The vagus nerve and innervation of stomach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lothric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Look at the picture.

Apparently, the vagus nerve directly innervates the relevant cells. But the picture shows a synapse, doesn't it, before the nerves innervate the G and parietal cells? Isn't this a synapse in the Auerbach or Submucosal plexus? If so, then it's not the vagus nerve anymore innervating those cells. But my textbooks claim it is. What am I missing?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• czczcs.PNG
    czczcs.PNG
    330.2 KB · Views: 47
Hey,

Look at the picture.

Apparently, the vagus nerve directly innervates the relevant cells. But the picture shows a synapse, doesn't it, before the nerves innervate the G and parietal cells? Isn't this a synapse in the Auerbach or Submucosal plexus? If so, then it's not the vagus nerve anymore innervating those cells. But my textbooks claim it is. What am I missing?

Post ganglionic fibers of the vagus nerve provide extrinsic innervation through the ENS (myenteric and submucosal plexuses).

Post ganglionic fibers of the vagus nerve provide extrinsic innervation through the ENS (myenteric and submucosal plexuses).
Exactly! That's what I thought. But when they said "directly" I thought they meant that the vagus nerve branches off and those branches innervate their target directly without any synapse with other neurons.

Take a look at the branch that innervates D cells (new upload, the first one was from an old FA). What happens there? No synapse with the enteric nervous system at all?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    38.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Exactly! That's what I thought. But when they said "directly" I thought they meant that the vagus nerve branches off and those branches innervate their target directly without any synapse with other neurons.

Take a look at the branch that innervates D cells (new upload, the first one was from an old FA). What happens there? No synapse with the enteric nervous system at all?

I think Somatostatin might be an exception or the picture is just too general. But that’s a fair point. DIdnt even notice that