The truth behind admissions and criminal background checks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

COMBAT MEDIC172

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I have been lurking for a while now and am very impressed with the available information. I find this community to be an important tool, and very beneficial for all the pre meds out there. I have noticed several posts regarding questions surrounding past convictions and students that have a less than stellar upbringing. All these posts made me start to acknowledge my own minor brush ins with the law >8 years ago while I was a young teenager. While many have offered there munificent advice, which I mind you to definitely only believe a small fraction of what you hear. (Majority are just opinions with no supporting evidence, or past experience resulting these matters). I have decided to use my first post to help clear up any questions regarding criminal background checks. I came across this link by AAMC that will give you the exact information regarding criminal background checks. http://www.aamc.org/members/gsa/cbc_final_report.pdf . Keep in mind some schools require you to submit more information than others. (Mostly on the secondary). You will have to research these schools your self. Some will say exclude juvenile and expunged offenses, some will want them included. Read the fine print and understand what they are asking. Be very circumspect while filling out applications. Dishonesty is greatly frowned upon and will BREAK you. Every case is evaluated on a case by case basis after an acceptance to the school. If you have had a record expunged it may still be seen by the investigating company. Usually it is sealed in public records, however private companies may have had these records prior to the expunction and are not obligated to seal them. In this case they will be revealed and only because they were not sealed at that level (they were most likely unaware of the sealed record). In this case you will want to make sure that after an record is sealed or expunged the proper steps have been taken by your lawyer to notify these other companies including the federal level with the supporting documentation to seal these records. You probably know by now that by law you can legally answer no on the conviction portion of your application if you have had an expunged, sealed, juvenile, or dismissed record. The reason you have this barrier has to do with your rights and currently admissions to educational programs should not be discriminated upon. While gaining admissions to college your state laws are respected because you are seeking education. If private companies see your sealed record they cannot report it or you have lawsuit on your hands, that’s why it is not reportable at this phase (schools should not have access to this). Private companies will email you with their findings and give you ten days to object. At this point if they did find expunged or sealed records you should have the legal papers on hand to show them that the record is sealed and they should honor the state law and make adjustments prior to submitting to schools. Hospitals may also require an additional check prior to clinical rotations (mainly for liability reasons). Keep in mind that when you complete medical school the Medical Boards are allowed access to sealed and expunged records, and will evaluate every offense that you have previously had (usually finger printed). Now by law you can no longer avoid the fact that you have a record. You must now disclose you prior convictions with the exception of juvenile records. Minor misdemeanors in most cases will pose no threat to your license. Every thing is taken case by case. Common sense will tell you if you are going to run into a problem or not. Every thing that you have ever been finger printed for should show up + some other cases that you have not been finger printed for. You need to be very honest and hope for the board to recognize mitigating factors. Some mitigating factors include severity of offense, how many offenses, time since offense, and was this an isolated case. If you were young and made an isolated mistake this would be a huge mitigating factor.
My advice to you is if your dream is to become a doctor you will become a doctor. If you have had trouble in the past you can over come it by proving that it is no longer an issue. Some people have bigger hurdles to over come than others but in the end the ones that succeed are the ones that did not quit. Don’t be depressed by your tarnished past, just show every one how much more determined you are, and prove that your past is no longer an issue. You can over come every hurdle you come across if you don’t give up on your dream. Just remember that Medical Board Members are human as well and some have been in the same shoes that you have been in, however most of them did not require a check when they were applying. Excel in every thing you do from this point and when you apply to medical schools, and boards you accomplishments will out shadow you little foolish mistakes. Always consult a lawyer for legal matters. Good luck and god bless you all on your journey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
lol, yeah its lengthy , the people who are looking for it will find it informative.

I've seen some questions about background checks on here; I'm sure some people will appreciate the heads-up.

I read part of it, but at least give him a thanks for providing more info on this site, guys!

Thanks and welcome to the boards Combat Medic :)

Hello I have been lurking for a while now and am very impressed with the available information. I find this community to be an important tool, and very beneficial for all the pre meds out there. I have noticed several posts regarding questions surrounding past convictions and students that have a less than stellar upbringing. All these posts made me start to acknowledge my own minor brush ins with the law >8 years ago while I was a young teenager. While many have offered there munificent advice, which I mind you to definitely only believe a small fraction of what you hear. (Majority are just opinions with no supporting evidence, or past experience resulting these matters). I have decided to use my first post to help clear up any questions regarding criminal background checks. I came across this link by AAMC that will give you the exact information regarding criminal background checks. http://www.aamc.org/members/gsa/cbc_final_report.pdf . Keep in mind some schools require you to submit more information than others. (Mostly on the secondary). You will have to research these schools your self. Some will say exclude juvenile and expunged offenses, some will want them included. Read the fine print and understand what they are asking. Be very circumspect while filling out applications. Dishonesty is greatly frowned upon and will BREAK you. Every case is evaluated on a case by case basis after an acceptance to the school. If you have had a record expunged it may still be seen by the investigating company. Usually it is sealed in public records, however private companies may have had these records prior to the expunction and are not obligated to seal them. In this case they will be revealed and only because they were not sealed at that level (they were most likely unaware of the sealed record). In this case you will want to make sure that after an record is sealed or expunged the proper steps have been taken by your lawyer to notify these other companies including the federal level with the supporting documentation to seal these records. You probably know by now that by law you can legally answer no on the conviction portion of your application if you have had an expunged, sealed, juvenile, or dismissed record. The reason you have this barrier has to do with your rights and currently admissions to educational programs should not be discriminated upon. While gaining admissions to college your state laws are respected because you are seeking education. If private companies see your sealed record they cannot report it or you have lawsuit on your hands, that’s why it is not reportable at this phase (schools should not have access to this). Private companies will email you with their findings and give you ten days to object. At this point if they did find expunged or sealed records you should have the legal papers on hand to show them that the record is sealed and they should honor the state law and make adjustments prior to submitting to schools. Hospitals may also require an additional check prior to clinical rotations (mainly for liability reasons). Keep in mind that when you complete medical school the Medical Boards are allowed access to sealed and expunged records, and will evaluate every offense that you have previously had (usually finger printed). Now by law you can no longer avoid the fact that you have a record. You must now disclose you prior convictions with the exception of juvenile records. Minor misdemeanors in most cases will pose no threat to your license. Every thing is taken case by case. Common sense will tell you if you are going to run into a problem or not. Every thing that you have ever been finger printed for should show up + some other cases that you have not been finger printed for. You need to be very honest and hope for the board to recognize mitigating factors. Some mitigating factors include severity of offense, how many offenses, time since offense, and was this an isolated case. If you were young and made an isolated mistake this would be a huge mitigating factor.
My advice to you is if your dream is to become a doctor you will become a doctor. If you have had trouble in the past you can over come it by proving that it is no longer an issue. Some people have bigger hurdles to over come than others but in the end the ones that succeed are the ones that did not quit. Don’t be depressed by your tarnished past, just show every one how much more determined you are, and prove that your past is no longer an issue. You can over come every hurdle you come across if you don’t give up on your dream. Just remember that Medical Board Members are human as well and some have been in the same shoes that you have been in, however most of them did not require a check when they were applying. Excel in every thing you do from this point and when you apply to medical schools, and boards you accomplishments will out shadow you little foolish mistakes. Always consult a lawyer for legal matters. Good luck and god bless you all on your journey!

That looks worse than an MCAT VR section.

Well if its not for you pass it up and leave it for the people that will appreciate it, instead of trying to increase you post count.

That looks worse than an MCAT VR section.
loooooooooooool

funny-pictures-little-hedgehog-is-making-friends.jpg

No offense guys, but I find most of the replies rude to the OP. He was providing information and a lot of the replies are like "too long!" "doesn't help us!"

It's only making the boards more helpful.

No offense guys, but I find most of the replies rude to the OP. He was providing information and a lot of the replies are like "too long!" "doesn't help us!"

It's only making the boards more helpful.
i've looked 5 times and i still don't know what it says. parse it.

Members don't see this ad :)

I watched jurassicpark in HD last night dude. I laughed so hard when the mean dino with the frills spat poison ink in the hacker's (newman from seinfield? YES!) eyes! I was like damn right jurassic park 1 hacker 0

I watched jurassicpark in HD last night dude. I laughed so hard when the mean dino with the frills spat poison ink in the hacker's (newman from seinfield? YES!) eyes! I was like damn right jurassic park 1 hacker 0
:thumbup: dilophosaurus :D
:love:

Dear God what is wrong with you people? Someone finally comes along and spends time to write a solid post to HELP YOU- and they get a bunch of smart aleck comments about post length. :barf:

Thanks for the post CombatMedic. :thumbup:

Hmm. Seems like a quick and easy read to me. What do you find confusing? It gives a lot of information for people who have a criminal past and want to become physicians. Those questions seem to come up a lot for obvious reasons.

BUT DID YOU HAVE THE DILOPHOSAURUS ACTION FIGURE!?!?

I did! :) (keyword: did :()
omigosh now i want one. :(

i made a mug in art class (it was required) with a raptor on it and it was a really good raptor mug and...
my teacher lost it.

:cry:

hahaha, I find it so funny how Alaska and jurrasicpark are getting along in a thread about criminal background checks

classic :laugh: (not being sarcastic lol)

omigosh now i want one. :(

i made a mug in art class (it was required) with a raptor on it and it was a really good raptor mug and...
my teacher lost it.

:cry:

True Story:

I had a fight between my electronic raptor (went EYEAHHH!!! when you pulled his legs back) and my plastic dilophosaurus which spat water. The water from the dilophosaurus f'd up the circuits in the raptor and the raptor broke...

Can anyone defeat this beast?

hahaha, I find it so funny how Alaska and jurrasicpark are getting along in a thread about criminal background checks

classic :laugh: (not being sarcastic lol)

If liking dino's is a crime, guilty as charged sir ;)

True Story:

I had a fight between my electronic raptor (went EYEAHHH!!! when you pulled his legs back) and my plastic dilophosaurus which spat water. The water from the dilophosaurus f'd up the circuits in the raptor and the raptor broke...

that is awesome.

it's bedtime for me though. gonna go dream about dinosaurs. :sleep:

I read it all.

You guys are just lazy
I hope you all choke on the VR specially since your such class-A jerks

I appreciated the info
Thanks for posting it kind sir :thumbup:

and good day!!!!

...*hugs Combat Medic*

I really hope he doesn't feel unwelcome here because of the responses to his first thread.....>_<

No problem , its amazing how immature people act but wish to enter one of the most professional fields in america.

True Story:

Aw :( I miss the Dinosaur toys that had the little chunk that came out of the side and showed bones and stuff. I LOVED those! I was so into dinosaurs as a kid: I had books and toys and u name it. I was the only kid in my second grade class who could spell paleontologist. :D Speaking of, Jurrasicpark, why aren't you going into paleontology instead of meicine? lol

To the OP: the information in your post is very useful (though I do hope that I will never have to use it. My record atm is clean and I hope it stays that way). I have heard several people ask questions about background checks and am sure that they will find everything they need here.

This thread is just proof of SDN's ineffective moderation force. Two posters come into this VERY HELPFUL thread (given the nature of legal question threads in the past) and just totally **** it up. Why they haven't been warned is beyond me, especially since I have been warned for MUCH less.

Honestly, Combatmedic, thank you for your post and I am sure many will find it useful on their path towards physicianship.

thanks for the info, CombatMedic. One question, what is your opinion on an AR-15 almost 20 years ago? I'm thinking it wasn't a conviction, so no worries.

P.S. Alaska, thank you for putting a shirt on your avatar.

To the OP, I think it was an awesome post. I had a legal question some time ago and I wish something this comprehensive had been posted rather than some conjecture and mockery.

If it doesn't apply to you, don't read it. Jurassicpark, I don't mean to pick a fight here but it seems nearly all of your posts on SDN are rude and condescending, why? Everything you post is either something like: "all premeds are ******ed," or "the answer to this question is so obvious, why don't you look it up?" If you already know all the answers to everything and don't particularly care for pre-meds, why do you post on this forum which is full of premeds seeking information?
-Roy

If it doesn't apply to you, don't read it. Jurassicpark, I don't mean to pick a fight here but it seems nearly all of your posts on SDN are rude and condescending, why? Everything you post is either something like: "all premeds are ******ed," or "the answer to this question is so obvious, why don't you look it up?" If you already know all the answers to everything and don't particularly care for pre-meds, why do you post on this forum which is full of premeds seeking information?
-Roy

I hate to make this a call-out thread, but I am going to agree with everything Roy says here.

This thread is just proof of SDN's ineffective moderation force. Two posters come into this VERY HELPFUL thread (given the nature of legal question threads in the past) and just totally **** it up. Why they haven't been warned is beyond me, especially since I have been warned for MUCH less.

Honestly, Combatmedic, thank you for your post and I am sure many will find it useful on their path towards physicianship.

SDN is by far the most efficiently moderated forum that I frequent. Go to another forum and see how fast every other thread turns into "omg joo just got pwn3ed lets have buttsecks."

jinx520 an AR-15 20 years ago should be irrelevant. Of course it depends on the crime. (murder, rape,ect...) 20 years can forgive alot.

To the OP and anyone else who knows the answer:
How much weight does an MIC or DUI have on your chances? I do not have either (hopefully it stays that way!) but I know people (premeds) who do. Is that going to hurt someone's chances?

Well again you wont receive an AR-15 for rape or murder, but im sure you understand the context.

Hurricane I am no expert but my opinion is whether or not it can be mitigated. Time + isolation = fair chance . I have seen a lot of people in the military get securtiy clearances to go to P.A. school with long rap sheets. The military is different however the clearances were granted because of the time since the offenses and the clean record in the years following. The schools make their decisions based on the chances of this incident reoccuring. You do have a little making up to do however

Hurricane show this to your friends its cut and dry. This is taken from the University of Mississippi School of Medicine procedures for conducting criminal background checks. Its pretty standard across the board.
c) Section​
[FONT=Arial,Arial]§.37-29-232 stipulates that the health care professional/vocational technical academic program may grant waivers for those mitigating circumstances, which shall include, but not be limited to:
• the age at which the crime was committed;
• circumstances surrounding the crime [the nature and frequency of all reported offences];
• length of time since the conviction and criminal history since the conviction;
• work history; current employment and character references;
• other evidence [such as rehabilitation] demonstrating the ability of the student to perform the clinical responsibilities competently and that the student does not pose a threat to the health or safety of patients in the licensed health care entities in which they will be conducting clinical experiences.
d) The dean will consider these recommendations and render a final decision as to whether or not the incident(s) or disqualifying event(s) will preclude admission to this medical school.

I think that this thread should be stick'ied after all the irrelevant comments are filtered out.

maybe put a few line breaks in the first post OP though first then people can more easily read it. Thanks for the info again tho

Thanks. :) I don't think it will be too much of a problem bc my friend has a 4.0 :rolleyes: haha but it's good to know. I'd hate it i that happened to me too...:(

Thanks. :) I don't think it will be too much of a problem bc my friend has a 4.0 :rolleyes: haha but it's good to know. I'd hate it i that happened to me too...:(

I know that since it was an MIC and not a DUI that should make a big difference for him. I think it won't be much of an issue at all honestly...alcohol is not a big deal compared to pharmaceutical abuse etc. I would think and hope that adcoms don't look too much into something so small like an MIC...especially since technically everyone could have gotten an MIC in high school...

No problem , its amazing how immature people act but wish to enter one of the most professional fields in america.

:thumbup:

I actually think this many times when I'm reading through posts.

I didn't actually read what you wrote up there bc it doesn't pertain to me, but I appreciate you trying to help us out.

I would like to also point out that in NJ the state board of medical examiners is NOT permitted to look at expunged records when deciding your fate... :D

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/laws/BME_Laws.pdf

Page 38, section 6, also I can find the application right now but specifically tells you not to include expunged records.... also in NJ

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bills/A2000/1771_R1.PDF

Current expungement legislation reform, Moved forward by Corzine's reform campaign, just in case anyone is interested ;)

I would also like to point out to the OP regardless if a school tells you to list expunged records, they are legally unable to force you to do so as NJ expungement law is clear in stating only education facilities and law enforcement entities can request those records but ONLY for employment purposes as a teacher or officer... anything else violates the statute

I would like to also point out that in NJ the state board of medical examiners is NOT permitted to look at expunged records when deciding your fate... :D

Bear in mind that the school you actually attend is not the only one which may ultimately need to do a background check on you on this path, so you may not be subject to only one set of school specific rules. If your school does rotations at a VA they will have their own background check. If you do away rotations, those schools may have their own background checks, and when you ultimate apply for a license and DEA number for prescribing meds those organizations also have their own background investigations. So I'd say squeaky clean is a good idea, honest about your transgressions is the next best approach. But if you have convictions for felonies and/or certain drug related misdemeanors, it can have very serious repercussions on your ability to become a doctor.

As advice for pre-meds who find themselves in a situation:

1. Do not talk to the police. Do not say anything other than "I would like to remain silent." The police aren't going to help you, and they aren't going to lessen the charges. Anything you say CAN and WILL be used against you.

2. Get a lawyer. It's money well spent, especially if you can get the charges reduced or thrown out. Spending a few thousand dollars to get a drug charge pled down to a disorderly conduct could have huge repercussions on your career.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA[/YOUTUBE]

its long, but may very well save your butt one day.

in a nutshell, the only things to say are:

1. I want to see a lawyer.

***2. I do not consent to a search.***