The Truth About St. Christopher?s College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG_MDtobe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Truth About St. Christopher?s College of Medicine:

1. The professor that the 1st semester students have for Embryology is Dr. Shakil. Dr. Shakil has her M.D from Pakistan and did a residency in Internal Medicine their as well. She does not have a PhD in any of the life sciences and has not participated in a residency that involves a significant exposure to any clinical aspects of Embryology (i.e. OB/GYN, Family Practice, etc?) It is not known to the students whether Dr. Shakil actually took Embryology as a medical student although it is assumed she did. Dr. Shakil?s exposures to matters of Embryology are generally not different from any medical student that just graduated from medical school. Dr. Shakil is often not able to answer questions brought by the students regarding the subject matter as her knowledge of the topic she teaches is rather limited. Dr. Shakil also does not have any substantial European or American clinical exposure. Is she really qualified to be teaching this class??

2. The professor that the 1st semester students have for Cell Biology is Dr. Gray. Dr. Gray has a PhD in Microbiology. Although Dr. Gray does have a PhD in the life sciences, it is not in the area of molecular or cytobiology. Dr. Gray is sometimes incapable of answering questions relating to the subject material. This is possibly because he is teaching outside his area of expertise.

3. The professor that the 1st semester students have for one portion of Histology is Dr. Shawer. Dr. Shawer is an M.D from Egypt that did her residency and practiced as an OB/GYN. She does not have a PhD in any of the life sciences and has not participated in a residency that involves a significant exposure to any clinical aspects of Histology (i.e. Pathology). Dr. Shawer also doubles as one of the General Pathology professors. Dr. Shawer?s exposures to matters of Histology and Pathology are generally not different from that of any medical student that just graduated from medical school. Having a professor teach multiple subjects outside their area of expertise could present a problem for St. Chris getting approved in various states (i.e. New York) Dr. Shawer also does not have any substantial European or American clinical exposure. Is she really qualified to be teaching this Histology class??

4. The professor that the 1st semester students have for Ethics is Dr. Hameed. Dr. Hameed is another M.D from Southern Asia. Dr. Hameed does not have any degree or qualifications in the fields of ethics or law. Dr. Hameed also triples as the Genetics professor, as well as one of the Physical Diagnosis professors. Having a professor teach multiple subjects outside their area of expertise could present a problem for St. Chris getting approved in various states (i.e. New York.) Dr. Hameed also does not have any substantial European or American clinical exposure. Is she really qualified to be teaching this Ethics class??

5. The sound system that the current 1st semester students use in order to hear the professor is actually a Karaoke Machine with a wireless microphone attachment!

karaoke.jpg

6. The classrooms for St. Christopher?s are indeed situated above a Pizza Hut in the Town Centre. The windows on the upper floor of the building that can be seen above the Pizza Hut are indeed the windows of the St. Chris classrooms.

pizzahut.jpg

7. St. Christopher?s currently does not have a library of any kind or type. The only books currently available to the students through the school are a single copy of a textbook for any class that is currently being taught.

8. There are currently no labs of any kind (for classes or research) for the students to work in at St. Christopher?s.

9. Students do not have any anatomical specimens or models to work with besides one plastic skeleton and a second plastic anatomical model that contains various removable plastic organs. The students do not have access to actual bones except while at King?s college of Medicine during Anatomy Laboratory.

10. The computer laboratory at St. Christopher?s consists of 5 computer systems with no printers or other computer peripherals of any kind. The 5 computer systems connect to the internet via a wireless network that is only operational less than half of the time.

11. There is no new building for the students. The new building that was intended for the students was decided against. The only new structure that St. Christopher?s is currently attempting to purchase is a small building across the street to move the faculty into. No classes will be held in this structure. The current student building behind and above the Pizza Hut is going to be used for at least the next five years.

12. St. Christopher?s no longer has any association with the University of Luton or any other institution of higher education except for the Anatomy and Neuroanatomy Dissection that takes place at Guys, Kings, Thomas (GKT) College in London. Although previous semesters of students have had access to the University of Luton's Library, Computer Area, Study Areas, and Laboratories, the administration of the school has discontinued this association without any proper replacement.

13. If you express an opinion about this school that the owners of St. Christopher?s do not agree with, and they can determine who you are, you will be threatened and coerced into towing the party line or told to leave. This is the reason that many students on this forum post anonymously because of the potential horrific repercussions that can occur if one was found to be telling the truth about St. Christopher?s anywhere.

14. St. Christopher?s no longer offers hospital access from the first semester. The first opportunity that the students have for patient access is during the 4th semester as part of one of their classes.

15. St. Christopher?s webpage is severely out of date and represents various things that are blatantly no longer true. This webpage should no longer be trusted to provide any truthful or factual information about the medical college.

16. St. Christopher?s administration promise many things, but many of these things often turn out not to be true or remain to be seen. Please keep this in mind ?A promise is just words and nothing more until what was promised materializes? and we have yet to see any of the promises made by the St. Chris administration bear fruit.

Some people on this site you should watch out for that are from St. Chris are mtt, bts4202, and futrphysician. The first two are moderators on the St. Chris forum and are paid by St. Chris to make sure that certain controversial material never reaches the public. Futrphysician has been known to outright lie on these forums in order to protect the school and is also a SGA Class rep which ties him to the administration of the school. As you can imagine all three of these people have something to gain by censoring the people of these forums with regard to matters involving St. Chris and everything to lose if they don't. Heed their words at your own peril

Members don't see this ad.

Where is this ridicoulous school located and why applies anybody there?

WOW!!!!
I 1st heard about this in undergrad when someone in this pre-med org I was in, was applying there. Luckily they ended up not going. That is really crazy!!

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_MDtobe -- certainly an indictment, but...

Why did you not reveal your affiliation? How do you know all these things (i.e., why not list your sources), for example about the professors' backgrounds and the particulars of their training (1,2,3,4)? Why make allusions to training deficits that you admittedly can't substantiate (e.g., 1:"It is not known...")? Does any professor anywhere know the answer to all questions posed in his/her field? Where'd you come up with the 50% down time for Internet (10)? Why make characterizations without examples (e.g., 13,15,16)?

How could you possibly know:

The first two are moderators on the St. Chris forum and are paid by St. Chris to make sure that certain controversial material never reaches the public.

Basically, if the problems you're listing are real, you have done an extremely poor job of exposing them.

-pitman

People should visit the St. Chris forum at ValueMD if they want more info on this. The forum has seens its bad days lately. Prospectives are denied important information on St. Chris' clinicals, residencies and many other important issues.

Not to mention, before people got upset, the forum only contained good things about St. Chris. THe mods definitely have NEVER said anything bad about the school, which makes you suspect. SGU, Ross, and AUC mods at ValueMD all give you both sides of the info.

Originally posted by futrfysician
Its not a chip...its a log. ;) People like you place it there. Your libelous comments about something you know absolutely NOTHING about are both laughable and sad. :laugh: You speak from a position of ignorance. You know less about St. Christophers than I and BTS and many others who happen to be here and yet you spout some sort of line like you are an expert. :laugh: BTS made a complete and utter fool of you with your UK medical line telling us that we couldn't be licenced here when we can. Just a few more hoops to jump thru. :cool:

So here are some critical questions for the expert in you which I am sure will make you look absolutely stupid:

Can you cite Director Bains first name?

Who is the Anatomy Professor and what is his specialty?

Who teaches Behavioral Science and what was his prior specialty before beomcing a Psychiatrist?

Who is Dr. Gray?

Ok, genius...answer away. I am laughing already. You keep digging and I'll keep throwing the dirt back into your grave.:clap:

Hey, come on down to Luton and see it..ask around about those questions....maybe then, you'll end your attacks.:laugh:

I never did get back to the questions that you asked earlier and it looks like I no longer need to. I actually feel sorry for you. I TOLD YOU in more than one post that lies and dishonesty will get you nowhere. Indeed, I would like to take this opportunity to say that the consistent arrogance, lunacy, and general infancy in your posts is what gave you away.....I knew you were an imposter months ago, mate. You're not so smug now, are you? :) The game is now over. Take care of yourself.....and good luck looking for a new job.

IMG_MDtobe, I believe, is a current first semester student at St. Chris.

St Chris students all I ask "Are these pics real"? :laugh: :laugh:
If they are, then that answers it all :p

The post is apparently the perspective of a visitor to, or student or former student of SC, or someone who knows the same. Other people are just as free to make posts on the subject from their own perspective. I of course am not and will not make any judgment about it. As far as SDN is concerned, this is much what these Forums are about. - SE, SDN Moderator.

Originally posted by lotanna
St Chris students all I ask "Are these pics real"? :laugh: :laugh:
If they are, then that answers it all :p

The photos are humorous, but really say nothing to the charges lobbed against the school (what, school must suck b.c. it really is above Pizza Hut? School must suck b.c. it doesn't have a $10k sound system?). It's not news that St. Chris. does not have a large endowment and has in the past had some accreditation anomalies, but until IMG_MDtobe does some explaining (see above), take each of his 'points' with a grain of salt. Note that I am NOT asking moderators to take action, but am asking others to refrain from judgment until some clarification has been made.

Further, if IMG_MDtobe is a current student at a school which he accuses of applying censorship pressures, why is he risking his position with this post, what is his motive, and what are his plans (rectify? transfer?) In other words, give reasons to help others believe him, since clearly he wants to be believed.

-pitman

At first, I thought this post was a joke. I tried to look up St. Christopher in MSAR, but they aren't listed. Apparently, they aren't accredited by AAMC. So, they really aren't a US medical school. The best part was when I found their website and saw this picture. It's the same classroom above the Pizza Hut except from the inside!!!

http://www.stchris.edu/pages/admissions.htm

Originally posted by oldtimer
Apparently, they aren't accredited by AAMC. So, they really aren't a US medical school.

They don't claim to be a US med school. Read the older threads on the school for more info.

-pitman

Members don't see this ad :)
Also note that the only two posts from IMG_MDtobe are this one and the same slam against St. Chris. in the Pre-Allopathic forum. This never reflects well on a poster..

But I'll wait for IMG_MDtobe to respond to my issues before I jump to any conclusions about him (again, people, all we know of at best is two photos, which may or may not be completely accurate representations, so back down -- better yet, read some of the older threads on St. Chris. to at least catch up on the sturm).

-pitman

I was going to apply to St. Chris,

BUT, then I read this forum and I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!

C'mon, really, signs of a really lame argument usually include items that just don't make sense in the argument.

In particular:

why would having a school above a pizza hut really affect the quality of education?

why would using a karaoke machine in lectures be bad? ( I actually think is a positive thing; it shows that the admin are looking to provide more bang for the buck).

Is anyone out there a St. Chris alumni? Can you give us the 411 on whether any of this shizznit is true?

Cheers all,

Silenthunder

well...

i am often over at the valuemd forum, and i can tell you that the post was edited and then deleted by moderators. the reasons were that the profs did not give the poster permision to use their names...apparently, the school belongs to some organization that precludes giving names of profs, match lists, etc...i find that sketchy. if somebody posted the same list about st georges, for example, it would likely be discussed, verified, shown to be false or whatever. but, when st chris is the topic, rarely does a professional discussion follow.

i am not in a position to verify any information. it seems the logical next step of a pissed student who feels mislead by students and admin, though. and i do know that st chris is a secretive school, and the students there are eternal optimists, very secretive and outright hostile on the occasion that less than positive information about the school is brought up.

and i can tell you that the post was edited and then deleted by moderators

Actually, the original post quite clearly states that the poster edited his own post. He has now decided, aparently, that his original post was not enough and wants to spread his tabloid views some more.

People who only speak of the positive and people who only speak of the negeative should be taken with a grain of salt. It seems like someone who has gone out of their way to proliferate extremely negative, and largely untrue, things about a school should be viewed with caution. I can go to harvard and take a picture of a dumpster next to a building and say "hey, Harvard is a dump!!" That doesn't make it true.

Just to address a few issues:

The majority of proffs are great here. They are all qualified to teach and many of tehm have taught in other medical schools around the world and some in the US. I have heard that the embryo proff is not that great, but nowhere you go will all your proffesors be great.

The karyoke machine was bought for the first semester class THIS TERM and only because they complaioned that they had a hard time hearing the proff. The room is not that big and if the class is actually quiet, you can hear just fine. However, the admin went out immediately and bought a temporary solution to their complaint. It is kind of funny, i bet that the person posting is one of the same people who complained about not being able to hear and because the admin didn't imediately put in a $10,000 sound system, they felt jipped.

The pic of pizza hut is hysterical. Not only is the building 3X bigger than that in length and at least 2x that in width, he tried to act as if that is the whole building... a small area above a pizza hut. He really could have a bright career in tabloid journalism. No to mention that several colleges in Oxford University and Cambridge University are set up in the exact same manner that SC is. I am serious, go to Oxford and go to the science and mathmatics college and you will see that on one side of their building is small grocers, clothing stores, etc. I wonder if those universities suck on that basis alone?

actually, i pretty much think the profs sound ok, and who cares about a karaoke machine or pizza hut. it is the issues from point 7 to point 16 that are sketchy.

sounds to me like there are facility issues. considering the privacy policy about clinicals and matches, it seems that st chris expects a lot of trust from the students. everything is "we plan this" or "we can't tell you that" or "come to the school". personally, i think that should be a huge red flag for prospective students. if you trust them, and you go and are disappointed with what you get, i really can't feel a lot of sympathy. more should be expected in the way of information dispersion from a school that is trying to attract students.

just my .02

Originally posted by neilc
actually, i pretty much think the profs sound ok, and who cares about a karaoke machine or pizza hut. it is the issues from point 7 to point 16 that are sketchy.

sounds to me like there are facility issues. considering the privacy policy about clinicals and matches, it seems that st chris expects a lot of trust from the students. everything is "we plan this" or "we can't tell you that" or "come to the school". personally, i think that should be a huge red flag for prospective students. if you trust them, and you go and are disappointed with what you get, i really can't feel a lot of sympathy. more should be expected in the way of information dispersion from a school that is trying to attract students.

First of all, I have looked at Charles website and I do not see any match lists nor US clinical spots or anything else of that nature. Charles university is a long established respectable university that you attend, yet you claim that a school that does not post that info on their website is questionable. I see a contradiction.

as for 7 through 16 and the apparent "facility issues":

7-8 where used at Luton Uni, we have now discontinued our realtionship with them and are building our own labs and library. However, Luton Uni library is still available to us using our ID's and labs are being dealt with now. Labs will be completed by next term and the studnts this term will be able to use temp labs until that time.

9: so what? They have access to many specimens at GKT during anatomy lab. Just because the school doesn't have cadavers everywhere doesn't really reflect the quality of the school.

10: there are 5 computers in the lab however there is a totally open wireless network that people use their laptops with. If we included how many people use laptops as a part of the computer system, there would be close to 40-50 comps. Plus, most people use Imesh and Kazaa to download movies which is why the internet is slow half the time. Stop students from doing that and maybe the internet would be fatsre more often. I see a HUGE difference in when the first semester studnts leave school, the internet is immediately faster.

11-12 are just ridiculous. The building is perfectly adequate when we use both floors and we have gotten another building across teh way for a library and for staff. There is more than enough room. However, now people are free to use the Univ of Luton library with their ID. Healthcare is taken care of by the different doctors offices we use for PD. Healthcaer is still free as always.

13 is just pure consiracy theory. As I said on valuemd, I have complained many times and organized SGA to make formal comlaints and I have seen my complaints and the complaints of my peers corrected quickly.

14 this is just untrue. I love how people who have been in med school for 2 months believe that they know everything that is happening and can comment on an entire class that they have yet to finish. The first semster students will go to the hospital as always. Plus, we go to many GP's in 4th and the hospital in 5th.... as always.

15. yup, the website is out of date and that is being rectified.

16.how in the world can someone who has been here 2 months possibly know about promises not being upheld. Seriously???? I really want to know. Should this person know more than I, who has been here 2 years and seen almost every one of the promises made to me come true? I mean, someone who has been here 2 months complaining that promises are never met just proves that their sole purpose is to discredit a school regardless of facts.

As for this users last comments, I am not paid and would not accept money even if offered. Playing the underdog may win him some sympathy, but it doesn't make his comments any more true.

From what I have heard, St. Chris needs to act like a foreign medical school. They do not give out clinicals or residency placements. We have no idea what kinds of residencies students from that school get. These are two basic questions everyone looks at, and the school flat out denies giving us information.

Originally posted by soopa
From what I have heard, St. Chris needs to act like a foreign medical school.

What in the world does this mean?? Does this mean that SC should start acting like some caribb schools? If so, we will need to start refusing to send transcripts if students transfer, fail people if they upset their proffessor, make it mandatory that proffs hit on students, give out old exams to certain ethnic groups so they can do well on exams while others struggle, get rid of most of our US clinicals, and make our living conditions equivalent to jail with a beach (islanders act like prisoners do).

Originally posted by bts4202
First of all, I have looked at Charles website and I do not see any match lists nor US clinical spots or anything else of that nature. Charles university is a long established respectable university that you attend, yet you claim that a school that does not post that info on their website is questionable. I see a contradiction.

Charles is a more established and reputable institution. Charles has foreign students from everywhere in the world.

Charles does not cater mainly to US or Canadian students who eventually want to practice in the US (or Canada?).

I do not see a contradiction.

Actually, the original post quite clearly states that the poster edited his own post. He has now decided, aparently, that his original post was not enough and wants to spread his tabloid views some more.

A few days before this post, this same posting on valuemd went through deletion by a moderator then disappeared for a few days. It came back yesterday, then forced to be edited and now appears here unedited.

What in the world does this mean?? Does this mean that SC should start acting like some caribb schools? If so, we will need to start refusing to send transcripts if students transfer, fail people if they upset their proffessor, make it mandatory that proffs hit on students, give out old exams to certain ethnic groups so they can do well on exams while others struggle, get rid of most of our US clinicals, and make our living conditions equivalent to jail with a beach (islanders act like prisoners do).
St. Chris has it own quirks. For ex, you must join the secrecy club, regurgitate the school lines, be very pliable by peer pressure.

Originally posted by poly
A few days before this post, this same posting on valuemd went through deletion by a moderator then disappeared for a few days. It came back yesterday, then forced to be edited and now appears here unedited.

Actually no, there were multiple posts on multiple fora. As is valuemd policy, the multiple posts where consolidated into one. However, even in forums where the posts where removed.. a "shadow" of the post was left so that people could still read it, just not respond to it. One open post was left in the main forum. I know it would be nice to subscribe to conspiracy theories that this user was being "suppressed", but the fact is that every effort has been made so that this person could speak his mind as long as it was within valuemd policy.

St. Chris has it own quirks. For ex, you must join the secrecy club, regurgitate the school lines, be very pliable by peer pressure.

I give real examples and you come back with this?

are you kidding about the contradiction statement??? really, US students are a minority here, not even 10% of the students. there are only a few folks that have matched, only a few have tried. US clinicals are available, but you must organize them yourself. this information is readily available. nobody is saying "we have hundreds of grads in residency, we just won't tell you where" or "we have the best clinicals of all the offshore schools, but you'll have to trust us on this. spend your money on the first two years of tuition, then we'll show you where you can go".

st chris does not compare to charles in many ways. we have over 20 different affiliated hospitals and clinics. each subject is taught by full professors who have published in the subject they are teaching. we have exchange agreements with nearly every school in europe, and hundreds more around the world. each year, we have students coming here for clinicals. how many exchange students rotate through st chris' hospitals? ha! we don't hide our clinicals because we are scared of schools stealing them, we have our own hospitals!

it has been said many, many times that charles is not going to provide you with some USMLE review curriculum, or get you US clinicals or whatever. we don't ever claim to do that. the school does not market itself as a great school to get back to the states, or as a school with top-notch residency placements, nor do they say they have great US clinicals. it is a medical school designed to train czech doctors. you can come here, learn medicine and apply that knowledge in any place you like. period.

st chris is a new school. rented facilities. i am fairly sure that you don't have a research department, and that your profs do not research in the fields they teach. you do not have hospitals, labs, your own library, etc...trust me, there is no contradiction. with charles you know what you are getting, and there is no chance that next semester any of the facilities will be gone.

anyhow, the point of all this is...buyer beware. if the school doesn't disclose information, and you trust them, then when you get screwed too bad. and, as a new school, with limited resources, you have to be prepared for changes, as exemplified by the termination of the relationship with Luton. larger schools, older and more established schools are far less likely to have these problems. if you are a wise student and you have the option, it seems crazy to opt out of the big 3 carib schools for st chris. if you do decide this, best of luck...

All that and you can only pull a 192 on your boards?

Whatever, I never said Charles is a bad school, but for americans, the lack of clinical info and placement is EXACTLEY THE SAME.

BTW, you know jack about SC. facilities are not rented and we do have research oportunities. our proffs don't do reseacrh in their fields, but neither does any other IMG around. You have a chip on your shoulder, however you recently proved taht all the boasting about charles was misplaced.

nice comeback. yeah, i did get a 192. too bad for me. but, hey i passed. and, unlike your schools students, i actually post my results, and with a name attached to it.

as far as what we say about clinical placements and residency, it is far from the same. first, we have a list, in our catalog and on the website of all our faculty and our clinical sites. no, there are none in the US. but, if there were, we would disclose them. second, we do not use this as a marketting tool, and then refuse to disclose it.

and, st chris owns the building with the pizza hut? well, that is cool then, my bad. sorry about the rental statement, that is what i thought was the case.

way to resort to personal attacks, though. childish, but about what i expect from st chris by now. let me know how you do on the boards, when you take them. karma, my freind. seems a dangerous game to mock me for my results when you have yet to sit for them...best of luck on the test!

Good job on the bashing. A moderator like you now resorts to bashing other medical schools? Caught.

What does that mean? Means to prove your track record, prove your Step 1 results, display clinicals.....just like the big 3 caribbean schools do. American students want to see US clinicals sites and their residency placements. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

And St. Chris Step 1 rate is unproven. You accept students with very low stats and yet you claim a very high pass rate. Give me a break.

Since you care so much about your school, suggest to the St. Chris admin that seriously need to review how they deal with prospectives.

Good job on the bashing. A moderator like you now resorts to bashing other medical schools? Caught.

Which Moderator where is bashing what??

Some people on this site you should watch out for that are from St. Chris are mtt, bts4202, and futrphysician. The first two are moderators on the St. Chris forum and are paid by St. Chris to make sure that certain controversial material never reaches the public.

This is a lie. We are not paid by anyone.

This is just an immature post from a disgruntled St Chris student.
He came in with high expectations and didn't like what he got.

From what I have heard, St. Chris needs to act like a foreign medical school. They do not give out clinicals or residency placements. We have no idea what kinds of residencies students from that school get. These are two basic questions everyone looks at, and the school flat out denies giving us information.

We will not reveal our clinical sites to strangers because this is our policy. If you are a current St Chris student, students entering clinicals do reveal the sites to other students.

Charles is a more established and reputable institution. Charles has foreign students from everywhere in the world.

Charles does not cater mainly to US or Canadian students who eventually want to practice in the US (or Canada?).

I do not see a contradiction.

Actually, we have some transfers from Charles University.
We expect more next term.

This post violated ValueMD's rules.

We respect the privacy of individuals of will not tolerate anonymous individuals from posting private information about people.

yes, i know the transfers....:clap:

again, i will say, transfers do not tend to be the students that do well at the schools they came from. we have a lot of people that come and go...there is a reason for them to go.

we will see how the usmle pass rate is when all the transfers take it.:laugh:

This is incorrect.
This is an old classroom in the University of Luton.
It was a room used by physical therapy majors.
We no longer use this facility. We have our own place now.

The best part was when I found their website and saw this picture. It's the same classroom above the Pizza Hut except from the inside!!!

http://www.stchris.edu/pages/admissions.htm [/B]

I am not a moderator here, and the rules here do not forbid me to post fact.... neilc says that charles is a incredible school for americans to attend, however with all their great teaching, etc, he only got a 192 (by his own admission). Students here are getting 230, 235, 215, etc.... he should save his comments for what he actually knows about. Plus, you want to say our pass rate i too high? You really don't know anything about SC then. I only know 1 person in the 2 years I have been here who has failed. There may be more, but I only know one. Of all the people I know who has passed I only know one who got below a 200 and I would say I know close to 20 peoples scores. I just got word today about a girl who just finished her basic science last term who got a 238.

The point I am making is that even with all the "research and proff reasearch in their field" , etc. You can still do poorly on the boards. In a school that doesn't have all that stuff, yet teaches you what you need to know, the students tend to do better. Now, if only there was a school that had both, it would be great.

I'd like to point out the post-and-bail tactic of IMG_MDtobe -- if I were to spend the time to research and post a critique on a school whose result were to enflame, and was doing so for reasons other than merely to flame, I'd be right in there when the discussion took off, if not just to THOROUGHLY explain the perceived issues with my post itself! In other words, where's the indication of good faith?

-pitman

Please don't ask that.....bts will tell you all about their one student who did PGY1 in surgery at the Mayo clinic; bts is very efficient and will even include the link for you. By the way, the most recent post of bts is very typical.....preferring to slander other schools to distract you before he attempts to justify the quality of "St. Christopher".

Originally posted by Friendly
Please don't ask that.....bts will tell you all about their one student who did PGY1 in surgery at the Mayo clinic; bts is very efficient and will even include the link for you. By the way, the most recent post of bts is very typical.....preferring to slander other schools to distract you before he attempts to justify the quality of "St. Christopher".

Slander = verbal

Libel = written

Although, neither one are valid in this case.

I am not a moderator here, and the rules here do not forbid me to post fact.... neilc says that charles is a incredible school for americans to attend, however with all their great teaching, etc, he only got a 192 (by his own admission). Students here are getting 230, 235, 215, etc.... he should save his comments for what he actually knows about. Plus, you want to say our pass rate i too high? You really don't know anything about SC then. I only know 1 person in the 2 years I have been here who has failed. There may be more, but I only know one. Of all the people I know who has passed I only know one who got below a 200 and I would say I know close to 20 peoples scores. I just got word today about a girl who just finished her basic science last term who got a 238.

Oh, so only a moderator status will stop you from bashing. Tells us a lot about yourself.

You are telling us random scores. So what? You have no legitimacy. St. Chris doesn't say anything about residencies or Step 1 scores. It's all a secret. With St. Chris, it's only "oh i know this person got this score, and i know another person who knew another person who got this score, etc etc etc etc" You ( and I saw you b/c you probably work for the school) accept students with so low mcat scores and gpa and in 5 years you somehow magically claim to have a pass rate higher than SGU.

NO reliable information from St. Chris.

Lest you forget, this is the (non-slanderous) way that bts brought up the other school:

bts4202 said:
...I have looked at Charles website and I do not see any match lists nor US clinical spots or anything else of that nature. Charles university is a long established respectable university that you attend, yet you claim that a school that does not post that info on their website is questionable. I see a contradiction.

It's perfectly reasonable to show hypocrisy via non-uniqueness of an argument -- if not anything else, it certainly fingers the kettle.

Digression from the original (above) sort of comparison, while should be refrained by bts, is nonetheless understandable given all the baiting (lack of refraining) by others here.

-pitman

Oh, so only a moderator status will stop you from bashing. Tells us a lot about yourself.

You are telling us random scores. So what? You have no legitimacy. St. Chris doesn't say anything about residencies or Step 1 scores. It's all a secret. With St. Chris, it's only "oh i know this person got this score, and i know another person who knew another person who got this score, etc etc etc etc" You ( and I saw you b/c you probably work for the school) accept students with so low mcat scores and gpa and in 5 years you somehow magically claim to have a pass rate higher than SGU.

NO reliable information from St. Chris.

Soopa -- what is this garbage? A school or its students must be able to come up with whatever ev is necessary to prove wrong any characterizations others feel like dishing out?

As to whether bts is "probably" an employee of St. Chris...look up the older threads on this, as it's pretty apparent that such an allusion is unsupportable.

Damn, people expect bts to prove negatives? How about you prove you're not a child molester, soopa??

-pitman

bts...so, most people at st chris get over 200 on the boards, and my score sucks...that is just 8 points difference, my freind. sure, i would love those 8 points, but hey. and you only know one person that failed? i know zero. also, i am far and away the lowest score i have heard of from charles. so, if the lowest score from charles is only 8 points below what you consider a good score....hmmmmm.

and when i post my results, you know it is mine. all i get from you is, "i know people with this and that score". whoopdeedoo.

and, i have never said charles is an amazing place for americans to attend. in fact, i usually say the opposite. if you are american, and simply want to get back to the states, charles is not the best route. the carib schools are way better for that. charles is a good match for very few students. st chris claims to be a great place, but does not back it up with data. no comparison. no contradiction.

just cause you are upset that your school does not stand up under scrutiny, don't resort to bashing me or my school. if my school sucks, then your school must be in big trouble. st chris seems to be bragging that it is accepting students with a known track record of failing out of my school. i know exactly who is there, and i know them personally. really nice people, really not the greatest students. not a single student that passed exams here has transfered. so, hopefully, they can blossom at st chris. (by the way, most schools require that you are in good academic standing at a previous school to transfer. apparently not st. chris...) the fact is, you guys are taking folks that couldn't cut it here. and that seems to be a common thread with folks at st chris. lots of transfers that you brag about. well, transfers, in my experience are nearly always the worst students at the school they transfer from. not always, but nearly always...

good luck on the boards.

transfers, in my experience are nearly always the worst students at the school they transfer from. not always, but nearly always...

I know many people who have gone to schools like yours with mostly oral exams and failed miserably, then gone to a school with an objective scoring system (not when a proff dislikes you they fail you) and they do sooo much better.

i know exactly who is there, and i know them personally. really nice people, really not the greatest students. not a single student that passed exams here has transfered. so, hopefully, they can blossom at st chris

I didn't even know one was here. I will have to speak to him and ask him about his experience and if it is like most other schools of its kind. Failing people during orals just because the proff doesn't like them . Very biased and not objective at all.

by the way, most schools require that you are in good academic standing at a previous school to transfer. apparently not st. chris

Actually, the caribb schools share each others fail outs. Some AUC failures just shift over to Ross or other schools and visa versa.

just cause you are upset that your school does not stand up under scrutiny, don't resort to bashing me or my school.

Who is bashing? I am just stating facts and asking those hard questions you like to talk about. Your facts do not add up. I have not seen any other charles score but yours... so since you released your score less than a week ago, you schools scoring reputation is now drastically superior to SC? That really doesn't make sense. SC has been providing it first time pass rate for some tiime now, it is not our fault if you just don't believe it.

and you only know one person that failed? i know zero. also, i am far and away the lowest score i have heard of from charles. so, if the lowest score from charles is only 8 points below what you consider a good score....hmmmmm.

Where is the proof that no one from charles has failed the USMLE step 1. I do not see that on the website or anywhere like that. I think it should be published by the school, that is an important factor prospective students need to consider when looking at a school. BTW, I never said a 200 is a good score, I just said I only know one person who got below a 200. An average score is 210-215 (US average). A good score is >225.

and when i post my results, you know it is mine. all i get from you is, "i know people with this and that score". whoopdeedoo

That is because very few people from SC want anything to do with any of these sites because of people like you who want to spew crap about other people all day long, then act all offended when someone turns the tough questions back onto you. If you can dish out the criticism, you damn sure better be able to take it.

Slander = verbal

Libel = written

....and he usually leaves the thread if you ignore him.

well, it is not really possible to fail here if a prof doesn't like you. i am sure that is what some may tell you though. the fact is, if you are on your third and final attempt, you need to be examined by a different prof, or even a panel of profs. one prof cannot fail you. period. sure, oral exams are more difficult than MCQ's in some ways. but, students that study always do well. there is just no chance of guessing correct answers, and you can only rarely get away without learning all the topics that you may be tested on.

so, i think i would consider that uninformed reply school bashing. and, trust me...if these folks do better, either they will have undergone a drastic transformation in study habits, or the school is much easier. nobody, and i mean nobody, fails here that does not absolutely deserve it. they give many folks second and even third chances, when there is even the slightest doubt.

speaking of transfers....i know the folks that transfered out of charles, and they all failed miserably. don't know where they all went, but they are somewhere, and at least one is at st chris. and, not too long ago, we got a transfer in. he had passed all of his courses, verified by transcripts. i was in class with him. he didn't even last a semester! so, i he was not even slightly prepared for third year courses (path, pathophys, pharm) after being deemed ready for clinicals by st chris. interesting.

i think there is a point you are missing, too....my university does not attempt to pass itself off as a top-choice for us students. as such, it doesn't even make an effort to claim top residency placements or excellent US clinicals, or great USMLE prep. so, i think you can understand why my school doesn't even care what we get on the test or what it's grads do. st chris actively markets to US students, and claims to be a great choice. well, if you are going to claim it, then you should be able to prove it.

and, i am sure that charles university would be happy to take the academic pepsi challenge against st chris any day. please....you are comparing a your little school with less than 10 years history against a university that has doctors practicing all over the world, doing research in all fields, guest lecturing at med schools all over (including the US), etc...it has grads such as Jan Purkyne and Rudolph Virchow...and you are going to say "what are the USMLE results and residency placement list". give me a break. those states are only important to such a small part of the medical education world, it is just ridiculous.

if you are going to claim st chris is a good option, then back it up. don't try to drag my school into this. my school has a completely different agenda, and it has proven many times over tha it is a good school, even without posting USMLE and residency stats...

Originally posted by neilc
and, not too long ago, we got a transfer in. he had passed all of his courses, verified by transcripts. i was in class with him. he didn't even last a semester! so, i he was not even slightly prepared for third year courses (path, pathophys, pharm) after being deemed ready for clinicals by st chris. interesting.

weren't you just the one saying "don't trust transfers, they usually transfered out for a reason!!" Why would anyone in their right mind transfer when they are about start clinicals only to have to retake path and pharm that they supposedly already passed? That makes no sense. Most likely the student failed here just as they did at charles and they lied to you.

weren't you just the one saying "don't trust transfers, they usually transfered out for a reason!!" Why would anyone in their right mind transfer when they are about start clinicals only to have to retake path and pharm that they supposedly already passed? That makes no sense. Most likely the student failed here just as they did at charles and they lied to you.

well, unless he forged his transcripts, he didn't fail. i was in the office when he registered, saw them with my own eyes. i agree, transfers transfer for a reason, and i am sure he had his...that is exactly my point.

I]Originally posted by bts4202[/I]
Slander = verbal

Libel = written

....and he usually leaves the thread if you ignore him.

I'm not clear as to your point here, Friendly.

Only in a legal sense is slander necessarily verbal, but not sure what that context above is, so I can't tell how you're addressing it...

-pitman