The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd just like to comment on how you guys are feeding into the generalizations:
Drunk SDN morphed into greek SDN. Coincidence? I think not;)
Most people think that greek organizations are just there to party or whatever but that's really not the case. I mean, we do throw some kick ass parties but there is so much more than that. For example, did you know that sororities and fraternities do a TON of community service and fundraising for charities? When I was the philanthropy chair for my chapter we raised over $5000 for Children's Miracle Network and got a bunch of supplies donated to the local humane society and that was just in one week. That's just one example of what being in a sorority is all about.

Sorry to make this a little serious, it just really bugs me when people outside the system bash the system. What you see on TV and in movies is nowhere near the experience I had.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to make this a little serious, it just really bugs me when people outside the system bash the system. What you see on TV and in movies is nowhere near the experience I had.

Agreed.

I went into undergrad with all of those stereotypes in my head and certain I would not join one. Sophomore year came around and I never looked back. If I had ever felt it wasn't worthwhile, I would have dropped. But my sisters really are my lifelong friends, and we were so much more than parties on the weekends.

And if I had EVER been hazed, I would have dropped immediately and reported them. Certain group antics are highlighted by the media, and make it bad for the rest of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, small world! What chapter were you in? I was Epsilon Nu at Oklahoma State.
Lambda Eta- Wake Forest University. My pledge class just had our 3D ceremony.

Winter is coming.

Most people think that greek organizations are just there to party or whatever but that's really not the case. I mean, we do throw some kick ass parties but there is so much more than that. For example, did you know that sororities and fraternities do a TON of community service and fundraising for charities? When I was the philanthropy chair for my chapter we raised over $5000 for Children's Miracle Network and got a bunch of supplies donated to the local humane society and that was just in one week. That's just one example of what being in a sorority is all about.

Hmmmm. Sounds a little self-serving to me. Let's be honest, almost nobody joins for charity work, you join for the social scene. The rest is just trying to justify the existence of the system.

Hmmmm. Sounds a little self-serving to me. Let's be honest, almost nobody joins for charity work, you join for the social scene. The rest is just trying to justify the existence of the system.

And you are judging people you don't know.

And you are judging people you don't know.
Am I? I was judging the system. I have no problem with the people in it or with Lissarae06. I have just never heard a guy say to me, "oooo, I am joining this fraternity because they are so generous, or kind, or charitable". But I have heard lots of them mention that kind of stuff after graduating.

Am I? I was judging the system. I have no problem with the people in it or with Lissarae06. I have just never heard a guy say to me, "oooo, I am joining this fraternity because they are so generous, or kind, or charitable". But I have heard lots of them mention that kind of stuff after graduating.

I would also argue that sororitiesare very different from fraternities. I just don't like people making massive generalizations.

I joined because of the networking opportunities, and to join a group of strong, independent women who could help me grow in college and after. Yes I am saying that after 3 years out, but I said it before I joined to. I didn't join for parties.

If you weren't in one though, isn't everything we say going to sound "self serving"?

I would also argue that sororities in general are very different from fraternities. I just don't like people making massive generalizations.

I joined because of the networking opportunities, and to join a group of strong, independent women who could help me grow in college and after. Yes I am saying that after 3 years out, but I said it before I joined to. I didn't join for parties.

If you weren't in one though, isn't everything we say going to sound "self serving"?
You make some fair points.
I went to an all-women college, so I can understand you reasons for joining, but we didn't have sororities. I was definitely referring more to the frat guys I have met.

As for your last comment, agreed almost everything we say about ourselves and experiences are self-serving.

Still the usage of that term is more to point out a bias. Because the system is criticized so often (by people like me for example), justifications are built to respond to that criticism. It would be self-serving because it is not an unbiased response, and often not really true.

Based on your response, I would say that is not true. And good for you!

I apologize if I was acting superior and judgmental. It was wrong of me. :(

There's nothing wrong with joining for the social scene though. Nothing, and it doesn't make me less of a good person if I did join for the social scene. At my school over 70% of females are Greek and around 90% rush at least once, often twice. Your college experience is drastically changed by being in one of these organizations and I would argue that it's changed for the better. Frankly, I joined because I needed more friends who weren't guys. The girls I'll be graduating with on Monday are my lifelong sisters who will always be there for me when I need them. I can say that after joining, I learned and grew so much and came to understand and value the non-social aspects as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

There are also fraternities (although maybe in a slightly different sense) that are based on academics or areas of interest. I know of a few at Hopkins that were like that. And I don't mean that you just belonged to a group. They actually had a house and everything. And then I know of one at Penn State that is for honors students or something and they are not allowed to have any sort of party at their house that involves alcohol. Yes, many have huge parties, but they do a lot of good too. I always kind of wonder if I would have ended up joining one if my school had the option to.

I was trying to find a MEME that says:

"Stupid comments are Stupid" to take back my previous post regarding sororities, but ran out of time.

Please just accept that I was wrong.

I was trying to find a MEME that says:

"Stupid comments are Stupid" to take back my previous post regarding sororities, but ran out of time.

Please just accept that I was wrong.

It's ok. I respect your opinions, I just want to make sure people have the facts they need before those opinions are formed and cemented :)

Woah. Wait. We're still talking about Phi Mu right?? My friend from when I was like 4 was in Phi Mu at Wake. She graduated last year.

PM me your friends name. It would be impossible for me not to know her!

Winter is coming.

This seems appropriate for this thread
party-fails-believe-it-barney-stinson-alcohol-salad.jpg

This seems appropriate for this thread
party-fails-believe-it-barney-stinson-alcohol-salad.jpg

Thanks sheep! Let's take this thread back to it's original purpose! Drinking- an activity enjoyed by Greeks and non-Greeks alike! It's free beer Thursday!

Winter is coming.

Alright, here's one of many stories. Keep in mind this was only a few years ago, so I was well out of undergrad.

Anyway, it was my birthday and husband was out of town at a conference. A few coworkers took me out to a bar close to my house. Many, many, many giant beers and shots later we are stumbling back to my neighborhood and climbing the fence to get into the neighborhood pool. A few minutes later, I'm skinny dipping with my coworkers and my boss. Wouldn't have been so bad if I worked at a pizza joint, but at that point I thought the job was going to be my lifelong career and I'd already climber pretty high on the corporate ladder.

Anyway, after about an hour someone made a beer run to the gas station on the corner and we continued to drink until 4am. We all stumbled back to my place, I dressed everyone (even the guys!) in clean pajamas, and we all passed out in various places.

The next morning our boss called the director of our center (her boss) and told her we all got food poisoning at my birthday dinner and wouldn't be in. ;)

The worst three things about this story:

1. I had to convince my husband that all the scrapes and bruises on my ass and thighs were from fence hopping.

2. I realized the next day that I had the key to the pool gate in my bag the whole time.

3. There are pictures of it all somewhere.

This is pretty tame compared to my undergrad days, but I wanted to let all you youngin's know that there's still a whole lot of fun to be had once you "grow up".

-I danced (in a group) with one of the interviewers from the vet school at a bar during a parasitology conference. Too bad I did not get an interview this year.

-I was at the local gay bar with friends of mine. This was my first time at a gay bar and on of the first times I was out drinking. When I went to use the bathroom, it took me by surprise that there were guys and girls in the girls bathroom and that the male staff inside was wearing a skirt with a mop bucket. I asked my friend, a little too loudly, why there were men in here. The janitor mistook it for total drunkeness and said to my friend, "Girl, you need to go in there with her before she passes out!" when I entered the stall.

- Later on that same night, I was sitting outside on the curb talking about penis lengths.

I have better drunk stories about people I know.

Now, I am wondering if "gay bar" is actually the correct term. We had a bar geared towards gay/lesbian/etc. open in my university town but it was referred to as the "alternative bar".

When you are in another country perhaps not drink a shot called the "Irish Car Bomb" - yeah so :wtf: who came up with these shot names???? and then thought they were appropriate? Thankfully the Irish people are chill mofos, so we have decided in Ireland "Irish Car Bombs" might as well just be "US Car Bombs" really. :laugh:

When you are in another country perhaps not drink a shot called the "Irish Car Bomb" - yeah so :wtf: who came up with these shot names???? and then thought they were appropriate? Thankfully the Irish people are chill mofos, so we have decided in Ireland "Irish Car Bombs" might as well just be "US Car Bombs" really. :laugh:

Not anywhere near the same level of (politically) inappropriate, but my favourite inappropriately named drink is totally Jungle Jizz.

Not anywhere near the same level of (politically) inappropriate, but my favourite inappropriately named drink is totally Jungle Jizz.

Oh sweet cat's asses. That sounds so gross. I cannot handle fruity or creamy drinks. Give me an IPA or a gin and tonic and keep the frou frou, sticky, milkshake drinks for yourself!

No offense to fruity drink drinkers, but they're just gross to me. I prefer ALL of the sugar in my beverage to be alcohol.

My 44 oz of fruity drink, but gin and tonics are my favorites.

Winter is coming.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1337306648.897995.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 89
Never had a gin and tonic, plenty of gin though. A couple weekends ago we had a cleaning out the closet party at my friends apartment to finish off all their liquor stock piles. By the end of night I had my own bottle of gin that I was drinking straight out of and people were throwing up in cups in the middle of a drinking game :laugh:.

This is my BFs favorite drink ever, and as he was about to order one in Ireland, he looked at me and said "How do I order an Irish Car Bomb in Ireland?:eek:" :laugh:

Never had a gin and tonic, plenty of gin though. A couple weekends ago we had a cleaning out the closet party at my friends apartment to finish off all their liquor stock piles. By the end of night I had my own bottle of gin that I was drinking straight out of and people were throwing up in cups in the middle of a drinking game :laugh:.

How have you never had a gin and tonic? Blasphemy! Soooo refreshing.

My friends in England drank "snakebites" half cider half beer with a dash of grenadine or black currant syrup. My friend who tended bar says they can't officially sell you one anymore because they're a binge drink, but they will sell you the fixings and you can make one.

My friends in England drank "snakebites" half cider half beer with a dash of grenadine or black currant syrup. My friend who tended bar says they can't officially sell you one anymore because they're a binge drink, but they will sell you the fixings and you can make one.

Anything is a binge drink in England. Come on now. Or really, anywhere. Personally, their whole "three trebles for a fiver" deal is dangerous. That's about 12 drinks for uhh $7.

I do miss Skittles though. That was a good drink. And sooo pretty.

Ew. Gross. But sounds like something we did on State Patty's Day. We randomly found a bottle of rum behind the couch and just started passing it around and drinking from it and chasing it was coke from the fridge. Probably part of the reason why I had to hold a trash can for my ex while he puked. Or the hot tub night where we just passed around Rumple minze and chocolate syrup and poured shots into people's mouths. Apparently I ended up just sliding down a wall and falling over and was put to bed. Found this out like a week later when I was trying to figure out where the scratches on my back came from. I'm never letting people pour shots into my mouth again.

But on the topic of gin. It smells like Christmas trees and therefore creeps me out a little bit. But I've had some tasty gin buckets so it's all good.

Anything is a binge drink in England. Come on now. Or really, anywhere. Personally, their whole "three trebles for a fiver" deal is dangerous. That's about 12 drinks for uhh $7.

I do miss Skittles though. That was a good drink. And sooo pretty.
Never been there myself. May have to drop in on devyn when the BF and I hit Ireland though.

I loved Germany. I was in Bavaria during Euro cup '04 and it was epic fun. We also went hiking in the alps with a 5 gallon keg for 4 people.

I'd love to go back to Germany and visit it properly. I was only in Munich for Oktoberfest, which I honestly don't remember much of, and feel I pretty much just acted the stupid American. My other ex is actually from Germany, so I was a little sad I was never able to go with him when he went back to visit family.

But on the topic of gin. It smells like Christmas trees and therefore creeps me out a little bit. But I've had some tasty gin buckets so it's all good.
I ALWAYS say it tastes like Christmas trees and people are like you're wrong.

Gin and tonic with lime is probably one of my favorite all time beach drinks!!! It's so delicious! And instead of Christmas trees, I pretend its minty and it's the liquor that gives you fresh breath to drink! (or at least it makes me feel better when I say that :laugh:) mmmm beach and day drinking. sooo clooossee!!!!

Okay kids, I used to think gin was Christmas tree city. Now, I know I'm enlightened. Gin is warm in the winter and cool and fizzy in the summer. I could extoll the amazingly delicious properties of a well-made gin and tonic all evening. Instead, I'll just continue drinking gin and tonics tonight and hope someone posts a hilarious drink story.

Yes, I am drinking. GAME ON. ;)

Gin and tonic with lime is probably one of my favorite all time beach drinks!!! It's so delicious! And instead of Christmas trees, I pretend its minty and it's the liquor that gives you fresh breath to drink! (or at least it makes me feel better when I say that :laugh:) mmmm beach and day drinking. sooo clooossee!!!!

You and I would get along so well!

Solid late night for the foxhunter

Last edited:
This is my BFs favorite drink ever, and as he was about to order one in Ireland, he looked at me and said "How do I order an Irish Car Bomb in Ireland?:eek:" :laugh:

:laugh: It's true though - not the best name for a drink :rolleyes:

Never been there myself. May have to drop in on devyn when the BF and I hit Ireland though.

Ummm you better!!!!!!! :D

Do it!! Ireland is fun. Dublin was one of my favorite cities that I visited while abroad.

Yeah Dublin is the best - great city to go out & drink in :)

You and I would get along so well!
Foxhunter you are really freaking me out.

Every time a read a post from you, it is about drinking, or guys, or guys in bars, or guys in bars drinking, etc.

Which is FINE with me.

It is just, I look at your avatar of Arya who looks like 7 or 8 years old and I'm like... whoa, that girl is TOO young to be doing that stuff! :laugh:

Honestly, I think you look like Arya now. And I think you have been tragically corrupted so young. It just seems so WRONG.