The two best resources for MCAT 2015+ prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nohre

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 2015 MCAT is still relatively new, and I have read some disturbing reviews on the forums and other websites which suggest some study books/materials were poorly prepared (and/or largely unaltered from pre-2015 versions). Additionally, I'd like to hear what the current consensus is now that a full cycle of students have studied for and taken the new MCAT.

I'm looking for the single best MCAT review source, as well as the single best source for practice tests. This is due to both lack of time and lack of funds. I have 300-400 budgeted, and feel more money might be wasted due to lack of time. Would be willing to spend more afterwards if I felt I needed additional practice tests, a better resource for subject x, etc.

SN2ed had an excellent post describing how much he valued certain materials, as well as their cost, but I've read this post is sadly not up-to-date.

For review I'm considering either The Princeton Review 7 book or Kaplan 7 book (~$150 each), and for practice tests I'm considering the MCAT - Complete Official MCAT prep bundle($188).

Please let me know what you guys think. I'll carefully consider all reviews and suggestions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The 2015 MCAT is still relatively new, and I have read some disturbing reviews on the forums and other websites which suggest some study books/materials were poorly prepared (and/or largely unaltered from pre-2015 versions). Additionally, I'd like to hear what the current consensus is now that a full cycle of students have studied for and taken the new MCAT.

I'm looking for the single best MCAT review source, as well as the single best source for practice tests. This is due to both lack of time and lack of funds. I have 300-400 budgeted, and feel more money might be wasted due to lack of time. Would be willing to spend more afterwards if I felt I needed additional practice tests, a better resource for subject x, etc.

SN2ed had an excellent post describing how much he valued certain materials, as well as their cost, but I've read this post is sadly not up-to-date.

For review I'm considering either The Princeton Review 7 book or Kaplan 7 book (~$150 each), and for practice tests I'm considering the MCAT - Complete Official MCAT prep bundle($188).

Please let me know what you guys think. I'll carefully consider all reviews and suggestions.

Thanks!

Immediately found https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/wiki/mcat2015exam after posting. Seems like an excellent resource for reviews. Checking it out now.

EDIT: Many seem to suggest Kaplan as a value pick, but Berkley Review as a better, more expensive option (~$375). Also, the general suggestion for practice tests seemed to be AAMC and full length ExamKrakers.

Last edited:
The Berkeley Review is much harder compared to the actual MCAT's, but if you have the time I would highly recommend. For reading comprehension, the consensus seems to be that EK and TPRH are the best. For practice, the AAMC official tests are a must.

The Berkeley Review is much harder compared to the actual MCAT's, but if you have the time I would highly recommend. For reading comprehension, the consensus seems to be that EK and TPRH are the best. For practice, the AAMC official tests are a must.

Thanks, this will help a lot. Many seem to prefer Berkeley. I think they're out of my price range for now, but if I can't do well enough on practice tests I'll try to find some copies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, this will help a lot. Many seem to prefer Berkeley. I think they're out of my price range for now, but if I can't do well enough on practice tests I'll try to find some copies.

Glad I can help. Good luck with prepping! Also, why are you pre-dental and taking the MCAT's?

I don't have a strong preference for either. Keeping my options open--and I have few options due to my low GPA. I applied to a few dental schools this cycle and haven't heard anything back, so I probably won't. Someone told me it was a bad idea to apply to both med and dental in one cycle (or impossible due to some behind the scenes action).

Something to think about with the Berkeley Review, is the option to resell once done. You can make back the majority of your money by reselling the books, which is how I justified it to myself, but I would also wait to resell until after you have your exam score back, and are satisfied with it. Another thing to note is that you will get more money back if you do not mark up the book.

Something to think about with the Berkeley Review, is the option to resell once done. You can make back the majority of your money by reselling the books, which is how I justified it to myself, but I would also wait to resell until after you have your exam score back, and are satisfied with it. Another thing to note is that you will get more money back if you do not mark up the book.

Oftentimes you can get resources for super cheap/free from upperclassmen who already took the test. I was in an exchange program when the books were given to me for free, and I handed them off to another person when I was done with them (under the condition that they too would hand it off for free when they were done).

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have a strong preference for either. Keeping my options open--and I have few options due to my low GPA. I applied to a few dental schools this cycle and haven't heard anything back, so I probably won't. Someone told me it was a bad idea to apply to both med and dental in one cycle (or impossible due to some behind the scenes action).
Stop. Don't take the MCAT. If you don't have strong preference for Medicine, you're gonna fail. It's a difficult road. You really need to want this for it to happen. You cannot hack this.
You cannot say it doesn't matter. Medical school is different from dental school. Doctors are different than dentists.
And if you failed to get accepted to dental school, what makes you think you will be accepted to a med school? It's diffenitly not easier.
Don't waste your time and money. Find out what you wanna be when you grow up first. When you decide we will be happy to help.
Good luck!

Thanks for the help, guys.

Stop. Don't take the MCAT. If you don't have strong preference for Medicine, you're gonna fail. It's a difficult road. You really need to want this for it to happen. You cannot hack this.
You cannot say it doesn't matter. Medical school is different from dental school. Doctors are different than dentists.
And if you failed to get accepted to dental school, what makes you think you will be accepted to a med school? It's diffenitly not easier.
Don't waste your time and money. Find out what you wanna be when you grow up first. When you decide we will be happy to help.
Good luck!

Doctorold, I've given your advice careful consideration. As far as the two professions are concerned, the work is undoubtedly quite different. I am sad that my conviction and ability seem inadequate. I will reflect upon my feelings as I have a very strong desire to grow myself up. In the meantime--if you can allow yourself to help me--I would like to hear your thoughts on MCAT study materials. I completely understand if you are ethically prevented from divulging that information. Thanks a lot for your kind words, and I wish you the best of luck with the MCAT as well as the rest of your journey.

I just don't want you to have any regrets later. I had my share of those. I don't want you to experience that. Trying to save you ;)
For the MCAT, if you going with a full set then I'll buy EK, all the AAMC materials, Khan Academy (free), TBR if you can afford it later. For FL's AAMC, EK.
Wish you all the best.

A little bit about me - I studied for the MCAT's a while ago and heavily used SN2ed's guide to ultimately score a 38 and get into med school. I'm actually looking to give back to the community.

I've deferred med school (Weill Cornell entering 2017) and am working as a software developer in SF in the mean time.

Thoughts about compiling an adaptive schedule on a website with all the resources? So for me, I had a lot of time to study for the MCAT's and was terrible at CARS. So I found myself modifying the guides to spend more time on CARS and less on stuff I was good at like OChem. Also, I studied a lot less each day because I had a whole year to spread it out.

I'm thinking of making a community resource where you fill out a short questionnaire of what you need (timeline, desired score, current ability, etc.) and the site points you in the right direction for a custom-tailored study schedule.

Reactions: 3 users
A little bit about me - I studied for the MCAT's a while ago and heavily used SN2ed's guide to ultimately score a 38 and get into med school. I'm actually looking to give back to the community.

I've deferred med school (Weill Cornell entering 2017) and am working as a software developer in SF in the mean time.

Thoughts about compiling an adaptive schedule on a website with all the resources? So for me, I had a lot of time to study for the MCAT's and was terrible at CARS. So I found myself modifying the guides to spend more time on CARS and less on stuff I was good at like OChem. Also, I studied a lot less each day because I had a whole year to spread it out.

I'm thinking of making a community resource where you fill out a short questionnaire of what you need (timeline, desired score, current ability, etc.) and the site points you in the right direction for a custom-tailored study schedule.

I think this would be an wonderful resource for students if you can find enough people with the desire and time to devote to creating it.

I can offer an idea that might be useful. Some websites and software allow you to rate how familiar you are with the flashcard (1 know it, 2 don't know it at all, 3 need to study it more), and shuffles the cards you need help with back into the stack so that you see that card more often. The idea being that more exposure to that card will better familiarize you with the idea.

I feel this can be applied to any type of question. If a question bank is divided into groups-and you struggle with a question from one group-you can be presented with the same question or with a different question from the same group. Example: If you have a problem with a stoicheometry question, you will see a higher percentage of stoicheometry questions in your practice quiz/test. Also, the end of test screen or question review screen could suggest resources to better familiarize students with the material.

Big Edit: As far as thoughts for your specific idea go, I think this would do-able. I suppose a student would specify their study period (ex: 3 months), how many hours per day they wish to spend, and what materials they have (every student would have the free online materials, + whatever they purchase/find) and the website would do its best to divide up the reading and problem sets for each subject evenly across the specified time period. Having a schedule is really comforting for some people (me included), and this planning feature alone would save many hours of work. Having a concise list of popular study material by itself would save hours of work. I really like what the MCAT wiki on reddit is doing in this regard: https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/wiki/mcat2015exam

Then I suppose some of the extra bells and whistles would be: Remove certain chapters of books, etc. entirely (or maybe even partially) if the student felt they knew the material. Warn if the study schedule looks impossible. Allow students to make percentage adjustments for whatever the common individual study habits are (Ex: Some students would like 50% review 50% practice questions, others might like 30% review, 70% questions, spend no more than x consecutive hours on one subject, etc ). Suggest additional resources when a student runs out (in a non-affiliated/non-profit making fashion, just provide the master list) Strongly recommend working in full-length practice tests.

"Algorithm:**" Time till test date / daily study time = hours spent studying per day

Hours spent studying per day x (.7) = (time to spend on problem sets) ---
for a 30/70 split (reading vs problems)

Hours spent studying per day x (.3) = (time to spend on reading) ---
for a 30/70 split (reading vs problems)

**Sometimes it may be necessary to review a subject entirely before attempting any practice problems. Many study schedules save practice problems and practices tests for later. This is just meant to be a simplification of a solution for a student with complicated needs.

For each chapter: Reading calculations can be estimated (Ex: average minutes per page spent reading a Kaplan book). If you wanted to get more in-depth there are probably free reading tests on line to find a persons read words per minute.

For problem sets: A bit trickier to average the time it takes to do a problem. I imagine most resources design problems like MCAT problems, so they expect students to take the same amount of time solving them as what's provided on the MCAT. so about 1.5 minutes per question: http://nextsteptestprep.com/2014/11/21/mcat-2015-time-limits/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Nohre: I think it's all doable. Linking to resources and sorting out the timeline should be pretty simple. Then it's an initial questionnaire for specific study requirements (What score are you looking for? How much time do you have to study? When are you taking the test? How good are you at _____? etc.) followed by a custom schedule generated algorithmically.

I'm aiming to get this done in a month, with the collaboration of some other forum members, if this is possible. @mcatjelly and @SN2ed definitely looking at you guys! I know the web programming will take less than a month, so if the content's there I can try to release an edition by March. Looking forward to giving back to the SDN community if there's interest!