The Truth About St. Christopher?s College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mr. Brown nose, If Ross is that good, why go to Aussie?!See ya all tomorrow. good luck to every hard worker out there in dominica, and say hi to Dr. tweedle, if he still teaches at Ross, he is a good man.

Members don't see this ad.

YO!

What is wrong with this picture?

In the last several threads I've seen about St. Chris., I've seen the attackers make mostly unsupportable or outright erroneous accusations against the school or bts. The rest of the attacks were mere allusions.

Maybe there's a piece of particular history each of you have with the school/person that causes the punches to come out so quickly and viciously, but this thread started with a HIGHLY sensational, unsubstantiated attack on the school, which attack has served only to rally OTHERS to attack the school for completely different and obscurely defined reasons.

Doesn't such an attack call for even a little slack when the response from those affiliated with the school is just a tad bit defensive? But no...then the attackers, escalating in response, accuse the defensive responders of unjustifyable escalation/slander/bias? What the ??

Look at this pattern from a political (or pack animal) angle:

1) someone plays bad cop, throwing out highly speculative, unsubstantiated claims and ALLUSIONS. 2) others jump in on the bandwagon using ambiguous photos as support of some anti-whatever (aka: pro-allusional) agenda. 3) the implicated parties try to respond to the attacks, but now that there's a "foothold" from 1-2, everyone behaves as though the parties have already been proven guilty. 4) Next thread, the attackers find solace and are bonded by their choice to remember only the defensive tone and/or the initial unsubstantiated attack, rather than the substance of the arguments; those on defense have regrouped to build their support; this reactive behavior then seems to support conspiracy theories; the die is caste and the cycle winds tighter...

Of COURSE St. Chris ppl are defensive right now...so use that defensiveness to your attack advantage?? For what agenda again??

Like a damn pack of dogs.

Someone make an indpendent EXPLICIT unhypocritical, verifyable claim against the school and back it up, or SHUT THE **** UP.

-pitman

Merged other 10 or so posts about Ross into the most recent Ross thread.

Feel free to continue on subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by neilc

i think there is a point you are missing, too....my university does not attempt to pass itself off as a top-choice for us students. as such, it doesn't even make an effort to claim top residency placements or excellent US clinicals, or great USMLE prep. so, i think you can understand why my school doesn't even care what we get on the test or what it's grads do. st chris actively markets to US students, and claims to be a great choice. well, if you are going to claim it, then you should be able to prove it.

if you are going to claim st chris is a good option, then back it up.

Exactly. St. Chris doesn't prove anything. Nor does it provide even a hint of information on these important issues that US students care about. This issue has finally hit the prospectives applying to St. Chris and are now questioning as to why the school doesn't support itself better. Do you really think a prospective wants to hear, "Just trust us."

Guys I found this on another forum...for anyone interested in St.Chris you may want to read this:

http://www.doj.state.or.us/releases/rel072500.htm

The defendants told students questioning the school?s credentials that their St. John?s transcripts would be accredited through St. Christopher?s College of Medicine with campuses in both Cambridge, England and Dakar, Senegal and an "office of registrar" in Florida. Students were encouraged to view the St. Christopher?s web site, which features campus photos of Cambridge University, not St. Christopher?s College of Medicine. The actual school is in an upstairs location in a nearby neighborhood.

According to the Oregon Office of Degree Authorization (ODA) and the World Health Organization (WHO), St. John?s University School of Medicine is not currently licensed by government agencies in Montserrat or Oregon and St. Christopher?s College of Medicine does not appear to be licensed or accredited by anyone. In Britain and Senegal, medical students are required to take classes for five to eight years in order to obtain a degree. St. Christopher?s web site offers a four?year program in both of those countries.

Number one: That is from like 1999 or 2000 and teh state of Oregon was wrong in their assessment of St. Chris. There is very obvious proof:

http://www.osac.state.or.us/oda/unaccredited.htmlhttp://www.osac.state.or.us/oda/unaccredited.html

St. John's is still on Oregon's list of Unapproved schools, SC is not!!

Number 2: Go to http://imed.ecfmg.org/results.asp?country=0&school=St%2E+Christopher%27s+college+of+Medicine&currpage=1&cname=&city=&region=0&rname=&psize=25

That is very obviously SC listed on the IMED directory proving our charter and our ability to take the USMLE, etc.

Also see the WHO updates at : http://www.who.int/hrh/documents/en/wdms_update.pdf

St. Chris is listed under Senegal as always.

Although I have not written or responded to posts for some time, this post from IMG_MDtobe has brought me out of retirement in an effort to clarify what seems to be seriously misleading negatives leveled at the program.

Those who are "old timers" on these forums (Like Dr. Durst, Neil and Researching Guy) will recognise my longterm screename, e-mail address and unique writing style. For what it's worth, here are my 2 pence....

Points 1-4 deal with the teaching faculty. As a student that has been with the program for nearly 2 years, I can say that the one thing that has changed the most in this time is the quality, number and professionalism of the professors and instructors. In fact, out of the areas of the school that might be critisized, the level and type of instruction is almost unasalable-it is in fact the BEST it has ever been! (BTW for those who don't know
me- when choosing a "C" word to describe me, it would more likely be "Critic" rather than "Cheerleader").

The teaching staff is young (30's, 40's and some 50's), multicultural, international and made up up both academics (PhD's) with research experience in their areas of expertise and Medical Doctors (MD's) with real world clinical experience-just as one might expect and hope for.

The critiques leveled, I must admit I found a bit bizarre-1) "doubling up on courses", 2) "not being able to answer every question", or 3) practicing in countries other than the US or England. First, I never knew a professor who was lucky enough to teach only one course-that would seem strange indeed.
Second, as an example, medical student might ask a clinically related question to a Ph'D, who may not have the clinical experience to answer - so it would be quite acceptable to say just that, or defer the answer until the instructor can access the appropriate instructor or material. Lastly, while good medicine is practiced in the US, the US doesn't have a monopoly on good doctors!(where we have a big advantage is in medical and pharmeceutical research ) In fact, doctors from other countries may be able to offer more first hand knowledge on many pathologies not seen frequently by doctors in all areas of the US.

As for some of the instructors mentioned: Dr. G is one of the most highly regarded professors at St. Chris. He's thorough, uncompromising, fair, interested and interesting.
Dr. Sh is extremely knowledgable, uses multiple teaching devices to get the message through and her socratic philosophy means you better know the info before you step into her class-having said that, she is also kind and interested in the students mastering the information.

As for the others mentioned, each has brought equally interesting backrounds and strengths to the faculty. If you were to go back to some of my waay old network54 postswith regard to faculty, I probably used the term
the "good, bad and the ugly" more than once. But here and now, the faculty is by and large - good.

Point 5: Whatever you call it, it is a wireless microphone and speaker system to sufficiently amplify lectures, so that no student is left out. I think it is a cost efficient and clever solution to a real concern for some of the students.

Point 6: A misleading photo. Produced not to convey an inadequacy, but just to make the school look bad in a mean spirited way. (which also casts doubt on the credability
of the author of the original post). This photo is only embarassing in that we do not get a 20% DISCOUNT for meals! Seriously though, british architecture almost universaly
builds low rise structures in the city centers and places retail shops at the street levels of all the buildings. It is visually misleading, as the building can be HUGE and DEEP,
as the building that St. Chris occupies is. The actual St. Chris is much, much, much larger than the 2 windows he pictured represents. But don't take my word for it, come and see for yourself!

Point 7: Lack of a library still, is indeed a problem. I still use the Luton Univ. library without a problem, at least for now. I hope this wiil become a priority for the school.

Points 8 and 9: Labs for Anatomy and Neuro Anatomy, are still at Kings and they are awsome facilities! I understand from the former AMSA pres. that proper labs in the current building are in the works.

Point 10: If you have your own computer and wireless card, as I understand it from my friends that bring their laptops, there is no problem. If you have to rely on the schools computers, they sometimes are slower on the network and there are crush times (between classes) but at night, no problem. Also many if not most students have internet at home.

Point 11: I don't know what's wrong with the building we're in. And I can't comment on building plans as I have no idea.

Point 12: Adressed above.

Point 13: I can understand why one would want to post anonymously. I do as well, or at least used to-there are some that do now know who I am. Having said that, I don't believe in
posting for postings sake or to grind an axe or to carry out an agenda or vendetta. Only for informational purposes. If you have legitimate concerns or suggestions, no forums are the correct address to rectify your concerns. You need to address/articulate them professionally and coherently to the person or persons that can affect a change.

Point 14: There is hospital access/"hands on" medicine exposure in a true sense in both the 4th and 5th semester. I think the banner that says "...from the first semester" should be
changed if it hasn't been already. It seems to have been an ill concieved/not very well thought out attempt at recriutment.

Point 15: I have seen a sample of the new webpage format. It is simple, attractive and to the point. I think it will be implented in the coming weeks.

Point 16: No real comment.

I know both mtt and bts, the students most often replying to queries on the forums. Mtt is a top student, super consciencious and a very generous guy with his time. Needless to say he
he doesn't get paid, but responds out of the goodness that is in his personality makeup. He endeavors to provide information where he feels it is helpful. He is interested in the school showing it's best face and in attracting high quality students that will reflect well on the school. On a personal note, he has pulled my fanny out of the fire on more than one occasion! Even taking the time to tutor me on the weekend before an exam. He is a great source for information and a true professional who will make an outstanding physician!

bts, aside from being a southerner (kidding), is another good studnet and a affable and highly motivated future doctor. He has been a source of energy and student organizing since he arrived.
I pity the poor american medical students who are going to be competing with this guy in clinicals!

In conclusion, Yes, let me say it again for the 100th time. In my opinion, all of these off shore schools are flawed to some degree, including St. Chris. We are better than some and not as good as others-hey, it's just common sense.

I can't think of a logical reason for the author of the original post to have written this misleading and in parts, just plain untrue posting. It seems like he has some other issues that he needs to work through, finding the right people to address his concerns to. Alternately, he seems like he might do better at schools like St. George's or Ross.

I'll also repeat, that it's important to check out any school before you pack your bags and write your check! Talk to as many student from the school as possible. Ask tough questions!
It's your education and money. It seems that some people on these forums did more research before they bought their laptop or palm, than they do on their medical school of choice!

Anyway, I hope these clarifications help and best of luck to all!

Duncan MacLeod <going back to forum posting retirement>
The Highlander:"There can be only one...."
St. Chris Student

:idea:

Although I have not written or responded to posts for some time, this post from IMG_MDtobe has brought me out of retirement in an effort to clarify what seems to be seriously misleading negatives leveled at the program.

Those who are "old timers" on these forums (Like Dr. Durst, Neil and Researching Guy) will recognise my longterm screename, e-mail address and unique writing style. For what it's worth, here are my 2 pence....

Points 1-4 deal with the teaching faculty. As a student that has been with the program for nearly 2 years, I can say that the one thing that has changed the most in this time is the quality, number and professionalism of the professors and instructors. In fact, out of the areas of the school that might be critisized, the level and type of instruction is almost unasalable-it is in fact the BEST it has ever been! (BTW for those who don't know
me- when choosing a "C" word to describe me, it would more likely be "Critic" rather than "Cheerleader").

The teaching staff is young (30's, 40's and some 50's), multicultural, international and made up up both academics (PhD's) with research experience in their areas of expertise and Medical Doctors (MD's) with real world clinical experience-just as one might expect and hope for.

The critiques leveled, I must admit I found a bit bizarre-1) "doubling up on courses", 2) "not being able to answer every question", or 3) practicing in countries other than the US or England. First, I never knew a professor who was lucky enough to teach only one course-that would seem strange indeed.
Second, as an example, medical student might ask a clinically related question to a Ph'D, who may not have the clinical experience to answer - so it would be quite acceptable to say just that, or defer the answer until the instructor can access the appropriate instructor or material. Lastly, while good medicine is practiced in the US, the US doesn't have a monopoly on good doctors!(where we have a big advantage is in medical and pharmeceutical research ) In fact, doctors from other countries may be able to offer more first hand knowledge on many pathologies not seen frequently by doctors in all areas of the US.

As for some of the instructors mentioned: Dr. G is one of the most highly regarded professors at St. Chris. He's thorough, uncompromising, fair, interested and interesting.
Dr. Sh is extremely knowledgable, uses multiple teaching devices to get the message through and her socratic philosophy means you better know the info before you step into her class-having said that, she is also kind and interested in the students mastering the information.

As for the others mentioned, each has brought equally interesting backrounds and strengths to the faculty. If you were to go back to some of my waay old network54 postswith regard to faculty, I probably used the term
the "good, bad and the ugly" more than once. But here and now, the faculty is by and large - good.

Point 5: Whatever you call it, it is a wireless microphone and speaker system to sufficiently amplify lectures, so that no student is left out. I think it is a cost efficient and clever solution to a real concern for some of the students.

Point 6: A misleading photo. Produced not to convey an inadequacy, but just to make the school look bad in a mean spirited way. (which also casts doubt on the credability
of the author of the original post). This photo is only embarassing in that we do not get a 20% DISCOUNT for meals! Seriously though, british architecture almost universaly
builds low rise structures in the city centers and places retail shops at the street levels of all the buildings. It is visually misleading, as the building can be HUGE and DEEP,
as the building that St. Chris occupies is. The actual St. Chris is much, much, much larger than the 2 windows he pictured represents. But don't take my word for it, come and see for yourself!

Point 7: Lack of a library still, is indeed a problem. I still use the Luton Univ. library without a problem, at least for now. I hope this wiil become a priority for the school.

Points 8 and 9: Labs for Anatomy and Neuro Anatomy, are still at Kings and they are awsome facilities! I understand from the former AMSA pres. that proper labs in the current building are in the works.

Point 10: If you have your own computer and wireless card, as I understand it from my friends that bring their laptops, there is no problem. If you have to rely on the schools computers, they sometimes are slower on the network and there are crush times (between classes) but at night, no problem. Also many if not most students have internet at home.

Point 11: I don't know what's wrong with the building we're in. And I can't comment on building plans as I have no idea.

Point 12: Adressed above.

Point 13: I can understand why one would want to post anonymously. I do as well, or at least used to-there are some that do now know who I am. Having said that, I don't believe in
posting for postings sake or to grind an axe or to carry out an agenda or vendetta. Only for informational purposes. If you have legitimate concerns or suggestions, no forums are the correct address to rectify your concerns. You need to address/articulate them professionally and coherently to the person or persons that can affect a change.

Point 14: There is hospital access/"hands on" medicine exposure in a true sense in both the 4th and 5th semester. I think the banner that says "...from the first semester" should be
changed if it hasn't been already. It seems to have been an ill concieved/not very well thought out attempt at recriutment.

Point 15: I have seen a sample of the new webpage format. It is simple, attractive and to the point. I think it will be implented in the coming weeks.

Point 16: No real comment.

I know both mtt and bts, the students most often replying to queries on the forums. Mtt is a top student, super consciencious and a very generous guy with his time. Needless to say he
he doesn't get paid, but responds out of the goodness that is in his personality makeup. He endeavors to provide information where he feels it is helpful. He is interested in the school showing it's best face and in attracting high quality students that will reflect well on the school. On a personal note, he has pulled my fanny out of the fire on more than one occasion! Even taking the time to tutor me on the weekend before an exam. He is a great source for information and a true professional who will make an outstanding physician!

bts, aside from being a southerner (kidding), is another good studnet and a affable and highly motivated future doctor. He has been a source of energy and student organizing since he arrived.
I pity the poor american medical students who are going to be competing with this guy in clinicals!

In conclusion, Yes, let me say it again for the 100th time. In my opinion, all of these off shore schools are flawed to some degree, including St. Chris. We are better than some and not as good as others-hey, it's just common sense.

I can't think of a logical reason for the author of the original post to have written this misleading and in parts, just plain untrue posting. It seems like he has some other issues that he needs to work through, finding the right people to address his concerns to. Alternately, he seems like he might do better at schools like St. George's or Ross.

I'll also repeat, that it's important to check out any school before you pack your bags and write your check! Talk to as many student from the school as possible. Ask tough questions!
It's your education and money. It seems that some people on these forums did more research before they bought their laptop or palm, than they do on their medical school of choice!

Anyway, I hope these clarifications help and best of luck to all!

Duncan MacLeod <going back to forum posting retirement>
The Highlander:"There can be only one...."
St. Chris Student

:idea:

Nice to see such an intelligent and professionally articulated post. :)

I want to also address the matter of the leading post containing names of St. Chris profs.

It is a long-established convention that, unlike employees at some private companies or organizations, and unlike students, professors at public or private but open for enrollment educational institutions are public individuals when operating in their teaching capacity (their research and personal lives can be another matter).

Because of this, people will occasionally voice their opinions in public regarding their professors, and will delineate them by name. There are, in fact, countless publicly and privately funded public internet Forums that are devoted to this purpose exclusively. Who among us has never deliberately sought out information about the teaching of potential professors, whether from said public sources, or even from the grapevine that could be learned while mingling in the cafeteria?

Given this, I see it as not generally something for Moderator censure when people post opinions of their professors teaching, and do so using their professors' names. Meanwhile, anonymity issues do indeed come into play and are protected with respect to others--not the least of which are SDN member names.

SDN Forums are forums of and for opinions, open to all who meet and agree to the membership criteria, and SDN cannot officially address the validity/non-validity of the claims of ANY post. It would be impossible for us or any other organization to run an open public forum if that was a requirement. But again on a personal note, it is nice to see intelligent and professionally articulated debate like especially the above post.

Not this pic again! I have never posted on this forum but i just got something to say. St. Chris is an opportunity, its in your hands to excel!!! Who gives a crap if even classes are IN the PizzaHut!!! St. Chris is just an opportunity to become a doctor and if you are complaining u got no right to discourage others to persue their dreams! Goodluck to everyone at St. Chris and work hard and your dreams will come true!!!

1 question though, why is the charter from Senegal, and not the UK, if classes are in England? Not tryin to start nothin, just a simple question, hoping for a simple answer.
Way to go Duncan, like ur style :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by lotanna
1 question though, why is the charter from Senegal, and not the UK, if classes are in England? Not tryin to start nothin, just a simple question, hoping for a simple answer.
Way to go Duncan, like ur style :)

- probably to attract more students; remember there are a lot of ppl in the UK that don't get into med school as well. My hunch is that they started off catering to them...and then found that it would be easier to cater to Americans.

SC has always been catered to Americans. There are a few british students here, but not too many due to the high tuition compared to loan availability.

The school is chartered in Senegal because they were willing to charter us in exchange for our help in their healthcare and education system. The reason we have one campus in England is for the AMerican students. It is extremely unlikely that Americans would travel to Senegal for med school, so England looks really good as far as living conditions are concerned.

The relationship is fairly well developed now. We provide a medical school in Senegal for Senegalese students as well as provide healthcare and basic educational teaching for town people. In england we are working to be more involved in healthcare awareness campains and local community projects. We have been featured in the local Luton newspaper and will be on BBC in 2 weeks. These things have increased our exposure which, hopefully, will also increase our ability to get involved.

I hope this answered your question,

Originally posted by IMG_MDtobe

Some people on this site you should watch out for that are from St. Chris are mtt, bts4202, and futrphysician. The first two are moderators on the St. Chris forum and are paid by St. Chris to make sure that certain controversial material never reaches the public.

Perhaps there is some truth to this paid business concerning mtt.

Take a look at http://www.valuemd.com/viewtopic.php?t=8565&start=20

Originally posted by poly

Perhaps, but that thread does not merit an increase in concern, unless the issue is whether mtt's ever made money off of the school, rather than if he's currently being paid to propagandize.

I'm a freelance tech consultant, I've sold my software to over 10,000 organizations, including several medical schools. But it wouldn't make sense to think that therefore maybe I'm paid to spin image for one of them.

Interestingly, if I happen to like an organization I'm a part of, I'm more likely to do work (volunteer or otherwise) for them.

-pitman

this seems a bit irrelevent to me...so the guy made a few bucks with his computer skills. if i could do that with my school, i would.

the questions about bts, mtt and whoever being paid reps have been answered time and time again. they are not being paid to promote the school. simple.

tough questions are great for any school, but this just post seems an attempt to purposely mislead people, which is just not cool.

this seems a bit irrelevent to me...so the guy made a few bucks with his computer skills. if i could do that with my school, i would.

the questions about bts, mtt and whoever being paid reps have been answered time and time again. they are not being paid to promote the school. simple.

tough questions are great for any school, but this just post seems an attempt to purposely mislead people, which is just not cool.

Well, let's see. As mentioned in one of the posts on valuemd
unless you toe the party line, you might just lose that nice little paid web design project

and
...a website is one of the main recruiting tools a school has.

At least now you know one more connection between mtt and the school and people should take that into account with his answers.

POly, I love how you only post the comments from valuemd that say negative things but never insert the replies. You are obviously a biased person with less than noble motives.

SC does not act vengefully on any student here whiether they stay or leave. I know many people from other schools who have had their grades changed when they decide to leave. It is sad that you are so accustomed to shady admins that this would even be an issue:

unless you toe the party line, you might just lose that nice little paid web design project

Originally posted by bts4202
POly, I love how you only post the comments from valuemd that say negative things but never insert the replies. You are obviously a biased person with less than noble motives.

SC does not act vengefully on any student here whiether they stay or leave. I know many people from other schools who have had their grades changed when they decide to leave. It is sad that you are so accustomed to shady admins that this would even be an issue:

Those comments were negative? That's your perception? Okay.

what do grades have to do with working for the school?

what do grades have to do with working for the school?

Ok, lets try this again,

Originally quoted by poly unless you toe the party line, you might just lose that nice little paid web design project

Originally quoted by BTS4202 SC does not act vengefully on any student here whiether they stay or leave. I know many people from other schools who have had their grades changed when they decide to leave. It is sad that you are so accustomed to shady admins that this would even be an issue:

This thread should be moved to Europe forum (school resides in UK).

This school is a real toughy to categorize best: African charter with a UK located campus and a US located office. :eek: Technically, the charter location should take precedence and I will leave it here--for now--while I think about it more.

No, the school does not strictly resides in UK. The student reps of St. Chris has always maintained that they are a campus extension of Senegal. Since St. Chris does have or is suppose to have a med school in Senegal, this forum is also valid.

Very true, however, since extremely few people on this forum are interested in attending the Senegal campus (french speaking), it is a bit more appropriate in the Europe forum. Since the campus we usually discuss is in England, I think that is perfectly reasonable.

i really think it is not appropriate for this school to be on this forum. regardless of the physical location of part of the school, it is not a "european" school. i think this can lead to some pretty erroneous conclusions by prospective students.

it would be similar to putting ross or st. matthews in the US forums, as they have part of the campus in Miami and Maine.

it should stay in africa, which is the country of the school, or even in the carib, which is the style of the school. it should not be confused with a european school in any way.

agreed. if one keeps repeating "european medical school" long enough, there will be people who would believe it.

I agree. St. Christophers is an African medical School and therefore should be classified as such. Why they are operating from within the UK at all is beyond me and I suspect very few people are aware that they actually are.

I would be interested to find out who takes responsibility for the students whilst they are working on clinical attachments in government-run (National Health Service) hospitals and whether the patients who are examined by them are informed that the students come from a non-UK regulated medical school?

No one at my medical school has ever heard of St Christophers, but then again, their course is not aimed at British students who will usually apply to British medical schools.

Hmmm. Perhaps an Other or Multi-locale forum under Schools and Regional Interests??

I agree. St. Christophers is an African medical School and therefore should be classified as such. Why they are operating from within the UK at all is beyond me and I suspect very few people are aware that they actually are.

Hey, watch the BBC news tommorow at 6pm and you will see a story on us. They came and filmed today.

Originally posted by Stephen Ewen
Hmmm. Perhaps an Other or Multi-locale forum under Schools and Regional Interests??

i would vote for africa or carib...i don't think another category is the answer. africa would be the most technically correct, but i think the carib would fit as well. most students that are looking at st chris are also looking at carib schools, and the style of education is the same. it would most likely be where the most interest would be generated, and i think it would be the most beneficial place, without generating an inaccurate perception.

I don't think that the caribb forum is the right place either. The school has nothing to do with the caribb at all. Just because the set up is similar doesn't make it a caribb school. Although, you do make a good point about where the most interest would be generated.

I still think that europe is the most appropriate place. That is where the campus for americans is. I mean, take MUA for example. If this forum was country specific, you would not put MUA Belize in the Nevis/ St. Kitts section... you would place it in the Belize section. Although it has no charter in belize, that is its location and therefore its regional territory. Plus, I do not think that there will be very many people utelizing the Africa forum and if neilc's interest is in where people will be looking for information, then an Africa forum is not advantageous.

Also, there is no rule saying that a school must be discussed in forums of its charter. I mean, the info about SC is the same no matter which forum it is in. People are not going to suddenly ignore the fact that the website and all official information says Senegal charter just because it is in this forum. The schools location is England, plain and simple. This is its geographical region. Some of you may not like that fact, but that doesn't change it.

well, then i don't know where it should go...i know where it SHOULDN'T go...on this forum!

my opinion is that it is misleading. the only link st chris has to europe is that one of the campuses happens to be in london. it does not target european students. it does not train european doctors. it is not chartered by any european government.

european schools have an excellent reputation, incredible histories, and are well respected internationally. it would bother me greatly if st chris was mistaken to be a part of this group by potential students. the fact that st chris rents some buildings in london doesn't mean it is a european school.

anyhow, don't mean to get all heated about this. it just seems really wrong to me.

...if neilc's interest is in where people will be looking for information, then an Africa forum is not advantageous.

my interest is in ACCURATE information...based on style of education and positives/negatives about st chris, the carib forum will provide the most accuracy. based on the schools charter/geographical location, the africa forum would be the most accurate classification. europe is accurate only if you are looking at physical location of part of the campus...i don't think rented/leased or recently bought buildings qualify st chris to claim it is a european school.

european schools have an excellent reputation, incredible histories, and are well respected internationally. it would bother me greatly if st chris was mistaken to be a part of this group by potential students. the fact that st chris rents some buildings in london doesn't mean it is a european school.

There are plenty of european schools that have rather poor reputations, just like there are American schools with poor reputations. Reputation is not established based on which schools are included or not on a student forum. These forums do not make a designation on what schools are in what reputable group. If they were, some european schools would be immediately taken out of this forum. Schools are evaluated based on its individual merit. No one is going to decide to attend a school based solely on the fact that it is discussed in the europe section on a forum. That is absolutely ridiculous. It is no more likely that a person will mistake SC for an English school because its on this forum than they would just hearing that one of the campuses is in England.

You may not like SC and that is fine, but it is not going anywhere and you might need to adjust to that fact.

There are plenty of european schools that have rather poor reputations, just like there are American schools with poor reputations. Reputation is not established based on which schools are included or not on a student forum. These forums do not make a designation on what schools are in what reputable group. If they were, some european schools would be immediately taken out of this forum. Schools are evaluated based on its individual merit. No one is going to decide to attend a school based solely on the fact that it is discussed in the europe section on a forum. That is absolutely ridiculous. It is no more likely that a person will mistake SC for an English school because its on this forum than they would just hearing that one of the campuses is in England.

You may not like SC and that is fine, but it is not going anywhere and you might need to adjust to that fact.

well, there may be european schools with bad reputations, but they are true european schools. they do belong here, much like the US schools of all caliber are on the US allopathic/osteopathic forums. no problem.

and, i do think that st chris hopes for some to mistake it for a european school. i seem to recall a student there claiming st chris is a "non-accredited private british medical school" or some other nonsense. i don't think that this forum is appropriate in any way for st chris.

i may not like certain things about how st chris does business, but i do hope the students do well. i never said that i don't like st chris, in fact i have cosistently stated that i think there are some good things about the school. but, i also think the negatives are ignored, or downplayed and the hard sell tactics bother me. i don't resort to insulting you, and i sure wouldn't stoop to mocking board scores as somebody posting here did to me. i just want to keep things honest, and i disagree with the word plays and the hard sell that i see time and time again from st chris.

anyhow, i have yet to see reasons that this is the appropriate board for st chris. i see several reasons why it is not. now my opinions are known, as are the opinions of many others. i am sure the moderator will make a decision that is consistent with what they want from the board, and the case will be closed.

good points neilc. If St. Chris stays, then Kigezi should also be considered an European school. LOL

Life is kind of funny that way huh? When one person mocks another's education it is perfectly fine. But when that same person gets the same treatment, he/she becomes highly offended. Interesting, isn't it? Either way, no one was insulting you, a simple question was asked, thats all.

No matter, it is still perfectly appropriate that SC be discussed under the europe forum since that is its primary location (at least as far as people reading this forum are concerned).

BTW, it has nothing to do with being considered a european school or not. It has to do with regional location.

...BTW, it has nothing to do with being considered a european school or not. It has to do with regional location.

i disagree. and, regionally, i think your school is african, no question. if you don't want to be there, get a european charter. simple. anyhow, we will see what happens with it when the moderators decide.

BTW, i never mocked your education. just disagree with the marketing efforts of your school.

I think this forum belongs here in Europe. For consistency, and applying the simplest logic, the thread should reside where the school resides. Visitors can read here all about how people moan that it's "not a UK school", whatever that really means -- it IS a UK school, in that it IS in the UK. And for those interested in the school's happenings in Senegal, then they can go to the Africa forum.

The alternative is that visitors have to know where schools are registered, or the assumption that they know that schools are organized by where they're registered, but this is not intuitive in the least.

With every thread full of people slamming St. Chris., slanderously or not, no one will be "fooled" into thinking St. Chris. is an EEA school, with EEA benefits, so get over it.

-pitman

my interest is in ACCURATE information...based on style of education and positives/negatives about st chris, the carib forum will provide the most accuracy. based on the schools charter/geographical location, the africa forum would be the most accurate classification. europe is accurate only if you are looking at physical location of part of the campus...i don't think rented/leased or recently bought buildings qualify st chris to claim it is a european school.

Neilc --

Accurate in what arbitrary way? By claiming, "europe is accurate only if you are looking at physical location...", you'd have to also claim that "based [only] on the schools charter/geographical location, the africa forum would be the most accurate classification", and "based [only] on style of education and positives/negatives about st chris, the carib forum will provide the most accuracy".

I don't see how school residence is arbitrary (or misleading), while the examples you give somehow are not...St. Chris a Caribbean school?? What the ??

There are two factors that will determine thread location: 1) consistency, across all schools; 2) useability (or, what people are assumed to have to know in order to use the forum). Caribbean makes no sense whatsoever, Africa makes sense only if any other schools' threads in a similar position are moved AND visitors somehow find it more useful to look up Africa if they want to go to school in Europe.

Stephen --

I think adding yet another forum, for multi-regional, is the worst option, since nothing would be explained UNTIL you read each thread, and because there are already a plethora (I'd say too many) forums now. Further, you'd open up a can of worms, e.g.: should St. G's be in multi-regional forum if they offer rotations in US or UK?

Also, moving the remainder of the archived threads to their new homes would prevent any possibility that anyone's "mislead" about any particular school. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

-pitman

Originally posted by InfiniteUni
I also believe that any/all St. Chris threads should be moved into/kept in the Africa forum as that is where our charter, WHO listing, & main campus are located. The campus in the UK is a satellite, not the main campus. I agree with the other posters that having St. Chris threads in the European forum may confuse some people and lead them to believe that our main campus is in the UK, when in fact it isn't.

-Mike

Here's a proposal:

Instead of moving them, why not let the thread starter decide in this school's case, i.e., if the thread is about the UK campus (for example, one that caters to American students who go there) and posted to the Europe forum, then let it stay in the Europe forum. Each can cross-reference the other, if desired, and that way you don't potentially screw your own school by alienating potential students to either. To rely on charter location is to be at least as arbitrary as campus location, won't be less confusing (e.g., when people discuss the classrooms above a certain restaurant, or shared facilities with UK schools, and the visitors says, "huh? they use the library at a UK school, somewhere in Africa?"), and thus a disservice -- do you REALLY think potential UK-campus students won't figure out pretty quickly here that the school's chartered in Senegal??

-pitman

Originally posted by pitman
-- do you REALLY think potential UK-campus students won't figure out pretty quickly here that the school's chartered in Senegal??

-pitman

well, i think they may conclude that st chris is considered a european school. or they may conclude that st chris has some sort of edge perception wise over the carib schools. st chris has always tried to encourage this deception....there was a student posting recently about st chris being a "non-accreddited private english medical school" and i think that is the wrong impression to be giving.

Oh guys, say it ain't so! Isn't "the other website" enough????? Must you carry on over here too!!!!!!

As a prospective student who knew absolutely NOTHING about St. Chris 6 months ago. I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE IT IS LOCATED AND WHO CHARTERS IT!!! How did I find out this ever so secretive information?????? I read it on their website and it has been OVER DRAMATIZED on value md. Come on guys, quit beating this dead horse. We, prospective students are a fairly intelligent bunch and I am sure most of us are capable of a little investigative work. If I am going to drop a six figure price tag on my medical education, whether it is at Harvard, St. Chris, Saba or Yale, I will do my research. If a prospective student does not care enough to get the information, good and the bad, on his or her future school, then I say they get exactly what they deserve.

Give it a rest folks....We all know that the school is located in the UK and it is chartered out of Africa and it targets American students. Nuff said.

hey mike,

got tired of people telling u off on valuemd so u moved to dsn. we got a good laugh today when u walked in the middle of lecture and got ur computer so u could go out in the lobby to post here in private.
everyone was rolling dr.m was mindboggled. we all know what u do when u leave class (that is 2-4 time in each 45 min sessions) that u are in the computer lab posting here or in valuemd.
:oops:

keep up the good work u keep us so entertained :clap:

why dont u post after class it gets a little annoying u getting up and leaving just post what crisis u r in today please give it up and try this+pissed+

now u r secret is out find a new game

when u own the tower u run the country:eek: guess what u dont so chill.

i guess i will get a call from the queen and her barrister for impersonating a dead king
:D

i'll be waiting :clap: always wanted to speak to queen

did u know that no building can be built higher than the oldest church in the city. that is why all buildings are only 2-5 storeys.

its illegal to drive 3 consecutive time around the round a bouts

however it is legal to have sex in public places (the police will just walk by and say nothing)

one day a year at the strawberry festival u can use street drugs and buy them from vendors and its legal (only if u use on the grounds)

the first witch to be burned at the stake was in warboys 35 miles from luton. u can tour the home and gallows where her husband and child was hanged

u can ride on the train that was used in harry potter. also tour hogwart castle.

the spread egale pub in cambridge is still open today this was the favorite hang out for crick and watson (they discovered dna)
the lab they used is across the street and can be toured.

there are 31 colleges in cambridge. yes 31!

there are over 10,000 bikes in cambridge. when getting off the train there are at least 15,00 bikes in the special bike parking lot.

some of cambridge uni student housing has been in existance for over 400 years and reported to be haunted.

in the 1800's in order to obtain cadavers men would kill prostitutes and the poor for fresh specimens. if they could'nt find a live person they would dig up the recently dead (hence the term grave robbers) queen victoria pass a law that it was illegal to obtain a cadaver in that manner. now the respect the dead law is in force. all body parts used in the dissection rooms have to labeled and matched to a body. after use the whole body any parts or organs have to be buried together. if not the uni gets fined and possible closure.

Originally posted by spmd
hey mike,

got tired of people telling u off on valuemd so u moved to dsn. we got a good laugh today when u walked in the middle of lecture and got ur computer so u could go out in the lobby to post here in private.
everyone was rolling dr.m was mindboggled. we all know what u do when u leave class (that is 2-4 time in each 45 min sessions) that u are in the computer lab posting here or in valuemd.
:oops:

keep up the good work u keep us so entertained :clap:

why dont u post after class it gets a little annoying u getting up and leaving just post what crisis u r in today please give it up and try this+pissed+

now u r secret is out find a new game

when u own the tower u run the country:eek: guess what u dont so chill.

i guess i will get a call from the queen and her barrister for impersonating a dead king
:D

i'll be waiting :clap: always wanted to speak to queen

Yup, that's it. Mock him and feel good about yourself.

See, I feel better already.

Yeap.
First advice... don't trust in any school or any teacher, Medicine is a universal stuff... Doesn't matter where you are studing, the books are most the same and I think if these teachers are teaching cause they know about the stuff. So, take your book and try study by your self. Medicine doesn't come from the teacher but it's come from your dedication and love .
So.. don't try to judge people and study.

Actually, it is posts that flame too high that are not particularly welcome on the forum. Please post with these flames cooled down.