The UNOfficial January 2012 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgerber85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming test dates are anything like this past year... Jan 28, 2012 anybody?

I know January is a re-test month, typically, but I intend on doing an SMP prior to medical school applications. Thus taking the Jan. MCAT... applying to an SMP program (where I was told I'm an excellent candidate for) to help my application to Med programs.

Materials I've purchased:

EK's Bio, Physics, Gen. Chem, Orgo, Verbal Reasoning
TPR's Gen. Chem, Practice Exams, Writing
BR's Orgo I & II, Physics I & II, Bio I & II, Writing

a large poster on my wall that is a bullseye and reads bang head here. corny, but works. I don't know why.

new coffee maker (keurig)

giant tennis ball (like in house MD) to toss against the wall and annoy my roommates.

:thumbup:

Early good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am planning on taking Jan MCAT, this will be my first time taking it.
I have purchased
EK complete set
EK osmosis CD's
EK 1001's---Bio 1001 is a waste of money I do not recommend it,the Bio 1001 are not like the other's, Bio 1001 does not have questions divided by subtopics. If your low on money do not buy EK 1001's just use free questions online or go to the library and get Kaplan or Princeton Practice test.
EK Verbal 101
TPRHL verbal
AAMC test 3-11
AAMC official guide
FREE resources--khanacademy,wikipremed, youtube etc----EK sometimes isn't so clear. Watching videos helps alot.

I do not plan on buying anything more, I don't think I would have time to use it.

My study plan---I do not plan on mixing the subjects, I know some people says it helps them retain info but I think it will confuse me.
SN: I will be doing verbal in the mix of the other subjects and listening to EK CD's when I go to the gym.
August--Bio Review
Sept.--Orgo Review
Oct--Gen Chem Review
Nov--Physics Review
Study for my Finals, after Finals take a AAMC Diagnostic test if my test result do not show at least a 7 in each subject I will reschedule for June 2012
Dec 10-Jan 10--In 4 weeks I will reread all EK books, read a book a week, and do practice problems in AAMC official guide.
Jan 11-25--AAMC practice test. Listen to EK Audio Osmosis ans review formulas.

Last edited:
I was having trouble wit lytic vs lysogenic and i went to youtube and there are so much more, if I had know about the sources of free resources I would have never brought anything except verbal practice http://mcat-review.org/index.php has all the content review, http://www.prep101.com/mcat/free-mcat-study-aids/, has tons of questions and the library has kaplan, princeton and etc practice test in addition to the review books.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of youtube resources exist?

hmm...interesting.

Khan Academy is probably one of the best ones out there! If you have time, also check out the free lectures that universities often post on Youtube. MIT OpenCourseWare is a fantastic help too since they don't post individual random lectures but rather all the lectures in a given course. And there are TONS.

Hm...as for the Jan. test date, I'm not too hopeful about how it will go tomorrow so I'm probably going to be retaking it at the end of Jan as well!

In terms of materials, I took the TPRH class so I have all the books for that along with the full EK study package + EK101 VR passages. :)

Khan Academy is probably one of the best ones out there! If you have time, also check out the free lectures that universities often post on Youtube. MIT OpenCourseWare is a fantastic help too since they don't post individual random lectures but rather all the lectures in a given course. And there are TONS.

Hm...as for the Jan. test date, I'm not too hopeful about how it will go tomorrow so I'm probably going to be retaking it at the end of Jan as well!

In terms of materials, I took the TPRH class so I have all the books for that along with the full EK study package + EK101 VR passages. :)

Did you actually have time to make notes on those TPR books, especially in bio?

Did you actually have time to make notes on those TPR books, especially in bio?

Well I had notes that I took in class. Plus for physics, orgo and gchem, I rewrote the notes in a much more concise manner. I compacted each chapter of physics into one lined paper (back and forth) and for gchem, I compacted each chapter into half a page of plain white paper. I couldn't get around to finishing bio because I didn't have a lot of time left. I left 4 chapter of bio. Those were probably my most extensive notes so they were taking obscene amounts of time.

I know that alot of places recommend tasking notes but I feel like EK books are so condense how could you take notes and the mcat review website that I mention in the previous thread are like notes it has everything on the mcat in an outline.

Hey guys. I'm also planning on taking the MCAT in Jan, I have the TPRH books along with an old set of Kaplan books.

Sign me up.

Doing the 4 month study plan.

EK set, EK 1001 set except for Bio, TBR Set, and I plan on ordering the TBR and AAMC full lengths.

Just got my hands on the Audio Osmosis. Very interesting. Hm...

I think beginning in Sept I'm going to do a practice test every other week.

I have been debating for the last two weeks whether to take the beast Sept 10th or Jan so far it looks like i am gravitating toward January.

So far I have brushed thru the EK content review and I am currently working on the 1001 EK series. The goal is to exhaust those then role to TPRH books before taking practice tests. With a few test under my belt, I'll use the TBR gen chem and physics passages to straighten any kinks I may have in those subjects. Hopefully that should be enough.

I have been debating for the last two weeks whether to take the beast Sept 10th or Jan so far it looks like i am gravitating toward January.

So far I have brushed thru the EK content review and I am currently working on the 1001 EK series. The goal is to exhaust those then role to TPRH books before taking practice tests. With a few test under my belt, I'll use the TBR gen chem and physics passages to straighten any kinks I may have in those subjects. Hopefully that should be enough.

I've flirted w/jan 12 as well, but am pretty sure that would just be a sign of laziness.

besides, bill walker is also taking the 9/10 takes. You should join as well.

I've flirted w/jan 12 as well, but am pretty sure that would just be a sign of laziness.

besides, bill walker is also taking the 9/10 takes. You should join as well.

Lmao! Bill Walker personally told me to take it in January since I am not apply for this cycle anyway. I think he said something along the lines of " Live to fight another day" but I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao! Bill Walker personally told me to take it in January since I am not apply for this cycle anyway. I think he said something along the lines of " Live to fight another day" but I could be wrong.

That doesn't sound like william, but you may just be right. I haven't talked to bill since he left campus in a rage.

You guys need to play him more. More awesome dunks please.

That doesn't sound like william, but you may just be right. I haven't talked to bill since he left campus in a rage.

You guys need to play him more. More awesome dunks please.

I agree, the dude is a scoring machine and a good defender, hopefully Mike D'antoni will realize this before its too late. Whats your team?

January 28th it is. First Saturday admission of the new year.

I've picked up all of the EK materials (1001/content), TBR, and TPRH verbal workbook.

And the giant tennis ball just sounds fun.

I wonder when they'll release the official calendar for 2012...really hoping for a date in Feb at the moment. Extremely hectic first term doesn't seem too compatible with MCAT studying...

I am have a good hint... I am using EK for all subjects for a general review but when I am rereviewing in Dec I am going to use mcat-review, first off it is condense and it helps you because it is online and the test is on the computer, imo I think this is GOOD training cause on the mcat you have to share at the computer screen for 5 hrs.

I am in this boat! Wohoo! So excited to start studying!!!

This is what I am using:
BR - Organic, General Chemistry, Physics, and part I of Biology
TPR - Until Chapter 6 for Biology

TPR Science Workbook for practice
TPR Verbal Workbook for practice
EK 1001 - Chemistry, Organic, and Physics
EK 101 - Verbal

Kaplan topical exams, Kaplan FL 1-6, all AAMC, Princeton Review practice exams, and I got a hold of few old AAMC's.

Just got my TBR books today and I felt like a super nerd. This was the first time I have been excited to get books. Also the TBR set better be awesome they take freaking forever to order...

I am out of the club, my parents want me to take a review course so I am taking Princeton and taken the MCAT Aug. 2012--I will be applying late so hopefully I get a 30+

Don't worry. I'm sure that excitement will fade by next week. :laugh:

I've knocked out the first quarter of the EK chapters already. Learning the material for the MCAT makes me feel like I'm actually getting to know the science. It's kind of fun--in a nerdy way and not when I'm trying to do school/work/vacation/etc. Hah.

Speaking of which, anyone else wish there were testing dates between September and late-January? I feel like I started studying mid-summer and now I have to attempt to retain that/keep studying during the school year. I'm doomed. :lame:

Speaking of which, anyone else wish there were testing dates between September and late-January? I feel like I started studying mid-summer and now I have to attempt to retain that/keep studying during the school year. I'm doomed. :lame:

I guess I'm joining the club too. I went from Aug 18 to Sept 8 to sometime in Jan, which is cool I suppose. No need in rushing and not having ample time. I wish there was a test date in between as well. I have been relearning everything AFTER having read through all the TBR books. Time to drop a class so I don't drive myself crazy.

I guess I'm joining the club too. I went from Aug 18 to Sept 8 to sometime in Jan, which is cool I suppose. No need in rushing and not having ample time. I wish there was a test date in between as well. I have been relearning everything AFTER having read through all the TBR books. Time to drop a class so I don't drive myself crazy.

So are you just cancelling Sept 8 or voiding it?

In on this! I am a postbac student taking the beast for the first time- will be using the EK set + Kaplan premier + old textbooks.

I did my undergrad in Economics and Philosophy so verbal is my strongest section.
I only have the basic sciences completed as of now so I anticipate possible content issues in BS. That being said, my fall schedule is relatively light and consists mostly of coursework that should help me in my MCAT prep:

A&P 1 (100 level)
Cell Bio
Animal Physiology
Statistics (joke class for me as an Econ graduate)

I'm hoping the emphasis on physiology and cell bio helps me in BS.

Anyways, good luck everyone- let's do this!

Last edited:
I'm thinking about applying for an SMP. The January 2012 test will be my only chance to get into that program.

This is what I am using:
BR - Organic, General Chemistry, Physics, and part I of Biology
TPR - Until Chapter 6 for Biology

TPR Science Workbook for practice
TPR Verbal Workbook for practice
EK 1001 - Chemistry, Organic, and Physics
EK 101 - Verbal

Kaplan topical exams, Kaplan FL 1-6, all AAMC, Princeton Review practice exams, and I got a hold of few old AAMC's.

I have the exact same thing as you except I have 1001 Orgo and TBR exams, in addition to, Kaplan's and PR, and all AAMCs. When you're going to stary studying?

I've gone a whole week w/out studying...

I need to motivate myself again. with 4 months still ahead... plenty of time.

STUDY damn it.

fail