The trouble with Louisiana and DO's

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Choirgrl05, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Choirgrl05

Choirgrl05 Member

I'm starting NOVA in the fall and so far out of all of my friends here in LA, I'm the only one who even considered applying to osteopathic schools. The fact is that most pre-med here never hear about them. I found out for myself and the more I heard about it, the more excited I was about it. What is the story, why are there no DO's in LA. Is there any problems with licensing or something of that nature. I'm very curious.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi there,

I suggest reading, Norman Gevitz, The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America.

You may find your answer. This is book is one of those books you'll be reading in osteopathic medical school anyway... at least come across it. Have fun reading

4. Pilot

Pilot Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Part of the problem has to do with the licensing requirements required by the State of Louisiana. The state would only accept the USMLE for licensure, and all osteopathic schools require the COMLEX. Therefore in order to obtain a license in Louisiana the student would have to fork over twice as much money and go through 2 grueling licensing exams. Louisiana is the last state to acknowledge the COMLEX as a medical licensing exam.

I believe the state began accepting the COMLEX recently, but I do not know the effective date of change for licensure requirements.