The United States cares more about car health than human health...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealDrDorian

Dr. Acula
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is simply a humorous thread adding to the many out there on healthcare topics.

But, is it odd that we live in a country where it is illegal to not have car insurance, but perfectly fine to not have health insurance?

Obviously the U.S. is looking out for the safety of its automobiles first, and citizens driving them second. Pretty funny if you think about it. :laugh:

(Forgive me in advance if this is completely untrue, but I think it's legitimate)

Members don't see this ad.

The world's full of irony my friend. Once you accept it you can move on with your life. I don't attempt to comprehend half the things that are true in this world, or I'll go crazy. :sleep:

Its illegal not to have at least liability car insurance so if you were to hit my car you would be able to pay for the damage, although liability will not pay for damages to your car. Full coverage for your car is not mandatory unless you have a loan on your car but then it’s the bank not the government that makes you carry full coverage. I don’t think its at all legitimate to compare car insurance to health insurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is simply a humorous thread adding to the many out there on healthcare topics.

But, is it odd that we live in a country where it is illegal to not have car insurance, but perfectly fine to now have health insurance?

Obviously the U.S. is looking out for the safety of its automobiles first, and citizens driving them second. Pretty funny if you think about it. :laugh:

(Forgive me in advance if this is completely untrue, but I think it's legitimate)

Yep, I 've heard that one before. The difference: The only legally required car insurance is liability insurance, so that if you damage someone's property (car) or health you are able to pay for it. Nobody is required to insure their own car. Also, people can choose not to drive, and therefore not pay for car insurance. It's a bit more intrusive to require everyone to pay for health insurance.

Still a good point though, and I think MA has some kind of law now making health insurance mandatory.

the politician(s) who signed that into law probably got a nice little retirement package from the insurance industry.

The "you can choose not to drive argument" can be tricky. For many people and in many places (not everyone, but many), where public transportation is a joke, driving is not so much a choice but a necessity if one intends to get to work/school on time.

Yep, I 've heard that one before. The difference: The only legally required car insurance is liability insurance, so that if you damage someone's property (car) or health you are able to pay for it. Nobody is required to insure their own car. Also, people can choose not to drive, and therefore not pay for car insurance. It's a bit more intrusive to require everyone to pay for health insurance.

Still a good point though, and I think MA has some kind of law now making health insurance mandatory.

I think you're right about MA. Check out this if interested.

http://healthpolitics.org/archives.asp?previous=road_universal_coverage

If there was a law for people to carry at least basic health insurance, people will do it. For as long as everyone is waiting for free healthcare no one is going to take it upon themselves to buy insurance. You forgot to mention that the average American spends $3000/yr on entertainment but can't spare anything for their health.

If my health insurance premium was less than $100 a month I would have it in a heart beat...

But then again, why can't we have the ability to choose our health care insurance plans... Just imagine...

State Farm Agent: How can I help you today?

College Student: Um I would like to discontinue my collision coverage I don't run into inanimate objects enough to cover that... then I would only like to keep my insurance against assault oh and maybe vandalism of body by my friends when I am wasted.

I can just imagine the premium, nice and cheap. :laugh: :laugh:

If my health insurance premium was less than $100 a month I would have it in a heart beat...
I think that part of the proposed MA legislation which was not passed included a proposal by Gov. Mitt Romney to permit high-deductible, low benefit health plans.

I think that part of the proposed MA legislation which was not passed included a proposal by Gov. Mitt Romney to permit high-deductible, low benefit health plans.
and I'm sure we wouldn't all get taxed out the ass for it. The deductible might be low, but the cost of it overall probably isn't.

But, is it odd that we live in a country where it is illegal to not have car insurance, but perfectly fine to not have health insurance?

Average monthly premium for family of 4 = $11,500

Average monthly premium for single-coverage = $3,685

Average ANNUAL car insurance expenditures = $847

You do the math...not to say that access to health coverage doesn't constitute a fundamental human right.

and I'm sure we wouldn't all get taxed out the ass for it. The deductible might be low, but the cost of it overall probably isn't.

Read it again. HIGH deductible, LOW benefit.

Average monthly premium for family of 4 = $11,500

Average monthly premium for single-coverage = $3,685

Average ANNUAL car insurance expenditures = $847

You do the math...not to say that access to health coverage doesn't constitute a fundamental human right.

No doubt those first two figures are annual premiums, as well. Or do you think that those familes of four who do have health insurance (and there are plenty of them, despite the millions of uninsured Americans) pay $138,000/year for health insurance?

The whole point of car insurance is that driving a car can have immensely negative effects on others so if you happen to hit someone the person who got hit can be assured they will get the damage paid for by you. Bad health is more of an individual problem that doesn't effect others as directly as hitting someone's car. Therefore health insurance isn't mandatory in most all states.

actually, not having health insurance can have a negative effect on others as well. Think about it, someone without health insurance gets sick but doesn't go to the doctor because they think it's not a big deal and they don't have the money. Their situation gets worse and they're forced to seek help, which in the end will probably greatly increase the cost of whatever service they are in need of and probably include more use of healthcare workers' time and equipment. If everyone had health insurance, people would be more apt to go to the doctor earlier and you could take more preventative measures to curb illness and therefore the cost of healthcare would go down, while saving valuable resources and time. Preventive medicine is the future of lowering healthcare costs, and it all starts with some sort of universal healthcare package.