The Under 3.0 Club part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be a non-traditional applicant eventually, am 29 and just starting the process. But no worries, I should be a dentist before I can take out my IRA. :p

My cumulative GPA is 2.81 and science 2.83. One semester I had a 0.7 and was soon academically suspended. This was back in 1998. In 2003/04 I went back and finished up my senior year with a credit overload (18 in the Fall, worked in the Spring, and then 12 foreign language credits in one summer). Had a 3.21 then.

I've done very little science, so with some hard work and luck I should be able to get my cumulative up to a 3.0 and science up to a 3.5 to 3.6. Also expecting a very high DAT score as I've always done extremely well on standardized testing. I consider myself very lucky that the DAT appears to carry a lot of weight in the admissions process.

At any rate, even though I hope to bring it to over 3.0 eventually, I'm hoping that the Under 3.0 Club comes with lifetime membership as I'm beginning the process with a 2.8 including that one semester at 0.7! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to be a non-traditional applicant eventually, am 29 and just starting the process. But no worries, I should be a dentist before I can take out my IRA. :p

My cumulative GPA is 2.81 and science 2.83. One semester I had a 0.7 and was soon academically suspended. This was back in 1998. In 2003/04 I went back and finished up my senior year with a credit overload (18 in the Fall, worked in the Spring, and then 12 foreign language credits in one summer). Had a 3.21 then.

I've done very little science, so with some hard work and luck I should be able to get my cumulative up to a 3.0 and science up to a 3.5 to 3.6. Also expecting a very high DAT score as I've always done extremely well on standardized testing. I consider myself very lucky that the DAT appears to carry a lot of weight in the admissions process.

At any rate, even though I hope to bring it to over 3.0 eventually, I'm hoping that the Under 3.0 Club comes with lifetime membership as I'm beginning the process with a 2.8 including that one semester at 0.7! :eek:

Which cycle are you applying for? Wish you all the best :thumbup:

You're in the position that I'm in. As for right now, you're in the right track. Your positive in all of this is that you're going to show great improvement in your application, which dental schools love to see. They really don't mind the low gpa, just as long as there's substantial increases in your transcripts. Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in the position that I'm in. As for right now, you're in the right track. Your positive in all of this is that you're going to show great improvement in your application, which dental schools love to see. They really don't mind the low gpa, just as long as there's substantial increases in your transcripts. Good luck to you!

We're allllll in the same boat lol I hope we make it

Dear fellow 3.0 or lowers
I got my first rejection letter today.

What are your stats? gpa? DAT? undergrad? etc

BCP is 3.0
Culm is 3.2
DAT is AA- 23 TS-24 PA-T19
Undergrad ( can't say because I don't want ADcoms to figure out who Im) but I did major in Biology
not much EC, volunteering, Pre-dent experience

The rejection isn't news to me, I expected it due to my low GPA and lack of EC, volunteerr.. ect...

My defense is that I was working ( 7 days a week). It would be stupid for me to volunteer, or join the chorus when my own family struggle to pay the bills now wouldn't it? It's not an excuse, it's a fact of life. As for the Low GPA, that is my own fault, I didn't take college seriously because I thought it was easy like high school and of course I was working like a mule at the time. Obviously I was wrong. I'm not here to say how UPenn is wrong to reject me or that I deserve to be given an interview due to my circumstances or whatever. Everyone goes through hardship so using that excuse is just bull. I'll just try my best to succeed with what I got and I'm not worried because my past might slow me down but I believe my intelligence and drive to succeed will take me to where I want to go. I also want to stop at this point before I spit out a whole sermon and sound like a pompous bastard. :laugh: :D :D

BCP is 3.0
Culm is 3.2
Undergrad ( can't say because I don't want ADcoms to figure out who Im) but I did major in Biology

The rejection isn't news to me, I expected it due to my low GPA and lack of EC, volunteerr.. ect...

My defense is that I was working ( 7 days a week). It would be stupid for me to volunteer, or join the chorus when my own family struggle to pay the bills now wouldn't it? It's not an excuse, it's a fact of life. As for the Low GPA, that is my own fault, I didn't take college seriously because I thought it was easy like high school and of course I was working like a mule at the time. Obviously I was wrong. I'm not here to say how UPenn is wrong to reject me or that I deserve to be given an interview due to my circumstances or whatever. Everyone goes through hardship so using that excuse is just bull. I'll just try my best to succeed with what I got and I'm not worried because my past might slow me down but I believe my intelligence and drive to succeed will take me to where I want to go. I also want to stop at this point before I spit out a whole sermon and sound like a pompous bastard. :laugh: :D :D

Look sweetheart, I truly understand where you're coming from. Never focus on the past... keep your eyes on the prize and stay focus. You will be blessed very soon!!! People like you and I may not have the time and availability to get 400+ hrs shadowing or great volunteer work, but will make up for it in your ambition and intellect. Not everyone in D school has great gpa's or great DAT scores or **** hot EC. That's why the schools diversify it's student population. Stay focused!!!

pre-dentalguy and blue_moon01 what inspiring posts. We learn the lessons we need to learn in life when we are ready to receive them. We can't give up because we messed up! I hope we all can make up for it using our ambition and intelligence so we can finally achieve our dream.

We can do it!

Woo Hoo!!! Got my frist interview at Loma Linda! My first choice too. If I can do it anybody can.

I've been following this thread for the last 2 years and want to share with those in the same situation my progress. My undergrad GPA was a 2.89 in Computer Science. The past 2 years I've been taking prequistes at a CC. Kicked butt in all my classes. Did well on the DATs. Now its just the waiting game.

Where there's a will there's a Way!!!:)

I just joined the SDN. You guys are an inspiration to me just knowing that I am not alone makes a big difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woo Hoo!!! Got my frist interview at Loma Linda! My first choice too. If I can do it anybody can.

I've been following this thread for the last 2 years and want to share with those in the same situation my progress. My undergrad GPA was a 2.89 in Computer Science. The past 2 years I've been taking prequistes at a CC. Kicked butt in all my classes. Did well on the DATs. Now its just the waiting game.

Congratz! If u don't mind me asking...wut were ur DAT scores? and Science GPA? I hope you get in :thumbup:

blue_moon01, how were your LORs?

I waived my rights to see them so I don't know, my profs seem enthusiastic to write them. But they were the last thing submitted. I have three of my science profs to write them. They all sent it within one week to my health advisor in the first week of June. The health advisor quit before sending it to ADSAAS and I didn't know about it til early August. I called in and the new advisor sent it out in the last week of August.

hello everyone,
First of all this under 3.0 club is awesome!!! I am very new to this network but this club has given me alot of inspiration. I graduated last year with a very low gpa 2.86. and ever since then i have been pretty much repeating old classes to improve my grades. This is my first time applying to D school and I am very nervous. I first took my DATs and got 18 which is really bad i think because of such low gpa. But i am retaking the DATs again on the 20th of this month aiming for 20s. I know my chances of getting in for 2007 are very low so i was thinking about enrolling myself for the MBS program like some of you had suggested and i truly believe that is the best way to go. But my question is, if i get enrolled for it sept 2007 and apply to D school, would they consider my gpa for graduate school only for a quarter or two? I mean when I apply for 2007 cycle i would just be starting the MBS program that fall and wouldnt really have much chance to prove anything since they start interviewing by september and accepting by december that only leaves me with one quarter of proving right?

BCP is 3.0
Culm is 3.2

How many schools have u applied to? Maybe there is still some hope. Don't loose it, your DAT scores rock!!!

How many schools have u applied to? Maybe there is still some hope. Don't loose it, your DAT scores rock!!!

thnx for the encouragement. My DAT seems to be the average on SDN. I applied to 5 schools and ever since I found SDN ,I realized that I should have applied to more because most people on this site applied to at least 7. There are people who have even applied to 20+ schools. Geez, I can't imagine how much money they shelled out. I'm already sore from paying for my 5.

blue moon, I know exactly what you mean. I got into it on another thread with a guy who applied to so many schools and has 9 interviews and still worries if he will get accepted. Bc of ppl like that, who might not even show up at all of their interviews, it takes a while to get your turn. And yes I wish I have that much money to spend on fees and traveling to interviews, but I don't so I only applied to three schools. You are not alone, I know some ppl that applied to only ONE school!

But your scores are not average. The average acceptance for DAT scores is about 19 for many schools. Now few outrageously popular schools want to see 20 and above, which you DO have!

Your GPA is not too bad, but you definitely have DAT scores that will catch their attention. There is still time... and besides, they will continue to interview through February! (some even untill March!).

(p.s. Bunch of ppl on SDN like to brag so don't let that drag you down)

yay this gives me hope

if anyone else wants some inspiration i got an interview at WVU in two weeks with my crap gpa. I almost failed out of one school (1.90) I transferred and worked my way out of a huge hole. hard work does pay off.

if anyone else wants some inspiration i got an interview at WVU in two weeks with my crap gpa. I almost failed out of one school (1.90) I transferred and worked my way out of a huge hole. hard work does pay off.

Tell us about your stats and background.

I applied this year, so far all rejections. I graduated with GPA below 3. I am thinking going into post-bacc program but seems all the programs that I know are for the students with financial disadvantage background. I wonder if I'll have a chance to get in.

Also, for people who are 2nd year applying, what did you guys do? How many classes are you guys taking at a CC?

thanks

Izumi have you looked at midwestern univ bost bacc program? you should try that one if you are around the area or willing to move.

Tell us about your stats and background.
My story is that I went three to a state school almost failed out, i had a 1.9 and was put on academic probation. I really didnt care about college then and i had no real motivation and i wasnt in the right learning environment for me to learn in being a big school. So i pulled my gpa above a 2.0 so i could transfer to a private school with much smaller classes. Ive learned how to study and managed to maintain a 3.6 for the three years that i have been at this school. my past mistakes still clung on to me though by killing my overall combined gpa for the aadsas, but im hoping the adcoms will look past that and give me a chance to explain myself in an interview. as for the dat i studied for two weeks straight and got a 20/20/22. currently i have a interview at WVU, and have had rejections at case, indiana, asdoh, and unlv but i still got 8 schools i havent heard from. for all you low gpa people like me just hang in there and kick it in the ass.

How many prereqs have you taken at a CC? Also, which schools did you apply to that accept CC credits? I have some prereq CC credits and might get some more...I just don't wanna screw myself. What are your thoughts? PM me if you want.

Not sure how good my chances are. Had an undergrad GPA of 2.9, and science GPA of 2.7. Already finished one year of the post-bacc program at Upenn, and have a 3.8. Have an A or better in the upper level biology courses, including physiology, immunology, anatomy, histology, and biochemistry. However, flubbed a bunch of introductory courses and that is tanking my GPA.

My DAT scores are

AA:21
Gen chem: 19
Org Chem: 25
RC: 21
QR: 20
PAT: 18

Have already been rejected from Penn, Temple, and am waiting on others. Thought I might have had a chance, though I am no longer sure. Should I retake the DAT, or pursue a master's program ?

Is there anyone here who got into Case with a GPA under 3.0?

Not sure how good my chances are. Had an undergrad GPA of 2.9, and science GPA of 2.7. Already finished one year of the post-bacc program at Upenn, and have a 3.8. Have an A or better in the upper level biology courses, including physiology, immunology, anatomy, histology, and biochemistry. However, flubbed a bunch of introductory courses and that is tanking my GPA.

My DAT scores are

Have already been rejected from Penn, Temple, and am waiting on others. Thought I might have had a chance, though I am no longer sure. Should I retake the DAT, or pursue a master's program ?

IMO, I think your stats are pretty good. Don't know exactly why Temple would reject you. What kind of EC's do you have? On another note, if you're a minority, you want to check out McHerry or Howard or even Creighton. And no, I wouldn't recommend retaking the DAT. Your scores are fairly good.

My DAT scores are

I'm surprised w/ the penn rejection, considering you did hte postbacc w/ them and you must have formed some connections w/ them.. hmm..did they give you a reason as to what was particularly lacking with you app? 'cause yeah, your postbacc gpa and dats look pretty darn good to me. sorry to hear this. just wait and see is my advice. you did all the right things, i am sure it will work out in the end. good luck! feel free to pm me if you need more input.

I'm surprised w/ the penn rejection, considering you did hte postbacc w/ them and you must have formed some connections w/ them.. hmm..did they give you a reason as to what was particularly lacking with you app? 'cause yeah, your postbacc gpa and dats look pretty darn good to me. sorry to hear this. just wait and see is my advice. you did all the right things, i am sure it will work out in the end. good luck! feel free to pm me if you need more input.

Euphoria is right!! Just wait a bit to see how things go!!

IMO, I think your stats are pretty good. Don't know exactly why Temple would reject you. What kind of EC's do you have? On another note, if you're a minority, you want to check out McHerry or Howard or even Creighton. And no, I wouldn't recommend retaking the DAT. Your scores are fairly good.

Temple gave a very brief letter, simply stating that the pool was competitive, and that they would be happy to answer any questions in April. Those minority programs sound like great second chances... too bad I'm not a mnority though.

My EC's included the outdoor club, working as a rock climbing instructor, 740 hours volunteering at a public health clinic, 140 hours volunteering at a faculty practice, and researching in oral medicine. I thought I might have had a 50/50 shot at getting an interview, but I guess God has other plans for me.

I'll be sure to PM you after I calm down a bit and start thinking more rationally. I was/still am pretty bummed from the rejection. My research advisor at Penn Dental was pretty surprised as well. The admissions director, Corky Cacas... I'm not sure why she decided to toss my application in the refuse bin, but I'll be sure to ask her the next time I run into her.

On a positive note though... I did get an interview offer from NYU this afternoon :)

excellent! congrats on the interview invite. in the end, you only need one solid interview.

dont be too bummed out, your stats and ECs are good. i am sure you will be fine in the end. its only november.

Isn't there anyone who got into Case with under a 3.0? That's my first choice.

I am around a 2.9 cumlative, I don't what my science gpa is, but I am studying hard to ace the DAT's...

If anyone got into Case with under or around a 3.0, please PM me, I would appreciate speaking to someone!

Thanks! Jdreb

Nova does not look at applicants wholestically. I was rejected.

MY ECs were awesome, my LORs are tops, my DAT AA20, TS22 PAT17 GPA exactly 3.0

Application and DATs were submitted and taken in the mid-late part of summer.

I know of applicants in my school that have the same DATs and no ECs, but have GPAs of 3.5 or higher that received interviews at Nova.

If you have a GPA lower than 3.5, save your money, do not apply to Nova.

Nova is attempting to become prestigious overnight! Current D-1s at Nova from my school were accepted with 17, 18, and 19 on their DATs.

Nova does not look at applicants wholestically. I was rejected.

MY ECs were awesome, my LORs are tops, my DAT AA20, TS22 PAT17 GPA exactly 3.0

Application and DATs were submitted and taken in the mid-late part of summer.

I know of applicants in my school that have the same DATs and no ECs, but have GPAs of 3.5 or higher that received interviews at Nova.

If you have a GPA lower than 3.5, save your money, do not apply to Nova.

Nova is attempting to become prestigious overnight! Current D-1s at Nova from my school were accepted with 17, 18, and 19 on their DATs.

Im sry about that buddy... just keep your head up.

Im sry about that buddy... just keep your head up.

Hey kids!

I have the best news for us fellow 3.0ers!!!

I got an Interview from Columbia University!

This confirms to me that Nova did not even take one sec to review my application.

How crazy is that?!

Nova rejection received on Tuesday and Columbia interview received on Thursday!

Congrats! what day will you be there?

Hey kids!

I have the best news for us fellow 3.0ers!!!

I got an Interview from Columbia University!

This confirms to me that Nova did not even take one sec to review my application.

How crazy is that?!

Nova rejection received on Tuesday and Columbia interview received on Thursday!

You must have one hell of a DAT score...good job

Congrats! what day will you be there?

I got late in the evening when my mom went to check the mail.

I'll call tomorrow because I have to schedule it.

A friend of mine scheduled her interview at Columbia two weeks ago, and the closet date avai is in Feb of '07

Good luck to you all!

hey everyone!
I've posted on this thread a few times before. I'm just wondering if any of you can relate to my situation.
Well, much like many of you, my gpa is under a 3.0. According to aadsas I have about a 2.72 overall, but my bcp is 3.23. I've done really well in all of my bio, chem, and physics classes, no Cs except the first time I took gen chem, got a D. I just really messed up all of my gen eds. Anyway, that was four years ago. Now, because I wasn't accepted to dental school last year, I'm taking graduate biomedical courses. I'm taking 10 hours, and volunteering because I couldn't find a job. I feel VERY lazy. Next semester I have a job lined up, and I think I'll be doing much better. I'm just the type that can not perform unless i'm challenged, you know? That is why my gen eds suck, why I'm not doing as well as I should be now. I've taken out 15,000 for this year to take all these classes and I just feel like I'm not working to my potential. I feel so stagnant. I'm not incredibly interested in my classes, I feel like I just sit around all day. I just don't know what my problem is. I think part of it is I'm so disapointed in my situation. I know I would make a great dentist, I've worked as a dental assistant for my uncle for years. I just hate being stuck here, doing nothing. Its like deep down inside I think I won't make it, yet I can't imagine not making it. Its a hard feeling to explain, but I"m sure someone out there can relate.
Another thing is, it really gets to me when I see people I know getting into the professional schools of their dreams, and I know I'd never want them to be my dentist, doctor, etc. I feel like professional schools are not looking at the right people. Not that I think i'm so much better than all of them, but I truly feel I, and a few other people I know deserve a spot somewhere. It is extremely frustrating.
ok, done venting, just needed to get that out. It has been a stressful week

hey everyone!
I've posted on this thread a few times before. I'm just wondering if any of you can relate to my situation.
Well, much like many of you, my gpa is under a 3.0. According to aadsas I have about a 2.72 overall, but my bcp is 3.23. I've done really well in all of my bio, chem, and physics classes, no Cs except the first time I took gen chem, got a D. I just really messed up all of my gen eds. Anyway, that was four years ago. Now, because I wasn't accepted to dental school last year, I'm taking graduate biomedical courses. I'm taking 10 hours, and volunteering because I couldn't find a job. I feel VERY lazy. Next semester I have a job lined up, and I think I'll be doing much better. I'm just the type that can not perform unless i'm challenged, you know? That is why my gen eds suck, why I'm not doing as well as I should be now. I've taken out 15,000 for this year to take all these classes and I just feel like I'm not working to my potential. I feel so stagnant. I'm not incredibly interested in my classes, I feel like I just sit around all day. I just don't know what my problem is. I think part of it is I'm so disapointed in my situation. I know I would make a great dentist, I've worked as a dental assistant for my uncle for years. I just hate being stuck here, doing nothing. Its like deep down inside I think I won't make it, yet I can't imagine not making it. Its a hard feeling to explain, but I"m sure someone out there can relate.
Another thing is, it really gets to me when I see people I know getting into the professional schools of their dreams, and I know I'd never want them to be my dentist, doctor, etc. I feel like professional schools are not looking at the right people. Not that I think i'm so much better than all of them, but I truly feel I, and a few other people I know deserve a spot somewhere. It is extremely frustrating.

Keep your head up. Things will eventually work out in your favor and you WILL be blessed. You have to remember to STAY focused on your goal. Do whatever it is you have to do to stay locked on your dream. DJ, if this is something that you really want, than get your **** together and stop drowning in your sorrows. I mean, hell, I had a undergrad gpa of a 2.72 with a BS in Business; not even a science major. I had an undergrad sci gpa of about a 2.9. I completely sucked in undergrad man.

Now, I'm in a Masters program with a gpa of 3.7 and I'm taking my prereq's and doing well with grades of no less than a "C". My overall gpa has gone up to a 3.3 and my sci gpa has also increased greatly. Im due to take the DAT in the upcoming summer. Now, if I can keep my head up and keep my self focused, then so can you. Don't listen to a lot of these guys on the network that have 3.8's and DATs of 23's. They could never understand. I feel your pain though man. Be easy and stay locked and loaded.

Good luck to you.

hey everyone!

Hi!
As a reapplicant and someone who is still waiting to hear from schools I can relate to your situation. It sucks. I would give anything to at least have one interview under my belt. But at the same time, you have to keep going. Thinking you are not going to get in won't help you in the end. I too have taken out a nice chunk of loans for the classes I am taking. On the hard days what keeps me going is to make the most of that money and my time while keeping my goal in sight.

I really don't blame the schools. They have a vast pool of applicants and limited measures to decide on who gets in or not. They are looking for applicants who can handle the pressures of dental schools without breaking down in midst of it all. For those of us under the 3.0, we have to prove to them that we can do it. Despite how badly you want to be a dentist, or how much you enjoy the field, if you can't cut it, its pointless for them to accept you and then have you drop out when you are 200 grand in debt. You are an investment and they want to make sure the end result is lucrative both for you and themselves.

So, don't zone out now! Keep going! Your science gpa is not bad and you really don't want to be in this place again come next year.

I hate to think of things this way, but in my case, I have already hit rock bottom. There's only one way for me to go - up. :/

Best of luck with everything! PM me if you like..

Hey everyone, this is my 2nd post on SDN, and I dont think I fit into the under 3.0 club... but I truly feel that my GPA just isnt very good.

Cumulative GPA: 3.2
Overall Science: 3.0
DAT: 18/18/17
Bio: 18
OCH: 20
GCH: 16 (Not good)
RC: 20
QR: 15 (Ouch?)

I just dont think I have the numbers to get me in anywhere... I applied late too (October), and AADSAS sent my application at the beginning of November.

I applied to 11 schools: UF, Nova, BU, UPenn, VCU, USC, Temple, Tufts, NYU, Howard, and Marquette.

I feel like there is no hope for me... Do I even have a chance?
I have only 60 hours of shadowing, but I truly love dentistry, and am willing to do whatever it takes to get me in.

I just feel lost, and without purpose at this moment... I dont know what I will do if I dont get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.