The time it takes to prepare for the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MishMash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, i am planning to take the PCAT during the summer of 2009. I think sometime around august? Anyways, Im thinking about taking Kaplan to help me study, I am not really good at studying myself. How long does it take to study for the Pcat would 4 or 6 months be enough? I am really worried since i am a fresh in LIU, and i didn't learn all those subjects yet =(
& what did you do to prepare?

Please help

Members don't see this ad.

It took me about a month to review all the materials twice by myself, without any review courses. It was about 5 hours per day, 5 days a week.

But different individuals need different time. In my case, I finished my BA in biology two years ago, and needed extra time to review the gen chem materials. It would be helpful if you go ahead and try a test to see which area of the PCAT you want to focus on. Good luck!!:luck:

It is hard to say exactly how long it takes. I think 4 to 6 month is sufficient enough to review materials and do practice test. Most of people that I know took it for at least 2 times, so you do not have to stress out the first time you take. Just come to the test like you want to see how hard it is, and what to expect for the next test if you do not do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the PCAT website it will give you the option of purchasing two practice tests (one is supposedly more difficult and the other less difficult than the actual test). I would recommend doing at least one of them and seeing where your strengths and weaknesses are, then you can tailor your studying to that. I took a PCAT review course and also used the Kaplan book that you can buy at the bookstore. The classes are super expensive but can help if you tend to procrastinate. I studied about 10-15 hours a week for 3 months.

6 to 8 weeks should be plenty.

Dear OP,
You should not take the test so soon. Take it after your 2nd or 3rd year of undergrad so you are most prepared. Review books are no match for the actual courses at your university (gen chem, O-chem, calc, physics, Bio 1 & 2, Endocrinology, molecular bio, microbio, genetics, etc.)
The older you are and the more courses you take, the more prepared you will be. Review books are for those who only want a refreshment, not to learn new material. If you want to take it just as a test-run thats okay too.
Best of Luck.

Being the idiot that I am...along with classes/labs from 9-5 everyday (started studying 2 days ago), I will probably only have 2 good side hours each weekday, hopefully 5 hours on the weekends, and less than 18 days left to learn and cram it all in. Only high-yielding now. Still haven't really bought the books to practice...stressed, yes! But as people were saying, I have to stay positive :) and just focus and do my best.

I will let you know how I do on the Jan PCAT with only 3 weeks to prepare and learn materials, and STILL attend classes (started today), and this is the first attempt at the exam.

Good luck to everyone...I know I'll need it! :D

If you can't study by yourself or motivate yourself, there are courses that help prepare you but its gonna cost a lot ($1000 i heard). I've heard some good and some bad, so it really boils down if you can hunker down and study the material and retain it long enough to take the PCAT. Look into it.