the transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi -- i applied to several transitionals and only got 3 interviews, 2 of which are in the highly competitive boston area. the third is in baltimore, which i'm not so fond of (location, 6mo of ward work). the baltimore program says they usu don't fill, but if i don't rank them, i will def not be given a scramble spot. fair i suppose.

advice on the chances of scrambling into a transitional or surgery prelim in cali, chicago, manhattan, or boston? of the surgery programs, is there a single one that won't feed me (as a em prelim) to the hounds? or should i just behave and pack my bags for baltimore? :(

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all you should probably give more information. Are you a MD or DO? Are you looking for a transitional year because this for a osteopathic intern year, you are highly likely to have matched to a 2-4 EM program, or did you not get interviews for EM and are re-applying next year.

I would suggest that if you are likely matching to a 2-4 EM program that you contact the PD at the place you think you will be at and maybe they can give you some advice.

Unless you are masochistic I would highly discourage a surgery prelim year. I would think that the Baltimore position that you have 6 mo of wards at would be cush compared to a surgery prelim year which would likely have 9-10 call months associated with it. People could disagree but I personally feel that a year of surgical scut would not prepare you all that well for your EM intern year.

If you are a DO and looking to complete an osteopathic intern year before starting your EM residency then there are probably a couple of people here who could help, unfortunately I know nothing about that.

thanks for your reply, and apologies for not filling in the blanks. i'm a msiv, md applying first time around in em.

bu's already guaranteed a prelim medicine spot if that's where i go. but bu prelim med i hear is painful. even for medicine-inclined folks.

usc hasn't said anything about arrangements for prelim year, but the options they could provide would probably be prelim-med/surg, neither which would probably be benign. i'm happy to work- just want to save some energy for my 2-4 years :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Along these lines, does anybody know if the EM 2-4 programs allow you to do a transitional year, or do you have to do a prelim year?

Along these lines, does anybody know if the EM 2-4 programs allow you to do a transitional year, or do you have to do a prelim year?

usually you can do what you want. the exception that i know of is UCSD which requires you to do your internship at Scripps