The usual story... please help! Post-bac to master or redo bachelors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tranquilometro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll make this short.

I'm 21 and started college out rough... we all have our reasons. :(

I have a 2.41 science GPA - no orgo, bio, or biochem....! I've taken many math and physics classes, well beyond pre-med.

My overall GPA went from 2.21 to 3.1 -a pretty hefty increase considering how established my 2.21 was... I made 3.7 - 4.0 for many consecutive semesters :)

Thanks to my copious course loads, I have the option of graduating next semester with a degree in Anthropolgy... it honestly isn't useless in respect to the insight it delivers to those who study it! lol

I know I have the potential necessary to reach my goals, but I need advice!

Should I retake my bachelors degree at a new college in something I'm actually interested in, or should I take post-bac classes and then apply to a masters program?

I'm not necessarily keen on being a future doctor, but I am keen on choosing the option that leaves the option of medical school open.

My thought process:

New school and new bachelors, means new, shiny, untainted GPA.

Post-bach classes seem to be more convenient, but I don't feel like I can get enough base-knowledge to pursue a masters or even PhD in what my interests really are through them. Also, I'd still have that GPA lingering in the background. :(

ANYWAYS, ANY advice is appreciated!! SO THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

A little bit about myself (for those who are bored):
I run marathons, and do gymnastics. I grew up in San Francisco, CA but now go to UF in Gainesville, FL. I was valedictorian of my middle school as well as class president :D haha - middle school, I know. I was also geography bee champion of my school! lol I was traumatized from when I was about 13 - 20. Long story, but I'm over it. The moment I got over it, my whole life changed for the better. Now I want to extricate myself from the negative feedback loop I've been drowning in. I feel like NOW is the time to act. I understand that I haven't even taken the first step. Thanks once again (for those who continued).

Members don't see this ad.

New school and new bachelors, means new, shiny, untainted GPA.

No, it doesn't. Your GPA is permanent and will continue with you for the rest of your life. It's easier to leave a tupperware contract behind you than your GPA.

You have a lot more investigation in front of you.

Thank you for your quick response! Does this mean you do not suggest another bachelor's degree?