The "Waiting Place:" Sharing ways to make the most of the wait

phdbound2010

5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2010
middle of sugarcane fields, Louisiana
Status
Non-Student
Hello fellow forum browsers!

(WARNING: Long post follows…read at your own risk)

We all have 3 weeks to go until we have a chance of some certainty in our lives. Until then, it’s tempting to check the AADSAS site and student doctor net 3 times per day. Soooo tempting….yet so not what any of us really want to be doing with our time.

I figured it would be nice to share what are doing while we wait; while we dream about moving to the school of our dreams; think about how well our interview went; or, even those times when we start exploring plan B; when we wonder what we did that resulted in no interviews; when we are tempted to think of all the small things we should have done in those interviews we may have been lucky to get.

I teach second grade, and even my 7 and 8 year old kids know how agonizing Dr. Seuss’s “Waiting place” can be. We are in that waiting place, there is no way out, so I’m hoping we can help each other make that waiting place as productive and meaningful as all the other periods in our life.

While I am stuck in this waiting place, I do check the AADSAS site more often than I should. I also read through these forums hoping for the confirmation that I am seeking, but that nobody can provide.

I try to live in the moment.

I am focusing more on my job as a teacher. Kids are refreshing. If you are lucky to have young children in your life, embrace the fact that they are neither impressed with your achievements, nor disappointed with your failures. They don’t interview people, but they are the best judges of character (perhaps the adcoms should have a few kids on their interview panel…) They are good people to keep as company, and will treat you the same whether or not you get accepted to the school of your dreams.

If you don’t have any young people in your life, go find some! There are many opportunities to volunteer at schools in your area, and much need for driven and professional role models. I suggest Junior Achievement as a great opportunity to volunteer your time to promote financial literacy among children.

I started running again. I’ve been saying I would start for the past year. It’s good to do something that requires only putting one foot in front of the other. It takes my mind off of the uncertainty, and my dog enjoys the extra exercise.

The uncertainty has also given me time to consider my career goals. I applied with a very clear idea of what I wanted to do as a dentist, but I have had the chance to further clarify my plans. I know that if I get into the school of my choice, I will be able to follow the path I envisioned. I also know that if I do not get into any schools that give me the opportunities I seek, I have many options that will enable to be an even more effective once I do enter dental school (and a world class PhD program, hopefully!).

That's enough from me, now here is your assignment:

Share some uplifting and positive things from yourself. What are you doing to make the best of your time in the “waiting place”? Lets make this place a source of energy that inspires positive action.

Best wishes to everyone...I hope you all get the opportunities that allow you to do amazing things for the profession.

Drew

Habbas

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
The wait is totally killing me, ive been measuring time in weeks because saying 3 weeks makes it seem much smaller.
Lately, I've just been keeping morale up, attempting to do schoolwork while disracting myself by looking at dental procedures up on youtube and trying to think of all the oppourtunities that may await :luck:

OP
P

phdbound2010

5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Keep on rolling, Habbas! I like the idea of watching people perform the procedures that you will be able to perform one day...very motivating. Hopefully you will post videos of yourself performing procedures for others to watch while they are waiting to be accepted :)

Aug 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Good post, phdbound.

I do agree that kids sometimes have the best insight into life. Everything is so clear to them, ya know?

Right now, I'm just waiting for Dec 1st just like everybody else. Dec 1st CAN'T come faster, I feel; however, I know that it will be here in the blink of an eye.

I'm just working full-time as a research tech, working out everyday after work with the goal of breaking 405lb squat before Dschool starts, eating healthfully, spending more time with my family, and just enjoying life as is.

Waiting sucks, but we all know it'll have gone by super fast once we get there! Hang on tight, everyone!

OP
P

phdbound2010

5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Thanks, TK.

Yes, kids can help you keep a balanced and sane perspective on life.

Good luck with your 405lbs goal.

Very good point about how fast that day will come. Dental school will also go by fast. Before you know it, you will have the chance to use your hands to help people in a powerful way.

Aug 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm still in undergrad, so I do have my classes to distract me, but they don't take up nearly enough time to keep my mind off of December 1st. I am currently working on getting a 2nd job just to distract myself a little. I am also trying a lot harder to spend time with friends. Who knows where I will be next year, and these next few months may be my last chance to be with the people that I have done everything with for the past 3 and a half years. To fill up all my other free time (because I seriously have too much of it-my classes are super easy this semester), I am watching all 10 seasons of Friends. It may not be the most noble activity, but it definitely keeps my mind busy with something other than dental school. :)

dentalpath

Dental Student
Jan 28, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I am in the waiting place with all of you. Can't wait for Dec 1 to get here. I hoever have a full time job that takes my mind off things at least for a few hours each day. A really good friend of mine (An international medical graduate) called me up last night and told she had gotten a face pre match (on the spot right after her interview) for a pediatric residency. Just hearing about such good news made me so happy for her. Went out and celebrated her success and it kinda gave me encouragement to feel good about things to come. I tried my best and gave it my best shot and I am a firm believer that whatever happens, happens for good. I have been reading, watching tons of new movies, working out and off-course shopping to keep myself sane :)

Oct 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I've been playing more videogames, reading a few books, working out more, and watching more movies on Netflix. I think the application process is so long and drawn out that we forget the fun things we used to do in our free time!

Aug 4, 2010
Morgantown, WV
Status
Pre-Dental
Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer!! It's always good for the soul and with the uncertainty of getting acceptance, it's good preparation for if you have to reapply. I've been working as a dental assistant again one day a week, volunteering one day, and spending as much time as I can doing things I enjoy (reading, video games, catching up on shows). This has also been a time for me to beef up my social life, since who knows how entrenched in school I'll be if I get accepted.
Also, formulate your Plan B. If you don't get accepted, you will be well prepared. If you do, think of how much fun it will be to put your Plan B in your mental shredder...:D

Jun 3, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I've just been trying to keep busy with classes, work, working out and hanging with friends....and EKL622, I too have been working my way through all 10 seasons of Friends:D

The waiting is driving me nuts though...I'm seriously contemplating making one of those paper chains that you rip a link off of every night...

Oct 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I have a cubical job so I day dream....when I get home I try to stay busy with reading. I am breaking November up into sections....such as said before...Harry Potter next weekend, then Thanksgiving then December 1st. I also am watching my seasons of Friends....the wait is getting long but its nice to know others feel the same way.