The Value of Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElijahFree

Reaction score
Hello all, just wanted to pick some brains on how valuable research experience would be for someone who is interested primarily in Family Medicine/Primary care. I might have an opportunity to do some research with a microbiology professor this Fall semester which I think would be fun, but I am wondering if the time commitment is worth it versus volunteering or spending more time on studying for classes or just fun?

Any wisdom/advice welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

First you need to get into medical school and they expect you to have research, as over 85% of applicants have.
Second, interest in FM/PC while applying is no guarantee that is what you will be doing after medical school
Third, you should be doing, research, volunteering and studying
@ElijahFree I agree with this 100%.

Also, accepting this position would give you the chance to build a relationship with this professor, which may lead to more research opportunities and a good LOR.

At the end of the day, it will boost your application. Extra plus if you think it sounds fun.

Reactions: 3 users
My opinion is probably biased coming from a research-heavy institution; however, I do believe that every physician should have at least dabbled in research to gain an appreciation and understanding of the scientific method and research process. You do not need to end up liking research (I certainly didn't and still don't), but being able to properly interpret a study in light of its limitations, and to effectively articulate your own viewpoints in writing are both essential skills for a physician to have. There is plenty of research that occurs in a primary care setting as well, so being interested in FM/PC are not good reasons to not engage in research. Just my thoughts

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, just wanted to pick some brains on how valuable research experience would be for someone who is interested primarily in Family Medicine/Primary care. I might have an opportunity to do some research with a microbiology professor this Fall semester which I think would be fun, but I am wondering if the time commitment is worth it versus volunteering or spending more time on studying for classes or just fun?

Any wisdom/advice welcome.
-What is the time commitment expected?
- Will the PI be reasonable about decreasing expectations during midterm and finals' studying weeks?
-Have you talked to others in the lab about how user-friendly the Prof might be and how much you'd interact? (It's hard to get a decent LOR if you never talk.)

All these issues aside, one term of research can only help your application. And you'll be expected to read and understand scholarly papers for the rest of a medical career, so it's good to get a handle on it.

And if you like it, you can always continue or find a new lab.

Reactions: 2 users
-What is the time commitment expected?
- Will the PI be reasonable about decreasing expectations during midterm and finals' studying weeks?
-Have you talked to others in the lab about how user-friendly the Prof might be and how much you'd interact? (It's hard to get a decent LOR if you never talk.)

All these issues aside, one term of research can only help your application. And you'll be expected to read and understand scholarly papers for the rest of a medical career, so it's good to get a handle on it.

And if you like it, you can always continue or find a new lab.
The professor is new to my university and my previous bio prof offered to introduce me to him and to ask about research opportunities. I don't really have much information on him, but I am in contact with my original prof and talking to him about it.

Reactions: 1 user