The value of LOIs at this stage of the game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basupran

ortho, study, cars, lift
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Waitlisted for me....is it even worth sending an LOI (intent or interest, either) at this stage of the game? I would think an intent letter would be bad in a way, but an interest letter would be good.

Members don't see this ad.

bumpity bump

If the school is your number one choice, the LOI (letter of intent not interest) can hold help you. As it gets closer to when school starts, ADCOMs are going to want to accept those off the waitlist that really desire to go to their school. An LOI which clearly states you will go to their school if accepted makes it clear to them you will attend.

I only interviewed at one instate school and waitlisted there. I sent in an LOI today b/c i really desparately want to go there. I don't think it's bad to send in an LOI. I talked to a med student on the admis committee saturday and she said definately send in a letter, update them, tell them you're still interested. Mostly to put your name out there so that they remember you when it comes time to move down the waitlist. In mine, I mentioned how it was my first choice and included an update of things that I've done that pertain to why i want to go there.