The Under 3.0 Club part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2thdk,
how did you manage to get into a graduate program?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by PERFECT3434
...I HAVE APPLIED TO 32 SCHOOLS...

:wow: Now I'm REALLY beginning to wonder if there is anyone who actually applied to ALL 54 dental schools..

That's a heck of an investment there in terms of app fees!

my girlfriend's brother applied to all the schools. ended up going to USC.

Members don't see this ad :)
:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: !!!

Any particular reason why? I would imagine there are some pretty obvious schools he shouldn't have applied to, for example certain state schools that he would have near-zero chance of getting into due to residency requirements.

I APPLIED TO 32 SCHOOLS AND I HONESTLY HAVE SPENT ABOUT 6000 ON MY APPS AND NOW PREPARING FOR INDIANA INTERVIEW.

I PROBABLY WILL HAVE A HEART ATTACK IF NEXT YEAR COMES AND I AM NOT IN A DENTAL SCHOOL.

I FEEL VERY SORRY FOR MYSELF AND OTHERS LIKE ME WHO DON'T HAVE A TON OF MONEY TO WASTE AND STILL BE LEFT UNCERTAIN.

LETS HOPE FOR THE BEST!

good luck too you perfect. I feel your pain. I will probably apply to 20 plus school when my turn comes around next year.

How centralized is the application process? I downloaded at took a look at the common application.

I can't believe what I'm reading. 20+ schools? Are you serious? If you're chances are that slim, try another line of work. The desperation is pathetic.

if you're just going to troll, please don't post.

people come here for advice and are trying to learn how to best use their time in order to pursue a career that they are interested in. you have no right to judge another person when you dont' even know the person except through some internet persona...

blankguy,

Sorry it took so long to get back. I took one semester and a summer of graduate classes as a student-at-large. My school, Northern Illinois University, has a policy where if you get a 3.2 or above in graduate level courses and get a decent GRE score, they will overlook your previous grades. I got a 3.8 and had my instructors from the graduate level courses write me letters of recommendation. Since these were teachers that the admissions board knew, I think it helped. Just make sure that the classes you take can transfer in and count towards the degree once you're accepted. They have a cap on how many credits they allow to transfer in.

My advice would be to order a graduate catalog from where you want to apply and READ it THOROUGHLY. You never know when you might find some hidden loop hole. I really needed something to stand out since my first 70 something credits really messed up my GPA. It's hard to recover when I have to count these classes that I initially messed up, even though I retook all of them once I had my head out of my a$$.

Hope this helps,

2thDk

I know a guy who applied to every dental school last year. He was accepted to one school and had a 4.0 GPA. I should add that his essays and personal statement were poorly written and full of grammatical errors that could have been easily corrected. In addition, his appearance, interviewing skills and demeanor would easily dismiss him.

Nonetheless, I think applying to many schools can hurt you. I think schools will not take you as seriously if you apply to more than 12 schools. I applied to 10 school. And if you have a low GPA like myself, it's almost a waste of time to apply to state schools at which you are not a resident. All you are doing is padding their budget when applying to state schools w/ low stats.

I would focus on private schools. Finally, apply to schools that you can see yourself realistically going to. If you know you aren't going to be happy in a particular city, I wouldn't encourage you to apply there. Most of the time, it's a waste of money and you will probably end up cancelling those interviews anyway.

Good luck guys

Just talked to the premed dean at my alma mater. Recommends structured post-bacc program with strong letter of recommendation from the doctor that I work with and I should be all set(aside from explaining my poor record). The catch is how can I get in a post-bacc with my poor record? Checked and talked to a couple of places. BU post bacc only admits 10 a year!:eek:
No exceptions from their minimum GPA 3.3 and I just talked to them. What's the point getting into post bacc if I repeat almost all the requirements as a nonmatriculated student?:confused:

Ran by the dean the suggestion to take further courses, says its an issue of $$$$ and time. Those additional courses are not necessary. The usual of hadn't had a student in my position:mad:
comment but has been on the job for 3 yrs.

They require recommendations 2 one from faculty preferably require scores from SAT or GRE which is a pain:mad:

I agree with your advisor's decision. Structured post-bacc is the way to go. It's why I chose post-bacc over Masters. Go to the post-bacc page. There are several post-bacc programs. Unfortunately, you may have to end up traveling out of Boston. If you want to go to dental school this bad, the sacrifice is worth it.
I don't think Harvard or Columbia has GPA restrictions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard is unusual in that they sponsor you after taking all the courses. I just talked to the person in charge of post bacc at brandeis they have no GPA cutoff but they average around 3.0.
However its expensive and take it daytime just like an undergrad.
My fear is that even if I took a science course somewhere else to try to prove to them that I can handle science, they are going to look at my transcript and remember my struggles with orgo and turn me down. I would have to take orgo and general chem somewhere else and then apply but that would mean I would have taken 1/2 the courses already. Any suggestions on outside boston? Just don't tell me to go the west coast:laugh:

I'm getting vey confused on one hand the dean in my alma mater says that my old courses are so old dental schools will only look at them for GPA purposes and the fact that its in the record so all I need is to take the more current courses(repeating since so old) make sure I do well(B+, -A I suspect he is low balling here) and then get a great reference from a doctor and good score on DAT I'll be all set. The people on this board are saying it is not enough to do that take more courses and make it as rigorous as you can(without risking not getting As). Is my advisor making sound easier than it is?

ubtom,
i applied to 32 schools thinking that i may mximize my chances of getting accepted.
seriously i am still not sure if i will get accepted anywhere with my stats.

i hope i am wrong

I was told by several adcoms that they want to see a minimum of 1 years worth of science classes.

UOP admissions were the most upfront and honest out of all the adcoms. They are willing to forgive a person with a really low GPA on two conditions

1. They must show an upward trend in grades for 6 quarters or 4 semesters worth of grades. For a semester, they are looking for nothing less than 15 hours with at least 3 science classes per semester. For a quarter, UOP is looking for at least 2 science classes at 12 hours for sufficiency. In addition, they said that they wouldn't accept anything less than a B grade in these classes.

2. 20 AA on DAT and at least an 18 + for the PAT.

Mind you this is for candidates with really low GPA's who are trying to make up for a weak academic record.

Does this mean 3 science courses for 2 yrs for UOP?

Also will 2 courses with their respective labs will they take that as 3 courses or does it have to be 3 lecture courses?

Also the Harvard Extension school has this basic prereqs listed as one lecture course but it includes lab, how will they intepret that?

It seems that Harvard Extension School is the way to go for now. Maybe I take a few courses(to remove doubts due to my dubious record on the sciences 10+ years ago)try to apply to a post bacc like Brandeis which doesn't have a GPA cutoff.

Originally posted by blankguy
Does this mean 3 science courses for 2 yrs for UOP?

Also will 2 courses with their respective labs will they take that as 3 courses or does it have to be 3 lecture courses?

3 lecture courses with or without labs. Not all of my classes include lab.

Also the Harvard Extension school has this basic prereqs listed as one lecture course but it includes lab, how will they intepret that?

A lot of schools don't list the lab separately. You will be fine.

It seems that Harvard Extension School is the way to go for now. Maybe I take a few courses(to remove doubts due to my dubious record on the sciences 10+ years ago)try to apply to a post bacc like Brandeis which doesn't have a GPA cutoff.

If you are doing well at Harvard, stick with Harvard. You don't have to be formally enrolled in the program as long you are taking enough courses. It's not like those programs provide an extra B.S. degree. Some do like my program. But those programs provide a certificate which essentially means nothing. So even if you aren't formally in their program, it doesn't matter as long as you get the classes. Also, these programs have linkage programs with medical schools. That the main appeal of them. People go there hoping the linkage aspect will put them in medical school the following year. However, most of those schools don't offer a linkage program with a dental school so you lose nothing by not formally being part of their post-bacc program.

So it means 3 lecture courses regardless of whether they come with labs or not(i.e. labs are excluded from the count).

And I have to sustain that for 2 yrs. Just reiterating to make sure I understand what they meant.

At this point Harvard is my only option, all other programs have GPA cutoffs.:(

I think at this point I'll be looking to start slow. Just take one science course and see how it feels.

Must...not...let...this...thread...die...:sleep:

I propose turning this thread into a sticky.

Hope you all are well :)

As a well and alive member of this club ( read my post strange circumstances)...I had a question..

As I am sure many of you have, I have faced some really hard time the last few years which have led to grades which do not fit my intelligence level...now my question is, do dental schools want to know why i did so bad, I have written a very strong essay on my experiences and would like to submit my ADSAAS today, but am having second thoughts on whether adcoms will want to know all this information about my life or if they will just think its some sort of excuse...

what do u all think?

--N

DO NOT give out all the info in your personal statement ; leave some out for your interview. thats what the interview is for. in your PS, write things that would attract their attention and make them want to meet you and hear the rest of your stories. we all have had rough days, would you like to hear about mine??? i know you dont, so ad coms dont want to read 1000 such essaye either. have your grades and application in such a way to grant you an interview, during the interview you can say all that you want.

good lcuk to you.

Comet

ok guys i need your advice on this.

i got a 15 on my DAT RC section, but did well in the rest of the sections. I also had to take the TOEFL exam for Minnesota school and i did well on that too (everyone should do well on TOEFL).

I am wondering if i should fax the rest of the schools my TOEFL scores to maybe show them that i am capable of doing better in english.

what you guys think?

WHERE ARE ALL MY UNDER 3.0 FRIENDS?
COME ON GUYS I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUTS. NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE.

Perfect3434:

With your GPAs and your 19/18 DAT, Minnesota Dental will be a challenge for you. Although MN Dental will consider your application since you have a cumulative GPA above a 2.5, the entering classes in the past have had much higher GPA averages. Your DAT scores are around what MN is looking for. Also note that MN Dental is a GPA school (they emphasize GPA much more than the DAT).

Your 15 in Reading Comprehension "may" burden you from schools that emphasize on DAT, such as UOP. Since reading is crucial in dental curriculum, some dental schools may see your 15 as a red flag.

As far as sending your TOEFL score to the dental schools that you had applied to, it may be a good idea to make up that 15 in Reading Comp on the DAT, given that you really did excel on the TOEFL (over 90 percentile). If your TOEFL score is below a 90 percentile, I would say skip sending it to anyone unless that specific dental school require you to submit one.

Overall, your picture looks like this:

2.97 cumulative GPA
19/18 DAT

You'll have to shine during your interviews my friend! NYU will definitely extend you an invite, others, we'll just have to see. Good luck in your application process.

Andy
Club Founder
"I'm not only the CEO, but I'm also a member!" (like the Hair Club for men commercial) :laugh:

Congrats! :clap: Go knock them dead!! There are several UConn dental students lurking on SDN, be sure to hit them up for advice a head of time and possibly even meet them if you're lucky. :D

Wow, everyone - even with 3.0 GPAs can get into Dental School! IMPRESSIVE! :)

My science GPA is below a 3.0, so I guess I can be part of the club ; ).

I'm just wondering, Yah E or anyone else, you seem to have a lot of knowledge about applying and other info on getting into Dental school.. so I have a few questions.. Since you applied to dental school after undergrad - did you not want to be a dentist when you were an undergrad? Or was it because of your low GPA as an undergrad, you decided to postpone your applying to dental school? And, do you know if dental schools like applicants who worked for a few years then go back to school to apply? Are straight out of college undergrads at a disadvantage? Sorry if I'm not making any sense .. but I am an undergrad right now .. thinking of applying to dental school next summer .. um, but I never heard of this that you can take the pre-reqs after undergrad and then apply .. a new concept to me.

well take care!

- Erica

Although there are many of us with below 3.0 GPA that have gotten into dental schools, we had to work harder a lot more and then prove to the admissions committee a lot more.

I, personally did not apply directly out of my undergraduate education simply because I did not have the appropriate numbers (GPA and DAT) to make me a competitive applicant. I would've wasted my application money and then had to deal with the horror of rejections.

Dental schools do not care if an applicant is directly out of the undergraduate studies or have worked for few years then came back to academics. As long as the applicant has the prerequisite courses completed and good numbers then dental schools are cool. Since every dental school seeks diversity (so they say), sometimes it almost looks better when an applicant is more mature in age and apply with unique life and/or work experiences under their belt (second career applicants, military experiences, etc.).

It really is who you are and what will make you stand out more than other applicants that will count. You first need the numbers and if you don't have the numbers, then you must work harder and further to gain those numbers. Once you have the numbers, then you can apply and compete with other applicants for admission. If it takes you an additional 3 or 4 years to gain those numbers and to make you a more competitive candidate, then you should use that 3 or 4 additional years. You need to do what ever it takes to make you competitive.

I had a below 2.5 cumulative undergradute GPA, but the following is what I have sacraficed to get where I am today:

1) retaking over 40 semester credits worth of undergradute classes

2) use additional 2 years (6 years total I spent at the University of MN) to increase my cumulative undergraduate GPA

3) use an additional year to build a post bac/graduate GPA at a private school

4) borrow additional 60 THOUSAND dollars in student loans to support those additional 3 years of education after my undergraduate degree

5) retake the DAT again

6) start dental school at the age of 27

7) leave my family and friends behind and go out of state for post-bac program and dental school

8) prove to everyone including advisors, family, friends, dental school admission personal, faculty, and myself that I can do it and I mean business

You can ask anyone with low GPAs that have gotten into dental schools, our journey to success was not a short and simple one. It not only takes patience, determination, time, but it also costs a lot financially.

I am a strong believer of "you earn what you get". If you work hard, then you will be rewarded. Don't believe a second that having a 3.0 is enough to get in a dental school, admission is getting more competitive as each year rolls on.

I once received a quote which I still kept dear to my heart to date:

"Your best three doctors are patience, time, and faith."

Have patience that you'll get there.....
Let time passes itself, you can't hurry time..take one exam and semester at a time.....
Have faith in yourself that you can do it....

erica,

since you are still in undergrade school, i think that you can make yourself to be where you should be.
i don't know ehere your GPA is but if you can, seiously try to get it to 3.00 at least. you have no idea how much this will help you.
with a 3.00 and 20/20 DAT you should have a very good chance.

It would be great if u can e mail me at [email protected]. I wanted to ask u a few questions about dentistry and about stats and stuff! Thanks, and hope to hear from u soon.

by the way, i was talking to Yah - e

I am also a struggling student hoping to get into dent school, my current average is like 6.4 on a nine point scale (University of Alberta is weird). thats like a 2.8 or so. Nice to see so many people like me actually getting in, gives me encouragement

My GPA is really low (2.4) and current dat is aa 17 and pat 13 I will retake the DAT again in DEC. Anyone who can give me advice would be apreciate. I really want to go to dental school. I have graduate from school since 2000. Thanks

Originally posted by Nobita
My GPA is really low (2.4) and current dat is aa 17 and pat 13 I will retake the DAT again in DEC. Anyone who can give me advice would be apreciate. I really want to go to dental school. I have graduate from school since 2000. Thanks

You are definately going to need +20s on your DAT. Are you a minority (african american, native american, Hispanic)? If yes, I would suggest applying to Meharry and Howard.

Also, look into a post bac or masters to get you GPA a shot in the arm. It may take you longer, but you get to where you want to be!

Good luck!

please- you must not let this thread die and disappear.

any news with my other under 3 friends??

keeping the thread alive--

brozhers and sistas in the under 3 land...though i have not heard back from anywhere yet,( i am taking the DAT next week) I just wanted to encourage you all to develop some sort of relationship with the admissions people at every school you are applying to, whether by regular emails or phone calls...it sounds obvious..but with our numbers, we can easily be rejected....with a relationship there, though, they may take the time to look through everything else and give us a chance instead of looking at our gpa and simply throwing us in the reject pile...
just getting to know people has helped me get awesome research grants and get into the Honors Program at the school I go too ( top 25 in the nation) despite of my very low GPA..talking can take you far..they have to see the passion!

-N

also it will really help if everyone keeps updating their info on the stats thread. if you don't know how, please ask.

i see that there are several people in the under 3, but no stats?
whats the issue here? come on, please don't have all the high stats posted only. if SDN is to help, i think everyone should participate and post. it won't kill you!

Originally posted by PERFECT3434
also it will really help if everyone keeps updating their info on the stats thread. if you don't know how, please ask.

i see that there are several people in the under 3, but no stats?
whats the issue here? come on, please don't have all the high stats posted only. if SDN is to help, i think everyone should participate and post. it won't kill you!

You have to have lower than a 3.0 to post in this thread? I was not aware. I apologize for that.

Good Luck!

Hi everyone, here are my current stats from AADSAS

University of Texas at San Antonio
Science GPA- 3.71
NonScience GPA- 3.64

I will earn my bachelors degree in Biology this Spring Semester, have taken Biochem(A), Microbiology(A), Genetics(A), Physiology(B). I have shadowed and worked for an Orthodontist, and Oral Surgeon(alot of hours), have done alot of community service, founded a greek fraternity on campus. I took the DAT in July of 2001, and here are my scores

AA-18
Chem-20
Bio-18
Org-17
Total Science-19
PAT- 15-OUch!!
Reading-16-OUCH!!
Math-17

I am retaking the DAT in the end of October, and am applying to the following schools-

NYU, Tufts, Temple, CSW, Nova, UOP, USC, Baylor, UTHouston, Loma Linda, Illinos, BU, UCLA, UPENN, Columbia

I got waitlisted at NYU last year, if you guys could help me out with any advice, I would really appreciate it, it seems like the stats on SDN are phenomenol, and hopefully I get into dental school this year, whichever school, thanks

Rupesh

You're posting on the wrong thread, your GPA is way above 3.00.

Study more on your DAT, I am sure that you will get in somewhere this year. Your grades are good, you have valuable work experience. Make sure that you get good letters of recommendation and revised your personal statement.

Good luck.

my bad, i meant a 2.64 and 2.71, I guess all this studying for the DAT has gotten to me, I wish I had a 3.64 an 3.71, anyways thanks for the reply, any other suggestions

Rupesh

can I join this club too ?

here is my GPA according to ADEA

BCP: 2.83
Science: 3.0
Non-Science: 2.98
Acumulative: 2.98

i think that anyone could join this club if they feel that they can help.

the only thing i am not happy about in this club is that many people haven't posted their stats in the stats thread.

I second that Perfect. Could everyone try to post their stats in the stats thread as well. It would benefit everyone. Thank you.

We shouldn't let this thread die. Why not turn this into a stickie?
Also how about including age in the statistics as well, since there might be people browsing who might be discouraged due to being "too old"?

I took the DAT today, my sad story is posted up in the DAT section....

Anyways..here goes the embarassing stats.

University : Top 25 in the Nation, and in Honors Program.
GPA : 2.7 ( science and non science) Graduating college in three years, with BA in Political Science
Background: Have come from extremely negative circumstances which have been relayed to ADCOMS, impressive personal statement. Immense Leadership in College, President of various organizations, Research in Dental Lab and shodowing of dentists and dental students....have worked myself through school

DAT:
AA 19/ PAT 16
( yes, i have cried about this enough)
I might retake it in Dec?

ADSAS: Submittied August 28, Sent out to colleges this week.
Schools Applied:
Temple, Tufts, NYU, Detroit-Mercy, BU, UNC ( state resident)

Basically after my DAT experience today I dont have ANY hope of getting admission into dental school this year. But miracles do happen..and thats all I will leave it at.

Encouragment always welcome! :)

I wish you all the best, we come from different places..some of us made mistakes..others have had tragic circumstances...our grades I hope wont follow us all of our lives...if we want it enough, i am sure one day we will get it....so keep the faith.

Dentaldreams

have you considered a post-bac program?
good luck retaking the DAT.

dentaldreams,

I really don't think you will have a problem getting in. The PAT average is 17 I believe (that is what ADCOMS have told me)...so "for every 18 there is a 16"...

Originally posted by jojo88
dentaldreams,

I really don't think you will have a problem getting in. The PAT average is 17 I believe (that is what ADCOMS have told me)...so "for every 18 there is a 16"...

You are forgetting that admin committees look at GPA as well. If you have a high GPA then you are afforded the luxury of slacking a little on the DAT. If your GPA is on the low end, your dat scores will have to compensate that by being above avg.

But who knows, maybe an applicant with a low dat and GPA will end up getting in (its not totally unheard of).

Status
Not open for further replies.