1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

The United States Needs To Legalize Pot

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by jetproppilot, Aug 13, 2011.

1. jetproppilot

jetproppilot Turboprop Driver
    10+ Year Member

Alcohol, which is legal, makes many people

angry. Drive 90 miles an hour.

Pot, which is illegal, makes many people

peaceful. Drive 15 miles an hour.

Alcohol induced highway deaths are plentiful and documented.

It's really hard to kill someone if you're stoned, driving

15 miles an hour.

All kidding aside, it's estimated that

190 million dudes/dudettes out there

smoke weed.

It's also estimated if pot was taxed in the United States,

38 BILLION DOLLARS

could be generated annually.

For all you

Reagonomics people out there that bit into the premise that marijuana is a GATEWAY DRUG (it's not)

and somehow you've convinced yourself that smoking a joint is bad, yet current day

YOU. YEAH, YOU

consume alcohol,

Current day it's

LEGAL TO SIT AT A BAR, CONSUME MARTINIS, STRAIGHT UP, A LITTLE DIRTY

but it's

ILLEGAL

to

smoke a joint???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

That's really funny man.

Ostracizing a peace inducing, miles-per-hour reducing drug

whilst still legalizing and consuming

ALCOHOL.

Think about that, the next time you order a

DRINK.

Your second.

Your third.

Btw let's conveniently sidestep a conversation about

NICOTINE (legal).

SUGAR (legal).

OH MY GOD THO POT IS BAD!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

#1 jetproppilot, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cfdavid

cfdavid Membership Revoked
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Jet, while I never really had a good "buz" from weed, I agree with your premise.

Follow the money, however..............

4. Hawaiian Bruin

Hawaiian Bruin Breaking Good
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have performed many anesthetics on patients who have acquired surgical pathology as a direct result of alcohol intake, from trauma to liver transplants.

I have not performed a single anesthetic on a patient who acquired surgical pathology as a result of THC intake.

5. epidural man

epidural man ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is a great documentary about this on one of those Discovery type channels. It showed how the Mexican drug cartel have their farms in California national and State forests. The authorities do what they can, but there are soooo many of them. It costs them pennies to start, and can turn millions of dollars of profit. Even if the authorities stop 90% of them, it still is cost effective to keep starting new ones.

I think in that same documentary it said that if marijauna were legalized, it would absolutely devastate and kill most drug cartels, as marijuana is still >65% of their profits.

6. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty**
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Agreed. If it is legalized, there goes the profit. The value would go down tremendously due to free access of the mary jane.

7. Hamhock

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Why wouldn't they just start selling legal and illegal weed? Straight and blackmarket?

There's no way a legit business can compete with their model and the US has already shown an inability to regulate their production lines.

HH

8. Ketafol20

Resident [Any Field]
    The only this worse than keeping it illegal is making it legal for medical purposes only. What a load of crap. Just make it legal all together.

9. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty**
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Legal and illegal weed? If weed is legal, then it's legal. It's not illegal. There's no black market. There's "free access" so anyone can buy and sell. No one would have to hit up the black market for access.

It's like when alcohol was made illegal (briefly). Boot leggers made a killing and rose to the top. With alcohol legal, there went the boot leggers.

Maybe I'm missing something with the "legal and illegal" weed reference, though. I just don't see why anyone would have to hit up the black market when there's ready access to it.

10. RussianJoo

RussianJoo Useless Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    agreed.

Saw a program on the discovery channel about growing weed in North California and how state law is so different than federal law in california, the owner of Oaksterdam U http://www.oaksterdamuniversity.com/ said he paid over $700,000 in taxes the year the show was filmed.

11. amyl

amyl ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yeah! libertarian sentiments! thats what i like to hear coming out of educated mouths and minds :) i am all for legalizing it.... what substance i put in my body is none of the governments business... the consequences of those decisions should be mine and mine alone.
    but, as the devils advocate, there are those in the country (I am not one of them) that believes legalizing it legitimizes it and thus people will sue the government "'cause they said weed was ok...." i think this is ridiculous but then i never thought i would see the day tha some fata** sued mcdonalds for his obesity. but there is an alternative, we could just decriminalize it. getting caught with it just gets you a fine... nothing else... sort of like a tax i guess. then the government cant be held responsible (this day and age is different than that of prohibition and its demise) but makes dealing marijuana no longer a big business... problem solved.

12. periopdoc

periopdoc Cardiac Anesthesiologist
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Don't forget the other, even bigger, side of the equation... the money we would save by not fighting a drug war against, nor paying for investigation of, prosecution of, and incarceration of those involved in the marijuana trade.

In some ways I suspect that the biggest obstacle to legalizing marijuana is from those who profit from the drug wars.

but we have performed many anesthetics on individuals who acquired surgical pathology from involvement in the illicit trade of THC products.

- pod

13. epidural man

epidural man ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :thumbup:

By the way, it is a false urban legend that the constitution was written on hemp - but the history of cotton growers against mary jane in the beginning is an interesting story.

follow the money....

14. kazuma

kazuma ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Couldn't agree more JPP. It blows me away that Alcohol is legal even though it causes that many deaths per year especially the innocent bystanders.

The drug war creates all sorts of problems. We are in the middle of harvest time and I just read a post on another forum about a guy who ran into some shady characters while buying some gasoline in near Grants Pass, OR. Luckily he and his son made it out safely but only after being accosted and chased/followed for miles. People are being robbed and killed in this high stakes game and life is cheap when you are running millions of dollars of high grade pot out of the mountains.

By keeping pot illegal it takes money out of government coffers and directly funds the cartels. Why would anyone choose to risk their life by buying pot from the shady crack/meth infested areas of town when they could legally and safely buy it from a state pot store or similar legitimate outlet?

While light years safer than alcohol, I'd venture to guess that the hot ash and tar produced whilst puffing on some sticky icky skunk chronic can't be without health consequences to vulnerable lung tissue. However there are safer ways to consume it such as ingesting or vaporizing.

Pot has come a long ways in being de-criminalized (just look at CA, WA, OR or Denver) and it's probably not unreasonable to believe that we may see some legalization success in the next decade or two. However, I can guarantee that we will NEVER see the prohibition of alcohol ever again. There are far too many alcoholics out there including the ones dictating the laws on drug policy.

#13 kazuma, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  15. Ketafol20

Resident [Any Field]
    My first thought is that the legalization won't hurt the cartels as much as we think. They will still be pushing whatever is illegal and we will still supply the buyers. But this is no reason not to legalize it, just an observation.

And if the mighty USA continues to have financial woes we will see it legalized sooner than later. The south however, will be the last to legalize it. We are backwards in the south for sure. Eyes and ears are shut. Just my opinion again.

BTW, what Denver did with THC is a joke. Dope should not be legalized for medical use alone. Now there are 20somethings out there going to idiot docs claiming to have some chronic health condition so that they can get a medical marijuana card to get high legally. What happens when one of these youngster graduates college, gets married, has a family and god forbid finds that he/she has a cerebral aneurysm but now the insurance company denies coverage because the aneurysm is a preexisting condition because then pt claimed headaches as their chronic illness when they went to apply for their card? Just an example but I'm sure we can all see how this is going to work out.

16. diceksox

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Did an anesthetic on a kid who was shot in his femoral while smoking weed. I went to see him in the ED and he had his wound packed and a smile on his face. What analgesics did he receive in the ED? Nothin

17. MRW

MRW AA-C
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    When was the last time you heard about a guy smoking a doob and then going home and beating his wife...

The dark side of alcohol is soooo much worse than pot it isnt even funny...

18. epidural man

epidural man ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh, but the non-dark side is so fun!

Pot made me paranoid.....