THE University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine Class of 2013

Discussion in 'Allopathic Class Threads' started by Miles Gloriosus, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Miles Gloriosus

Medical Student
    Shout out to all the future Pritzkerites out there!

2. Golden Joe

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    What's up Miles?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. baroja

Hey guys

I'm really excited about Pritzker and I'm looking forward to the revisit day!

4. Golden Joe

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Baroja,

I'm excited too. What part of the country are you from?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. baroja

I'm from Ohio. Congrats on the scholarship you got!

6. Golden Joe

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thanks! I'm from the southern IL area myself. Do you know what day you're going to revisit?

7. baroja

I haven't gotten anything yet about revisit. Did you get a letter or an email about it? What dates will there be for revisit days?

8. Golden Joe

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I haven't got anything about revisit either. I just knew that last year there were multiple dates, and I was not sure it the dates for this year had been released yet. If I find out the dates I'll post them.

9. kuhlguy

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    haha ... it's been almost 8 months since i last posted on here ...

im a first year at pritzker

... there's only 1 revist day this year ... thought it'd be better to combine everyone ...

congrats on getting in ... it's amazing here!

10. Karate Monkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey there! I am a future UofC'er as well! I hail from the SW 'burbs of Chicago. I got a note in the mail that revisit weekend is 16-17 April. Hope to see a few of you there!

11. Golden Joe

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I'll see you there Karate Monkey!

12. Karate Monkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Word! Stoked for it!:thumbup:
    p.s. anybody start looking for housing etc. yet? I am kinda local (the burbs) but have been looking around on www.rent.com. Anybody heard anything good?

#12 Karate Monkey, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  13. fastrandstrongr

5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    im not headed to pritzker next year, but i am finishing up my bs/ba and i can tell you a few things about the apartments around campus... generally, you'll want to stay north of 61st st and east of drexel. the "college ghetto" as its affectionately known is located between 51st and 55th streets and between drexel and woodlawn. the highest concentration of college students live along woodlawn/university between 53rd and 55th. (google maps is your friend)

i think the university owns graduate housing pretty close to the hospital (57th and maryland) so you might want to see what they have to say about that. myself, i live near the lakefront and its pretty, though a little expensive, and sometimes its absolutely impossible to get on a bus because it is packed to the brim with undergrads.

the main property management company in Hyde Park is MAC management and the general consensus is that they suck, overcharge you, and are very slow with maintenance. in my opinion, you'd be better off renting privately. a lot of the apts around here are being remodeled though the infrastructure is still from the pre-WWII era (not kidding) so you should definitely try and get something rather new. if you have the bucks, dont mind living about 2 miles from campus and want the best H.P. has to offer, then just call up Regents Park and call it a day.

14. Karate Monkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :laugh:
    Ha! Thanks for all the cool info! I plan to head down there once the temps stabilize above 50 and all the brown/grey snow melts! I will check out those areas you mentioned

15. fastrandstrongr

5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    haha, i estimate that will be around, oh, june 15th or so

16. Karate Monkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How is everyone progressing with the fin aid paperwork for Pritzker? I am totally at my parents' mercy and it feels less than awesome! I wanted to have it done like 3 weeks ago!

17. Golden Joe

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I mailed in the the signature page and tax copies last week. I kind of want to call the office to make sure they have everything. Does anyone know when financial aid packages go out?

18. Karate Monkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I finally got my paperwork done. Did you call to get the deal on the packages Golden Joe? Hopefully, it comes back sooner than later.

On a side note, I hope people can still make it to the Pritzker revisit on the new dates!!

19. Karate Monkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I sent my packet in a few days ago and got an email back w/ a decent scholarship! I am so pumped about this place!

I think there is a lot more to come as far as the packet goes...loans/need based stuff but I am happy for now:luck:

20. ami1983

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    me too :) yay!!!!!

21. Chiguy

Medical Student
    Congrats to everyone on your acceptances! I live in the South Loop (about 10 minutes from Hyde Park) and am here now waiting for all of you to come to town!!! Let me know if you happen to do so (or, if you are here already) before Revisit Day and we can meet up.

Also, don't know if you guys have seen it yet but there's a facebook group for our class. I joined this weekend; see you there soon as well!

22. drjm1

7+ Year Member

Anyone ever heard of someone's financial aid package increasing after they've already received their award letter, or is that amount pretty much final? I thought I read a post about this somewhere, but just wondering.

23. ami1983

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    what do you mean increasing? This might happen if you used estimated numbers for your FAFSA, and upon filing taxes and doing a correction your EFC decreases. In that case perhaps your total aid would increase?

24. modelslashactor

modelslashactor Safety not guaranteed
    7+ Year Member

congrats everybody! i'm a current second year and can vouch that this was indeed true our year, at least for merit scholarships (if they do it for loans they didn't for me). after may 15th when the spots were filled and the fin aid department knew how much scholarship money they had left over they were nice enough to divvy out the surplus, don't know how they picked who got what but they were quite generous to me even after i withdrew all my other acceptances. i think this says a lot about the school considering that most schools use money as a lure and would have pocketed the cash.

i have no idea if they did this last year or if they'll do it this year, and obviously you can't make your decision on it because you won't know until you withdraw everywhere else. if fin aid is a real concern don't be afraid to give them a call and negotiate a bit, the worst that can happen is they say no.

enjoy relaxing the next few months (hopefully you'll stay relaxed when you get here too) and good luck making your decisions!

25. Tiare208

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey, guys, just got in and I'm really excited. Hopefully I'll meet you all next year.

26. ami1983

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Congrats!! how exciting. coming to 2nd look now?

27. Tiare208

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For sure! See you this Friday at 4:30 I think?