations. one caveat: don't count on the 8-12 days... most times, there are labs or small groups, so 8-12 days are only maybe twice a week.

DrHopeless said:
Yeah I guess it all come down to area. I know that MCV has a gigantic hospital, which would be a very good training ground for doctors (Also classes are from 8-12 :D Normal Life haha I can dream), but UVA is higher rank. Honestly still don?t know. I will try for both places I guess. Thanks guys.

UVA is ranked high because of research. If that is one of your concerns than its the VA school for you. As far as clinical training, it is well whispered among attendings that VCU students reveive far superior clinical training compared to UVA students. It's going to be a tough decision.

ok so maybe i'm a bit biased, but uva does have a good clinical program. if you want to do emergency medicine then i agree that vcu is the place to go. however, for any other specialty people come from all over to state (and out of state) to uva, and most of these are referrals meaning you'll see a lot of interesting things which local hospitals were not able to handle. as far as charlottesville being in the middle of nowhere... i grew up and went to school in d.c. and it's not too bad here. remember that you're not going to be able to party like you did in undergrad. so yes there's no crazy clubs, but there's still things to do.

evms actually has a great clinical training program. their standardized patient program is even used by other schools (georgetown is the only one i can remember right now). they also have one of the only children's hospital in the region, and claim to have a ton of pathology come through. they also seem to be very open to non-trads and favor out-of-staters from cali.

EVMS board scores are really high and the students are very, very happy. You start working with SPs within the first 3 weeks and start working in a Family Medicine, Peds, or IM field by your second semester.