the ultimate guide to dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

lady d

hello i had just ordered the ultimate guide to dental school by Aly Kanani and have not recieved it yet those who have ordered this book can you please tell me how to get in contact with them i have already emailed them. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same problem, I ordered it yesterday and it said I can download it, but I was in school library and I don't want to download it at school. So I forwarded the link at my email at home. Last night I was trying to go to the link it didn't work. I send email to them, they have not replied yet. I have a bad feeling with this thing. Please let me know if you figure out something. Thanks.

I had the same thing happen, pre-ordered it and did not receive a link on the date I was supposed to. After a few days I sent an email to [email protected] and they sent me a download link/license number within 24 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose this is too late for the 4 of us, but to anyone else that reads this thread, I don't believe the book was worth the forty bucks. I found most of the information to be sort of common sense and there wasn't any information that I couldn't have found elsewhere for free.

Is this the same ADEA guide for dental schools?
Which is the most current edition? When do they come out with the next edition? :confused:

Are any of the guides worth getting?

I saw many SDNers recommend the ADEA guide, so I purchased it and so far found it to be very useful.

The ADEA guide is great for pure statistics about dental applicants and information on the individual dental schools. In that respect I found the book to be invaluable, especially when it came to helping me select candidate schools.

I'd be glad to whip up a summary of its contents if anyone's interested.

What year is the latest edition?

I did buy the Ultimate dental guide and found it very useful. I guess it depends on your level of knowledge. I didn't know anything getting into dental school and this book was a great start to find lots of information condensed in one place. The forum is good too but you have to dig around. Also, there were tips in the book that I had never thought of and I used many of them to improve my application. You can find some of the information for free but i didnt want to waste time looking around. i wanted the info NOW!

Jess

P.S. I also emailed the author with some very specific questions like starting an asda predental chapter and how to get off of waiting lists and he replied within 1-2 days with detailed answers. that was very helpful. i also recommend that you buy a book on interviewing for resident such as Isersons Getting Into A Residency. It's for med students but the interview tips were also good for dental students

Hey everyone.....dont listen to Jessicasmiles......it has always been suspect that she is either Aly Kanani or somehow affiliated with the author, because whenever she posts in the forum, its to hype up this book, so beware.

Look at this thread for the history of our good friend Jessicasmiles:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=99913

DONT BUY THIS BOOK!!!! These forums are more valuable than any book and the best part is that these forums are free. Save your money! The combination of the ADEA OFFICIAL Book and these forums is all you need.

Want an AWESOME book? try "REALITY - The Information Source for Esthetic Dentistry" A few other SDNers and I bought this book from the CDA and its awesome!!

www.realityesthetics.com

PS - This book has nothing to do with the application cycle. It is a step by step color pictorial on esthetic procedures and techniques.

This forum is the best source, hands down. Jessicasmiles, you must be pedaling that book. I teach at Kaplan and if you look at any of my threads about the DAT you'll never hear me sell it to anyone. I only encourage those who have already purchased it. You're on the take, please don't be an SDN hooker.

I meant posts, not threads, I'm not much of thread starter

This section highlights outstanding online courses. The section also includes some wonderful textbooks that have been developed for online use. Please note that the classic textbooks used to teach cell biology (for example, Molecular Biology of the Cell) are not available online.

Cell Biology Topics (Gwen Childs, University of Texas Medical Branch) provides basic explanations of cellular structures and functions and includes nice images from textbooks.

Dictionaries and Glossaries for cell and molecular biology terms.

ESP - Electronic Scholarly Publishing offers full-text access to papers and books from the early days of classical genetics, along with a fun timeline, Genetics in Context, which compares genetic discoveries with historical events.

Institute for Molecular Virology (UW Madison) includes a section with information on developing a virology course and online course notes and tutorials.

The MIT Biology Hypertextbook is an extensive, searchable online textbook for the introductory biology course at MIT. The hypertext includes most topic areas in cell and molecular biology and has great pictures and diagrams.

The Molecules of Life (University of Oxford, UK) introduces the techniques used to examine protein structure and discusses DNA, proteins and protein folding.

Online Biology Book (Dr. Michael J. Farabee, Estrella Mountain Community College) is an excellent collection of lectures from a freshman-level biology course. The notes are fully hyperlinked and contain many images from the Internet.

Seeing, Hearing, and Smelling the World (HHMI) is an animated exploration of the senses that incorporates recent scientific findings.

Virtual Courses on the Web (Mark Dalton, SGI/Cray Research) is a general resource with listings of tutorials on the Web. Topic areas include general biology, genetics and cell biology, molecular biology and biochemistry, chemistry and medicine.

The WWW Cell Biology Course (Mark Dalton, SGI/Cray Research) is a great introduction to cell biology with extensive coverage of all topics, including the structure and function of cellular organelles, cell division and gene expression.

Hello. I am entering this forum because I was recently notified by a pre-dental school student that my book was being discussed here. Unfortunately, I was not made aware until now of other postings that occurred in December. I thank those pre-dental students that brought this to my attention, and I hope that by presenting my own comments I can clear up some confusion and misrepresentation that may have occurred.

First, I want to make clear that I have no connection to the people who have made postings on this site now, or in the past, regarding my book The Ultimate Dental School Admission Guide. Beside stating this, I would also ask readers of this thread to consider the possibility that someone could post on this site under an assumed identity with the intention of making it appear to be me, trying to promote myself, in order to have the exact opposite effect - damaging my credibility. Unfortunately, in a forum situation such as this, it is possible for someone with these types of intentions to take advantage of the readers? while they may, in fact, have ulterior motives. I would ask that you compare this with my web site which fully discloses my credentials, as well as my book in which I even provide my personal e-mail address for readers to direct questions to me.

Second, I want to acknowledge the value of this forum, and state that I support it. I, myself, utilized this forum as a dental student, and greatly appreciated the information available here. I in no way attempt to present my book as the only source, to the exclusion of this valuable resource. It is meant, rather, to be a consolidated reference - a guidebook that provides information, techniques and strategies that have proven to produce success after success in the dental school application process. While some of this information may be available on the forum, this book is meant to provide information in an organized and useful fashion to conserve the valuable time of the reader. It is my effort to take the experience of myself and many others who have successfully created a vast array of opportunities for themselves in the dental field, and make it available to those who are ambitious and wish to aim high in their dental careers. And I have purposefully chosen to keep the book at an affordable investment of $40, a diminutive amount compared to the rewards at stake. If anyone would like a sample chapter from the book, you are welcome to contact Michael at [email protected] and he will be happy to work something out with you.

Third, I would like to address concerns that I saw voiced with regard to receiving an e-mail response from me. Unlike many businesses that might hire someone with little or no experience in the field, provide them with manuals, and place them at the other end of the e-mail, I choose to continue to personally answer all e-mails that I receive. I consider this critically important to preserving the integrity of the system that I am presenting. Because I am extremely busy in my own professional life, this may mean a brief delay at times in receiving a response. I apologize for this. However, you can be assured that the response you receive will be from someone who has personally experienced and helped many others successfully navigate the hurdles that you are facing.

Finally, I would ask with regard to future postings referring to my book, that unless posted by me under this same forum name, readers not assume postings that appear to be unduly promoting or ?hyping? my book to be coming from me. The integrity of my work stands without that type of promotion or hype. Should you have questions about the integrity of a posting, I am glad to be contacted directly through this forum for comment.

Best wishes to all of you pre-dental students out there! You have chosen an amazing profession that offers many personal gratifications!

Warmly,
Dr. Aly B. Kanani

I found useful a book by "Barron's" (the test prep company) called the the Barron's Guide to Medical and Dental School - on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764173758/ref=nosim/leonardodicap052/103-8388051-6216610

Useful stats and admissions process advice in easily readable format, very thorough.

Also a more personal book is "How to Get into the Right Dental School" by Carla S Rogers - on Amazon @ http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_4/103-8388051-6216610?v=glance&s=books

Very good "been there" advice (as a former admissions admin) for all the steps in the pre-app and application process, from college decisions to essay to interview to choosing a school, and even advice on decisions after dental school, and information about dentistry as a career.

Sure these books might sound good, but there is NO special way to get into dental school.......no secrets, no forumulas......NADA! Since you are already reading this forum, you are already a step ahead all the other predents out there applying.

The Dental application process is not difficult at all, and by reading this site and asking questions to actual students who have been through the cycle and not someone who is acting as a salesperson (sorry Dr. Kanani), save your money, cause you'll be more than ready.

Avin, you're wrong, there is a formula, but if I told you what it was, I'd have to kill you.