The value of noise cancelling headphones.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spirit of the Student Doc

Worrying will never change the outcome
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is just going to be a short thread here.

But, I recently purchased a pair of Bose qc15 headphones and have found them to be quite useful.
http://www.cnet.com/products/bose-quiet-comfort-15/

-It cost me $135 but I feel that it was worth it. Just curious though, what do the rest of you use?

Members don't see this ad.

I use Max Lite ear plugs.

On the downside, they are disposable and only cancel ~30dB.
On the upside, they're cheap and you can sleep in 'em.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I use the bose noise canceling earbuds. From my experience they've been about as effective as the headphones and their size makes them convenient to keep around all the time (never know when you will need them).

Reactions: 1 user
I simply yell loudly at a constant pitch I have trained myself to ignore. This both drowns out background noise and generally increases my performance on the curve relative to the other people taking the exam in my location.

Reactions: 47 users
I use the bose noise canceling earbuds. From my experience they've been about as effective as the headphones and their size makes them convenient to keep around all the time (never know when you will need them).
http://www.cnet.com/products/bose-quietcomfort-20/

I gave those serious thought. But I won't be active when using them (gym, running, walking). So I figure I should be just fine. Great choice though.

I simply yell loudly at a constant pitch I have trained myself to ignore. This both drowns out background noise and generally increases my performance on the curve relative to the other people taking the exam in my location.

....o_O

You're a true warrior. Doing stuff to annoy other test takers before the exam for personal gain.

Bit the bullet and bought Bose Quite Comfort 15 for $299 a year ago. Best decision ever. I could study for the MCAT while my housemates were partying in the common room right outside my door. Now the Quiet Comfort 25 is out, which I suspect is even better.

Reactions: 1 users
I could study for the MCAT while my housemates were partying in the common room right outside my door.

Wow I should save up some $ so that I too can purchase magical headphones of self-control and responsible decision making. Those would be so handy

Reactions: 4 users
Bit the bullet and bought Bose Quite Comfort 15 for $299 a year ago. Best decision ever. I could study for the MCAT while my housemates were partying in the common room right outside my door. Now the Quiet Comfort 25 is out, which I suspect is even better.
Awesome, we both have the same pair of headphones..... Although, I paid less than half of what you paid. $135 at Target, they're making room for the QC25 at the same price range.

The 25 seems cool. http://www.cnet.com/products/bose-quietcomfort-25/
But if you have the 15 you should just stick with 'em.

Wow I should save up some $ so that I too can purchase magical headphones of self-control and responsible decision making. Those would be so handy
I get that you're anti-noise cancelling headphones/earbuds but some of us would enjoy our enviroment to be a bit more conducive to studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get that you're anti-noise cancelling headphones/earbuds but some of us would enjoy our enviroment to be a bit more conducive to studying.
What? Dude I love noise cancelling headphones, I'm an avid gamer and I need them so sound doesn't leak out and annoy people. I'm just trying to be funny

Reactions: 3 users
For $300 I could buy a couple thousand pairs of earplugs.

:shrug: But to each his own I guess.

What? Dude I love noise cancelling headphones, I'm an avid gamer and I need them so sound doesn't leak out and annoy people. I'm just trying to be funny
Oh, you're just being funny.

My bad. Glad to meet another user :cool:

For $300 I could buy a couple thousand pairs of earplugs.

:shrug: But to each his own I guess.

^IMO, earplugs don't get rid of all the noise. Plus they tend to fall out. When I study with my Bose headphones, I play some white noise like Rainy Mood. It really drowns out most distractions. Some people can study with noise. I prefer complete silence (or white noise) when I need to cram.

If you drop $300 on a pair of headphones, you too would make sure your investment was worth it. ;) Plus, my MCAT was less than a week away. I swear I'm not usually that lame.

Pros and Cons if anyone is interested.
5. Noise-Canceling Headphones Are Ideal for Studying
Many students find it hard to concentrate, especially when sounds are distracting them at all times. Using noise-cancelling headphones helps students to block out the external world and concentrate on what they need to learn.

Students who have been in the habit of turning up the volume in order to focus find that they can study even better when their music at lower volumes and when outside distractions are gone. While it is possible to turn the music off and only use the noise-cancelling effects of the headphones, many students find the humming effect that can result from music headphones to be even more distracting.
http://www.ebay.com/gds/10-Pros-and...ncelling-Headphones-/10000000177628920/g.html

^IMO, earplugs don't get rid of all the noise. Plus they tend to fall out. When I study with my Bose headphones, I play some white noise like Rainy Mood. It really drowns out most distractions. Some people can study with noise. I prefer complete silence (or white noise) when I need to cram.

If you drop $300 on a pair of headphones, you too would make sure your investment was worth it. ;) Plus, my MCAT was less than a week away. I swear I'm not usually that lame.
Classical Highlights on I-heart Radio isn't so bad. The sound of rain is cool too. I'm going to try it out and see what happens.

Classical Highlights on I-heart Radio isn't so bad. The sound of rain is cool too. I'm going to try it out and see what happens.

Ah I haven't tried that. For some reason, music tends to distract me. I also sometimes use simplynoise.com, if you prefer static noises to rain noises. Lol I know that sounds lame.

Yeah, Bose QCs were extremely popular for studying where I went to school. They were infinitely more popular than Beats (but I went to a nerdy pre-med school).

I just crank my iPod up for maximum ear canal destruction. No need for noise cancelling tech when my desecrated hair cells no longer register those pesky sounds.

I should buy one of those noise-canceling earbuds though. They look great.

Reactions: 5 users
Ah I haven't tried that. For some reason, music tends to distract me. I also sometimes use simplynoise.com, if you prefer static noises to rain noises. Lol I know that sounds lame.

Yeah, Bose QCs were extremely popular for studying where I went to school. They were infinitely more popular than Beats (but I went to a nerdy pre-med school).
I would say beats only advertises better. Remember skull candy? Beats will be a thing of the past, but Bose will endure on.
-I like changing noise up. I'll give both rain and static a shot.

Noise canceling headphones are great because you don't have to make yourself deaf to drown out whatever ambient noise you have. I need to get a pair...

I'm using the simplyrain one now. It's actually rather useful. There is some shockingly annoying people next to me at the library at the moment and seeing how I'll be making my coffee run in an hour, I'd rather not move.

I wish there was a way to make these people leave. Sorry, but your personal life problems aren't my concern. (That and this is a fairly large library..... I'm on floor 3, of 4+Basement level+t1,t2,t3,t4, and maybe a t5?.... Very large and a large common area and coffee shop for those who want to talk.) Thanks for the app, bud. Appreciate it.

I personally don't like noise-cancelling headphones because they are usually too big. I have an awesome pair of noise-isolating earbuds that act like earplugs when they are in with the same squishy material, but also sound awesome. I can just throw them in a small case in my bookbag and carry them around easily. I personally don't find the noise dampening difference to be very different between the two. I use mine for studying, commuting, flying, and it does an amazing job of shutting the outside world out.

I can't seem to get those cheap things into my ear. Tiny ear holes keep popping them out.

Are there any solutions for noise cancelling during sleep that aren't ear plugs?

For studying, I just play white noise or classical music with regular headphones. Seems to work fine next to my gamer roomie.

Why spend so much money on noise cancelling headphones? I just shoved a screwdriver into both of my ears, destroyed my eardrums, and, whatya know, free noise cancellation.

I can't seem to get those cheap things into my ear. Tiny ear holes keep popping them out.

Are there any solutions for noise cancelling during sleep that aren't ear plugs?

For studying, I just play white noise or classical music with regular headphones. Seems to work fine next to my gamer roomie.
are you sure you are putting them in correctly if they fall out easily all the time. If properly inserted they are pretty much entirely in your ear canal and makes it pretty hard to just fall out.

are you sure you are putting them in correctly if they fall out easily all the time. If properly inserted they are pretty much entirely in your ear canal and makes it pretty hard to just fall out.
Mmhmm. And if I force it too inside, it creates really painful pressure deep inside my ear.

I've found an article about these "headband earphones" : http://www.nosleeplessnights.com/headphones-for-sleeping/ .
You can exercise with it and sleep with it. Very cool, but not sure how effective it is at cancelling out noise.

Bose QC15 headphones ftw. Honestly one of the best purchases ive ever made. Ive had them for about two years now and they are still awesome.

Bose is waaaay overpriced for the sound quality. Look on any audiophile forum/resource and you'll understand. Beats too. You don't even need noise cancelling headphones to get a quiet study environment; a really good pair of over-ear cans should isolate standard background noise if you're playing music at a reasonable volume. I got these for about $180 and the sound quality is truly orgasmic and I can't hear a thing with them on and playing.

I refuse to get over the ear headphones.

Bose is waaaay overpriced for the sound quality. Look on any audiophile forum/resource and you'll understand. Beats too. You don't even need noise cancelling headphones to get a quiet study environment; a really good pair of over-ear cans should isolate standard background noise if you're playing music at a reasonable volume. I got these for about $180 and the sound quality is truly orgasmic and I can't hear a thing with them on and playing.
I bought the bose qc15 for $135................ cheaper than yours.

Beats by Dre or Bose?

I have Shure SE215 earbuds which are probably the best you can get under $100. They're not noise-cancelling, but they fit so snugly in my ear that I can't hear the outside world at all. Plus, the sound quality is excellent.

Beats by Dre or Bose?

If you're gunna shell out Beat's like money I would go with the Bose or even VModa (one of my favorite brands).
Beats sound quality is pretty awful and they break pretty easily.

If you're gunna shell out Beat's like money I would go with the Bose or even VModa (one of my favorite brands).
Beats sound quality is pretty awful and they break pretty easily.
Yeah but if you get Bose or VModa you don't get to look like a tool when you take them out in public. That's the real appeal of Beats

Yeah but if you get Bose or VModa you don't get to look like a tool when you take them out in public. That's the real appeal of Beats
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

BUTTTTT you forgot to mention the part where you get fined 10K by the NFL too if they catch you walking the streets with them...

You'd also likely need a proper headphone amp to get the most out of those. Also if people are getting noise-cancelling/isolating headphones just for background noise, sound quality probably won't be a huge factor. Beyerdynamic is great though. Picked up Sennheiser HD598s for $99 on Black Friday :D

You'd also likely need a proper headphone amp to get the most out of those. Also if people are getting noise-cancelling/isolating headphones just for background noise, sound quality probably won't be a huge factor. Beyerdynamic is great though. Picked up Sennheiser HD598s for $99 on Black Friday :D
I have a pair of HD598 and LOVE them. They sound amazing, however they have an open design and sound leaks like crazy. I can hear everything around me and everyone around me can hear what I'm listening to.

I have a pair of HD598 and LOVE them. They sound amazing, however they have an open design and sound leaks like crazy. I can hear everything around me and everyone around me can hear what I'm listening to.
You should have gone with Beats by Dre.

No one buys Bose or Beats for sound quality. They buy Bose for noise cancellation and Beats because they look cool.