THE ultimate premed contest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's all post stories of THE ultimate, most pre-medy premed we have ever met... I met my first steriotypical pre-med last night:

I went to the first session of gen chem lab (... don't ask why I'm taking it *after* orgo lab...) and this girl started going off about, "So, I showed up for my biology class this morning, and the door was locked, and so I called facilities, and I told them because this door was locked, we were going to be late for our biology class! And he said it would be opened at 8:30. And I told him, you don't understand! We're going to be DOCTORS! And he started yelling at me!"

Then, later in the class, she said, all superior, "Well, when I was in college, I used to take out all the books out of the library so no one else would be able to write their paper. I mean, who cares about the late fees! This is about becoming a doctor."

Members don't see this ad.

Then, later in the class, she said, all superior, "Well, when I was in college, I used to take out all the books out of the library so no one else would be able to write their paper. I mean, who cares about the late fees! This is about becoming a doctor." [/B]

Nutty as a fruit cake.

What I noticed a lot was that premeds in my biochem, orgo, virology, and ect type classes all wanted to know exactly what you got on a test. It would drive them nuts when I would take my exam and put it directly into my bag without looking at it. I knew I studied like mad and got a good grade but they all wanted to play the I'm better than you game with me. I came here to learn and get my education, not to play games. Though, it was fun to watch them squirm wanting to know who got the highest grade in the class. :hardy:

Originally posted by Robz
Nutty as a fruit cake.

What I noticed a lot was that premeds in my biochem, orgo, virology, and ect type classes all wanted to know exactly what you got on a test. It would drive them nuts when I would take my exam and put it directly into my bag without looking at it. I knew I studied like mad and got a good grade but they all wanted to play the I'm better than you game with me. I came here to learn and get my education, not to play games. Though, it was fun to watch them squirm wanting to know who got the highest grade in the class. :hardy:

LOL! I totally understand you on this one! It's just too funny sometimes. I drive my friends mad by remaining mum about it. That way I don't have to reveal bad grades either :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes this whole process reveals the worst of people's personalities. Being a doctor is all about compassion and helping others, and when I see how premeds treat each other is so contradictory to the whole idea of being a doctor.
It's a good thing I am not in school anymore.

Originally posted by Anka
Let's all post stories of THE ultimate, most pre-medy premed we have ever met... I met my first steriotypical pre-med last night:

I went to the first session of gen chem lab (... don't ask why I'm taking it *after* orgo lab...) and this girl started going off about, "So, I showed up for my biology class this morning, and the door was locked, and so I called facilities, and I told them because this door was locked, we were going to be late for our biology class! And he said it would be opened at 8:30. And I told him, you don't understand! We're going to be DOCTORS! And he started yelling at me!"

Then, later in the class, she said, all superior, "Well, when I was in college, I used to take out all the books out of the library so no one else would be able to write their paper. I mean, who cares about the late fees! This is about becoming a doctor."

If you need help burying this girl's body, let me know.

(I don't normally condone violence but who cares! This is about becoming a doctor.):p

I dunno -- I'll probably get burned for saying this, but I just don't see being a doctor as all that glamorous. It's manual labor. No one who disempacts people's bowels for a living should look down on anyone else.

Anka

Originally posted by Anka
I dunno -- I'll probably get burned for saying this, but I just don't see being a doctor as all that glamorous. It's manual labor. No one who disempacts people's bowels for a living should look down on anyone else.

Anka

In moments of drunken candor, some doctors will admit to being glorified technicians.. or at least call other doctors that.

Originally posted by Robz
Nutty as a fruit cake.

Yes, I definitely agree with this one. You can always tell who the premeds are in your class on a day when a test is returned. They are always trying to sneak peaks at other people's tests. If the teacher announces the range of scores their eyes frantically dart around looking for the person with the highest score. If a premed is the one who scores the highest he will leave his test on his desk for all to see.

It is a shame that colleges and universities use grades as a sort of currency. Some people are good at memorizing and cramming for a test (I am not) and scoring well on that test. However, after the test is over they remember nothing.

Originally posted by ForensicPath
However, after the test is over they remember nothing.

It appears somebody released my autobiography prematurely...

:D

I like to see other peoples test scores. I I must have some pistols.

:laugh: GREAT thread idea!

I remember the first day of orientation at my undergrad, we had a meeting for students interested in medicine. The first girl I met said she was majoring in "premed". I said "Are you sure they offer that as a major? (they don't)". She responded, "Yes. My major is premed, and I am going to be a doctor!". strangely, she was one of the first students to change career paths in our class.

The younger classes were worse than us. It seemed like about half their gen chem students were "going to be" orthopaedic surgeons, and the other half, cosmetic dermatologists. One introductory biology student professed his destiny to be pediatric cardiology, because "i don't like Old People".

Among many, the best sentiments:

"I am going to be a doctor, because I don't want to work in a lab all day. I want to see people, preferably like sports medicine or something that doesn't have that any diseases."

"As soon as I get into medical school, I'm going to buy a Red Jeep. That would be so cool."

As for med school.... I had a dime for every time I heard a student say a doctor was "just" a PhD, I'd be rich. In fact, PhD's are generally the experts in a field.

Now that you mention it -- I remember in my first BioE class I took here at Penn hearing a guy and a woman, both freshmen, both interested in each other, talk about what they wanted to be when they growed up. The female student said she wanted to be a dermatologist, because of the lifestyle. The guy wanted to be a plastic surgeon, because, "surgery is a good thing for a guy, but I don't want to be up all night or anything."
*doh*!
Anka

My sister majored in English, with hopes of being a teacher. She decided to take the year-long biology 'for majors' sequence for kicks and giggles. After 3 months of constantly being turned down for creating study groups, she ultimately let it slip that she wasn't a bio major, and had no plans for med school. They then agreed to work in study groups with her, as it became clear she wasn't a threat.

"That's f***in' TEAM WORK!"

--Jack Black, Tenacious D

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always been interested in medicine and such, but once I got to college it seemed like most of my classes (i'm a bio major) were filled with only gunner pre-meds. I just didn't want to deal with the negativity and cut-throat competitiveness, so I decided I'd go for the PhD in genetics. I've recently come back around to medicine and decided I'd do it despite some of my classmates. Honestly, I think that these types have no business going into medicine. Medicine is about helping people, right? Some people just don't get it.

I think I'll take this opportunity to bash myself. I think that when I just came out of high school (I went to university for a few months, hated it, dropped out before I got a GPA) I had developed this "premed superior complex".

You have no clue what kind of things I did. Do you know that Richard guy off Van Wilder? I don't know why, but I convinced myself that he was my new idol. So what did I do? I took it upon myself to emulate him.

So I took the rest of the year off and I became obsessed with this "premed" style. I bought J. Crew chinos, Tommy Hilfiger polos and oxford dress shirts, Tommy Hilfiger ivy league jacket and I got all "prepped" up. I wasn't like $1500.00 on clothes and I was sure I was going to be like "the bomb".

Well, I realize how stupid that was. Premed is not clothes, it's not a mindset, it's nothing. There are two types of premed. The ones who are in their first year like me who say they are premed because they think they sound cool, but really have no idea what it takes or will take to get into medical school. Then there is the juniors and seniors who've got through their organic chemistry and all this and proven they've got what it takes.

Hint for people who were like me: Stop calling yourself premed. Don't ever use the word again. People resent you for it. It makes you sound like a complete cock. Tell them you're a biology major, or that you just like sciences. Once you've written your MCAT then call yourself a premed.

The best analogy I can compare is this. When I was a kid I used to want to "hack" computers. I'd go into these IRC channels and say "How can I hack hotmail accounts? I want to be a hacker. I am a hacker.". I wasted more time wanting to be called a "hacker" than I did learning to do the things hackers do.

Hope this made a little sense?

im mum about my grades as well..however when people ask me "how did u do?" and i reply, "fine" they are like, " so u got an A right?" LOL thats when i put on my poker face and they go "B?" "C?" "????" "WHAT??" and walk away in disgust.
why do premeds always want to guess your grade if you wont say it!!!???!?!?!?

I only know of one serious @$$hole premed at my school. But nobody likes him because he's arrogant and really preppy (especially compared to the rest of my school). smuwillobrien basically described this guy as himself. The guy has never described himself as a biology major unless pushed to it, it's always premed. But then again, I only have limited interaction with a lot of premeds, so I might just not be seeing them. I think I've picked out a couple female gunners in the crowds, but for the most part, premeds here seem relatively well-balanced.

there was this one loser in our class who wheeled around a suitcase full of his books. i guess it's technically a backpack on wheels but he seriously looked like he was about to get on a flight (Premed Airlines?). it was ridiculous.

anyway, this is the same guy that skipped out on taking his girlfriend (who he just got engaged to) out to dinner on valentine's day so that he wouldn't miss his mcat prep class. i don't know, i just thought that was wrong.

Anka.. by the way.. what school do you goto? because thats just utterly insane. i have never met anyone THAT zealous.

Originally posted by umass rower
I only know of one serious @$$hole premed

For a second there, I thought you were talking about Squat n Squeeze.
:D Where is that chump anyway?......

Thanks Anka. I love this thread too. haha

Just some thoughts:
I like to find out what people got on exams, not because they are competion when it comes to getting in medical school, but because I like knowing where I stand in the class. However, I am never rude enough to ask, I just pay attention to my surroundings.

I don't really have any "premed dick" stories. I do know of some premed gunner types who get an A on an exam and then talk about how they only studied a few hours beforehand and got drunk the night before at a party. After talking to a friend of theirs, however, I quickly discover that they had in fact stayed home and studies for countless hours.

I'm probably what one would call a "ghost premed". I show up for the class about when it starts, sometimes a little early, and then immediately leave when it is over. I don't hang around, I don't talk to these people, I avoid them.

The few who have gotten to know me a little really don't like me. I wear blue jeans and tshirts, or add an Italian black leather jacket in the winter. I don't talk about medicine or being premed, I talk about cars, chicks, violent video games, and doing cool stuff. My best friends are college dropouts or military. I don't give a **** if I make an A or a B on an exam, or even if I fail an exam. In the end, it really doesn't matter that much. I'm not neurotic. I am as un-premed as they come.

Hooray for me! :clap:

You basically described me xcept for a couple differences. I got in trouble for some stuff a year back, and now have to have a spotless app, so I really care about getting the A. But besides that, I don't hang around with any of the pre-meds. But, I have never come across anyone who was not willing to give help or share past exams if they have them. But that could be b/c I only have a couple pre-med acquaintances. Since I'm almost a senior, I'm happy to share tips with orgo to others taking it or whatever. I actually get a kick out of it b/c I remember how happy I am that it's over. But some pre-meds are plain obnoxious, I'll give you a funny story:

I wore my friend's shirt from that said "Yummy" on the front. This gunner pre-med girl comes up to me and says, why does it say "yummy" on your shirt? I turn around and show her what it says on the back: "UGA food services," ) Everyone else understood that the shirt is obviously a joke. She says, " I think that is so self-centered" and walks away (BTW, she looks like a truck ran over her face), I was speechless. Where's the sense of humor pre-meds? She saw me in the subway an hour later and walked away really fast in apparent fright, afraid to face me? LOL

~Alex

Originally posted by JKDMed

I'm probably what one would call a "ghost premed". I show up for the class about when it starts, sometimes a little early, and then immediately leave when it is over. I don't hang around, I don't talk to these people, I avoid them.

Hey, me too! I usually sit towards the front of my chem class and all around me are the "premed prissies" as I like to call them. They sit around talking about how they are premed sounding like they are so superior to everyone else. In my physics class was this one girl who was premed and she constantly argued with the prof and if SHE didn't understand something she made him repeat over and over saying "We can't go on till I understand this" like the whole class revolved around her. THAT'S WHAT OFFICE HOURS ARE FOR! DUH!!! ugh! it was so annoying. I prefer to get my education and then get outta there as quick as possible.

Originally posted by JKDMed

Are you me? Thats exactly what I do. I like to add the fact that I listen to metal and my friends would never be mistaken for premeds. I enjoy going to metal shows (Jagermeister tour in philly w/ Slayer!) and having a nice drink with my friends. I do not dress preppy. I am t-shirt and jeans all the way. Most of my shirts are black or dark blue. I wear a black zip-up hooded sweatshirt in the winter.

I am not unfriendly, I just do not go out of my way to talk to people. I never initiate conversation with someone I don't know and I do not engage in frivolous "hellos" in passing with people that I am only acquaintances with (unless they initiate it). I get the feeling that people are intimidated by me because I am not peppy and I listen to metal (heavy music is not popular on my campus).

I do my work and I try my best, but if I don't do well on an exam, I suck it up and realize that it is only an exam. The grading system at colleges annoys me and talking about it only makes me more annoyed.

I guess im one of those cavalier premeds everyone hates, and i am definitely in a state of drunken candor, so here goes.

there was this one girl in my intro chem honors class, chem 20AH for all you bruins out there, who'd convinced herself that being a doctor was the panacea she needed. during a study session i explained all of the complications that can occur during a Colonoscopy (as told to me by my more-cavalier-than-me MD-mentor) and she promptly decided that phd was the path for her.

"boo if ya want, ya know im right"

you tell it chris
yeah

As for dress, I never even knew there was a "premed" style on college campuses...lol. Will Ralph Lauren release a new "premed" line of clothes for the gentlemen and ladies currently in college and serious about their futures in medicine? What type of backpack would be considered "premed" worthy? Your run of the mill Jansport? Or the more spiffy, expensive North Face backpack complete with mesh pouches on the side to hold your water bottle and extra compartments for your TI-86 calculator and molecular model set? Maybe if I wear a T-shirt that has the periodic table on the front...will that make me "premed" worthy? I think some people take that title far too seriously. I don't even tell people I'm premed just because I really don't like all the baggage that comes with that label. The only people who know I'd like to go to med school are the folks on SDN (my sn might have something to do with it...lol). To everyone else, I'm just an integrative biology major who will consider his options after graduation and figure something out. I've founded an organization on my campus that has absolutely nothing to do with health-related issues at all (I run an educational outreach program) and I worked as an intern for a human rights organization in Oakland during freshman year. I tried to get as far away as possible from the "traditional" premed ECs (volunteering at the local hospital, joining **insert your campus here**'s honors premed society, etc). Someone from our honors premed society asked me if I would join because she knew how well I did in this upper div bio class...I just said, "No thanks"..turned around and walked away as fast as I could.

I think premeds get a worse rep than they deserve. Obviously there are some anal students out there, but I haven't run across many beyond the typical "what do we need to know for the test?" question askers. Then again, I'm also somewhat of a "ghost premed", but that doesn't stop me from having ears, and the conversations I hear are almost entirely about normal social stuff.

Originally posted by lytesnsyrens
In my physics class was this one girl who was premed and she constantly argued with the prof and if SHE didn't understand something she made him repeat over and over saying "We can't go on till I understand this" like the whole class revolved around her. THAT'S WHAT OFFICE HOURS ARE FOR! DUH!!! ugh! it was so annoying. .

You can think "ugh" all day and nothing will change.
If I were in that class, and it was in an auditorium, I would yell out "Go to office hours!," making sure that the prof didn't know I yelled it out. You guys need to take this **** into your own hands.

Of all the classes I've taken, profs will cut students off and tell them to go to office hours. they know it's a waste of their lecture time.

My school's premeds are always blatantly kissing the department head's ass. Most premeds describe him as so "smart, funny, and incredibile". Truth be told he is smart but totally socially inept. If he were not the department chair everybody would poke fun at his goofy ass.

My school's premed club is full of the most uptight bunch of premed ******s. I can't even get myself to go to one because the two or three times I went I had to leave early because it made me sick. Everyone is asking everyone else what their GPA/MCAT is and the younger premeds are asking what ACT/SAT scores are or who is national merit. It is sick.

I don't really have any premed bio-major friends. I think its healthy to have friends outside of the uptight premed circle. Let them raise each other's blood pressure.

Originally posted by Sophie
I think premeds get a worse rep than they deserve. Obviously there are some anal students out there, but I haven't run across many beyond the typical "what do we need to know for the test?" question askers. Then again, I'm also somewhat of a "ghost premed", but that doesn't stop me from having ears, and the conversations I hear are almost entirely about normal social stuff.

My thoughts exactly. I haven't run into any really crazy premeds, despite the fact that I go to a school that's infamous for its students' motivation and competitiveness. I think about 10 to 20 percent of premeds give us a reputation that the other 90 or 80 have to live with.

I hate to admit it, but I'm probably the most premedy premed I've ever met.

I borrowed my Chem professor's textbook over the summer so I could start studying early (but only because I'm taking Chem, Physics, and Calc II this semester). I go to office hours so professors will know who I am, not because I have questions.

I even babysit for my old poli sci professor.

Sorry guys.

Best answer to the test-Nazis when they demand your grade: "Why do you want to know?" When forced to explain why they're being such a**h***s they either say something really outrageous, good for entertainment value, or quickly demure.

My personal favorite: when those who normally flash their tests around suddenly bomb, and you get to watch them squirm while everyone waits for them to produce their paper. How's that feel?! Huh?

Thank you all for a mightily entertaining thread - on both ends of the spectrum. I would catiously suggest to those of you who are defiantly "anti pre-med" that in a way you're conforming to your own groups just as much as those other people are. Reminds me of people in high school who were all carefully "non-conformist" by wearing exactly the same clunky shoes, sporting exactly the same thrashed clothes, saying exactly the same "jaded" things. Just something you might want to consider in developing your own, lasting approach to life.

I seem to attract the attention of pre-med gunners; people are always asking about my grades and making snide comments to me. I think it's because I never share my test grades in class (I tell non-premed friends) and I don't socialize much after class, and I also never panic about tests or discuss them afterward. I've been told it's intimidating because I seem so confident. It's funny because sometimes I am the person with the highest grade, but usually I'm just somewhere around B+/A- on tests.

I refuse to go to my school's pre-med club meetings. What's the point? I go to meetings for extracurricular interests, not to talk about my classes and compare MCAT scores. Besides, the president is a particularly evil pre-med girl who I was once friends with, until her inner gunner surfaced. After I got the research job she wanted and she realized how well I was doing in our classes, she started making rude comments about how I'm not cut out to be a doctor because I don't have people skills, and she thinks I'm more suited to be a PhD. I informed her that I was doing both. She's also had the nerve to approach me in the libaray while I'm studying and quiz me on the material. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by R_C_Hutchinson
[there was this one girl in my intro chem honors class, chem 20AH for all you bruins out there, who'd convinced herself that being a doctor was the panacea she needed.

Panacea... It is a good thing I have my premedy pocket dictionary handy.

Humility is my favorite virtue so I don't show off my grades after tests and I never ask others about theirs. But, I admit I like it when they ask me what I got so I can take them down a notch or two.

Originally posted by Amit1
My school's premeds are always blatantly kissing the department head's ass. Most premeds describe him as so "smart, funny, and incredibile". Truth be told he is smart but totally socially inept. If he were not the department chair everybody would poke fun at his goofy ass.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is exactly how my premed classmates were in my undergrad. The guy who is the head of the pre-health committee likes to work out, and everybody always said, "Look, his shirts are so tight because he has such big muscles. He's so in shape and so wonderful and so (blah blah blah)" While the whole time this guy's shirts were tight because they are about 3 sizes too small...He even had all the male premeds kissing his ass...It was a very frightening thing. And the guy was a total jackass, and everyone kissed up to him anyway.

I hated my pre-med committee (still do to this day) +pissed+

Originally posted by Spacekat
I would catiously suggest to those of you who are defiantly "anti pre-med" that in a way you're conforming to your own groups just as much as those other people are. Reminds me of people in high school who were all carefully "non-conformist" by wearing exactly the same clunky shoes, sporting exactly the same thrashed clothes, saying exactly the same "jaded" things. Just something you might want to consider in developing your own, lasting approach to life.

Why does everyone think someone is trying to be nonconformist when they don't wear the typical college clothing (i.e. Abercrombie and Fitch and the like)? I dress purely for comfort and financial reasons (I don't see it necessary to spend $40 on a t-shirt from abercrombie and fitch). I'm perfectly happy with going to a price club or kmart and getting clothing there. It's inexpensive and usually just as good as designer clothing. I readily admit that I never understood those cliques in high school that all dressed the same, but if thats what makes them comfortable then so be it.

Originally posted by ForensicPath
I dress purely for comfort and financial reasons (I don't see it necessary to spend $40 on a t-shirt from abercrombie and fitch). I'm perfectly happy with going to a price club or kmart and getting clothing there.

Hey, I'm right there with ya. Comfy, inexpensive all the way. I was referring to the people who were being very self-congratulatory about being unique, but were really all doing the same thing. (read above).

Pre-med: "Nuel, what did you get on the micro test."
Nuel: "I flunked"
pre-med: more joking than be ever "be serious"
nuel: I said I scored a zero.

O-chem test scores, which I think most of the class flunked, will be released on monday. since there are no curves (a 75 will always be a C) I don't expect much queries.

My problem with "pre-med" is that in my opinion the only people who fall under this catagory are those who have been accepted into medical school. So many students go around flaunting that term who will never, ever, make it in to med school. I hate it when adults tell me their kid is pre-med and I am supposed to be impressed. Anyone can be pre-med, but whether they will make it to med is the question. For this reason, I always said I was interested in applying to medical school, or when the time came, I was in the process of applying.

Well said.

-X

Originally posted by ddmoore54

I hate it when adults tell me their kid is pre-med and I am supposed to be impressed. Anyone can be pre-med, but whether they will make it to med is the question.

Man, I don't know what to think. Since I'm majoring in Chem E, there's only one other person in a class of 100 students who plans on going to medical school, and so I guess I had my ideas of premeds all wrong. There's so much contempt for engineers in the world today, that I would try to make a point of letting people know that I didn't plan to be one myself. Ultimately, I've come to feel that chemical engineers are some of the least neurotic of engineers, and everyone else in my classes has always been very helpful and amicable. Despite the many bio classes I've taken, all of my friends are from my chemical engineering classes. I've got to say, I hope that ad coms try hard to eliminate people who look to sabotage others for their own benefit from their classrooms.

Originally posted by Nutmeg
There's so much contempt for engineers in the world today...

Whoever designed the roads in philly needs to be shot.

Dude, engineers are great! I never associated myself as a premed, until someone asked me why I was taking biochem and genetics my last semester, and I told them I was going to medical school (had already been admitted at that point).

Even now, I would rather associate myself with engineers than with medical students.........

For the record, EE and ChemE's are pretty neurotic.

Originally posted by Thundrstorm
Besides, the president is a particularly evil pre-med girl who I was once friends with, until her inner gunner surfaced. After I got the research job she wanted and she realized how well I was doing in our classes, she started making rude comments about how I'm not cut out to be a doctor because I don't have people skills, and she thinks I'm more suited to be a PhD. I informed her that I was doing both. She's also had the nerve to approach me in the libaray while I'm studying and quiz me on the material. :rolleyes:

that b1tch needs to be shot. :clap:

Originally posted by Finn
Humility is my favorite virtue

word! being humble is one of my golden rules. Apparently many americans don't know what humility is.

i sit in the last row ..seat 121 to be exact..under the projector room..i like sitting in the back ..very few premeds bk there..mostly just some dust bunnies and a few sleeping guys. bliss!

I used to sit in the back as well, but I have since moved to the front since I need to procure my LOR's within this and next semesters.

When I was a freshman, I used to tell everyone I was premed as well. Around my sophomore year, I realized that being "premed" wasn't really anything but just taking a sequence of 8 different courses of moderate difficulty.

Now, I don' teven mention medical school unless someone asks. Usually my conversations go like this:

Person: "So, what are you studying in college?"
Me: "I'm majoring in psychology"
Person: "Ah."
Strange Silence
Person: "So, what do you intend to do after school?"
Me: "Hopefully med school"
Person: "Ohh, what type of doc you want to be?"
Me: "Well, I have a few narrowed down, but I'll figure that out when and if I get in"

I figured as I got closer to actually going I would be more apt at telling people, but I found the opposite true. I figure if I don't get in, it will be socially easier if less people knew about my plans.