The Under 3.0 Club part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PERFECT, if you go to the actual Dental forum, you'll see the Official Pictures thread. He's got some Halloween pictures up.

Shannon

Members don't see this ad.

thanks shannon,
just saw them. wish i was part of a party like that. well, maybe next year we could be sitting here and sharing our experience with the pre dents.

i know this is hopeful thinking so i am gonna keep my fingers crossed for all of us.

Thanks PERFECT! I'll be keepin my fingers crossed too. So I'm guessing you're a senior now? Where do you want to go? I'm only a sophomore so I'll have my fingers crossed for a couple of years more (of course on top of some hard work :) )

Shannon

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think of this program of study. It suggests taking 2 courses with accompanying labs per semester. I'm under the impression that most people who go through post bacc or take courses independetly take 2 lectures and 2 labs.

http://www.brandeis.edu/uaafys/pb/curriculum.html

Time to resurrect this thread. There's too much screwing around going on.

I been sitting here on my a$$ waiting for these school to either reject me or invite me. It has only been a week or two since I sent my secondary and the money. I never knew this process could be so nerve racking.

Originally posted by Thaxil
I been sitting here on my a$$ waiting for these school to either reject me or invite me. It has only been a week or two since I sent my secondary and the money. I never knew this process could be so nerve racking.

Really the whole application process(even undergrad admissions) is so ennerving. People here make it seem like its a walk in the park:rolleyes:

Okay I've been rereading the post on this thread concerning the advice that you people have given me, I have a problem, a fair number of you suggested that I go for a graduate degree but the catch is that I can't get in anywhere with the crappy grades:mad:
I've been looking around and no luck:(

Originally posted by blankguy
Really the whole application process(even undergrad admissions) is so ennerving. People here make it seem like its a walk in the park:rolleyes:

In all honesty, my application process was not very stressful at all. I had no clue what SDN was when I submitted my AADSAS application, and I was too damn busy at school to worry about getting interview invites. Truthfully, I was so busy that when I got my first invite, I was like "Oh yeah, I applied to dental school!". My only stressful part was being on the waitlist.

i just wanted to wish my under 3 club friends the best of luck for tomorrow.

remember that if you don't get acceptance notification tomorrow it doesn't mean you won't in the near future.
with that said, hope all of you DO get it tomorrow.

The people here with these grades have the biggest courage. Personally I am just starting my pre-dental courses and if i get a bad grade in any of my classes i am considering changing my major. The reason for this is because if I dont get into dental school i dont want to be left hanging. I wish i had the courage you guys do. Good luck to all of you.

Don't be so intimidated with the possibility of getting a bad grade. For me, the experience of a bad quarter helped me fight back and achieve higher then before. In addition, some of the hardest course you will take, no matter what your major is, will be o-chem, g-chem and bio. So, you have no choice if you intent to be a dentist. I am not suggesting to obtain a bad grade for motivation or the experience.

For me is this not a matter of courage. I feel that I am a well qualified applicant; I just got to convince the adcoms. GPA is not just a number and is not the only thing in consideration.

well, my worst nightmare came true this morning.
after so much anticipation, i called IU today to find out i was not accepted.

have no idea why.

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek: :eek: :eek:

You're KIDDING me. After all the signs Dr. Kasberg gave you that you were a sure thing?! That's unbelievable, Ahmad. I feel terrible for you. Just try to keep your chin up for now; if IUSD is willing to let you go somewhere else, it's its own loss. Sorry, buddy :(

That's a shame, perfect. I logged on this morning in part to check on your IU acceptance. You'll get in somewhere I'm sure. It's that determined attitude you have:)

To the people that motivated us under 3.0 applicant, you are part of my world. I got accepted into tufts. thanks guys for keeping this post interesting.

WOW! The pre-dent forum is packed today!

Cross, good to hear that you got into Tufts. We could be potential classmates next year!

Perfect, keep fighting!

Cross,
did you post your stats??

Congratulations on you acceptance to Tufts.

I wish I were in your shoes but hopefully if everything pans out for me I'll be in your shoes(not exactly accepted to Tufts but to a dental school) in a couple of years.

Originally posted by PERFECT3435
well, my worst nightmare came true this morning.
after so much anticipation, i called IU today to find out i was not accepted.

have no idea why.

I feel terrible for you too. I always hope you are the first one to hear the GOOD news. Keep you chin up. Did you call Uconn ? We're still early in the cycle. You may have to harrass Nova, Boston, NYU and other private schools then. Try to ace your interview with Merhary. Good luck !

Blank guy, what is your age, if you don't mind me asking. Just curious. I am in a similar position as you (I am soon to be 26)

hafido,
I'm 30 yrs old. Kinda late huh?
I notice that I fall in the senior crowd around here. People here including those under 3.0 that have gotten into dental school are in the late 20s.

Maybe I should start the 30 and over crowd.

As long as you are under 30 you still have time to get into dental school in a timely fashion.

Originally posted by aphistis
:eek: :eek: :eek:

You're KIDDING me. After all the signs Dr. Kasberg gave you that you were a sure thing?! That's unbelievable, Ahmad. I feel terrible for you. Just try to keep your chin up for now; if IUSD is willing to let you go somewhere else, it's its own loss. Sorry, buddy :(

i have been thinking that the 9/11 never happened and that it was just a nightmare. i still felt that way until i heard the news from IU.

talk about being shocked. now i feel this is just a nightmare that i can't wake up from. i have no idea what happened, but i really thank you all for you support and pms. it is because of you guys that i keep coming back here. i am truly happy for all who have gotten acceptances.

Perfect,
it just goes to show that talk is cheap. If they don't show it in writing then don't put too much faith in it. :rolleyes:

I just find a lot of people just say stuff just to please the listener(not necessarily on this board) but in general. :rolleyes:

Of course if they had said something like "you're unlikely to get in" then it probably is true. :oops:

Blankguy, I see what you are saying, but that doesn't really apply to perfect in this case. Coming from someone who actually saw the email, perfect had every right to be shocked. Granted, it was never a slam dunk acceptance but he for sure has reason to be a little shocked. Why would an adcom go out of their way to write an email to an applicant saying QUOTE "You got the highest interview score possible and you will receive and email early dec. 1 to notify you of your status." I know they never came out and SAID congrats... accepted. But what the hell is that supposed to mean then? Do the adcoms wake up early dec. 1 to tell people they got waitlisted? Um, No! Just my $.02

hm.. I think that was just a standard email they sent to everybody. I knew 6 people got that email from Indiana. I met them at my interview at cases,nyu and ut-houston. Plus many of people on SDN. How many out-of-state Indiana accept each year ?
I got kidda similar mail from UT-Houston also. I don't put too much hope on it until I see an actual acceptance letter.

Perfect! too early in the cycle anyway, keep you head up bro.

Indiana will accept 60 to 70 out-of-state applicants for 30 positions. However dont forget that they will continue to interview in Dec, Jan, and Feb for those 30 spots.

Your GPA is a little hairy but your DAT is pretty decent. that being said, if you want to get into a good school (Although all dental schools are great) your extracurriculars need to be really really strong. Are you applying now?

I have over 800 hrs of dental assisting time. Yes, I am applying this year.

I wanted to keep this thread alive. I'll include all my stats when I am able to organize my things but I think my DAT is 21/21/17.. Yeah, my PAT really stank but I am not about to risk my 3rd try at the DAT to get higher PAT score.

I've read many of your posts and really appreciate the optimism you guys have given me.

Like most of you, I've had my up's and down's going through the admission process. Frankly, I just wish there are more seats than students applying for dentistry.

I wish you guys the best of luck.. From of the looks of things, many of guys are getting into dental school. Hopefully, I'll be able to join you guys next fall.

Those are good DAT scores. I think the 17 cool. What is your GPA: overall, sci, and non-sci, and BPC. Just curious. I like to welcome you. Wish you good luck! We 3.0 under members need to try to help each other out. How many schools did you apply to?

I don't know the exact AADSAS gpa points but for sci, it's 2.8, overall=2.8, BCP=3.6. Again, I don't have my AADSAS sheet with me but I'll get later tonight and updated here. I've applied to 44 schools without doing any research on which I'll qualify. Frankly, I don't care where I go just as long as I get to go. :)

It was very foolish of me to apply to so many schools but I figure something's got to bite.... unfortunately, none yet.

Thaxil, I think you were already accepted from some other thread I read. Am I right? If so, congratulations!!! I say that with envy too.. ;P

I've interviewed with 2 schools so far, Idiana and Temple. I was not picked in the first round apparently. Dr. Kasberg from Indiana told me that although I did not get a flat rejection, he said that he was doubtful that I'll get in. I think that the adcom's review was made after I retook my DAT.

As for temple, I haven't heard a peep. I've called Terry Griffin and basically was told to wait

It's nerve racking to say the least. Thanks for the warm welcome. I didn't think anyone would be reading the forum during the holidays.

ackering,

Did Dr. kasberg tell you why he has doubts about you being admitted? did your interview go well? your DAT scores are great, your BCP is good too (3.6) and its only the overall GPA that is low. do you happen to have many F's on your transcript???

The application cycle has been rough for me too. not much love from schools. i hope they get to me after the break!

Comet

Not during my undergrad study. Probably 1 or 2. It was after I graduated and took some more computer classes that I got 2 or more F's. yeah, stupid me. I didn't drop those classes properly. Who would have thought that I'd be back in school after being away for so long... hehehe..

Yes, he(Dr. Kasberg) did. He said that my science gpa was not as competitive as the other students. He was doubtful that I would be accepted. Of course, he could be wrong.. :)

Good luck to you, Comet.

Your BPC score includes almost any science course that involves biology, chemistry, and math. Math is not included, but many upper division science course are include. For instance: Biochemistry, Genetics, Cell bio, etc. If you got an -A in these courses on average that is extremely impressive. I think the major problem with your application is the time you were out of school. To add to that, your return was bad. How long were you out? Minus your return to school, how was your undergrad GPA, and did you show consistence or improvement in the level of achievement?

Yes, I would agree with that. I've graduated college in dec 94. Took all my g chem, o chem, bio(molecular and zoology), and biochem in 2 semesters ago in fall of 2003 and and spring of 2004. Did very good on those classes, all A's except my first semester of o chem, which I had a B. In terms of consistency, I don't know if 2 semesters qualify me for that.

Now that I am working full time again, I might be able to do human anatomy and physiology but that's going to be a stretch. Indiana requires those 2 classes but I don't know how worthwhile it is to take them now considering that I don't have a good chance in getting into it.

My undergrad gpa isn't that great either. I don't know the numbers offhand but I think I had a 2.9 for overall gpa.

I've applied to 44 schools without doing any research on which I'll qualify.

Damn...what a waste of money! All it would have taken is like 30 minutes of research to find out that you are not eligible at many schools that you have applied to saving you thousands of dollars. What a waste!

30 minutes for each school? It's probably much cheaper to find a book regarding all the schools. Yes, very stupid and wasteful of me. However, it's water under the bridge now. I don't have time to look back when I need to look forward and move on. :)

After reading through this thread and the posts, I find it very easy to relate to the other people who are discussing their path to dental school. My graduate GPA was under 3.0 (enjoyed the awesome social life for first 2 years, worked, and played sports....studying was done if I had time), though managed to pull near a 3.2 my last two years (mostly in my major, seemed more interesting than the boring nonsense fresh/soph years).. Though, my degree is in Information Systems, I am not sure that the adcoms will look at it much, or even know what I studied. Guess I will need to do really good with my classes and charm them at the interview(s).

So, here I am finishing what I started (started college as a bio/pre-med, but got caught up in the whole internet and tech BUST(boom), and now I have to get these classes out of the way. Hopefully, when all is said and done, I will post my final results here, (dat scores, b/p/c grades), and be able to say I got in somewhere. Though, I have heard good things about NOVA, and who wouldn't want to live in sunny florida.

Under a 3.0, but not undetermined.

ACKERING,

i am really sorry about your IU experience. i wonnder why you were offered an interview if they thought your scores and gpa weren't good.

well, i am kinda in the same boat, except i am to call IU towards the end of 3 rd week of this month to find out. i didn't get accepted/rejectedthe 1st round and now i am waiting to see what happens.

good luck to you and as far as 44 schools go, don't feel bad. just don't send the app fee to the schools that you have no chance at. besides, you really really never know who will wanna interview you.

Hi Perfect3435.

I was offered an interview because I met the minimum requirements. Of course, from all the students who got interviews, they are ranked based on their science GPA... and Dr. Kasberg did emphasize that. The DAT didn't seem to be a big thing with the school. Whatever this holistic approach on evaluating students, that the school claims to be doing, I think it still boils down to numbers. It's just too sad that they'd give false hopes to those with low GPA's.

Although Dr. Kasberg said I wasn't rejected, he pretty much spelled it out to me that to don't get my hopes up. I didn't get a rejection letter but I don't feel too confident about my chances.

I am also under review for UOP, just like you. I hate all this waiting..

Did he say why they take that approach in evaluating applicants?

I think it's a ploy to put the students at ease. After all, they pride themselves for being hoosier, good host.

I got to admit it. It did give me more confidence in going to the interview. On the other hand, I could just spit when Dr. Kasberg told me that my science GPA wasn't competitive enough.

Originally posted by Mromar
and who wouldn't want to live in sunny florida.

ahh... i luv sunny florida! ::hardy:

Originally posted by busupshot83
ahh... i luv sunny florida! ::hardy:

On the sidenote. I wonder if there is anybody on SDN that goes to dental school in Puerto Rico?

Im sorry boys and girls, but I am no longer under 3.0

I calculated my gpa after my last term, and my gpa is about 3.05

Its a sad sad day

As if raising your GPA to a 3.05 is going to prevent the admission committees across the nation to throw your garbage stats right into the trash can :laugh:

hey everyone,

well, i just found out i have been accepted at IUSD and just wanted to let you guys know. as many of you know, i have gone through a very stressful application cycle and THE news finally came.

i hope yo guys stay strong and keep fighting. i wish everyone who still hasn't been accepted the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.